Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
djfududeman
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby djfududeman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

The-Specs wrote:I just recieved this e-mail from my friend who is a HLS 3L:

Specs,

Just some information that you might find useful or stress-reducing. We met with a member of the the admissions office last week to go over some stuff and she mentioned that they have not sent out any offers of admission and will not start doing so until sometime in December. Thought you might appreciate the heads-up in case you were unaware of the timetable.


Looks like either he is mistaken or the timetable has changed dramatically from the last couple of years so I asked him and then he said this:

Now that I think back, she might have mentioned late November as well, though the emphasis seemed to be December. It came up because I told her that I had heard by the end of October when I was applying under a different admissions staff and I was wondering if they had let people know yet. So your info on Thanksgiving might be accurate. Regardless, I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't be looking for the letter yet.


So, take it for what it is worth.


Oh good god I hope they start JS2's by Turkey week, this is scary information! But nice find Specs

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:00 pm

djfududeman wrote:
The-Specs wrote:I just recieved this e-mail from my friend who is a HLS 3L:

Specs,

Just some information that you might find useful or stress-reducing. We met with a member of the the admissions office last week to go over some stuff and she mentioned that they have not sent out any offers of admission and will not start doing so until sometime in December. Thought you might appreciate the heads-up in case you were unaware of the timetable.


Looks like either he is mistaken or the timetable has changed dramatically from the last couple of years so I asked him and then he said this:

Now that I think back, she might have mentioned late November as well, though the emphasis seemed to be December. It came up because I told her that I had heard by the end of October when I was applying under a different admissions staff and I was wondering if they had let people know yet. So your info on Thanksgiving might be accurate. Regardless, I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't be looking for the letter yet.


So, take it for what it is worth.


Oh good god I hope they start JS2's by Turkey week, this is scary information! But nice find Specs


This info is actually pretty valuable for those of us who would be freaking out if we didn't receive a JS1 during Turkey week while others did. Good to know there should be 2 waves in quick succession (if this info is accurate).

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby wtrc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 pm

I want to go completeeee
Last edited by wtrc on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drawstring » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Had my JS1. I got fairly general questions and thought I did ok, though I was a bit nervous and I hope that didn't show too much. Lavitz's and elterrible's rejections with great numbers had me worried about not performing well.

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Instinctive » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 pm

I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Instinctive wrote:I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.


Beats posting a gym selfie or last night's dinner IMO

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cway » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Instinctive wrote:I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.



A whole thread just for this question...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200802

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edwardt1988 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Instinctive wrote:I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.


Beats posting a gym selfie or last night's dinner IMO


That's only cuz ur not rocking a sixpack. We obv have to share everything on Facebook

User avatar
gingerspice
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gingerspice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Had my JS1, I thought it went well. Questions were fairly specific. I'm happy to give details via PM.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Instinctive wrote:I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.

my high school had a "wall of rejection." i guess that's a little bit like the Ding Bar thread, but it was fun and i wouldn't judge people for doing that on facebook, etc.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby mindarmed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Instinctive wrote:I know this is probably not going to matter (since I'd have to get in), but how do we here at TLS feel about posting photos of acceptance letters on social media?

Saw a few people at my school doing it last year and am not sure how I feel about it.


Tbf, I won't be posting any because I am friends with future law students and you don't want to post them and make them feel bad for not getting in. Brag to your family, close friends, the entirety of Facebook doesn't need to know you've been accepted to GeorgeTTTown.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm

I think posting actual acceptance letter photos is hella silly and borders on (or maybe even firmly rests in) gross humblebrag territory, but I don't see the problem with generally sharing acceptances on social media. It's exciting! And it's something we've all worked hard for. I don't resent friends doing well, and I hope they feel the same way towards me.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:18 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I think posting actual acceptance letter photos is hella silly and borders on (or maybe even firmly rests in) gross humblebrag territory, but I don't see the problem with generally sharing acceptances on social media. It's exciting! And it's something we've all worked hard for. I don't resent friends doing well, and I hope they feel the same way towards me.

i think that if it is your dream school, then yeah I understand. i had a lot of friends post literally every single school they got in to, and that just gets ridiculous.

User avatar
Trig
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Trig » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:49 pm

.
Last edited by Trig on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Southbridge wrote:I posted in the Law School Admissions forum but I wanted a Harvard specific answer. On my résumé I have a job starting in high school that I had halfway through college. I have read that Harvard made it very clear that they do not want high school work experience included. Do you think I would be okay in leaving this job on or should I take it off? I don't want to lie and tinker with the start date.


I would leave it as is. It's work experience you had during college, and there's no reason why you should have to modify the start date.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby mindarmed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 pm

scoobers wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I think posting actual acceptance letter photos is hella silly and borders on (or maybe even firmly rests in) gross humblebrag territory, but I don't see the problem with generally sharing acceptances on social media. It's exciting! And it's something we've all worked hard for. I don't resent friends doing well, and I hope they feel the same way towards me.

i think that if it is your dream school, then yeah I understand. i had a lot of friends post literally every single school they got in to, and that just gets ridiculous.


OMG I GOT ACCEPTED TO INDIANA LAW!!!

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 pm

mindarmed wrote:
scoobers wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I think posting actual acceptance letter photos is hella silly and borders on (or maybe even firmly rests in) gross humblebrag territory, but I don't see the problem with generally sharing acceptances on social media. It's exciting! And it's something we've all worked hard for. I don't resent friends doing well, and I hope they feel the same way towards me.

i think that if it is your dream school, then yeah I understand. i had a lot of friends post literally every single school they got in to, and that just gets ridiculous.


OMG I GOT ACCEPTED TO INDIANA LAW!!!

Image

User avatar
djfududeman
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby djfududeman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

My take on bragstatus posting: everything in moderation, including moderation. That being said, we've got a culture that seems to celebrate athleticism (sports) and popularity (celebrities) wayyyy more than academic achievement (how many Americans have heard of Miley Cyrus vs Samuel Alito?). I think tipping the balance a little bit, and showing the fb world how awesome, exciting, and "like-garnering" it can be to have gotten into a dream LS, isn't that terrible.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jingosaur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 am

I told myself that I will only post 2 acceptances on Facebook and there will be no pictures. If someone says "pics or it didn't happen" I will send them the most vulgar picture that I can think of at the time.

User avatar
twobitrye
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby twobitrye » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:18 am

jingosaur wrote:I told myself that I will only post 2 acceptances on Facebook and there will be no pictures. If someone says "pics or it didn't happen" I will send them the most vulgar picture that I can think of at the time.


I'll probably post two acceptances as well, the first one and the one I plan on accepting (assuming they're different). This seems like a good balance between coming off as braggy and sharing good news.

Unrelated: I got a JS1 with both GPA and LSAT at or below the 25th percentiles. For those of you out there with less impressive numbers but strong softs, it seems like it's still possible to have a horse in this race.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 am

twobitrye wrote:I'll probably post two acceptances as well, the first one and the one I plan on accepting (assuming they're different).

So one now and one next July?

TeufelHunden88
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TeufelHunden88 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 am

twobitrye wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I told myself that I will only post 2 acceptances on Facebook and there will be no pictures. If someone says "pics or it didn't happen" I will send them the most vulgar picture that I can think of at the time.


I'll probably post two acceptances as well, the first one and the one I plan on accepting (assuming they're different). This seems like a good balance between coming off as braggy and sharing good news.

Unrelated: I got a JS1 with both GPA and LSAT at or below the 25th percentiles. For those of you out there with less impressive numbers but strong softs, it seems like it's still possible to have a horse in this race.


Same for me! Now just waiting for that JS2 next week! Good luck to the underdogs!

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby andapieceoftoast » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 am

Wondering if anyone else is in my boat: applied early Oct. to most of the T-14 and got a JS1 in the first wave. I haven't yet been accepted to anywhere in the top 10, but for a time I let the fact that I got a JS1 lull me into a false sense of security about my chances at other schools. Now I'm starting to freak out because I've heard nothing from schools I feel I am a good fit for (HLS is a reach) and they've already released decisions.

Does anyone else feel a similar sense of foreboding re: the rest of your apps?

TeufelHunden88
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TeufelHunden88 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am

andapieceoftoast wrote:Wondering if anyone else is in my boat: applied early Oct. to most of the T-14 and got a JS1 in the first wave. I haven't yet been accepted to anywhere in the top 10, but for a time I let the fact that I got a JS1 lull me into a false sense of security about my chances at other schools. Now I'm starting to freak out because I've heard nothing from schools I feel I am a good fit for (HLS is a reach) and they've already released decisions.

Does anyone else feel a similar sense of foreboding re: the rest of your apps?


I've only heard back from 3 of the T-14, but I applied to them in September. So perhaps you'll be in the next wave of decisions since you applied in October.... ?

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jingosaur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 am

andapieceoftoast wrote:Wondering if anyone else is in my boat: applied early Oct. to most of the T-14 and got a JS1 in the first wave. I haven't yet been accepted to anywhere in the top 10, but for a time I let the fact that I got a JS1 lull me into a false sense of security about my chances at other schools. Now I'm starting to freak out because I've heard nothing from schools I feel I am a good fit for (HLS is a reach) and they've already released decisions.

Does anyone else feel a similar sense of foreboding re: the rest of your apps?


http://mylsn.info/datevdate.php

Most schools don't start releasing decisions until early December. If you still haven't heard back by Christmas, I would start worrying, but just sit tight for now.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodieBroadus, Gaaooo, Maaza, mdu, rationalhound, samsamthomas and 18 guests