Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:i think this cycle will be easier to get in than last cycle...

thoughts?


Difficult thing to predict but apps and LSAT takers do seem to continue to be trending down. However, HYS still shouldn't have many problems.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby mindarmed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 pm

H does not historically give out fee waivers correct?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:01 pm

mindarmed wrote:H does not historically give out fee waivers correct?


They do not give out merit-based waivers, however they do give out need-based.

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Vincent » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:i think this cycle will be easier to get in than last cycle...

thoughts?


Difficult thing to predict but apps and LSAT takers do seem to continue to be trending down. However, HYS still shouldn't have many problems.


I believe Harvard reported a net increase in applicants from the 11-12 admissions cycle to the 12-13 cycle.

No details as to whether there was a significant difference in application quality, though.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 pm

application quality is the most important factor when considering the decrease in admission difficulty

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 am

Anyone else experiencing a problem on the Harvard app in the C&F section? The explanation field doesn't save correctly. I called LSAC yesterday and they said others have said the same thing, and that they were working on it. Still not fixed today.

HYS123
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HYS123 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone else experiencing a problem on the Harvard app in the C&F section? The explanation field doesn't save correctly. I called LSAC yesterday and they said others have said the same thing, and that they were working on it. Still not fixed today.


Running into this same problem

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm

For anyone interested, I stumbled on this image of what 4 out of 5 1L classroom looks like: http://www.ramsa.com/images/content/4/9/49520.jpg
Last edited by TripTrip on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

.

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:35 pm

.
Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
TripTrip wrote:For anyone interested, I stumbled on this image of what 4 our of 5 1L classroom looks like: http://www.ramsa.com/images/content/4/9/49520.jpg

I went to a school that didn't have lecture hall classes so this is still something I'm not entirely looking forward to.

They've done a good job of keeping it from feeling like a lecture hall. Certainly, at other schools there are a lot larger classes than the 80 we have here.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:
TripTrip wrote:For anyone interested, I stumbled on this image of what 4 our of 5 1L classroom looks like: http://www.ramsa.com/images/content/4/9/49520.jpg

I went to a school that didn't have lecture hall classes so this is still something I'm not entirely looking forward to.

They've done a good job of keeping it from feeling like a lecture hall. Certainly, at other schools there are a lot larger classes than the 80 we have here.

That's good to hear.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Searchparty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:
TripTrip wrote:For anyone interested, I stumbled on this image of what 4 our of 5 1L classroom looks like: http://www.ramsa.com/images/content/4/9/49520.jpg

I went to a school that didn't have lecture hall classes so this is still something I'm not entirely looking forward to.

They've done a good job of keeping it from feeling like a lecture hall. Certainly, at other schools there are a lot larger classes than the 80 we have here.


Seconded.... definitely never would refer to these rooms as lecture halls. More specifically because law school classes aren't lectures. Also, I think you'll like the protection of the number of classmates. Lowers chances of being called on.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I came from a UG where I never had a class over 20-30 students. Harvard classes haven't felt much bigger, even though I know there's 80 students in the room.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 am

Brandon Spikes, checking in.
Image

MAHamlin
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby MAHamlin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:I came from a UG where I never had a class over 20-30 students. Harvard classes haven't felt much bigger, even though I know there's 80 students in the room.


I definitely agree that the rooms in Wasserstein don't feel large or lecture hall-like. I have a couple classes Austin East, though, and that room feels less intimate and makes it harder to mask the actual size of the section.

I shouldn't complain about class size, though; as mentioned earlier, a larger class means less chance you're in the hot seat. Plus, the professors have been very open and accessible, so you can fight combat the anonymity of a large class by going to lunch or office hours with our professor.

HYS123
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HYS123 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 pm

FYI the glitch in the C&F section has been fixed. App is in, wish me luck!

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

NapoleonXV
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 am

APP IS IN!!!

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:51 am

(I also posted this to the Law School Admissions forum, but it seems relevant here as well:)

Am I the only one interpreting Harvard's C&F Qs to be slightly more lenient than other schools? I don't see which Q would require one to disclose being put on academic probation. They are also the only school (well, I haven't read Yale or Stanford's C&F Qs) who don't seem to care about traffic-related misdemeanors..

How are people handling disclosing C&F? Are you just writing in the box? I can't fit my nice addenda in there.. I could say straight up say what I was convicted of, but I can't give the explanation and "Now I'm super responsible" bit (that's paraphrased, for those who are concerned). Should I give a brief summary, and then attach both of my C&F addenda (criminal and academic) in one full addendum to the optional addendum slot?

HYS123
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby HYS123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:(I also posted this to the Law School Admissions forum, but it seems relevant here as well:)

Am I the only one interpreting Harvard's C&F Qs to be slightly more lenient than other schools? I don't see which Q would require one to disclose being put on academic probation. They are also the only school (well, I haven't read Yale or Stanford's C&F Qs) who don't seem to care about traffic-related misdemeanors..

How are people handling disclosing C&F? Are you just writing in the box? I can't fit my nice addenda in there.. I could say straight up say what I was convicted of, but I can't give the explanation and "Now I'm super responsible" bit (that's paraphrased, for those who are concerned). Should I give a brief summary, and then attach both of my C&F addenda (criminal and academic) in one full addendum to the optional addendum slot?


The only C&F issue I had to disclose for H was a University alcohol violation, so I just made it short and sweet in the text box. If its something similar, i.e. not a big deal, I would just write something new and keep it short. For more serious things, I'd consider an addendum.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby heythatslife » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:31 pm

App is in. I was debating with myself over whether to do a DS or not, which took a few days to decide, but I think my PS covers what I was going to say anyway, so I submitted without it. Let the waiting begin...

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Just left a Harvard info session, and the associate director said that they start reviewing applications on October 1st. Get ready.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Just left a Harvard info session, and the associate director said that they start reviewing applications on October 1st. Get ready.


Shit...I need to get my app together lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, Bing [Bot], blackpi, BodieBroadus, Ferrisjso, Google Adsense [Bot] and 15 guests