Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
3%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 329

The-Specs

Silver

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Post by The-Specs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:59 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Soooo I had my JS1 this week. I'm 99% sure my JS1 was less considering me as an applicant, and more filling their "We interviewed 1200 applicants!" quota.

It was fun having hope while it lasted..
Why do you say this?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:09 pm

The-Specs wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Soooo I had my JS1 this week. I'm 99% sure my JS1 was less considering me as an applicant, and more filling their "We interviewed 1200 applicants!" quota.

Why do you say this?
PMed.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

Why do you say this?
PMed.
Thanks.

turtles

New

Post by turtles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:40 pm

i'd also love to know your experience. could you pm me too?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:40 pm

What makes you say that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Blargh. Didn't interview with JS, have a crappy app, interviewer didn't seem to know a ton about my application.

I have a shitty background, I'm a shitty applicant, it was silly to get my hopes up. But I'm proud of myself for even getting an interview. It's certainly more than anyone in my family ever accomplished and certainly more than anyone I know ever hoped for me to accomplish. I'm trying to focus on that now. Rejection or not, I accomplished something here.

I just wish I could be one of the people who are going to eventually report back with a JS2. :( I can't even bring myself to tell my family that I'm probably not getting in, because this may have been the first time they were ever legitimately proud of me. That hurts.

prospect2014

New

Post by prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:40 am

Searchparty wrote:
prospect2014 wrote:on the subject of HLS deleting you as a skype contact:

do they invite you to be a contact immediately before they call you? or is it as soon as you schedule (i.e. as long as 1-2 weeks before they actually call you)?

just asking because I changed my skype's privacy settings when I was on a public computer a few weeks ago and I may have disabled allowing others to add you. I've since reenabled it, but I don't know if I've already missed the invite.
Can be days prior or day of, depends on what they feel like. Likely day of your interview they will try to re-find you if it didn't work the first time around.
thanks.

fuck, does this mean there's one more thing for me to worry about until just before my interview? whether they tried reaching through to me and already failed?

has anyone gotten the skype invite (not the JS1 email) more than 24hrs before their interview? there are 3-6 days before my interview. obviously the first 2 are Sat + Sun

ETA: I just tested it w/ a friend and apparently hte privacy setting is that non-contacts can't call. but they can still add you as a contact, and then call afterward.

New question: does JS1 add you as a contact before calling, or do they call literally out of nowhere?
Last edited by prospect2014 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 am

I think I may just need to take a couple days to sleep on my interview. A weekend of sleep and chillaxing will hopefully help me gain some perspective (I haven't really had any time to relax and just breathe since my interview). I didn't mean to freak anyone out about their JS1; my interviewer was great, and I think it went pretty well. I'm probably just overly doubting myself (which.. I admittedly have a tendency to do).

Good luck to everyone having their JS1 (and to everyone who has had one!). I'm sure you'll kill it (or already killed it), and we'll all get into Harvard, and everything will work out perfectly. Or so we have to tell ourselves. X)

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:34 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I think I may just need to take a couple days to sleep on my interview. A weekend of sleep and chillaxing will hopefully help me gain some perspective (I haven't really had any time to relax and just breathe since my interview). I didn't mean to freak anyone out about their JS1; my interviewer was great, and I think it went pretty well. I'm probably just overly doubting myself (which.. I admittedly have a tendency to do).

Good luck to everyone having their JS1 (and to everyone who has had one!). I'm sure you'll kill it (or already killed it), and we'll all get into Harvard, and everything will work out perfectly. Or so we have to tell ourselves. X)

I PMd you, but I hope you feel better. Enjoy your weekend!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 am

prospect2014 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

do they invite you to be a contact immediately before they call you? or is it as soon as you schedule (i.e. as long as 1-2 weeks before they actually call you)?

just asking because I changed my skype's privacy settings when I was on a public computer a few weeks ago and I may have disabled allowing others to add you. I've since reenabled it, but I don't know if I've already missed the invite.
Can be days prior or day of, depends on what they feel like. Likely day of your interview they will try to re-find you if it didn't work the first time around.
thanks.

fuck, does this mean there's one more thing for me to worry about until just before my interview? whether they tried reaching through to me and already failed?

has anyone gotten the skype invite (not the JS1 email) more than 24hrs before their interview? there are 3-6 days before my interview. obviously the first 2 are Sat + Sun

ETA: I just tested it w/ a friend and apparently hte privacy setting is that non-contacts can't call. but they can still add you as a contact, and then call afterward.

New question: does JS1 add you as a contact before calling, or do they call literally out of nowhere?

Yes they add you as a contact. That's why we were talking about them deleting you. So no worries, they will add you and then call.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blargh. Didn't interview with JS, have a crappy app, interviewer didn't seem to know a ton about my application.

I have a shitty background, I'm a shitty applicant, it was silly to get my hopes up. But I'm proud of myself for even getting an interview. It's certainly more than anyone in my family ever accomplished and certainly more than anyone I know ever hoped for me to accomplish. I'm trying to focus on that now. Rejection or not, I accomplished something here.

I just wish I could be one of the people who are going to eventually report back with a JS2. :( I can't even bring myself to tell my family that I'm probably not getting in, because this may have been the first time they were ever legitimately proud of me. That hurts.
Darn, now I'm second guessing my own interview.

I didn't interview with JS, but I felt like she knew my app well enough. I hope not interviewing with JS isn't indicative that they aren't taking your app too seriously.

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

I didn't interview with JS, but I felt like she knew my app well enough. I hope not interviewing with JS isn't indicative that they aren't taking your app too seriously.
I highly doubt they just throw all the apps they aren't serious about to one person. They are all busy people with different schedules. Don't worry about it. 1200 interviews is a lot to get through. They're going to share the workload.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:04 am

prospect2014 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:

Don't fret about it. I wasn't added until about an hour before my call. They'll find a way to get in contact with you if they have troubles.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CitrusFruit

Bronze

Post by CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:36 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blargh. Didn't interview with JS, have a crappy app, interviewer didn't seem to know a ton about my application.

Wouldn't they want the dean to be the one to interview applicants they were less sure about? I don't buy the whole no-JS JS1 is a bad thing.

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 am

CitrusFruit wrote: Wouldn't they want the dean to be the one to interview applicants they were less sure about? I don't buy the whole no-JS JS1 is a bad thing.
+1

binary_theatrics

New

Post by binary_theatrics » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:41 am

CitrusFruit wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Wouldn't they want the dean to be the one to interview applicants they were less sure about? I don't buy the whole no-JS JS1 is a bad thing.
I don't buy either theory. I think that each interviewer has a certain number of slots each week based on the team's schedule, and the times of each interviewer's slots are set in advance. Thus, by choosing your slot on the reservation system, you are inadvertently also choosing your interviewer.

CitrusFruit

Bronze

Post by CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:41 am

Either way, if you had a JS1, somebody actively decided that you are among the top 1/5 of applicants to Harvard Law School. I very much doubt that they aren't taking your application seriously if you have had a JS1.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CitrusFruit

Bronze

Post by CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:43 am

binary_theatrics wrote:
CitrusFruit wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

I don't buy either theory. I think that each interviewer has a certain number of slots each week based on the team's schedule, and the times of each interviewer's slots are set in advance. Thus, by choosing your slot on the reservation system, you are inadvertently also choosing your interviewer.
I don't buy the theories either, I was just digging deeper to point out that you can really spin information any way you want. In actuality, it's probably random.

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:52 am

Think of it this way - did applicants who interviewed with KB last year get taken seriously? If so, then applicants interviewing with individuals other than JS will still be taken seriously. Do you expect JS to add 600 more interviews to her likely already packed slate?

Have a beer or something and relax.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Who interviews you is irrelevant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CitrusFruit

Bronze

Post by CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 pm

So who thinks JS2s coming this week?

winstonsalem

New

Post by winstonsalem » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 pm

I went and counted the number of people who reported JS or KB interviews for last year's thread, and surprisingly both JS and KB interviewees had an 80% admit rate. I know that's higher than the average rate of 70% overall for JS1s (I guess people who report their interviewer to TLS have higher admissions odds), but overall it shows that based off the limited available evidence that there is no reason to think that the interviewer means anything about one's admissions chances.

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

I felt terrible after my interview as well, and definitely got my hopes up. I've had a while to think about it though, and honestly all you can do is try to have some fun and relax. Realize that even if Harvard doesn't accept you, you getting an interview at harvard likely means you will end up at a great school, no matter where that ends up being.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I think the last thing the adcomm is trying to do is fill an "interview quota."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”