Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

Tela1283

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Tela1283 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm

I know it doesn't matter much, and I'm sure I can search through the thread to find this this info but I figured it'd be quicker to just ask anyway -- does anyone know how many people get JS1's vs. how many accepted?

Thanks

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Tela1283 wrote:I know it doesn't matter much, and I'm sure I can search through the thread to find this this info but I figured it'd be quicker to just ask anyway -- does anyone know how many people get JS1's vs. how many accepted?

Thanks

Someone might have more precise info but last year it was around ~1200 JS1s and 850 or so accepted

edit: I think they're doing more interviews this year, but probably keeping the accepted # around the same. Stick around for some more in-depth analysis from LS22

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Tela1283 wrote:I know it doesn't matter much, and I'm sure I can search through the thread to find this this info but I figured it'd be quicker to just ask anyway -- does anyone know how many people get JS1's vs. how many accepted?

Thanks

Someone might have more precise info but last year it was around ~1200 JS1s and 850 or so accepted

edit: I think they're doing more interviews this year, but probably keeping the accepted # around the same. Stick around for some more in-depth analysis from LS22

Haha no additional analysis, you've got it right :D. Although I had not heard they were doing more interviews this year. Not doubting, but where did you see that?

ETA: Tela this link will give you a lot of info about this year's class: HLS Standard 509 Report

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Thanks

Haha no additional analysis, you've got it right :D. Although I had not heard they were doing more interviews this year. Not doubting, but where did you see that?

ETA: Tela this link will give you a lot of info about this year's class: HLS Standard 509 Report

I may have mixed it up with last year's mention that they were doing more, which bumped it to 1200. Please disregard that unless someone else has info to back it up

edit: looking at that link, how is it possible that people are receiving more than full tuition?

kershka

Postby kershka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Thanks

I may have mixed it up with last year's mention that they were doing more, which bumped it to 1200. Please disregard that unless someone else has info to back it up

edit: looking at that link, how is it possible that people are receiving more than full tuition?

They probably received some form of living stipend

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

According to the financial aid website, the only way to receive more than around $35,000/yr in grants is if you have dependents. See this link http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... rried.html

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:According to the financial aid website, the only way to receive more than around $35,000/yr in grants is if you have dependents. See this link http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... rried.html

I see, thanks. Thank you too, Kershkha.

Mort_the_Tort

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 pm

¿ monday ?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Mort_the_Tort wrote:¿ monday ?

I'm done predicting lol

hwannabe1234

Postby hwannabe1234 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:59 pm

During the js1 interview, can you wear/use headphones with mic attached to it?

wouldn't it look weird if you put on headphones around your head during the interview...

?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:03 pm

hwannabe1234 wrote:During the js1 interview, can you wear/use headphones with mic attached to it?

wouldn't it look weird if you put on headphones around your head during the interview...

?

I wore small earbuds and used an external mic. The earbuds will definitely help with feedback. I think they're pretty common and would be fine.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:15 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
hwannabe1234 wrote:During the js1 interview, can you wear/use headphones with mic attached to it?

?

I wore small earbuds and used an external mic. The earbuds will definitely help with feedback. I think they're pretty common and would be fine.

The instructions specifically say that it's fine if you use headphones.

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:57 pm

?

Headphones are completely fine. During my Chicago interview, my interviewer actually had on a headset like you described.

I think LS22 had the best combination for headset/mic. I used my computer mic which worked alright and a set of earbuds. I found that worked well, because I could keep one earbud in but leave the other out so that my voice didn't get too loud. If you have non-sound suppressing headphones, however, that's probably not as big of a concern.

Just test whatever method you decide on before the interview to make sure there are no kinks and you should be good to go!

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:02 pm

kershka wrote:

?

Headphones are completely fine. During my Chicago interview, my interviewer actually had on a headset like you described.

I think LS22 had the best combination for headset/mic. I used my computer mic which worked alright and a set of earbuds. I found that worked well, because I could keep one earbud in but leave the other out so that my voice didn't get too loud. If you have non-sound suppressing headphones, however, that's probably not as big of a concern.

Just test whatever method you decide on before the interview to make sure there are no kinks and you should be good to go!

Are we really doing this? lol. It's a skype interview, I'm pretty sure that as long as you are doing something reasonable for an online interview you have no need to worry. For the record, though, I used earbuds and the computer mic and haven't gotten in yet, so that's probably what killed my app. :roll: :D

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:04 pm

IrishJew wrote:
kershka wrote:

?

Are we really doing this? lol. It's a skype interview, I'm pretty sure that as long as you are doing something reasonable for an online interview you have no need to worry. For the record, though, I used earbuds and the computer mic and haven't gotten in yet, so that's probably what killed my app. :roll: :D

I'm not sure which part of the above comments you're taking issue with...

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:53 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I'm not sure which part of the above comments you're taking issue with...

I know it's in all our natures to freak out and want to get it perfect, it just seems a little silly to be fretting about what kind of headphones to use. I mean, I'm pretty darn anal-retentive and even I wasn't worried about that! But maybe I'm just being a jackass, which is totally a possibility too!

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 pm

IrishJew wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I'm not sure which part of the above comments you're taking issue with...

I know it's in all our natures to freak out and want to get it perfect, it just seems a little silly to be fretting about what kind of headphones to use. I mean, I'm pretty darn anal-retentive and even I wasn't worried about that! But maybe I'm just being a jackass, which is totally a possibility too!

Okay, I'm not interested in getting into a fight but I'm unsure if you're responding to my previous comment or that of hwannabe who first posted the question. If it's to me then I think you misunderstood what I was saying and kinda overreacted regardless. I have already been admitted and was just trying to reassure hwannabe, in response to their inquiry, that a headset wouldn't hurt them as I used one and was still admitted. My advice was to do a run through on Skype before the interview to make sure that there were no technical gaffs that could unsettle them during the interview. During my practice run, I discovered that taking one earbud out made me sound more natural. For a friend, doing a run-through showed her that her computer mic wasn't picking up her voice and she had to go out and buy an external mic. Either way, my comments were just designed to reassure them that they'd be fine and should go with whatever makes them the most comfortable. (FWIW, I didn't "fret over what kind of headphones to use." I used the only ones I owned and checked that my computer mic worked because I didn't really have the money to buy an external mic as was advised).

I hope that your comments were directed at me and not hwannabe because getting reassurances about stressful parts of the admissions process is a huge part of what this thread is for. Earlier people were worried about what color tie to wear; wondering if a headset would look awkward has not only been asked a million times but is pretty reasonable, considering. Given their concern, this is probably their first Skype interview and it's therefore not obvious to them that using a headset is perfectly normal.

But this whole thing is ridiculous and I'm not sure how it even got started. Hwannabe1234 and other recent JS1s, you all are going to do great! Pour yourselves a glass of wine, curl up in your most comfortable chair, and just relax. You've got this. Good luck! :D

Mort_the_Tort

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 am

what we need is some poetry -- cue chneyo

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 am

Kershka, all good points. Clearly I came off badly and I apologize. I agree COMPLETELY that checking your system and rehearsing are good ideas. It sounded to me like the question was "will JS hold it against me if I'm wearing a headset as opposed to some other configuration." My reaction to that was meant to be less a harsh "you're stupid" and more of a lighthearted "come on, you'll do fine." Though obviously that didn't come through very well and I'm sorry for that.

I had never had a skype interview before my JS1, and there were plenty of details I worried about, but I guess just because I didn't think to fret about how my headphones would look doesn't mean it isn't a reasonable concern.

Folks who are heading into JS1: I certainly can't speak for everyone, but FWIW I had an interview and felt like the interviewer was pretty friendly, genuinely interested in learning about me as an applicant, and not looking for tiny things to "hold against me." Two friends IRL who had interviews felt the same way. Personally I found it a lot less scary than I expected, though I was definitely glad I prepared. (Though I haven't gotten my JS2 yet, so I'm by no means an expert). They wouldn't have invite you unless they thought you were Harvard material!

kershka

Postby kershka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 am

NP, Irish :) Sometime tone is hard to convey online. Everyone freaks out about different things and it can be funny to see what each person is worried about. It's just good to get your concerns out here so that you're not worried about inconsequential things during that actual interview.

And I agree. The interviewers are definitely not looking to trick you. It may not be as relaxed as UVA, but my interviewer was still perfectly nice (though I had to keep fighting the urge to look at the screen instead of the camera to check her expression and see how my constant stammering was being perceived :P )

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:09 am

So i had put a hold on my application although it went complete early December because I was writing December LSAT. I have notified them that I would like to take off the hold on my application as I have received my score. But my status checker's "current status date" still reads December 3rd.... should I be concerned?

sandclock

Postby sandclock » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 am

Does anybody know how many people or what percentage of the total have been accepted until now?

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 am

esther0123 wrote:So i had put a hold on my application although it went complete early December because I was writing December LSAT. I have notified them that I would like to take off the hold on my application as I have received my score. But my status checker's "current status date" still reads December 3rd.... should I be concerned?

Probably not, but if you are, just write to the hls staff to confirm that the hold has been lifted.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 am

sandclock wrote:Does anybody know how many people or what percentage of the total have been accepted until now?

We are extremely uninformed, but we've speculated that about 300 people have been accepted out of a total of 800 that will be accepted. That means about 38% of the class has been filled up.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:56 am

HorseThief wrote:
sandclock wrote:Does anybody know how many people or what percentage of the total have been accepted until now?

We are extremely uninformed, but we've speculated that about 300 people have been accepted out of a total of 800 that will be accepted. That means about 38% of the class has been filled up.

Closer to 860ish will be accepted. Not that it matters all that much, I just want to send out as much hope as possible lol :D.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”