Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby politics89 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:47 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
Leo wrote:Sorry to hear it, edward. As others have said, you will have great options elsewhere.

Two other dings posted to LSN in the last hour.

How do you guys check this? Are you just watching the scrolling updates on the main page or is there a clever way to do it?


http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Seems it's just been auto-rejects (no offense) aside from Edward.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Jessasaurus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:56 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
drawstring wrote:I don't think it's all at once.


OH SWEET LORD, NO

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm

When will we know that the storm has passed??

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 pm

aldiddy wrote:When will we know that the storm has passed??


when we've all been accepted/rejected/waitlisted

but actually? i'd give it at least another hour or two before thinking you're in the clear (for now)

Pau.C.
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Pau.C. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:12 pm

.
Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:20 pm

I wish I didn't know about this wave until after we were sure it was over. I just watched my email inbox get another unread message and my heart stopped. God, Groupon, I don't want your deals right now.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Jessasaurus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:23 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:I wish I didn't know about this wave until after we were sure it was over. I just watched my email inbox get another unread message and my heart stopped. God, Groupon, I don't want your deals right now.


+1

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
residentemma wrote:
selden wrote:
Pau.C. wrote:This is what I'm thinking.

I just don't know how to tell my family and friends that even though I got into some great schools, I'm going to wait a year and try again. I feel like they won't understand.


Whenever I think like this, I wonder if I have a good enough reason. After all, if you can't make someone else who is pretty close to the situation understand, maybe its because your reason isn't sound enough. I dunno.


Well... what's your reason?


Sorry I'm super late on this, but I really want to go into Academia... and going to a T3 is probably the best way to do that.

P.S. Sorry to all those who got dinged!


I think that makes sense, but personally I would frame it more as "I want to take time off" or "got a job I want more experience at before school" or "burnt out from UG!" or "no need to rush the legal market sucks right now!" otherwise people just don't understand. I took some time off and this was always easiest.

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:I wish I didn't know about this wave until after we were sure it was over. I just watched my email inbox get another unread message and my heart stopped. God, Groupon, I don't want your deals right now.


+1


+1 +1

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:04 pm

So...are we safe?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Seemed like a small batch. I wonder if they are waiting to get more of us tomorrow.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm

So strange.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 pm

The thing we have to remember is due to the nature of TLS and LSN (self-selected towards more numerically-qualified applicants) dings will be underrepresented compared to JS2s or JS1s. There may have been a good chunk of emails that went out, but to applicants who are less likely to be on this site or LSN.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Whoa. I tried staying off TLS today to get some work done and lower my cortisol levels (didn't work) and I come back to this. Wow, sorry to everyone who got rejected.

I saw some of the updates on LSN but it seemed like they were mostly long-shots. And then I wee this Edward dude with killer numbers who had an interview in December. FML. Still hanging in here with a JS1 and lowish GPA. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

Edward, please tell us that you're a convicted serial killer with bad grammar or something :| . Otherwise a lot of us in here are probably toast.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
residentemma wrote:
selden wrote:
Pau.C. wrote:This is what I'm thinking.

I just don't know how to tell my family and friends that even though I got into some great schools, I'm going to wait a year and try again. I feel like they won't understand.


Whenever I think like this, I wonder if I have a good enough reason. After all, if you can't make someone else who is pretty close to the situation understand, maybe its because your reason isn't sound enough. I dunno.


Well... what's your reason?


Sorry I'm super late on this, but I really want to go into Academia... and going to a T3 is probably the best way to do that.

P.S. Sorry to all those who got dinged!


I am not sure where you got in or your background, but I am also interested in academia as well and have done some research on the career path, so thought I might share some thoughts. You're 100% right that pedigree matters in academia, at least at the top. And we all know that HYS do dominate academic placements, but as far as I can tell they aren't the only game in town. CCN and P grads also do OK in the academic job market, especially if you plan to do a PhD in a top program after/during law school (Chicago is easily number 4 in the nation for academic placement).

HYS-or-bust is definitely a fair decision, and your family and friends should support you in it. All I'm saying is before you wait to reapply I might (a) check out if the other places you got in could serve your career goals and (b) think about how waiting a year would change your application.

Good luck, whatever you decide, man!

PS Your post reminded me of a buddy who got into H and Y. His family didn't know much about law school and he had to have a very difficult conversation with them about why he was turning down Harvard (isn't Harvard always the best at everything?) for Yale.

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kobaine51 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Pau.C. wrote:Sorry I'm super late on this, but I really want to go into Academia... and going to a T3 is probably the best way to do that.

P.S. Sorry to all those who got dinged!


Better to wait a year and do something worthwhile than accept a permanent diminution of your career prospects. Unless you are comfortable with just having whatever you are given, never settle.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:40 pm

IrishJew wrote:Whoa. I tried staying off TLS today to get some work done and lower my cortisol levels (didn't work) and I come back to this. Wow, sorry to everyone who got rejected.

I saw some of the updates on LSN but it seemed like they were mostly long-shots. And then I wee this Edward dude with killer numbers who had an interview in December. FML. Still hanging in here with a JS1 and lowish GPA. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

Edward, please tell us that you're a convicted serial killer with bad grammar or something :| . Otherwise a lot of us in here are probably toast.


Haha, I'm not a serial killer (sorry?? lol). I can speculate as to why I got dinged, so here it goes:

The good news for you guys:

While a bunch of people will be rejected simply because there are similar candidates who they liked a little bit more, I don't think that's the case. I believe there was something very specific that she didn't like about me. I'm just saying this based on the timing of my ding.

That means people with similar numbers or even lower numbers don't need to worry yet

Now as to what was wrong with my app. I really don't know.

The only thing I could think of is that the skype name that I used for the interview is very close to my name here, so I was easily identifiable. While I don't believe I posted anything here that could be worthy of rejection, who knows? Again, this is all pure speculation, and I doubt I'll ever know.

Good luck to all other TLSers. Hope none of you guys follow me :)

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I think that people will start getting "held" tomorrow -- based on my (cloudy) memory of last year's thread.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Apparently there won't be a 'held' status this year, even if applications are treated the same way.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm

aldiddy wrote:I think that people will start getting "held" tomorrow -- based on my (cloudy) memory of last year's thread.


There will be no "held" status this year. Just WL, deny, accept. The people in "hold" territory will have to just keep waiting for a decision this year.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:17 pm

drawstring wrote:Apparently there won't be a 'held' status this year, even if applications are treated the same way.


:shock:

I see. I suppose that a waitlist doesn't need any foreplay anyway.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:19 pm

So what are we thinking for tomorrow? Nothing? Will we have to go through a despairing wasteland of a no-news weekend?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:19 pm

aldiddy wrote:
drawstring wrote:Apparently there won't be a 'held' status this year, even if applications are treated the same way.


:shock:

I see. I suppose that a waitlist doesn't need any foreplay anyway.



:lol:

I will say though, it can be nice for a school to acknowledge your existence, even with a hold, when they've been silent for a while.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Lol I'm also on the grateful-for-Harvard-to-acknowledge-my-existence bus. I feel like the universe is telling me something. Maybe, it's trying to say "you don't suck THAT bad."




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, hip to be Square and 15 guests