Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
38
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
1
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
64
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
7
2%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
43
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
62
19%
Waitlisted
61
19%
Dinged D:
49
15%
 
Total votes: 325

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:24 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
maximus92 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Got that e-mail from JS inviting me to take a closer look at HLS, as if I haven't already dreamt of being admitted. Is it really a bad sign? My numbers are fairly competitive IMO


I think you misread, he meant it was a bad sign *for him* because he didn't get it. I think, at least. I'm sure an unsolicited e-mail from Harvard to check out their school (although, why in the world would they need to do that? They're Harvard...) is never a bad sign.



I agree!


Oh, hopefully that's what he meant. I was under the impression that he meant they send those e-mails in order to boost their selectivity by getting more people to apply and then denying them.


This is usually why they are sent, especially by lower ranked schools like harvurd.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:27 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:This is usually why they are sent, especially by lower ranked schools like harvurd.


Now I'm even more confused than before.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 pm

The-Specs wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:This is usually why they are sent, especially by lower ranked schools like harvurd.


Now I'm even more confused than before.


+10

Can't tell if he is being sarcastic or not.


You mad?

I think most schools do it to increase selectivity. I think Harvard might do it just to make sure it gets a good spread of applicants... I really don't think HLS is doing anything about being #2/#3 with SLS.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:40 pm

I think we're reading into these letters way too much. If you've got good numbers, as you do t14orbust, then there's no reason they'd send to you for nefarious reasons. Maybe it has to do with the drop in applicants, maybe it's just procedural to get the word out a bit so they have a bigger pool to work with, who knows. 1 year from now we can discuss this in depth and with out all the stress at some restaurant in Cambridge.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Sourrudedude » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:42 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I think we're reading into these letters way too much. If you've got good numbers, as you do t14orbust, then there's no reason they'd send to you for nefarious reasons. Maybe it has to do with the drop in applicants, maybe it's just procedural to get the word out a bit so they have a bigger pool to work with, who knows. 1 year from now we can discuss this in depth and with out all the stress at some restaurant in Cambridge.

+1

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I didn't get an email from Harvard, though I did get one from Pacific McGeorge School of Law today, so I can't complain.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:45 pm

The-Specs wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:I think we're reading into these letters way too much. If you've got good numbers, as you do t14orbust, then there's no reason they'd send to you for nefarious reasons. Maybe it has to do with the drop in applicants, maybe it's just procedural to get the word out a bit so they have a bigger pool to work with, who knows. 1 year from now we can discuss this in depth and with out all the stress at some restaurant in Cambridge.


I like you. Reservation for 2 at said restaurant please.


Drinks on me

edit: bring girls

ralph
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ralph » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:49 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I think we're reading into these letters way too much. If you've got good numbers, as you do t14orbust, then there's no reason they'd send to you for nefarious reasons. Maybe it has to do with the drop in applicants, maybe it's just procedural to get the word out a bit so they have a bigger pool to work with, who knows. 1 year from now we can discuss this in depth and with out all the stress at some restaurant in Cambridge.


So do you think we should call the email a JSP(pre)?

Anyone else get a JSP? Someone should add a column on the google doc roster.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 am

sabanist wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I think the real question here is how sabanist managed to accrue 9 years(yes, I know, they could have overlapped- still impressive nonetheless IMO) of work experience as a K-JD.

Lots of overlap - the only one that didn't was IT. Started retail work as soon as I turned 16 and took whatever else I could find to help keep my family afloat. Law school is going to be the first time since I was legally eligible to have a job that I haven't had one, so that's gonna be weird. I didn't get grilled too hard on the "why no time off, why law now" front in my JS1, and I think having a ton of part-time experience while in school helped with that.


Similar situation in regard to WE. Did you include Pre-HS graduation jobs on your résumé? I've worked since I was I age- more than half of it full time, but I thought I should only include jobs post-High School. Thoughts?

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sabanist » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Similar situation in regard to WE. Did you include Pre-HS graduation jobs on your résumé? I've worked since I was I age- more than half of it full time, but I thought I should only include jobs post-High School. Thoughts?

This may change for the upcoming year, but last year's application had a question asking you to list all employment and internships. Because this gives you the opportunity to flaunt your work ethic without clogging up a resume, I'd probably stick to post-HS jobs on the resume. I included all of my jobs because the ones I started in high school extended into college and fit my "I'm a hard worker" app theme, but if you have full time experience, I'd emphasize that. The only question asked of my resume during my JS1 was about a particular job overlap that made for a 40 hour work week on top of classes, and that seems to fit with HLS's emphasis on full time WE.
If you have a HS job/internship that really informed your decision to go to law school (internship at a DA's office or something), it might be better to discuss that in your PS.

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Checking in

Innovative
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Innovative » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 am

Checking in. Wishing everyone a great cycle!

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:47 am

Finished the intro paragraph of my first draft PS today :) Finally making some progress lol

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:55 am

t-14orbust wrote:Finished the intro paragraph of my first draft PS today :) Finally making some progress lol


Feels good to have that out of the way. I finished it about a month ago. Waiting until September to give it the final touches.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Finished the intro paragraph of my first draft PS today :) Finally making some progress lol


Congrats! How much work did you guys put in on these parts of your app before you were done with the LSAT? I want to get all of my other stuff ready by the time my score comes back in Oct, but don't want to short change the LSAT.

Innovative
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Innovative » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote: Congrats! How much work did you guys put in on these parts of your app before you were done with the LSAT? I want to get all of my other stuff ready by the time my score comes back in Oct, but don't want to short change the LSAT.


I took the LSAT in June and started working on the PS after I got my results. If you feel like you are going to short change your LSAT studying then I would wait until after you take it to begin writing your PS. Your PS is a subsidiary part of your application that can be important, but not nearly as important as the LSAT. (Lots of emphasis on not nearly!)

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Finished the intro paragraph of my first draft PS today :) Finally making some progress lol


Congrats! How much work did you guys put in on these parts of your app before you were done with the LSAT? I want to get all of my other stuff ready by the time my score comes back in Oct, but don't want to short change the LSAT.


I finished with my LSAT last february so I was just busy finishing up school until this summer. I'd suggest putting in 100% of your effort into the LSAT, and then working on your app during the 3-4 weeks it takes for scores to come out. It really shouldn't take you much longer than that. Of course, you can/should brainstorm the general direction of your PS.

User avatar
edgeofthenight
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm

...
Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Checking in. I was held then rejected last year as a non-URM with a 3.9x and 161 (retaking in October), so here's to hoping.

User avatar
sashafierce
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby sashafierce » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Checking it :D

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't forget to join the spreadsheet, bros

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Searchparty » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
sabanist wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I think the real question here is how sabanist managed to accrue 9 years(yes, I know, they could have overlapped- still impressive nonetheless IMO) of work experience as a K-JD.

Lots of overlap - the only one that didn't was IT. Started retail work as soon as I turned 16 and took whatever else I could find to help keep my family afloat. Law school is going to be the first time since I was legally eligible to have a job that I haven't had one, so that's gonna be weird. I didn't get grilled too hard on the "why no time off, why law now" front in my JS1, and I think having a ton of part-time experience while in school helped with that.


Similar situation in regard to WE. Did you include Pre-HS graduation jobs on your résumé? I've worked since I was I age- more than half of it full time, but I thought I should only include jobs post-High School. Thoughts?


For those jobs, I gave them two lines. One for the job title/year/etc. and the second line was just a quick bullet point. The reason I did this was to limit the space on such a stupid thing. Every one knows the duties of a restaurant and retail worker, no reason to try to elaborate or make it seem better than it is. However, put it there because it will show how long you've been working.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], guybourdin, mm2368 and 7 guests