Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

TripTrip

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:13 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:The most implausible aspect of this scenario is that you would never find out that you were barred or nearly barred from admission because of something you wrote. That kind of information would never come out.

That's not necessarily true. I was contacted by an admissions officer who expressed desire to rescind my admission and scholarship after outing me on TLS.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

TripTrip wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:The most implausible aspect of this scenario is that you would never find out that you were barred or nearly barred from admission because of something you wrote. That kind of information would never come out.

That's not necessarily true. I was contacted by an admissions officer who expressed desire to rescind my admission and scholarship after outing me on TLS.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Are you kidding???

AFP

Postby AFP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

TripTrip wrote:

If you don't mind sharing, what (in general) did you post that they had a problem with?

rseaney

Postby rseaney » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:50 pm

scoobers wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:Nothing you could post on TLS would ever hurt you, in my opinion. Sure, assuming they even read these threads, adcoms could have reasonable (and probably correct) suspicion that x poster is actually x candidate in real life, but at the end of the day, it's just a suspicion. JS and crew wouldn't risk dinging a perfectly acceptable candidate because they thought he or she was some shiesty TLS poster.

Maybe if you signed off all of your posts as something like "Miley Cyrus, L12345678," it might be different, but no way does any adcom know who anyone is enough for sure to base any decisions off of it. Hell, if you were crazy enough, you could even pretend to be someone else. I think enough of our friends know enough about our apps/cycles to play one of us convincingly on a forum if they happened to be insane and wanted to ruin our lives for some reason.

I mean, there really are people who they have figured out, through updates (complete today! JS1 today! etc) or just through regular posts ("so I'm a KJD, graduated from Wash U, and I live in Hawaii. I got a 170 and have a 3.92. I worked an internship with the governor of Hawaii, and I've written a book. What are my chances?"). It is also well-known that admissions committees read the forum (let's be honest here, I would too, but only because we are down-right hilarious 8) ).

or i mean mine is my name haha
i try to avoid saying dumb things on tls tho (and in general, where possible) so i dont imagine it could hurt. Still, curious to hear about triptrip's experience..

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm

They didn't like that I was publicly comparing offers from their school and another. They recommended that I get advice from them instead. The sentiment varies depending on the admissions office, however. I had a conversation with HLS once I got here (HLS was not the school that outed me) and they expressed sympathy to where I was coming from and understood the value of research and second opinions when you have little in the way of IRL relationships with lawyers. That doesn't mean you should be cavalier online, but don't stop using technology because you're scared, either. It's the same rule as you'll have for the rest of your legal career: write as if everyone knows who you are and will read what you write and you'll be fine.

Also, for those who are worried about being outed on TLS: the school didn't out me from my numbers or my profile or anything like that. I emailed the admissions office to ask a question and posted the two line response in that school's thread. It didn't require any dot-connecting to figure out who I was; the admissions officer who emailed me read the post.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Hey guys.

I think this will be pretty interesting as a thought experiment. I created a rankings-based poll, curious what people would choose between HYS at sticker or scholarships at CCN. Will post results once we have a decent number of responses. Totally anonymous. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/22TPWWP

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:

TripTrip, did you know we are acquaintances in real life and grew up together? Just wondering. You're easy to out :)

No joke.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:11 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

TripTrip, did you know we are acquaintances in real life and grew up together? Just wondering. You're easy to out :)

No joke.

^^ lol, small world online sometimes

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:11 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

No joke.

^^ lol, small world online sometimes

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:You're easy to out :)

That's true, I'm not very private on here. Most of my section knows who I am.

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:You're easy to out :)

That's true, I'm not very private on here. Most of my section knows who I am.

Well, duh. You have a self-tar. Not really trying to hide it, amiright?

residentemma

Postby residentemma » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:01 pm

wtrc wrote:Hey guys.

I think this will be pretty interesting as a thought experiment. I created a rankings-based poll, curious what people would choose between HYS at sticker or scholarships at CCN. Will post results once we have a decent number of responses. Totally anonymous. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/22TPWWP

Interesting survey... just curious, is there any advantage to the RTK program over just full tuition to NYU? I was about to apply for RTK when I got a letter saying I got the Vandy scholarship (full tuition) so I figured I shouldn't bother since free moneyz=free moneyz ...but I'm not very educated on either scholarship/program. Thoughts?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 pm

residentemma wrote:
wtrc wrote:Hey guys.

Interesting survey... just curious, is there any advantage to the RTK program over just full tuition to NYU? I was about to apply for RTK when I got a letter saying I got the Vandy scholarship (full tuition) so I figured I shouldn't bother since free moneyz=free moneyz ...but I'm not very educated on either scholarship/program. Thoughts?

RTK is geared for PI-minded folks. I wouldn't do it if you want biglaw, because IIRC, there are some "guidelines" to what you do after graduation.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

RTK includes a commitment to do PI work for either 3 years or 10 years after graduation, depending on the exact scholarship.

I think it includes mentoring and similar stuff in addition to the full tuition scholarship, but the scholarship is the main thing. (RTK may also look good on a resume to PI employers, I don't know. Demonstrates commitment, at least.)

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 pm

midwest17 wrote:RTK includes a commitment to do PI work for either 3 years or 10 years after graduation, depending on the exact scholarship.

I think it includes mentoring and similar stuff in addition to the full tuition scholarship, but the scholarship is the main thing. (RTK may also look good on a resume to PI employers, I don't know. Demonstrates commitment, at least.)

Okay, yeah I knew there was a "catch" so to speak. Thanks!

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm

So for everyone's JS1s, did your interviewer take notes?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

malleus discentium wrote:So for everyone's JS1s, did your interviewer take notes?

Mine did I think. Couldn't see the notepad, but that's what it seemed like.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:RTK includes a commitment to do PI work for either 3 years or 10 years after graduation, depending on the exact scholarship.

I think they say you're supposed to pay the scholarship back if you don't do PI work. I have no idea whether that's enforced at all.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:27 pm

midwest17 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

I think they say you're supposed to pay the scholarship back if you don't do PI work. I have no idea whether that's enforced at all.

It's not enforced because no one has ever taken RTK, gone private, then refused to pay back the scholarship. You'd probably be shunned in the legal community.

Besides, if you know you want public interest, there's usually some sort of low-income protection you don't need to sign up for in advance (like HLS's LIPP).

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:28 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:So for everyone's JS1s, did your interviewer take notes?

Who interviewed you?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Who interviewed you?

PM'd you

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:32 pm

TripTrip wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

It's not enforced because no one has ever taken RTK, gone private, then refused to pay back the scholarship. You'd probably be shunned in the legal community.

Besides, if you know you want public interest, there's usually some sort of low-income protection you don't need to sign up for in advance (like HLS's LIPP).

I wasn't thinking someone would be so blatant about it, but what if you just can't find a legal PI job for a few years?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm

lawschool22 wrote:

Me too, definitely not a lot of notetaking though.

Leo

Postby Leo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Leo wrote:I liked this thread better when it was poetic.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=214072&start=3725

I liked this thread better when it had JS2s happening in it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”