Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

lawschool22

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 am

fivestarfolds wrote:Just had my JS1. Loved it! The interviewer and I just riffed on my thesis for 10 minutes and then I told her how much I love social-enterprise work.

It was really conversational and whether or not I get in, I was so happy to be part of the process!

Btw, I could read back in the thread but since the HLS thread is 225 pages of a continuous stream of consciousness, I'd rather just ask: what's the turnaround from interview to decision?

Go to page one, click on the spreadsheet, look at the averages. Also, if you haven't already done so, please add your data to said spreadsheet. :)

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 am

lawschool22 wrote:For the 2011-2012 cycle there were 865 acceptances, and 131 per LSN, suggesting representation of 15.1%. For the 2010-2011 cycle there were 842 acceptances, and 118 per LSN, suggesting representation of 14.0%. Again, for the previous cycle the calculation shows representation of 13.2% (113/858). So there is some variation, but not much.

The weighted average would be a total of 362 acceptances per LSN for the past three years (131+118+113), divided by a total of 2,565 actual acceptances (865+842+858), giving an estimated LSN representation at HLS of 14.1%.

This would suggest that so far there have been 432 acceptances this cycle. Of course this assumes everyone who has been accepted and that will ultimately update LSN has already done so. If there are additional people who need to update, this would actually make the estimate increase.

FuriousDuck

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

selden

Postby selden » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:59 am

My guess is next week. EDIT for any JS2s, not just the above poster, with the caveat below

I don't see them doing JS2s the week after JS1s, and then not reviewing those JS1s until the next round of JS2s.

Just from an organizational point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to review everyone who has been interviewed for a new a round of offers? I would think the performance of last week's JS1ers would be material to the decisions rendered on people who had previously done them.

Anyway, I would guess that means next week for JS2s, and the people who had interviews last week will be included in that round.

(Either that or they release Thursday/Friday this week for people who had JS1s longer ago than last week, and then next week they do them for people who interviewed this week/last week.)

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:01 pm

selden wrote:My guess is next week.

I don't see them doing JS2s the week after JS1s, and then not reviewing those JS1s until the next round of JS2s.

Just from an organizational point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to review everyone who has been interviewed for a new a round of offers? I would think the performance of last week's JS1ers would be material to the decisions rendered on people who had previously done them.

Anyway, I would guess that means next week for JS2s, and the people who had interviews last week will be included in that round.

(Either that or they release Thursday/Friday this week for people who had JS1s longer ago than last week, and then next week they do them for people who interviewed this week/last week.)

I think getting a JS2 within a week or less than your JS1 is actually fairly rare. I would doubt the JS1s from this week will be in the next round of JS2s, other than extremely high-numbers type candidates.

FuriousDuck

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

edwardt1988

Postby edwardt1988 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm

selden wrote:My guess is next week. EDIT for any JS2s, not just the above poster, with the caveat below

I'd be surprised if people who interviewed last week/this week hear back so soon, but who knows :)

selden

Postby selden » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Consensus is way against me, so I'll double down on my prediction. That way if I'm right I'll look like a genius, and if I'm wrong I'll just be like everyone else who has tried to predict stuff this cycle. Win win.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 pm

edwardt1988 wrote:
selden wrote:My guess is next week. EDIT for any JS2s, not just the above poster, with the caveat below

I'd be surprised if people who interviewed last week/this week hear back so soon, but who knows :)

Expect the unexpected at this point.

rseaney

Postby rseaney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Nooblarzlarz wrote:Where did you get that 467 # from? I thought we had figured there's only been 300-350 JS2s so far?

I think we were trying to figure that out from the Facebook group possibly? In either case we don't know for sure using either method because of variance in how many people report on myLSN.

All I did was take the total acceptances per myLSN last year of 113, divide that into 858 (total offers last year), and come up with a percentage around 13%. Then I divided the total JS2s per myLSN of 61 by 13% and got approximately 467. Actually if you don't round the percentage it's technically extrapolated to 463 acceptances this year.

You could potentially make the argument that more people are posting on myLSN this year than last, so the percentage should be higher. For instance if myLSN now represents 15% of the total pool you would get 407 JS2s. If it now represents 20% you are looking at 305 acceptances. So there is certainly some room for variance. But I would feel comfortable saying there have probably been 350-450 acceptances so far, and 300 seems a little low. That assumes 1/5 applicants post to myLSN which seems high, although I could be off.

I'd guess that the Facebook group includes 90+% of all admits. My understanding is that they send you an invite shortly after your JS2? I can't imagine many people decline the FB invite.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Well damn, forget the post where I said there were 61 applicants so far. I was getting that data second hand, and it appears to be a little outdated. I just re-ran the numbers for the current cycle, and we are showing 74 admits per LSN.

This would be right in line with last year, in fact it is a bit ahead of last year. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there are no JS2's this week (but also wouldn't be surprised if there are :D).

This also suggests that there have been 521 admits :shock: which seems a little high. Perhaps more people are reporting on LSN than in the past.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Well damn, forget the post where I said there were 61 applicants so far. I was getting that data second hand, and it appears to be a little outdated. I just re-ran the numbers for the current cycle, and we are showing 74 admits per LSN.

This would be right in line with last year, in fact it is a bit ahead of last year. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there are no JS2's this week (but also wouldn't be surprised if there are :D).

This also suggests that there have been 521 admits :shock: which seems a little high. Perhaps more people are reporting on LSN than in the past.

I wonder if people also delete their LSN's after the cycle is over (and, alternatively, if people create and add all the info once the cycle is over too).

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

wtrc wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Well damn, forget the post where I said there were 61 applicants so far. I was getting that data second hand, and it appears to be a little outdated. I just re-ran the numbers for the current cycle, and we are showing 74 admits per LSN.

I wonder if people also delete their LSN's after the cycle is over (and, alternatively, if people create and add all the info once the cycle is over too).

Could be. If people delete after the cycle, then that would lower the current estimate since it would increase the percentage (although by an unknown amount). If people create and add all the info once the cycle is over, then that would increase the estimate, since that would mean there are acceptances that we currently don't know about in LSN.

Both things probably happen, but hopefully they offset enough to not make a huge difference.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:03 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
wtrc wrote:I wonder if people also delete their LSN's after the cycle is over (and, alternatively, if people create and add all the info once the cycle is over too).

Could be. If people delete after the cycle, then that would lower the current estimate since it would increase the percentage (although by an unknown amount). If people create and add all the info once the cycle is over, then that would increase the estimate, since that would mean there are acceptances that we currently don't know about in LSN.

Both things probably happen, but hopefully they offset enough to not make a huge difference.

I would guess that there are more people who add in info or take their profile off private after the cycle ends than there are people who delete their profile at the end of the cycle...even though that doesn't line up with what I'd like to be the case.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:19 pm

koalacity wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
wtrc wrote:I wonder if people also delete their LSN's after the cycle is over (and, alternatively, if people create and add all the info once the cycle is over too).

I would guess that there are more people who add in info or take their profile off private after the cycle ends than there are people who delete their profile at the end of the cycle...even though that doesn't line up with what I'd like to be the case.

Yeah I tend to agree with that. I don't know why people would go in retroactively and delete stuff. It seems like a fair amount of work, and somewhat defeats the purpose of submitting your info to LSN. Unfortunately this would make the numbers higher, but still I think the offset is enough with other factors that it's probably not significant.

Although now I definitely think there have been at least 450 admits, maybe more. At this point last year 62% of the admits had heard back.

selden

Postby selden » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:34 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Yeah I tend to agree with that. I don't know why people would go in retroactively and delete stuff. It seems like a fair amount of work, and somewhat defeats the purpose of submitting your info to LSN. Unfortunately this would make the numbers higher, but still I think the offset is enough with other factors that it's probably not significant.

Although now I definitely think there have been at least 450 admits, maybe more. At this point last year 62% of the admits had heard back.

I would say that's a good guess. Really, the cycle only has about a month of acceptances left before they start being more waitlist focused, so it wouldn't surprise me if at least half of the offers have gone out. We're at roughly the halfway point anyway.

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:58 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:Just had my JS1. Loved it! The interviewer and I just riffed on my thesis for 10 minutes and then I told her how much I love social-enterprise work.

It was really conversational and whether or not I get in, I was so happy to be part of the process!

Btw, I could read back in the thread but since the HLS thread is 225 pages of a continuous stream of TLS-consciousness, I'd rather just ask: what's the turnaround from interview to decision?

Also just had my JS1 and can echo the same sentiments! JS is really nice and engaging. Despite the posts on this thread, the questions we discussed were more generic, e.g. "Why Harvard?", "What are the three characteristics you would hope for most in your peers at Harvard?", "What is your job like day-to-day?", "What specific subject areas are you interested in?", etc etc. Didn't really touch on my PS or DS. Overall felt good, lasted around ~20 minutes. Whether or not I get in, I'm honored just to be considered. Feel free to PM me for any other questions.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 pm

I wish I had JS...she sounds great

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:16 pm

drawstring wrote:I wish I had JS...she sounds great

Who'd you get?

edit: realized you may not want to disclose this so...no worries!

sup_stan

Postby sup_stan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I just noticed that Riverose in the spreadsheet was accepted on 1/21/2014 (Tuesday). She had her JS1 on 1/7/2014, and her stats are 174/3.94, so she's not the international dude who claimed he was accepted via e-mail on Tuesday a few pages ago.

This is driving me insane. If this entry is true then there have definitely been people who were accepted on Tuesday. In this case, the JS1 was even in January. Maybe the number is so small because only the highly qualified are let in first.

Even more horrifying is the possibility that the latest JS2 wave is actually over and barely anyone on TLS was represented in the Tuesday wave.....
Last edited by sup_stan on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac2013

Postby mac2013 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 pm

drawstring wrote:I wish I had JS...she sounds great

+1

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 pm

sup_stan wrote:
Even more horrifying is the possibility that the latest JS2 wave is actually over and barely anyone on TLS was represented in the Tuesday wave.....

Seems pretty unlikely.

sup_stan

Postby sup_stan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:01 pm

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
sup_stan wrote:

Seems pretty unlikely.

I sure hope my paranoia is not actually the case lol. Still hoping for these two days for JS2 calls since signs suggest that people were accepted on Tuesday. Or maybe Riverose is an international just like the 177/3.92 dude a few pages ago who was also accepted on Tuesday. That could mean that the Tuesday calls were strictly for international admits only.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Btw, I could read back in the thread but since the HLS thread is 225 pages of a continuous stream of TLS-consciousness, I'd rather just ask: what's the turnaround from interview to decision?

Also just had my JS1 and can echo the same sentiments! JS is really nice and engaging. Despite the posts on this thread, the questions we discussed were more generic, e.g. "Why Harvard?", "What are the three characteristics you would hope for most in your peers at Harvard?", "What is your job like day-to-day?", "What specific subject areas are you interested in?", etc etc. Didn't really touch on my PS or DS. Overall felt good, lasted around ~20 minutes. Whether or not I get in, I'm honored just to be considered. Feel free to PM me for any other questions.

Just to clarify, I did not get JS. Nonetheless, I now see that my interviewer was my admission's angel sent from above to make me feel good about an otherwise lackluster cycle.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:23 pm

She asked you why Harvard? What did you say? Did you just laugh? I honestly don't know how I would answer that question :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”