Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 am

hwannabe1234 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Third time taker.

Do you know Harvard really evaluates based on the highest???..


What kind of numbers are you looking at? Are we talking about huge jumps or just a steady climb up?


I have one high 150s (1st time) and high 160s (2nd), and 174(third take)

I have around 75% gpa and K-JD


Wow, impressive rise. Like I said, I have no data to support this but I think you'll be fine numbers-wise.

You have a JS1 coming up, right? My friend and I who had JS1s felt like while they aren't out to trick you, they will ask about the "weakest" part of your app (I was asked about my diverse work experience, he was asked about his low LSAT), so if I were you I might prepare for a "what's the deal with your LSAT?" question.

User avatar
I Used to Be a Spy
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am

According to Karen (on the Spivey consulting thread) HLS looks at highest.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:18 am

I Used to Be a Spy wrote:According to Karen (on the Spivey consulting thread) HLS looks at highest.


And for those who don't know (which isn't many I'm sure), Karen used to be the Admissions Director at HLS until last year.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 am

hwannabe1234 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
I have one high 150s (1st time) and high 160s (2nd), and 174(third take)

I have around 75% gpa and K-JD


You managed to take the LSAT three times while in college?
I'm impressed by that.


Yes. it was tough times.


Did you take them back-to-back (Like June-October-December) or were they spread out through undergrad?

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 am

patfeeney wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
I have one high 150s (1st time) and high 160s (2nd), and 174(third take)

I have around 75% gpa and K-JD


You managed to take the LSAT three times while in college?
I'm impressed by that.


Yes. it was tough times.


Did you take them back-to-back (Like June-October-December) or were they spread out through undergrad?


back-to-back

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 am

IrishJew wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Third time taker.

Do you know Harvard really evaluates based on the highest???..


What kind of numbers are you looking at? Are we talking about huge jumps or just a steady climb up?


I have one high 150s (1st time) and high 160s (2nd), and 174(third take)

I have around 75% gpa and K-JD


Wow, impressive rise. Like I said, I have no data to support this but I think you'll be fine numbers-wise.

You have a JS1 coming up, right? My friend and I who had JS1s felt like while they aren't out to trick you, they will ask about the "weakest" part of your app (I was asked about my diverse work experience, he was asked about his low LSAT), so if I were you I might prepare for a "what's the deal with your LSAT?" question.


Thanks. and Also how much does being K-JD affect application result..

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am

hwannabe1234 wrote:
patfeeney wrote:
Did you take them back-to-back (Like June-October-December) or were they spread out through undergrad?


back-to-back


Congrats on your score, and for staying sane. My studying for June became studying for October, and I basically became a shut-in during that whole time period.

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 am

patfeeney wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
patfeeney wrote:
Did you take them back-to-back (Like June-October-December) or were they spread out through undergrad?


back-to-back


Congrats on your score, and for staying sane. My studying for June became studying for October, and I basically became a shut-in during that whole time period.


Yes it was miserable.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am

Who made the chart with decision dates on page one of this thread? Do we have one/can we make one for 2012-2013? I don't want to re-create the wheel if this has already been done.

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 am

Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:36 am

hwannabe1234 wrote:Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H


Subtract 2 from your LSAT score.




Edit: Just kidding. It's not really quantifiable, and dependent on other factors such as your numbers. If you are K-JD, hopefully you have some internships or other substantive experience you can point to on your resume. If you are K-JD and literally did nothing else during UG, that could hurt you.

If you're numbers are borderline, it could hurt you slightly. If you're numbers are stellar it probably won't matter. If you get a JS1, expect that to be the focus of your interview, and be prepared to answer why you want to go to law school now instead of taking time off and working for a bit.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 am

lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H


Subtract 2 from your LSAT score.


And -.3 from your GPA. Although I'm not sure if you have to do both.

Anecdotal evidence suggests you only have to subtract -.1524 from GPA and -1 from LSAT if LSAT is above 75%

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 am

lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H


Subtract 2 from your LSAT score.


That much..?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 am

hwannabe1234 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H


Subtract 2 from your LSAT score.


That much..?


See my above edit.

hwannabe1234
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hwannabe1234 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:39 am

lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:Any idea how much negatively K-JD affects application at H


Subtract 2 from your LSAT score.


That much..?


See my above edit.


Oh.... You made me panic for 20 seconds

User avatar
Mort_the_Tort
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

¿ today ?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:45 am

Mort_the_Tort wrote:¿ today ?


god i love you

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Mort_the_Tort wrote:¿ today ?


god i love you


Mort will be wrong until he's right, and then he'll have all of us fooled.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 am

patfeeney wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Mort_the_Tort wrote:¿ today ?


god i love you


Mort will be wrong until he's right, and then he'll have all of us fooled.


It's like the broken clock that's right twice a day. Or Nouriel Roubini.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

lawschool22 wrote:
patfeeney wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Mort_the_Tort wrote:¿ today ?


god i love you


Mort will be wrong until he's right, and then he'll have all of us fooled.


It's like the broken clock that's right twice a day. Or Nouriel Roubini.


Mort is never *wrong*--it's always just a question.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Mort is never *wrong*--it's always just a question.


Touche lol. I guess it's all of us fools who answer him that are wrong :D. Damn you, Mort. :lol:

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:Mort is never *wrong*--it's always just a question.


Touche lol. I guess it's all of us fools who answer him that are wrong :D. Damn you, Mort. :lol:


That's why HLS gave him tenure...

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chneyo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby residentemma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:45 pm

When was the most recent wave? Has anyone gotten accepted or rejected (I hear there's no waitlist) since last week? I had my JS1 on Friday 1/10 and am hoping I'm with the next wave, unless they're holding me until like May, womp womp... I don't think my brain can take it too much longer without knowing

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm

residentemma wrote:When was the most recent wave? Has anyone gotten accepted or rejected (I hear there's no waitlist) since last week? I had my JS1 on Friday 1/10 and am hoping I'm with the next wave, unless they're holding me until like May, womp womp... I don't think my brain can take it too much longer without knowing


I believe the last js2 was done on 12/24. Still a lot of us from December waiting for a decision :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests