Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
3%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 329

drawstring

Gold

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm

In past cycles acceptances have been in sizable waves until pretty much the final ones, but maybe there are trickles here and there.

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 pm

So last cycle there was a JS2 wave on the 25th, which corresponds to tomorrow this year. That wave also included a few October completes.

Assuming there were dings on Friday, I believe the past few weeks of action have generally been in line with last cycle's.

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

drawstring wrote:So last cycle there was a JS2 wave on the 25th, which corresponds to tomorrow this year. That wave also included a few October completes.

Assuming there were dings on Friday, I believe the past few weeks of action have generally been in line with last cycle's.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Late feb complete waiting for JS1, who else is with me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

james.bungles wrote:Late feb complete waiting for JS1, who else is with me?
mid November complete. I'm about JSDone with waiting.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm curious about how many people who applied this cycle planned on applying next cycle until the deadlines were extended here and at other schools. Could Harvard be weakening their talent pool for next year?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:30 pm

drawstring wrote:I'm curious about how many people who applied this cycle planned on applying next cycle until the deadlines were extended here and at other schools. Could Harvard be weakening their talent pool for next year?
I doubt many people decided to apply just because they pushed the deadline back a month. I think it was to just encourage more retakes so they can have better numbers.

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm

I'll be honest, before the poll I thought I was one of the only ones remaining in this thread without a JS1. Logically I know this shouldn't make sense as majority of applicants don't get JS1's, but seeing the results makes me feel a little less alone... Here's hoping we get interview requests this week!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Mid January complete here! Although I really think its too late for us. Whats the usual turnaround from JS1 to JS2? Probably one week AT BEST but usually longer right? Not to mention you have to schedule your interview after you get the request so it'll probably take two weeks to get some sort of decision.

It's already the end of March and if they send out all decisions by mid-April, thats only 3 weeks away... :(

At this point, i'm thinking best case scenario is a WL, worst case a ding.

SordidLSATHistory

New

Post by SordidLSATHistory » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:54 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
Mid January complete here! Although I really think its too late for us. Whats the usual turnaround from JS1 to JS2? Probably one week AT BEST but usually longer right? Not to mention you have to schedule your interview after you get the request so it'll probably take two weeks to get some sort of decision.

It's already the end of March and if they send out all decisions by mid-April, thats only 3 weeks away... :(

Right there with ya, and your logic seems pretty hard to argue with. Don't lose hope just yet though - I had the same thoughts about U Chicago last week before getting my interview invite. I think I may have been in what was literally their last interview wave of this cycle (If there are any UChi hopefuls reading this, put away the pitchforks - I admit that this is more or less baseless speculation, just a feeling). Not that this has anything to do with Harvard, but I'm just saying: it's not over 'till it's over.
kkdk wrote:
I LOL'd at this. Seriously, I'm freaking out being a mid Jan complete - I can't imagine how you feel.

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:

I think we will see some JS1 requests this week, but I agree it seems like it might be getting too late for a straight Complete->JS1->Accept.

That being said, Harvard's wait list has always been pretty active, and an Accept is an Accept whether it comes in October, February, June, or August.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Quest4Knowledge wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:

I think we will see some JS1 requests this week, but I agree it seems like it might be getting too late for a straight Complete->JS1->Accept.

That being said, Harvard's wait list has always been pretty active, and an Accept is an Accept whether it comes in October, February, June, or August.
Would you go to HLS 100% if you got off the wait list? If that happened to me, I couldn't necessarily see myself jumping ship for HLS since it would mean losing my deposit and having to change all my plans and most likely having to pay more. A WL -> Accept just seems like it'd be so complicated, I wouldn't know what to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:54 pm

I guess it would depend on what else I was offered/ what the turnaround time was. If I was already heading to Stanford and HLS let me in in August after I'd already committed to moving to California, I'd probably turn it down. If I were attending NYU at sticker and HLS admitted me in June, I'd prob go.

For my purposes, I think everything through July is okay (God I hope I get a JS1 this week, though; seriously, I can't imagine waiting that long!). August starts to be sketchier.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:56 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:

Would you go to HLS 100% if you got off the wait list? If that happened to me, I couldn't necessarily see myself jumping ship for HLS since it would mean losing my deposit and having to change all my plans and most likely having to pay more. A WL -> Accept just seems like it'd be so complicated, I wouldn't know what to do.
i share your sentiment. there's also a big difference between getting wl-> accepted in May vs. 2 days before classes start.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

wait list movement begins in May? I guess that wouldn't be so bad....

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:03 pm

ah im not sure. i just recall trip trip getting in off WL last year in late may.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:05 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:wait list movement begins in May? I guess that wouldn't be so bad....
I think it depends on the cycle. Last year movement started in May according to LSN. In 2012, people were admitted in June and July.

ETA: Judging by the pace of this cycle, WL --> admits will probably happen in late-July at the earliest.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:10 pm

PourMeTea wrote:I swear there's an H OP curse
:|

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote: That being said, Harvard's wait list has always been pretty active, and an Accept is an Accept whether it comes in October, February, June, or August.
i share your sentiment. there's also a big difference between getting wl-> accepted in May vs. 2 days before classes start.
I think like teempeeta said, it would depend on what my other options are. But as it stands, I would definitely go to HLS if I got in off the wait list, whether that be in May/June or even late August.

This is obviously anecdotal, but a friend of mine got into her top choice just three days before classes started this September. She quit her full time job, moved to the city and lived in a friends apartment for the first week or so before getting settled into her own place. Of course the first few weeks of school were quite hectic, but in the end we're making such a big decision that if I got a call a week or so left in the summer, I would definitely pack up and move to Cambridge (assuming COA at other options are similar, and I have been rejected at YS).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Christ that sounds like such a pain. I wish schools would just have a deadline (like June 1 or something) where they finalized all acceptances so people aren't getting called in September. Why would H even need to accept those late people? I'm sure they would have a 500+ class already

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

peaches9848

New

Post by peaches9848 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

kkdk wrote:
+1

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:02 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:wait list movement begins in May? I guess that wouldn't be so bad....
There were several WL admits in late May last cycle.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Yo.

Early March.

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:07 pm

james.bungles wrote:Christ that sounds like such a pain. I wish schools would just have a deadline (like June 1 or something) where they finalized all acceptances so people aren't getting called in September. Why would H even need to accept those late people? I'm sure they would have a 500+ class already
That would be so great, just a strict deadline for a decision no matter what. I'm not sure why, but I would think they keep those later applicants in case their yield rates for some reason take a dip, or a safety net just in case.

Also, in case it wasn't clear - the example of my friend was not her experiences at HLS, but a different school. I'm not sure whether HLS even accepts people that late in the summer. A quick glance at LSN from last year shows the latest Waitlist->Accept was end of June. Although people were on the wait list but rejected in August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”