Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 325

luckystar84

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby luckystar84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by luckystar84 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 pm

luckystar84 wrote:tyty lastsamurai, so nice of you to include me.

I know we're all speculating at this point, but if I'm them, I'm not thinking "well we did it on Monday when we didn't last year, so we've met our 2-day goal. let's go home."

I see it as more likely that they thought "last year we did Tues + Wed, and we're gonna do that this year too, but sls going last week turned up the heat a bit so let's do Monday in addition to Tues + Wed to "catch up"" also, they started earlier with JS1s, so there were more of them to go through, so if they wanted to meet their goal of "let's clear this many pre-thanksgiving JS1s" before thanksgiving, they'd have to do Monday to account for the extra 2 weeks of JS1s

although the NE is getting a storm I hear (stay safe), so they might just say let's stay home.

If it helps, Boston won't be getting snow, just heavy rain and wind.

Last year, what date of JS1's did they get to before Thanksgiving?

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:20 pm

luckystar84 wrote:I see it as more likely that they thought "last year we did Tues + Wed, and we're gonna do that this year too, but sls going last week turned up the heat a bit so let's do Monday in addition to Tues + Wed to "catch up""also, we started earlier with JS1s, so there were more of them to go through, so if they wanted to meet their goal of "let's clear this many pre-thanksgiving JS1s" before thanksgiving, they'd have to do Monday to account for the extra 2 weeks of JS1s

FTFY

I think the reasoning that they have done more JS1's at this point is the credit explanation, I highly doubt Stanford's release had anything to do with it.

For the record, I think there will be more JS2's tomorrow.

luckystar84

Postby luckystar84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by luckystar84 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 pm

wtrc wrote:If it helps, Boston won't be getting snow, just heavy rain and wind.

Last year, what date of JS1's did they get to before Thanksgiving?

There were three people in last year's thread who were accepted on 11/21 after receiving invites to interview on 11/8. I assume they all interviewed by 11/15, so turn around time was about a week. I wouldn't be surprised this year if those applicants who interviewed through 11/20 received a JS2 tonight/tomorrow. And who knows? Anything is possible

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 pm

The-Specs wrote:
luckystar84 wrote:I see it as more likely that they thought "last year we did Tues + Wed, and we're gonna do that this year too, but sls going last week turned up the heat a bit so let's do Monday in addition to Tues + Wed to "catch up""also, we started earlier with JS1s, so there were more of them to go through, so if they wanted to meet their goal of "let's clear this many pre-thanksgiving JS1s" before thanksgiving, they'd have to do Monday to account for the extra 2 weeks of JS1s

FTFY

I think the reasoning that they have done more JS1's at this point is the credit explanation, I highly doubt Stanford's release had anything to do with it.

Agreed. An earlier poster in this thread a week or so ago said there were JS1 slots open for tomorrow I think as well, so they will be in the office, presumably.

CitrusFruit

Postby CitrusFruit » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:38 pm

wtrc wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

FTFY

Agreed. An earlier poster in this thread a week or so ago said there were JS1 slots open for tomorrow I think as well, so they will be in the office, presumably.

good catch. They started around this time last night, right? Who knows...maybe they will try tonight. Doubt it, but wouldn't shock me.

sonyvaio18

Postby sonyvaio18 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:13 pm

LSAT 170/4.0. JS2.
Last edited by sonyvaio18 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm

sonyvaio18 wrote:LSAT 170. JS2. it's possible! 170+ is not a necessary condition.

What time did you get a call?

2x2Matrix

Postby 2x2Matrix » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:15 pm

I had my JS1 this morning. I've gotten a lot of help from other TLSers, so I'm happy to share my experience via pm :)

CitrusFruit

Postby CitrusFruit » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
sonyvaio18 wrote:LSAT 170. JS2. it's possible! 170+ is not a necessary condition.

What time did you get a call?

Yeah, this is the pertinent question. What time!?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Everyone,

Those who have been admitted--because now you all have the opportunity to attend the greatest legal institution in the world--and those who have yet to hear--because you all are otherwise blessed beyond comprehension--

Congratulations; and give thanks, Thursday and always!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:56 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Can we add a gender column to the spreadsheet? I'm just curious to see if any patterns emerge.

Added

Yay, thanks! Everyone, please make sure to update this. I noticed a curious phenomenon of everyone who has been accepted so far on LSN (save one or maybe two by now) was either male or didn't have a gender listed. I'm guessing that's just because this is a largely male forum, for whatever reason (which warrants a study in itself, lol).

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Also, I'm working on a formula that would equally weight LSAT and GPA by converting GPA to a 120-180 scale and then adding them (which may or may not be very accurate at all) and convert it into a single number, and then compute an average for those with JS2s at this point. You could then compare your own personal "index" number to this number to gauge where you stand.

I imagine this has an almost 0% chance of accuracy, but it would at least be fun/interesting :)

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Hey guys,

So I want to preface this by saying I'm very happy to see all of you getting in--you all worked hard, and its well deserved.

Now, with that said, seeing how many people are getting in right now also makes me a little nervous! I didn't apply until November 4th, and I just recently got a JS1 scheduled for December 5th. Can anyone shed any light on what the ramifications are of being in a later round of JS1s? I'm worried a bit, because logically it seems like now its going to be more difficult to get in. If they have, say, made 200 offers by the time I interview, it seems like that would put me at a relatively big disadvantage--if there are less seats, then they will be more stingy with their offers.

Not being down on myself, but the truth is that Harvard is a reach for me (as it is most people!). I never really thought I would be offered admission..... but then I got offered that damn interview and I've gotten my hopes up.

The only thing I can think of that would make me feel better is if all these offers are going out to people who are the obviously top candidates, and the interview was more of a formality. Looking at the spreadsheet, there seems to be some validity to this, but then there are also people with lower numbers.

So... Idk. Just wanted to get y'alls opinion on it.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Workingtitle wrote:Hey guys,

So I want to preface this by saying I'm very happy to see all of you getting in--you all worked hard, and its well deserved.

Now, with that said, seeing how many people are getting in right now also makes me a little nervous! I didn't apply until November 4th, and I just recently got a JS1 scheduled for December 5th. Can anyone shed any light on what the ramifications are of being in a later round of JS1s? I'm worried a bit, because logically it seems like now its going to be more difficult to get in. If they have, say, made 200 offers by the time I interview, it seems like that would put me at a relatively big disadvantage--if there are less seats, then they will be more stingy with their offers.

Not being down on myself, but the truth is that Harvard is a reach for me (as it is most people!). I never really thought I would be offered admission..... but then I got offered that damn interview and I've gotten my hopes up.

The only thing I can think of that would make me feel better is if all these offers are going out to people who are the obviously top candidates, and the interview was more of a formality. Looking at the spreadsheet, there seems to be some validity to this, but then there are also people with lower numbers.

I think last year there were about 1200 people interviewed and roughly 66 percent got JS2's. Your application isn't late, but there is evidence that your chances of acceptance will be lower than an otherwise identical candidate who applied earlier:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219552&p=7230683&hilit=

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Try to remember you are still pretty early. Karen Buttenbaum (former head of HLS admissions) has consistently said that submitting before Thanksgiving is early.

Also, I do think there is a higher likelihood of the "more qualified" candidates having apps in earlier as a) they probably did well enough on the June LSAT to be ready to submit, b) being "ahead of schedule" is likely to be a trait of the tippy top numbers people (obviously this is a generalization), c) the spreadsheet (though not representative) supports that the earliest submits and acceptances were highly qualified (number wise) and were likely to get in.

Remember, around 1200 JS1's went out last year, and around 800 offers went out. Yes, odds vary by applicant, but by and large you have a higher than average shot. By garnering an interview they saw something they liked and want to learn more. Knock your interview out of the park and make them highly aware of why they need to accept you.

[Note: I too have my JS1 next week so maybe this was wishful thinking / personal pep talk :)]

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Also, I'm working on a formula that would equally weight LSAT and GPA by converting GPA to a 120-180 scale and then adding them (which may or may not be very accurate at all) and convert it into a single number, and then compute an average for those with JS2s at this point. You could then compare your own personal "index" number to this number to gauge where you stand.

I imagine this has an almost 0% chance of accuracy, but it would at least be fun/interesting :)

Maybe a better way to go about this would be to calculate JS2 odds for people in various categories (above both 75ths, above both medians, etc)?

Also, checking in :D

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I missed so many discussions ITT. Thank you everyone for your support and best of luck to everyone!
Last edited by applelover on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm

neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:still have yet to go complete :(

To put your problems and anxieties in perspective…

hth

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm

scoobers wrote:

neprep wrote:

hth

Scoobers I am admittedly not a megapoaster, but I think your quantity and quality of the use of "hth" deserves an award :)

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
scoobers wrote:

neprep wrote:

hth

Scoobers I am admittedly not a megapoaster, but I think your quantity and quality of the use of "hth" deserves an award :)

hth is probably greatest acronym in history of acronyms.
eta: and scoobs is 180 user of said acronym

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:24 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:

I mean, Harvard is a school that emphasizes applying as early as possible because of the rolling advantage...but I think I remember an HLS admissions rep saying in an interview that "fall" qualified as early because their big rush is right before the deadline. I think at this point, you're just fine!

We applied the same day, I think...when did you hear the JS1, if you don't mind me asking? Was it via email?

That's funny! I got the JS1 by email yesterday, the 25th. I think I may have been one of the later ones though, because when I went to schedule the interview there was probably only 10 spots or so left. Haha so naturally I got nervous, rushed in, and randomly picked one :)

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:30 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

hth is probably greatest acronym in history of acronyms.
eta: and scoobs is 180 user of said acronym

lol lawschool22 you MAY not have the preftige of a megapoaster but you do have the preftige of making the most useful spreadsheets in history

aka look forward to some gifs when you get into lawl school
Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”