Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kobaine51 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 am

JS1 tomorrow morning, I think I have a good feel for the kind of questions that I'll be answering but I wonder what kind of questions people have asked the interviewer? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but I want to get a feel for the topics others have touched upon.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:31 am

Kobaine51 wrote:JS1 tomorrow morning, I think I have a good feel for the kind of questions that I'll be answering but I wonder what kind of questions people have asked the interviewer? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but I want to get a feel for the topics others have touched upon.

I'm planning to ask about SPIF and deferrals.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
scoobers wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:
2) I don't think there's a stereotype that could fit the majority of JS1 invitees (other than maybe intelligent). But I will say this: I doubt a lot of those interviewed are "nervous academic types." We've all been through four years of college and most of us have had some work experience, even if only just internships or something. Most JS1 candidates have had many interviews. So we're dealing with a bright, well-spoken group of people.


For my sake I hope not :(


ditto. man did i come off like a dolt on my interview.


If I was a sim that would one of my characteristics right there.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HorseThief » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 am

Kobaine51 wrote:JS1 tomorrow morning, I think I have a good feel for the kind of questions that I'll be answering but I wonder what kind of questions people have asked the interviewer? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but I want to get a feel for the topics others have touched upon.


I asked about the specific process for getting into clinics and how difficult it is to get the exact one you want. You could also ask about on-campus jobs- is it impacted by grants, are 1L's eligible, etc.

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kobaine51 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am

HorseThief wrote:
Kobaine51 wrote:JS1 tomorrow morning, I think I have a good feel for the kind of questions that I'll be answering but I wonder what kind of questions people have asked the interviewer? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but I want to get a feel for the topics others have touched upon.


I asked about the specific process for getting into clinics and how difficult it is to get the exact one you want. You could also ask about on-campus jobs- is it impacted by grants, are 1L's eligible, etc.


My thought is that anything concrete is publicly available somewhere, and so zeitgeisty questions might be more useful - does this violate conventional wisdom?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:00 am

Kobaine51 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Kobaine51 wrote:JS1 tomorrow morning, I think I have a good feel for the kind of questions that I'll be answering but I wonder what kind of questions people have asked the interviewer? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but I want to get a feel for the topics others have touched upon.


I asked about the specific process for getting into clinics and how difficult it is to get the exact one you want. You could also ask about on-campus jobs- is it impacted by grants, are 1L's eligible, etc.


My thought is that anything concrete is publicly available somewhere, and so zeitgeisty questions might be more useful - does this violate conventional wisdom?


I asked about the international study program (during breaks, some HLS students travel); starting a new student org; and something else that I forget at this late hour. Go for something you are legitimately interested in, isn't really obvious, and shows interest and research in the school.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 am

Anyone else submit early and not get a ding/JS1?
Last edited by aldiddy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teenybean
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby teenybean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 am

aldiddy wrote:Anyone else submit super early and not get a ding/JS1?.


Yupp! Submitted in late September, non-urm. I'm at their 75% for gpa, and around 25% for LSAT...nothing

User avatar
t14splitter
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t14splitter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 am

teenybean wrote:
aldiddy wrote:Anyone else submit super early and not get a ding/JS1?.


Yupp! Submitted in late September, non-urm. I'm at their 75% for gpa, and around 25% for LSAT...nothing


I'm in the same place.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rseaney » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 am

lawschool22 wrote:
rseaney wrote:
drawstring wrote:Seems not.

I got my JS1 three days after going complete and haven't heard back since a November interview. Others got their JS1 invite several weeks after going complete and have been accepted.



i'm in almost the exact same position. I think LS22's is similar as well. I expect that we're functionally being held, if not nominally.


I'm not sure if we're quite comparable to a "hold" or not, as most people who received holds last year did not get JS1s.



oh ok fair point. but still, it seems we're being "held" -- so to speak -- while they compare us to the rest of the applicant pool. the fact that they're accepting apps until march makes me nervous that way

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:48 am

rseaney wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
rseaney wrote:
drawstring wrote:Seems not.

I got my JS1 three days after going complete and haven't heard back since a November interview. Others got their JS1 invite several weeks after going complete and have been accepted.



i'm in almost the exact same position. I think LS22's is similar as well. I expect that we're functionally being held, if not nominally.


I'm not sure if we're quite comparable to a "hold" or not, as most people who received holds last year did not get JS1s.



oh ok fair point. but still, it seems we're being "held" -- so to speak -- while they compare us to the rest of the applicant pool. the fact that they're accepting apps until march makes me nervous that way


Well yeah I mean that's what every school is doing with your app until a decision is made.

Pau.C.
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Pau.C. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 am

.
Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:09 am

The lack of decision shouldn't give me any hope, but I admit that it does. :oops:

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gbelle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 am

aldiddy wrote:The lack of decision shouldn't give me any hope, but I admit that it does. :oops:


+1

kathj06
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kathj06 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:25 am

gbelle wrote:
aldiddy wrote:The lack of decision shouldn't give me any hope, but I admit that it does. :oops:


+1


Ditto. In my case they are just postponing the inevitable. To make an incredibly overwrought/melodramatic analogy, it's like surviving Day 1 of the Hunger Games but knowing that I won't win!

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gbelle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am

kathj06 wrote:
gbelle wrote:
aldiddy wrote:The lack of decision shouldn't give me any hope, but I admit that it does. :oops:


+1


Ditto. In my case they are just postponing the inevitable. To make an incredibly overwrought/melodramatic analogy, it's like surviving Day 1 of the Hunger Games but knowing that I won't win!


I can completely relate. I definitely am surprised I wasn't rejected outright in the last batch. I've never had a glimmer of hope until now..

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kathj06
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kathj06 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Haha nice--hopefully your avatar is a good omen!

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby aldiddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm probably the old lady in Catching Fire.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby yomisterd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Went Complete today, submitted 1/07 and acknowledge 1/08. Now for the wait on the JS1/ding. The spreadsheet should tell me the wait to expect for a JS1 right?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 pm

yomisterd wrote:Went Complete today, submitted 1/07 and acknowledge 1/08. Now for the wait on the JS1/ding. The spreadsheet should tell me the wait to expect for a JS1 right?


Yep

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:56 pm

complete today as well Submit 1/2, Acknowledged 1/6.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby paglababa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Cmon GUYZ. Need more NYC admits to come play w/ us at the H C/O 2017 meetups....

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:07 pm

paglababa wrote:Cmon GUYZ. Need more NYC admits to come play w/ us at the H C/O 2017 meetups....


Umm - obvs would be happy to join...if I could speed up/guarantee a JS2 for myself, believe me, I would :P




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Houzy and 8 guests