Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Just saw in my LSN feed that someone was accepted to Harvard 30 minutes ago and I almost had a heart attack.

Turns out it was some dude admitted in December updating his profile. :evil: :cry:

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:13 pm

IrishJew wrote:Sincee you're already doing the analysis, what about the other way? What percent of JS1 days have other news on them?


There were a total of 44 JS1 days reported in the spreadsheet, plus 1 for today, giving you 45. There are 5 JS2 days. So 11.1% of JS1 days also had JS2's. But I'm not sure how surprising that is, since we know JS1's come out much more frequently. I think the takeaway is that the one doesn't really influence the other. Meaning if you have JS1's come out that doesn't predict JS2's later in the day nor does it preclude it. Also don't forget this is all just correlation we are looking at.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm

IrishJew wrote:Just saw in my LSN feed that someone was accepted to Harvard 30 minutes ago and I almost had a heart attack.

Turns out it was some dude admitted in December updating his profile. :evil: :cry:


I almost had a heart attack reading the first sentence of your post.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 pm

:| I know i'm probably not getting a JS1 but it doesn't stop me from getting my stupid hopes up every time they go out.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:Sincee you're already doing the analysis, what about the other way? What percent of JS1 days have other news on them?


There were a total of 44 JS1 days reported in the spreadsheet, plus 1 for today, giving you 45. There are 5 JS2 days. So 11.1% of JS1 days also had JS2's. But I'm not sure how surprising that is, since we know JS1's come out much more frequently. I think the takeaway is that the one doesn't really influence the other. Meaning if you have JS1's come out that doesn't predict JS2's later in the day nor does it preclude it. Also don't forget this is all just correlation we are looking at.


Yeah, makes sense. IT's too bad LSN doesn't keep track of JS1s; I'd really like to do a similar analysis for January 2013. But I think we've clearly seen that this cycle's timing seems to be rather different from last year's, so that may actually be counter-productive.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm

JS1
Last edited by fivestarfolds on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:38 pm

IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:Sincee you're already doing the analysis, what about the other way? What percent of JS1 days have other news on them?


There were a total of 44 JS1 days reported in the spreadsheet, plus 1 for today, giving you 45. There are 5 JS2 days. So 11.1% of JS1 days also had JS2's. But I'm not sure how surprising that is, since we know JS1's come out much more frequently. I think the takeaway is that the one doesn't really influence the other. Meaning if you have JS1's come out that doesn't predict JS2's later in the day nor does it preclude it. Also don't forget this is all just correlation we are looking at.


Yeah, makes sense. IT's too bad LSN doesn't keep track of JS1s; I'd really like to do a similar analysis for January 2013. But I think we've clearly seen that this cycle's timing seems to be rather different from last year's, so that may actually be counter-productive.


So I looked at the spreadsheet data again, but a little differently.

We have a total of 87 individual JS2 dates in the spreadsheet (obviously there are multiple for each of the 6 actual days JS2's have come out). Of those, 64 JS2 dates occurred on a day where there were JS1's. So if you look at it this way, 74% of the total JS2's released (per the spreadsheet) occurred on a day with JS1's.

Again, this probably speaks more to the fact that there have been 45 "JS1 days" since 10/31 (first JS1 in the spreadsheet) out of 55ish business days since that time, so again it's likely random. But still interesting.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:JS1 invite today, complete in the second week of December. High LSAT, very low (for H) GPA.


Congrats! Lots of good new so far today. Let's hope they don't decide to "balance" that out this afternoon lol :)

The-Specs wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:JS1 invite today, complete in the second week of December. High LSAT, very low (for H) GPA.


Yah!!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Congrats Pneumonia. :)

ETA: Also, post 775, this one's for you Pneumonia.

Thanks, i'm happy to be in such illustrious company.

Good luck to those waiting on JS2's!

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:51 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:Sincee you're already doing the analysis, what about the other way? What percent of JS1 days have other news on them?


There were a total of 44 JS1 days reported in the spreadsheet, plus 1 for today, giving you 45. There are 5 JS2 days. So 11.1% of JS1 days also had JS2's. But I'm not sure how surprising that is, since we know JS1's come out much more frequently. I think the takeaway is that the one doesn't really influence the other. Meaning if you have JS1's come out that doesn't predict JS2's later in the day nor does it preclude it. Also don't forget this is all just correlation we are looking at.


Yeah, makes sense. IT's too bad LSN doesn't keep track of JS1s; I'd really like to do a similar analysis for January 2013. But I think we've clearly seen that this cycle's timing seems to be rather different from last year's, so that may actually be counter-productive.


So I looked at the spreadsheet data again, but a little differently.

We have a total of 87 individual JS2 dates in the spreadsheet (obviously there are multiple for each of the 6 actual days JS2's have come out). Of those, 64 JS2 dates occurred on a day where there were JS1's. So if you look at it this way, 74% of the total JS2's released (per the spreadsheet) occurred on a day with JS1's.

Again, this probably speaks more to the fact that there have been 45 "JS1 days" since 10/31 (first JS1 in the spreadsheet) out of 55ish business days since that time, so again it's likely random. But still interesting.


Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.

Of course, even if JS2s come with JS1s, that doesn't mean that JS1s signal JS2s, since there are far more JS1 days than JS2 days. That leaves me wondering if JS1s come out mostly in large clumps with a few smaller batches here and there or if they are well-distributed. (Your recent posts imply that JS2s clump heavily, with 75% of them coming out on only 3 days while the other two days together only had about 25%. Do JS1s behave similarly?) If so, is one kind of "JS1 day" (heavy or light) more likely to be correlated with JS2s?

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Balthy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:56 pm

phillywc wrote::| I know i'm probably not getting a JS1 but it doesn't stop me from getting my stupid hopes up every time they go out.



Same :(

And to add insult to injury i received a wave of TTT marketing emails today. Every time i heard the email noise i thought it was my beloved JS1.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57 pm

IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:There were a total of 44 JS1 days reported in the spreadsheet, plus 1 for today, giving you 45. There are 5 JS2 days. So 11.1% of JS1 days also had JS2's. But I'm not sure how surprising that is, since we know JS1's come out much more frequently. I think the takeaway is that the one doesn't really influence the other. Meaning if you have JS1's come out that doesn't predict JS2's later in the day nor does it preclude it. Also don't forget this is all just correlation we are looking at.


Yeah, makes sense. IT's too bad LSN doesn't keep track of JS1s; I'd really like to do a similar analysis for January 2013. But I think we've clearly seen that this cycle's timing seems to be rather different from last year's, so that may actually be counter-productive.


So I looked at the spreadsheet data again, but a little differently.

We have a total of 87 individual JS2 dates in the spreadsheet (obviously there are multiple for each of the 6 actual days JS2's have come out). Of those, 64 JS2 dates occurred on a day where there were JS1's. So if you look at it this way, 74% of the total JS2's released (per the spreadsheet) occurred on a day with JS1's.

Again, this probably speaks more to the fact that there have been 45 "JS1 days" since 10/31 (first JS1 in the spreadsheet) out of 55ish business days since that time, so again it's likely random. But still interesting.


Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.

Of course, even if JS2s come with JS1s, that doesn't mean that JS1s signal JS2s, since there are far more JS1 days than JS2 days. That leaves me wondering if JS1s come out mostly in large clumps with a few smaller batches here and there or if they are well-distributed. (Your recent posts imply that JS2s clump heavily, with 75% of them coming out on only 3 days while the other two days together only had about 25%. Do JS1s behave similarly?) If so, is one kind of "JS1 day" (heavy or light) more likely to be correlated with JS2s?


JS1s seem to come either in waves or at random times. Today definitely seems to have been a JS1 wave

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Balthy wrote:
phillywc wrote::| I know i'm probably not getting a JS1 but it doesn't stop me from getting my stupid hopes up every time they go out.



Same :(

And to add insult to injury i received a wave of TTT marketing emails today. Every time i heard the email noise i thought it was my beloved JS1.


California Southern and Savannah in the past hour.

[Edit 3:54] UC Irvine, Wayne, and OU since.

wah :x :x
Last edited by patfeeney on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:25 pm

IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.

Of course, even if JS2s come with JS1s, that doesn't mean that JS1s signal JS2s, since there are far more JS1 days than JS2 days. That leaves me wondering if JS1s come out mostly in large clumps with a few smaller batches here and there or if they are well-distributed. (Your recent posts imply that JS2s clump heavily, with 75% of them coming out on only 3 days while the other two days together only had about 25%. Do JS1s behave similarly?) If so, is one kind of "JS1 day" (heavy or light) more likely to be correlated with JS2s?


JS1 days are fairly well distributed. Here is the profile of the number of people with a JS1 per JS1 invite day:

Mode: 1
Medan: 2
Max: 11, Count: 1
Min: 1, Count:
Avg: 2.37
Std. Dev: 1.9

I don't think we can glean much from this. The one "wave" we had (with 11 people) was way back on 10/16, likely too early for any JS2's to come out that day.

User avatar
illyria
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby illyria » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Love the over-analyzation in the thread. Only thing keeping me sane at the moment 8)

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Any 3.8x 173s complete 12/18 or before NOT have a JS1 yet? (yeah superspecific, but hey, what else are we here for?)

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 pm

IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.


I forgot about this part. If we remove the 12/23 JS2's (there were seven), which could be, as you say, tossed off before the holiday, then we arrive at a total of 64/80 JS2's going out on day's with JS1's, which puts us at 80%.

Now we're just messing with the data ("two kinds of lies..."), but it's fun lol.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:33 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.

Of course, even if JS2s come with JS1s, that doesn't mean that JS1s signal JS2s, since there are far more JS1 days than JS2 days. That leaves me wondering if JS1s come out mostly in large clumps with a few smaller batches here and there or if they are well-distributed. (Your recent posts imply that JS2s clump heavily, with 75% of them coming out on only 3 days while the other two days together only had about 25%. Do JS1s behave similarly?) If so, is one kind of "JS1 day" (heavy or light) more likely to be correlated with JS2s?


JS1 days are fairly well distributed. Here is the profile of the number of people with a JS1 per JS1 invite day:

Mode: 1
Medan: 2
Max: 11, Count: 1
Min: 1, Count:
Avg: 2.37
Std. Dev: 1.9

I don't think we can glean much from this. The one "wave" we had (with 11 people) was way back on 10/16, likely too early for any JS2's to come out that day.


Gotcha. Didn't realize there are so many days with just one or two JS1s. Today feels like a lot, but maybe that's just because they keep getting discussed and congratulated. Either way I guess it isn't very predictive.

Now I just have to get myself a straw and a watch so I can suck it up and wait....

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.


I forgot about this part. If we remove the 12/23 JS2's (there were seven), which could be, as you say, tossed off before the holiday, then we arrive at a total of 64/80 JS2's going out on day's with JS1's, which puts us at 80%.

Now we're just messing with the data ("two kinds of lies..."), but it's fun lol.


So? What? You're saying JS2s are even more likely to come with JS1s than not?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm

IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.


I forgot about this part. If we remove the 12/23 JS2's (there were seven), which could be, as you say, tossed off before the holiday, then we arrive at a total of 64/80 JS2's going out on day's with JS1's, which puts us at 80%.

Now we're just messing with the data ("two kinds of lies..."), but it's fun lol.


So? What? You're saying JS2s are even more likely to come with JS1s than not?


Well if we remove 12/23 on the grounds that it's an "anomaly" and they were just trying to get them out before the holidays, then yes, the correlation increases to 80%. But I don't know that we can justify removing 12/23, so I think the correlation of 74% is more defensible.

It's all wild speculation to pass the time though, so it doesn't matter either way lol.

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jaesonko » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:47 pm

JS1 today! Submitted first week of December, 172 / above 75th GPA.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:50 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
Not necessarily. Since only 3/5 JS2 days were JS1 days, randomness would predict something around 60%, so your finding of 75% could be significant. Perhaps their office has days that are primarily for notification and days that are primarily for review and other functions, and the other 25% of JS2s were just tossed off during downtime or before the holiday.


I forgot about this part. If we remove the 12/23 JS2's (there were seven), which could be, as you say, tossed off before the holiday, then we arrive at a total of 64/80 JS2's going out on day's with JS1's, which puts us at 80%.

Now we're just messing with the data ("two kinds of lies..."), but it's fun lol.


So? What? You're saying JS2s are even more likely to come with JS1s than not?


Well if we remove 12/23 on the grounds that it's an "anomaly" and they were just trying to get them out before the holidays, then yes, the correlation increases to 80%. But I don't know that we can justify removing 12/23, so I think the correlation of 74% is more defensible.

It's all wild speculation to pass the time though, so it doesn't matter either way lol.


I think even without removing 12/23 74% is interesting enough that you don't need to go manipulating data.

Anyway, yeah, it's all just an attempt to forget about the fact that we're a bunch of type-A overachievers who now have literally zero control over what happens to us. :shock:

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:50 pm

jaesonko wrote:JS1 today! Submitted first week of December, 172 / above 75th GPA.


Dang, this might take the record for most JS1's in the same day.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:51 pm

IrishJew wrote:
I think even without removing 12/23 74% is interesting enough that you don't need to go manipulating data.

Anyway, yeah, it's all just an attempt to forget about the fact that we're a bunch of type-A overachievers who now have literally zero control over what happens to us. :shock:


It certainly is interesting, and sort of goes against the common fear/question of "so there were JS1's, does that mean no JS2's today?"

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby residentemma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Does JS2 just mean an admissions decision via email?? I don't speak Harvard...

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:24 pm

residentemma wrote:Does JS2 just mean an admissions decision via email?? I don't speak Harvard...


Acceptance phone call for most. Internationals get it via email.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”