Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
3%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 329

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Okay so I doubt this is representative of the greater population, but on LSN for 12-13:

Of the 238 reported with an LSAT of 170+, 177 had a GPA >3.65, and 61 had a GPA <3.65.

61/238= ~25%

~25% of 170+ LSAT scorers had a GPA <3.65.

(I know this is super simple, if I'm making an erroneous assumption please let me know)

ETA: If we change that GPA cutoff to 3.7 (HLS's 'floor'), it becomes ~30%.

ETAx2: I'm foolish. These numbers are from people who APPLIED to HLS, not all 170+ LSAT takers. So they must have thought they had a GPA reasonable enough for Harvard, and people with much lower GPAs but high LSAT's wouldn't even be included in this sample. The % I came up with is absolutely not reliable. I don't have the data available for all of LSN last year right now though, but will find it later.

IrishJew

Bronze

Post by IrishJew » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:there aren't even a thousand that score 175+

If I recall correctly it was like 330 of them last year and 350 of them this year.
170 is 97.4th percentile (source: http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsa ... onversion/).

175 is 99.4th percentile.

Given that 112K LSATs were taken last year, there were just about 3000 170+ scores. A 1 percent increase is about 30 more people. Similarly, there should have been 750 175+, and a 6% gain would be about 45 people. All this is a rough approximation, of course.

Remember also, though, that the total number of LSATs is also dropping, so a 1% increase is a big deal proportionately speaking (I mean if the whole stockmarket is tanking and your shares in XYZ inc are "only" up one percent, you substantially outperformed the market).

(maybe headed for about 110 LSATs this year) just under 3000 people score about 170. A
yeah all i know is that the data Spivey tweeted indicated that it was closer to 350. Don't forget multiple test takers. Also, the percentiles have changed a bit since 2007-2010 which is what is represented on the chart you referenced.
Yeah, both of those are really good points and TBH I don't have time to sort those out. I just meant it as a rough approximation. Take with a whole lot of salt :)

gobears!!

Gold

Post removed.

Post by gobears!! » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
riverwater wrote:In the event that I'm waitlisted and not rejected, would Harvard accept an additional letter of recommendation? Wondering if I should start looking for someone...
I would look for one in case. If a professor sends and email with a letter attached on your behalf saying that I heard that so and so is waitlisted and this is why I think that you should take them, it would look good.

I would look just in case, but definitely wait for their instructions before having the recommender send. Don't know about HLS, but some schools say "you do not need to submit additional letters of recommendation," which I think is a more polite way of saying "we don't want you to submit additional letters of recommendation."
this. some schools do seem to actively discourage it.
you're jumping the gun here. you can always ask them personally in the event that you do get a w/l, and i'm sure they'll be forthcoming about their feelings.
alternatively, you could ask your recommender to write as though the letter was entirely unsolicited. that might still piss them off, though, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:34 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
riverwater wrote:In the event that I'm waitlisted and not rejected, would Harvard accept an additional letter of recommendation? Wondering if I should start looking for someone...
I would look for one in case. If a professor sends and email with a letter attached on your behalf saying that I heard that so and so is waitlisted and this is why I think that you should take them, it would look good.

I would look just in case, but definitely wait for their instructions before having the recommender send. Don't know about HLS, but some schools say "you do not need to submit additional letters of recommendation," which I think is a more polite way of saying "we don't want you to submit additional letters of recommendation."
Yep.

"Additional letters of recommendation are not necessary."

https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admission ... dest-part/

gobears!!

Gold

Post removed.

Post by gobears!! » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

It sort of seems like a hint to me that they don't want them, especially given what they say about new grades, awards, and jobs.

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 pm

drawstring wrote:It sort of seems like a hint to me that they don't want them, especially given what they say about new grades, awards, and jobs.
+1
i think i know the answer, but "awards" does not include scholarship offers from other law schools, i presume? I just want H to know they should love me too haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:51 pm

drawstring wrote:It sort of seems like a hint to me that they don't want them, especially given what they say about new grades, awards, and jobs.
This is how I read it as well.
rseaney wrote:
+1
i think i know the answer, but "awards" does not include scholarship offers from other law schools, i presume? I just want H to know they should love me too haha
And nope, those aren't the kinds of awards they are referring to, haha.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

So.... was it a BAD idea to send an LOCI with my updated LSAT if they haven't emailed me since early November, and I haven't emailed them?

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:So.... was it a BAD idea to send an LOCI with my updated LSAT if they haven't emailed me since early November, and I haven't emailed them?
How could information about a new score (assuming it was better) be detrimental to your application?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:15 pm

bhs12 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So.... was it a BAD idea to send an LOCI with my updated LSAT if they haven't emailed me since early November, and I haven't emailed them?
How could information about a new score (assuming it was better) be detrimental to your application?
I guess, knowing that LSAC would directly send them the score, I am worried I would be bothering/annoying them.

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:17 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
No, I think that was a good idea.

I would love a really good excuse to send them a LOCI.
My LOCI:

Dear Harvard,
I still think you're awesome because you are still awesome. I'm sorry if that didn't come through in my application or interview.

Sincerely,
Me

bbkk

Silver

Post by bbkk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 pm

It's so quiet today. I'm bored at work.

JS:

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
bhs12 wrote:
I guess, knowing that LSAC would directly send them the score, I am worried I would be bothering/annoying them.

I figured that was your concern (and I completely understand it). With that said, given its determinative power in this process, ensuring that they're aware of an LSAT score improvement is worth the very small risk of annoyance. Also, it's perfectly reasonable, in my opinion anyways, to be proactive— particularly at this point in the cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 pm

[quote="bbkk"]It's so quiet today. I'm bored at work.

JS:

[img]http://www.imagesbuddy.com/images/43/20 ... raphic.jpg[/img][/quote]

Call me* maybe?

*or email me with a JS1 request, as it were

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Bronze

Post by OMAR_COMIN_YO » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm

So... I guess nothing is happening today. Cool then.

IrishJew

Bronze

Post by IrishJew » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:00 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
bhs12 wrote:
I kind of agree with you on that one. I've never worked in an admissions office, but there was a Spivey post recently that said AdComs get tons of stuff and you don't want to piss them off. I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me and I really wanted to send something I'd probably keep to a SUPER short e-mail kissing a little Boston behind and reminding them of your score.
"Dear Harvard: Thank you so much for everything you do to review our applications thoroughly. As the admissions cycle winds down and I consider my options, Harvard remains my top choice because BLAH. I am sure LSAC has sent you my improved LSAT score. I hope the committee will evaluate this favorably when reviewing my application" or whatever.

But I think if you have something really awesome to add to your app, that might change things. "Since submitting my application I have become the dean of Yale law school and cured cancer."

Just my two cents.

ETA Here's the spivey post http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/timing ... nd-timing/

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm

IrishJew wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
bhs12 wrote:
I kind of agree with you on that one. I've never worked in an admissions office, but there was a Spivey post recently that said AdComs get tons of stuff and you don't want to piss them off. I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me and I really wanted to send something I'd probably keep to a SUPER short e-mail kissing a little Boston behind and reminding them of your score.
"Dear Harvard: Thank you so much for everything you do to review our applications thoroughly. As the admissions cycle winds down and I consider my options, Harvard remains my top choice because BLAH. I am sure LSAC has sent you my improved LSAT score. I hope the committee will evaluate this favorably when reviewing my application" or whatever.

But I think if you have something really awesome to add to your app, that might change things. "Since submitting my application I have become the dean of Yale law school and cured cancer."

Just my two cents.

ETA Here's the spivey post http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/timing ... nd-timing/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:42 pm

IrishJew wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
bhs12 wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thanks! I had read the post. BUT I did turn the letter into a more fully-developed LOCI. I highlighted my super-PI-heavy npo job. Also, kissed MAJOR ass. MAJOR. MAJOR ass.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
bhs12 wrote:

Just my two cents.

Thanks! I had read the post. BUT I did turn the letter into a more fully-developed LOCI. I highlighted my super-PI-heavy npo job. Also, kissed MAJOR ass. MAJOR. MAJOR ass.
I will be anxious to see if this works out, because it's almost in direct opposition to Spivey's advice :lol:

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Mirror, aren't you worried about outing yourself?

Chooch51

New

Post by Chooch51 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Leo wrote:Mirror, aren't you worried about outing yourself?
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”