Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
pokemonsters
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pokemonsters » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:57 pm

I'd wait on the poll until people start getting their scholarship packages in a few weeks. Hopefully, some of us will be lucky enough to have to work through these choices.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

pokemonsters wrote:I'd wait on the poll until people start getting their scholarship packages in a few weeks. Hopefully, some of us will be lucky enough to have to work through these choices.

but then it wouldn't be thoughtless speculation?

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
pokemonsters wrote:I'd wait on the poll until people start getting their scholarship packages in a few weeks. Hopefully, some of us will be lucky enough to have to work through these choices.

but then it wouldn't be thoughtless speculation?

(I don't know if you noticed, but that's kind of our MO in this thread.)

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jaesonko » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Have my JS1 tomorrow :|
Is discussing the strengths of Harvard's international law journal/program and their Islamic Legal studies program a sufficiently good answer to 'why Harvard?' even if it isn't necessarily unique to them !? Sorry i'm going crazy :oops:

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby residentemma » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm

jaesonko wrote:Have my JS1 tomorrow :|
Is discussing the strengths of Harvard's international law journal/program and their Islamic Legal studies program a sufficiently good answer to 'why Harvard?' even if it isn't necessarily unique to them !? Sorry i'm going crazy :oops:


Yeah. I think when they ask "Why Harvard" they're looking to see that you've done research about the school and aren't just applying cause you watched Legally Blonde once. They're aware that the question is kind of lolz in the first place (cause Harvard, duh) so I think that if you're interested in I'law an Islamic Studies and you show them you have looked into their program, that will be a good answer.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.


It's the "best" school that the greatest number of people have a chance of getting into.

Y and S would be the busiest, but they're so hard to get into that a lot of people don't even bother (posting, at least).
H is up next, and the hope is MORE REAL here.

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.


we all just want a yahd in which to pahk our cahs.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.


It's the "best" school that the greatest number of people have a chance of getting into.

Y and S would be the busiest, but they're so hard to get into that a lot of people don't even bother (posting, at least).
H is up next, and the hope is MORE REAL here.


Yep, all this. Plus JS1s; there's more to post about than the rest of the T6 + Penn (minus UChi). People post when they get the email, then after the interview, etc. Plus class size compared to the rest of the T6.

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:05 am

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.


It's the "best" school that the greatest number of people have a chance of getting into.

Y and S would be the busiest, but they're so hard to get into that a lot of people don't even bother (posting, at least).
H is up next, and the hope is MORE REAL here.


Yep, all this. Plus JS1s; there's more to post about than the rest of the T6 + Penn (minus UChi). People post when they get the email, then after the interview, etc. Plus class size compared to the rest of the T6.

User avatar
pokemonsters
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pokemonsters » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 am

Out of curiosity, when are HLS's admitted students days? Is there any place that lists all the admitted students days for the t14 schools?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HorseThief » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 am

pokemonsters wrote:Out of curiosity, when are HLS's admitted students days? Is there any place that lists all the admitted students days for the t14 schools?


Harvard's are 3/8-3/10 and 4/12-4/14. I couldn't find a list for the full T14, so I made a thread for it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=223854

lastminuteuser
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lastminuteuser » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am

+1
Last edited by lastminuteuser on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 am

lastminuteuser wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Question time: Why is this thread far and away the busiest, do you suppose? After a brief check only Penn comes close to this one in size, and it's still less than half as long.


It's the "best" school that the greatest number of people have a chance of getting into.

Y and S would be the busiest, but they're so hard to get into that a lot of people don't even bother (posting, at least).
H is up next, and the hope is MORE REAL here.


Is this really the case (that S would be busier than H)? Just not informed here...but aren't Stanford's median (and 25%'s) LSAT/GPA lower than H's? I guess the exclusivity comes from law school size...nevertheless, the GPA/LSAT numbers are lower so I still don't understand how it is considered harder to get into and would be busier than H if they were the same size...I would get it if the LSAT/GPA numbers were equivalent to H's and it was a smaller school (more like Y), but that's not true...


It's more difficult because it's less numbers focused. To hold it's medians, Harvard needs to matriculate ~300 people with a 173+ LSAT. Combine that with their GPA floor of ~3.5, and there are some applicants who may not have impressive softs, but will get an H acceptance to fill the median. Stanford needs far fewer students, so of the same pool of talent, they need fewer picks. Also, Stanford's numbers could be higher if they wanted them to be. They increased their LSAT median last cycle, while everyone besides HYS dropped.

Compare:
Image

(Also, Stanford has a GPA floor of ~3.8. Anyone can take off a cycle, study hard, and get that 173. But once your GPA is done, it's done.)

edit 2: I wonder what was wrong with that lone NYU denial.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 am

Let's be real. As much as I love HLS, there are a lot of people here who would have loved to spend three years in Palo Alto instead of Cambridge.

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wealtheow » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 am

TripTrip wrote:Let's be real. As much as I love HLS, there are a lot of people here who would have loved to spend three years in Palo Alto instead of Cambridge.


+1. i love cambridge but it can be scuzzy.

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby selden » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:21 am

Gotten 7-8 phone calls in the last hour from the same number that just beeps when I answer.

Every time I feel it vibrate, my heart skips a beat.

Every time I look down and see the same stupid number calling again, I get disappointed.

This has been a roller coaster of a morning.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

selden wrote:Gotten 7-8 phone calls in the last hour from the same number that just beeps when I answer.

Every time I feel it vibrate, my heart skips a beat.

Every time I look down and see the same stupid number calling again, I get disappointed.

This has been a roller coaster of a morning.


If it puts your mind at ease, calls don't usually start going out until the afternoon.

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby selden » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:53 am

lawschool22 wrote:
selden wrote:Gotten 7-8 phone calls in the last hour from the same number that just beeps when I answer.

Every time I feel it vibrate, my heart skips a beat.

Every time I look down and see the same stupid number calling again, I get disappointed.

This has been a roller coaster of a morning.


If it puts your mind at ease, calls don't usually start going out until the afternoon.


That helps a bit. The subconscious reaction to vibration is the rest of the issue lol

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:57 am

like, today?

what's going on?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:58 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:like, today?

what's going on?


My unscientific gut feeling is that there will be some tomorrow and not today, but that's truly based on nothing. Maybe I should go look at old threads or something.

User avatar
pokemonsters
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby pokemonsters » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:like, today?

what's going on?


My unscientific gut feeling is that there will be some tomorrow and not today, but that's truly based on nothing. Maybe I should go look at old threads or something.


I vaguely remember that, after the January wave last year, there wasn't anything until February. And then there was a small batch each week. Warning: I might be totally making that up, but I'm not expecting to hear until next week at the earliest. (JS1 was Jan 17).

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm

pokemonsters wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:like, today?

what's going on?


My unscientific gut feeling is that there will be some tomorrow and not today, but that's truly based on nothing. Maybe I should go look at old threads or something.


I vaguely remember that, after the January wave last year, there wasn't anything until February. And then there was a small batch each week. Warning: I might be totally making that up, but I'm not expecting to hear until next week at the earliest. (JS1 was Jan 17).


At this point we are a little behind last year. Last year there were 70 people accepted on LSN by the end of January. So far this year we are at 65 reporting with dates (there could be some who need to report, but there could also be some from last year who pulled their profile, so I'm calling it a wash). At an average of 13.4% LSN representation for the past 3 years, that would estimate they need to make around 37 calls before the end of January to stay on target (5/.134). I think we could see some calls by the end of this week.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Something, anything...even a ding
Please not a ding

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Jessasaurus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:Something, anything...even a ding
Please not a ding


Toast you and I are in like the same boat always. This so much.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mse2020 and 3 guests