Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:45 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:53 am

:|

Not sure who I'm allowed to quote here, but for what it's worth, I only had 11 posts when I started the Harvard thread. Then I started posting frequently in there, but I don't think it was much more than many others.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:01 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mort_the_Tort
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Mort_the_Tort » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:24 am

Today is the day -- !!!

Bring on the JS2's !

and whatever happens, let us be thankful for all that we have been given.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 am

FuriousDuck wrote:I'm really enjoying all the sleep we're not getting. I just discovered Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality and I'm going to keep reading until I crash.


For anyone who hasn't read it, HPMOR is pretty great. Harry Potter AU where Harry is really knowledgable about science and rationality before he finds out he's a wizard. There's a bit of a cult around the author that it's important to not fall into, but it's very enjoyable. And *very* long.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:29 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
twobitrye
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby twobitrye » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 am

Newbie question here, but what's with all the "no quotes" requests? Just making certain posts less visible?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 am

AdComms read TLS, at least a little. I agree with Scoobs, though, that they would not reject applicants solely for being or posting on TLS, even if frequently.

Having said that, saying things on TLS (especially in this thread) that are immature or racist or homophobic or show a really shitty work ethic would reflect poorly on the applicant, and I could see an AdComm considering that. I haven't seen anything that stands out at all this year... but I've heard from several people that in the past, decisions might have been impacted.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 am

twobitrye wrote:Newbie question here, but what's with all the "no quotes" requests? Just making certain posts less visible?


Yeah, you can edit your own posts but you can't edit someone elses quote of your original, if that makes sense.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Leo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:30 am

Good morning friends. We will all be receiving JS1 and JS2s today! I know this because I have faith, and faith is a fact. It says so right here in George Bluth's "Caged Wisdom." C'mon, imnoscar, back me up.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 am

Sooooooooo, what happened ITT last night?

Also, it's really easy to try and attach a narrative to a rejection in order to convince yourself that you can take the steps to avoid that rejection, like people have already said ITT. But honestly, every year they're going to have to turn away some highly qualified people. I mean look at this thread and all your brilliant peeps, and most likely some of us are unfortunately going to be wl/r and in that's just how it is

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 am

Good morning, HLS Waiters.

Hoping today is the day for all of us November and December JS1's. And for those of you waiting on a JS1, I hope today is your day as well! Although I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't hear anything today, I have a feeling the office will be busy trying to crank out some decisions before the weekend.

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:43 am

lawschool22 wrote:Good morning, HLS Waiters.

Hoping today is the day for all of us November and December JS1's. And for those of you waiting on a JS1, I hope today is your day as well! Although I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't hear anything today, I have a feeling the office will be busy trying to crank out some decisions before the weekend.


GL to you! you're gonna get that js2

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:03 am

LS22 - I didn't have a dream :(

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:06 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:LS22 - I didn't have a dream :(


Oh no! Me either. Oh well, the real thing is always better.

Edit: Well I just accidentally wasted post 1,000 lol

Edit 2: Hey Poison, if you delete your post I may be able to try deleting mine :D
Last edited by lawschool22 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Poison
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Poison » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:07 am

Ahh... Newb-tron bomb. I don't know how to delete a post but I edited your quote out of it.
Last edited by Poison on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 am

Best of luck today guys!

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby applelover » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:LS22 - I didn't have a dream :(


Oh no! Me either. Oh well, the real thing is always better.

Edit: Well I just accidentally wasted post 1,000 lol

Edit 2: Hey Poison, if you delete your post I may be able to try deleting mine :D

Welcome to the 1000+ group. Lol

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 am

applelover wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:LS22 - I didn't have a dream :(


Oh no! Me either. Oh well, the real thing is always better.

Edit: Well I just accidentally wasted post 1,000 lol

Edit 2: Hey Poison, if you delete your post I may be able to try deleting mine :D

Welcome to the 1000+ group. Lol


Lol thanks, even though it was premature :D

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby neprep » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

lawschool22 wrote:
applelover wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:LS22 - I didn't have a dream :(


Oh no! Me either. Oh well, the real thing is always better.

Edit: Well I just accidentally wasted post 1,000 lol

Edit 2: Hey Poison, if you delete your post I may be able to try deleting mine :D

Welcome to the 1000+ group. Lol


Lol thanks, even though it was premature :D


Yes, it's a very special group. >1,000 posts is pretty much an auto-ding at YLS, and H and S are not too happy with you either at that point. NYU will snap you up though.

ETA: I'm going from pillar to post trying to implement your suggested Skype-interview mise en scène, LS22.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby IrishJew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 am

92653 wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:You know, I can't really prove that you're not right about why people like Lavitz weren't admitted, because for all I know you could be. However, I feel like you might be grasping at straws a bit. We see how some people with high numbers and no discernible application flaws were rejected, and we want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to us, so we take whatever we know about them and tells ourselves that that is the reason. In truth, there are thousands of possible reasons why Lavitz and others like him were not admitted, and we really have very little idea of which one's are most likely.

I like to believe that when an application cycle goes awry it's because something bad was in a LOR, since that's the factor most applicants are least able to least able to self-evaluate, but there's so many other things that can go wrong, so I'm probably wrong in assuming that its a LOR problem most of them time. Sometimes we have to admit that we don't really understand why things happen the way they do.

I was rejected by several schools where I was somewhere around 90th percentile combined GPA/SAT for undergrad. People came to me with all sorts of reasons why it may have happened. I eventually ended up realizing that I never properly completed the applications. Woops.


This.
+1.
Actually, all of the +.

(I also think PSs can be something hard to predict -- even if we think we wrote a solid one, people will respond differently to the stories we tell based on their own lived experiences, and that can make a huge difference.)


Yep, in a nutshell that's where superstitions come from. +1 That's why I haven't changed my socks since I submitted my Harvard app (just kidding, Harvard admission officers reading this. I smell like Harvard-scented roses.)

And I also believe that Harvard has made itself to be about more than just numbers. It's something they apparently say they have prioritized, and there seems to be some support for it in the numbers. But then again, it's a mystery, and I may just want to believe that because I have funky numbers.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

neprep wrote:
Yes, it's a very special group. >1,000 posts is pretty much an auto-ding at YLS, and H and S are not too happy with you either at that point. NYU will snap you up though.

ETA: I'm going from pillar to post trying to implement your suggested Skype-interview mise en scène, LS22.


Ha sounds like I'm in good company.

And good luck with the set-up! If you run into issues you know where to find me

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby applelover » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:33 am

lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:
Yes, it's a very special group. >1,000 posts is pretty much an auto-ding at YLS, and H and S are not too happy with you either at that point. NYU will snap you up though.

ETA: I'm going from pillar to post trying to implement your suggested Skype-interview mise en scène, LS22.


Ha sounds like I'm in good company.

And good luck with the set-up! If you run into issues you know where to find me


I still wonder if JS actually read my post or if it was coincidence. I will never know.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 am

applelover wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:
Yes, it's a very special group. >1,000 posts is pretty much an auto-ding at YLS, and H and S are not too happy with you either at that point. NYU will snap you up though.

ETA: I'm going from pillar to post trying to implement your suggested Skype-interview mise en scène, LS22.


Ha sounds like I'm in good company.

And good luck with the set-up! If you run into issues you know where to find me


I still wonder if JS actually read my post or if it was coincidence. I will never know.


If she did, it sure didn't seem to matter :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BACsop, JosefK and 18 guests