Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
db1990 wrote:
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
neprep wrote:Can we have a new poll now?

I have a suggestion:

How did you feel after your JS1?

1. Nailed it.
2. It was pretty good, but there were a few things I wish I would have said or not said.
3. Meh, I don't know. Not too good but not too bad.
4. I felt awkward and tense throughout what was a pretty bad interview, but managed to pull through.
5. Longest 15 minutes of my life.


I would be interested to see this.


+1

too bad we couldn't compile a list of how "feelings" translate into success/failure of admission. Next year, I think we should add a personal assessment number to the spreadsheets.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:too bad we couldn't compile a list of how "feelings" translate into success/failure of admission. Next year, I think we should add a personal assessment number to the spreadsheets.


Ha! We already have more than 50% above average softs, so...

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Meh, I don't know. Not too good but not too bad

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:too bad we couldn't compile a list of how "feelings" translate into success/failure of admission. Next year, I think we should add a personal assessment number to the spreadsheets.


Ha! We already have more than 50% above average softs, so...


Part of the problem here is we haven't defined which set of people we're taking an average from.


The idea is you're comparing yourself to people who apply to Harvard.

I agree, it would be nice to have some guidelines, but we talked about it a while back and it was hard to define, which is the problem.

I'm not criticizing people who put "above average" but it's just interesting that it works out like Lake Wobegon where "all the children are above average." :)

User avatar
2x2Matrix
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 2x2Matrix » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:too bad we couldn't compile a list of how "feelings" translate into success/failure of admission. Next year, I think we should add a personal assessment number to the spreadsheets.


Ha! We already have more than 50% above average softs, so...


Part of the problem here is we haven't defined which set of people we're taking an average from.


The idea is you're comparing yourself to people who apply to Harvard.

I agree, it would be nice to have some guidelines, but we talked about it a while back and it was hard to define, which is the problem.

I'm not criticizing people who put "above average" but it's just interesting that it works out like Lake Wobegon where "all the children are above average." :)


I'd be interested in seeing what constitutes "nailed it" for an interview like a JS1. I could see someone "nailing" an interview for something like jane street or palantir, but a purely behavioural conversation? :?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 pm

2x2Matrix wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what constitutes "nailed it" for an interview like a JS1. I could see someone "nailing" an interview for something like jane street or palantir, but a purely behavioural conversation? :?


In the context of the options, it seems like if you didn't regret anything you said, felt confident with your answers, didn't act nervous, etc. it could be seen as nailing it. Obviously no one knows how the interviewer felt :D It's more how did you feel personally.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:38 pm

well I think I have a bad case of "poor self-assessment" because I feel awesome about the interview despite my very low chances of admittance. Also, I kept my shirt untucked and wore slippers -definitely enhanced the experience.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:48 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:So I just realized that my pre-paid cell phone plan ran out. If I had gotten a call today, and all the person on the other end heard was "this phone is out of service," what do you think they would do?


Emailed you like the international folks is my guess.

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:51 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:54 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rseaney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:So I just realized that my pre-paid cell phone plan ran out. If I had gotten a call today, and all the person on the other end heard was "this phone is out of service," what do you think they would do?


I'm guessing they'd think they have a wrong number?

Are you sure that's how your plan works, though? Mine will still get calls...I just can't make any calls or send texts, except maybe 9-1-1.


That's definitely how it works-- people have tried to call me already. In any case I should have it up and running again sometime tonight. I probably didn't get any calls today anyway.


if you did, and they left a voicemail, it will have been stored in your phone. Here's hoping for some good news later tonight

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wowhio
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wowhio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Why isn't Harvard sent out rejections yet? Getting antsy over here.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
db1990 wrote:
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
I would be interested to see this.


+1

too bad we couldn't compile a list of how "feelings" translate into success/failure of admission. Next year, I think we should add a personal assessment number to the spreadsheets.

Do you want those of us with JS2s to contribute to this poll? Or maybe run our own poll in the admitted students thread to see if there is a difference in how people felt they did compared to acceptance rate?

I don't want to incur LS22's wrath by messing up valuable data and voting when I shouldn't :P

User avatar
Mort_the_Tort
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

JS2.

JS left a message -- she was wonderful.
LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.81
Softs: highly unique

Complete 11/7
JS1 invite 12/10
JS1 12/11
JS2 01/23 7:08 PM

User avatar
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm

.
Last edited by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Mort_the_Tort wrote:JS2.

JS left a message -- she was wonderful.
LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.81
Softs: highly unique

Complete 11/7
JS1 invite 12/10
JS1 12/11
JS2 12/23 7:08 PM

CONGRATS MORT!!!!!! Come join us in the admitted students page

User avatar
Mort_the_Tort
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm

not URM

User avatar
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Mort_the_Tort wrote:not URM


Sorry Mort I thought it said 12/23 and you were citing something from LSN! CONGRATS!!!!

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Cocoblues » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Mort_the_Tort wrote:JS2.

JS left a message -- she was wonderful.

Complete 11/7
JS1 invite 12/10
JS1 12/11
JS2 01/23 7:08 PM


Oh wow!!! Congrats!

ETA: edited out Mort's stats, just in case.

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Mort_the_Tort wrote:JS2.

JS left a message -- she was wonderful.
LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.81
Softs: highly unique

Complete 11/7
JS1 invite 12/10
JS1 12/11
JS2 01/23 7:08 PM


HOLY CRAP YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
CONGRATS MORT

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 pm

¡¡ Today Mort !!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Gaaooo and 2 guests