Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 pm

paglababa wrote:What did you guys wear on skype? Full Suit with tie? Would shirt/blazer combo work without tie?


I wore what I had on for work that day, which was a nicely pressed shirt and tie with a v-neck sweater. I thought a suit might be overkill, but I didn't think about it much at all - it was just easier to wear what I had on for work, because honestly I highly doubt it matters that much unless it's a t-shirt and jeans. I will say my interviewer was fairly casually dressed, so don't think of it as a highly formal setting.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:43 pm

jingosaur wrote:
paglababa wrote:What did you guys wear on skype? Full Suit with tie? Would shirt/blazer combo work without tie?


I wore a full suit with a tie. Always dress your best at interviews. I even experimented with the Trinity Knot for my tie.

At my Wharton interview, I went with french cuffs and a Trinity Knot and I'll let you know how that worked out soon.


You fancy. I had to google french cuffs and trinity knot to even know what you were talking about :( .

EDIT: To help others: I wore a full suit as well. Don't think it matters so long as you look professional. I wore full suit because that's what I would wear to OCI. Also, tested it in my camera and it looked better.

User avatar
Happy Gilmore
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Clearly JS has found away to determine all the applicants that read TLS and has decided to deny or wait list us all. That's the theory I am going with to explain why there hasn't been a second wave yet.

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Instinctive » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
paglababa wrote:What did you guys wear on skype? Full Suit with tie? Would shirt/blazer combo work without tie?


I wore what I had on for work that day, which was a nicely pressed shirt and tie with a v-neck sweater. I thought a suit might be overkill, but I didn't think about it much at all - it was just easier to wear what I had on for work, because honestly I highly doubt it matters that much unless it's a t-shirt and jeans. I will say my interviewer was fairly casually dressed, so don't think of it as a highly formal setting.


Wore a polo and jeans…it's a law school admissions interview that is supposed to be fairly low key. Guess we'll find out if that killed me haha.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

How many of us will spontaneously combust if there aren't any JS2s this week?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:How many of us will spontaneously combust if there aren't any JS2s this week?


They HAVE to be this week. I can't imagine them going on break without another wave...can they? :shock:

User avatar
dobryden
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dobryden » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:How many of us will spontaneously combust if there aren't any JS2s this week?


I really think I might. Spreading holiday cheer through being the open fire over which everyone can roast chestnuts?

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby applelover » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:How many of us will spontaneously combust if there aren't any JS2s this week?


They HAVE to be this week. I can't imagine them going on break without another wave...can they? :shock:


*cue panic*

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Instinctive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
paglababa wrote:What did you guys wear on skype? Full Suit with tie? Would shirt/blazer combo work without tie?


I wore what I had on for work that day, which was a nicely pressed shirt and tie with a v-neck sweater. I thought a suit might be overkill, but I didn't think about it much at all - it was just easier to wear what I had on for work, because honestly I highly doubt it matters that much unless it's a t-shirt and jeans. I will say my interviewer was fairly casually dressed, so don't think of it as a highly formal setting.


Wore a polo and jeans…it's a law school admissions interview that is supposed to be fairly low key. Guess we'll find out if that killed me haha.

Entirely appropriate, some people just like to go overboard.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2223
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jingosaur » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:Clearly JS has found away to determine all the applicants that read TLS and has decided to deny or wait list us all. That's the theory I am going with to explain why there hasn't been a second wave yet.


I'd literally cry if TLS kept me out of Harvard. It would kind of suck because TLS telling me to retake was what made me competitive for Harvard in the first place.

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Instinctive » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
paglababa wrote:What did you guys wear on skype? Full Suit with tie? Would shirt/blazer combo work without tie?


I wore what I had on for work that day, which was a nicely pressed shirt and tie with a v-neck sweater. I thought a suit might be overkill, but I didn't think about it much at all - it was just easier to wear what I had on for work, because honestly I highly doubt it matters that much unless it's a t-shirt and jeans. I will say my interviewer was fairly casually dressed, so don't think of it as a highly formal setting.


Wore a polo and jeans…it's a law school admissions interview that is supposed to be fairly low key. Guess we'll find out if that killed me haha.

Entirely appropriate, some people just like to go overboard.


I know. She actually commented on the shirt (it's for an org I'm a leader in) and it segued perfectly into some resume item discussion. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt to overdress, and I have a very different plan for MBA interviews.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Were there 3 waves by this time last year?

User avatar
2x2Matrix
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 2x2Matrix » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Instinctive wrote:I know. She actually commented on the shirt (it's for an org I'm a leader in) and it segued perfectly into some resume item discussion. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt to overdress, and I have a very different plan for MBA interviews.


this is a pro move

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 am

Wear a suit on top but only boxers on the bottom. It will remind you of how under control you have everything.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 am

TripTrip wrote:Wear a suit on top but only boxers on the bottom. It will remind you of how under control you have everything.


Credited.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 am

On a serious note though, do wear a suit with a tie. A huge reason for the interviews is to see how well you would do in a firm interview. In a firm interview, you'll wear a suit with a tie. HLS wants to see that you know how to dress your best for a job interview, because how well you do in job interviews will affect their employment numbers. It's not a question of whether the interview is supposed to be casual. Yes, the conversation will be casual and friendly, just like it might be in a job interview. That doesn't mean you don't dress your best and go all the way.

What I'm saying is this: if you have a pocket square, put it in your pocket.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:50 am

2x2Matrix wrote:
Instinctive wrote:I know. She actually commented on the shirt (it's for an org I'm a leader in) and it segued perfectly into some resume item discussion. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt to overdress, and I have a very different plan for MBA interviews.


this is a pro move

+1
That's smart!!!

User avatar
CitrusFruit
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CitrusFruit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:54 am

TripTrip wrote:On a serious note though, do wear a suit with a tie. A huge reason for the interviews is to see how well you would do in a firm interview. In a firm interview, you'll wear a suit with a tie. HLS wants to see that you know how to dress your best for a job interview, because how well you do in job interviews will affect their employment numbers. It's not a question of whether the interview is supposed to be casual. Yes, the conversation will be casual and friendly, just like it might be in a job interview. That doesn't mean you don't dress your best and go all the way.

What I'm saying is this: if you have a pocket square, put it in your pocket.


this guy probably wore a suit to college campus tours :roll:

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 am

Image

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:59 am

I am predicting that nothing will happen today.

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby almondjoy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:06 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:I am predicting that nothing will happen today.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:10 pm

CitrusFruit wrote:
TripTrip wrote:On a serious note though, do wear a suit with a tie. A huge reason for the interviews is to see how well you would do in a firm interview. In a firm interview, you'll wear a suit with a tie. HLS wants to see that you know how to dress your best for a job interview, because how well you do in job interviews will affect their employment numbers. It's not a question of whether the interview is supposed to be casual. Yes, the conversation will be casual and friendly, just like it might be in a job interview. That doesn't mean you don't dress your best and go all the way.

What I'm saying is this: if you have a pocket square, put it in your pocket.


this guy probably wore a suit to college campus tours :roll:

:lol:

But seriously, I feel comfortable when wearing a suit.

Blazer and shirt can fit in many, if not all, occasions.

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:I am predicting that nothing will happen today.

User avatar
CitrusFruit
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CitrusFruit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:I am predicting that nothing will happen today.


yep.

User avatar
Luchi91
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Luchi91 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Haven't been rejected! Not sure if it's because my app is still in line to be reviewed or because they're having mercy on me haha
My online checker-

Status: Application Complete
Current Status Date: 11/8/2013

Waiting and praying!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, AZnative, bleakchimera2, carlos_danger, jstans, malysh, maybeman and 18 guests