Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby crazyrobin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:57 pm

mynameis08 wrote:I seem to notice that almost everyone who has submitted their applications are getting JS1. I'm just really curious and I know this has been asked way back years before but for this year, someone said Harvard may be interviewing like 1200 applicants for this year's cycle, how many sits do you think are gonna be filled just this year? And how many do you think there'd be seats for January onward? I'll be applying this December and still waiting for my October LSAT, I worry that for this year it'll be some sort of a disadvantage given that I notice that everyone seems to get the JS1 invite.

:?

Maybe slightly disadvantaged? :?:

Because some spots are filled, you have to compete with the remaining sits.

splat232
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby splat232 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:02 pm

.
Last edited by splat232 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckystar84
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby luckystar84 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by luckystar84 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:55 pm

luckystar84 wrote:so about that slight disadvantage, would you say late oct submittal, early nov complete is in the "late" camp?


No.

lawbeahs
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawbeahs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Anyone else in the 172+, 3.9+, no JS1 camp? Super disheartened, as HLS is my top choice. Is this really bad or just moderately bad?

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Just submitted. Take that, HS teachers :evil:

User avatar
AvatarEyes08
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby AvatarEyes08 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

phillywc wrote:Just submitted. Take that, HS teachers :evil:


Swear I said the exact same thing when I submitted

User avatar
mynameis08
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby mynameis08 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 pm

splat232 wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
mynameis08 wrote:I seem to notice that almost everyone who has submitted their applications are getting JS1. I'm just really curious and I know this has been asked way back years before but for this year, someone said Harvard may be interviewing like 1200 applicants for this year's cycle, how many sits do you think are gonna be filled just this year? And how many do you think there'd be seats for January onward? I'll be applying this December and still waiting for my October LSAT, I worry that for this year it'll be some sort of a disadvantage given that I notice that everyone seems to get the JS1 invite.

:?

Maybe slightly disadvantaged? :?:

Because some spots are filled, you have to compete with the remaining sits.


Yeah it sounds like it's a slight disadvantage. From an interview with JS:

JS wrote:Yes, there is an advantage to applying early. But am I more lenient? No. There are far more applicants who could be successful at Harvard Law School than we have places for in the class. We try to keep the bar pretty consistent throughout, but it is true that a competitive applicant who applies earlier in the cycle is competing for a seat in the class during a time that very few seats have been filled. A student who applies later is being evaluated when I don’t have as many seats to spare.

Part of the advantage goes to the student who is well prepared earlier in the process. A student who is able to give their recommenders time to write a letter ends up having better support than one whose letter writer was in a rush. A personal statement that was fully edited is going to be better than one that was written at the last moment. At the same time, a student should apply when he or she can present the best application. If that means waiting for fall semester grades, or another LSAT test result, then for that student applying later is the right option. You will still be fully considered for a space in the class at whatever time you apply during the cycle.


http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... sica-soban



ugh this almost scared the hell out of me? So does this mean I have to have really strong numbers if I apply late?

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 am

phillywc wrote:Just submitted. Take that, HS teachers :evil:


Hi Philly

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby DrStudMuffin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:41 pm

lawbeahs wrote:Anyone else in the 172+, 3.9+, no JS1 camp? Super disheartened, as HLS is my top choice. Is this really bad or just moderately bad?


There's still hope regardless, but when did you go complete?

lawbeahs
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawbeahs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 am

DrStudMuffin wrote:
lawbeahs wrote:Anyone else in the 172+, 3.9+, no JS1 camp? Super disheartened, as HLS is my top choice. Is this really bad or just moderately bad?


There's still hope regardless, but when did you go complete?


That's what's most troubling- I went complete on 9/30 (complete email 10/10). I've gotten acceptances from UVA, Georgetown, and Duke, so I don't think there should be any major red flags in my app. But if that's true, I should have received a JS1, right? Ugh.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:51 am

If everyone who is new to this wants information, honestly just read some of last year's applicant thread. It's linked on the first page of this thread, and it will keep you all from freaking out for no reason. People got interviews at varying times regardless of complete dates. It's still October (last year no JS1 invites went out until October 31). There is plenty of time...

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:41 am

lawbeahs wrote:
DrStudMuffin wrote:
lawbeahs wrote:Anyone else in the 172+, 3.9+, no JS1 camp? Super disheartened, as HLS is my top choice. Is this really bad or just moderately bad?


There's still hope regardless, but when did you go complete?


That's what's most troubling- I went complete on 9/30 (complete email 10/10). I've gotten acceptances from UVA, Georgetown, and Duke, so I don't think there should be any major red flags in my app. But if that's true, I should have received a JS1, right? Ugh.


This may come as a shock but the admissions process at Harvard vs. the admissions process at UVA, Duke, or GeorgeTTTown is significantly different. As much as everyone talks about Harvard number-whoring it turns away nearly perfect numbers every year. The standard is just different. A red flag at Harvard may not be a red flag at a lesser T14 school. Nothing is a given in the T3, especially this year.

That being said, there is no need to worry yet. Wait until after New Years for that.

User avatar
Let It Roll
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Let It Roll » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am

lastsamurai wrote:If everyone who is new to this wants information, honestly just read some of last year's applicant thread. It's linked on the first page of this thread, and it will keep you all from freaking out for no reason. People got interviews at varying times regardless of complete dates. It's still October (last year no JS1 invites went out until October 31). There is plenty of time...


Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

staples88
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby staples88 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 pm

abc
Last edited by staples88 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:16 pm

staples88 wrote:what are some things considered red flags @ hls? their CF ?s are the most underinclusive out of all the t14


This is all anecdotal but a lack of any indication of intelectual curiosity, no expressed interest in the giving back to the school/class, no expressed interest in team building, arrogance, no indication that you will participate in class discussions, no indication that you are striving to be the best in your class not just one of the herd, etc. Numbers aren't enough they want something more at HLS.

Again, I don't know this from personal experience, this is what I have been told by friends and Alums.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:05 pm

The-Specs wrote:
staples88 wrote:what are some things considered red flags @ hls? their CF ?s are the most underinclusive out of all the t14


This is all anecdotal but a lack of any indication of intelectual curiosity, no expressed interest in the giving back to the school/class, no expressed interest in team building, arrogance, no indication that you will participate in class discussions, no indication that you are striving to be the best in your class not just one of the herd, etc. Numbers aren't enough they want something more at HLS.


lol. That sounds like something Rachel the paralegal would say

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:19 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:lol. That sounds like something Rachel the paralegal would say


Hahaha True enough though there is no way that she wouldn't have gotten into Harvard. URM, at least median GPA, 172 LSAT and 5+ years of WE from a top NYC Firm and killer LoR's. I could go for some of that magic.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, I got my LSAT score. I contemplated this post weeks ago, and I am happy to report I won't be checking out of this thread I created. Excited for this cycle. Excited to join everyone more actively now. Will be applying within the week.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:27 pm

wtrc wrote:Well, I got my LSAT score. I contemplated this post weeks ago, and I am happy to report I won't be checking out of this thread I created. Excited for this cycle. Excited to join everyone more actively now. Will be applying within the week.


8)

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
wtrc wrote:Well, I got my LSAT score. I contemplated this post weeks ago, and I am happy to report I won't be checking out of this thread I created. Excited for this cycle. Excited to join everyone more actively now. Will be applying within the week.


8)


Furthermore, I'm so pumped that OhPo will be actively joining us after he rocks the LSAT in 2 months.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Complete 9/30, last status 9/30, complete acknowledgement email 10/10. No JS1 for me.

Image

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 062914123 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Happy Gilmore
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Complete 9/30, last status 9/30, complete acknowledgement email 10/10. No JS1 for me.

Image



Close to the same. This is exactly how I feel.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:04 pm

bee wrote:
    wtrc wrote:Well, I got my LSAT score. I contemplated this post weeks ago, and I am happy to report I won't be checking out of this thread I created. Excited for this cycle. Excited to join everyone more actively now. Will be applying within the week.

    omg wtr i dont even belong in this thread anymore but


    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU :D :D :D GOOD LUCK!!!


    Hey Bee I heard you got like... within a few points of the HLS median ON YOUR FIRST TAKE. Damn, I wish that happened to me- it took me three takes. Congrats! See you in December!




    Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, bcapace, ellielaw, hoping4scholy, pandaaa and 18 guests