Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you in the Harvard application process?

I'm applying next year, just reading this thread to prepare
12%
Applying this year, I got an extension on my application
0%
I applied and haven't gotten a JS1 yet
20%
I applied and got a JS1, but haven't had it yet.
3%
I had my JS1 but I'm waiting for a magical phone call
13%
Already had my JS2, just here to help
19%
Waitlisted
19%
Dinged D:
15%

Total votes: 329

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Harvard, C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esrom55

Bronze

Post by esrom55 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm

malleus discentium wrote:JD Admissions added me on Skype today, making me think I had mistaken the date and missed my interview. Freaked me the hell out. Fortunately not; they just added me a day early. :D Wish me luck for tomorrow!
You don't need luck.....

anubis1911

Bronze

Post by anubis1911 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 pm

JS1 tomorrow!! Any last minute advice?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

anubis1911 wrote:JS1 tomorrow!! Any last minute advice?
Be yourself, stay relaxed, have some good questions prepared, know your resume, test Skype (including your lighting), wear earbuds, come off as a real person.

pseu

New

Post by pseu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Set up your stuff plenty early, make sure everything is just right, and just chill for a good 20 minutes before the interview. That's what works best for me anyway, not thinking about it or trying to prepare more right before it happens. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Be yourself, stay relaxed, have some good questions prepared, know your resume, test Skype (including your lighting), wear earbuds, come off as a real person.
This, except I didn't wear earbuds and it was fine. And look at the camera! I was incredibly nervous for mine last week, but everyone is right that it's quite relaxed and the interviewers aren't looking to trip you up.

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:56 pm

drawstring wrote:Seems not.

I got my JS1 three days after going complete and haven't heard back since a November interview. Others got their JS1 invite several weeks after going complete and have been accepted.

i'm in almost the exact same position. I think LS22's is similar as well. I expect that we're functionally being held, if not nominally.

cee cee

Bronze

Post by cee cee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:08 pm

lawschool22 wrote:come off as a real person.
convince them you can taste the food

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 pm

koalacity wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
This, except I didn't wear earbuds and it was fine. And look at the camera! I was incredibly nervous for mine last week, but everyone is right that it's quite relaxed and the interviewers aren't looking to trip you up.
If you minimize the skype window, you can move the tiny preview that stays on top to directly under the camera to help with looking at the camera and the interviewer. It had the added bonus of not making me distracted by my own camera image in the corner. (I know this at least works on Windows with the most recent version of Skype.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 pm

rseaney wrote:
drawstring wrote:Seems not.

I got my JS1 three days after going complete and haven't heard back since a November interview. Others got their JS1 invite several weeks after going complete and have been accepted.

i'm in almost the exact same position. I think LS22's is similar as well. I expect that we're functionally being held, if not nominally.
I'm not sure if we're quite comparable to a "hold" or not, as most people who received holds last year did not get JS1s.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Well if it's any solace, it seems like the last wave included someone who interviewed in late-October and JS1s have recently gone out to October and November submitters. Maybe they'll come back to us soon.

But I'm not sure what to expect because I cannot find too many cases in past-cycles of people having JS1s fairly early but not hearing back at this point. It also seems like JS1s went out later in past cycles (e.g. more people who applied in November-ish got an invite in the new year).

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 pm

drawstring wrote:Well if it's any solace, it seems like the last wave included someone who interviewed in late-October and JS1s have recently gone out to October and November submitters. Maybe they'll come back to us soon.

But I'm not sure what to expect because I cannot find too many cases in past-cycles of people having JS1s fairly early but not hearing back at this point. It also seems like JS1s went out later in past cycles (e.g. more people who applied in November-ish got an invite in the new year).
Don't forget this cycle may be a little different. They extended the deadline, issued the blog post about things taking more time. It's fair to think that they perhaps are being a bit more cautious as the work to fill up the rest of the class.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Shots.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

residentemma

Bronze

Post by residentemma » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Turn your phone on silent, but have it next to you. If Skype cuts out (like it did during my JS1, ugh) they will call you to finish the interview over the phone. I didn't realize this would happen so I missed two of their calls and then when I finally answered I was super flustered and said a bunch of dumb shit and probably sounded like a babbling idiot.

At least it was their internet problem and not mine... :P

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 pm

no pants

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
Shots.
Make sure to offer one to the interviewer too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Recently had a JS1 and had a few subsequent questions:

1) How are the interviews used? If LS22 is correct and memory serves the admit/interview ration is 860/1200. I guess I'm wondering about those 340. Are they just poor interviewers, or is the interview only one part of the admissions evaluation? In other words, does JS want to admit all 1200 and use the interview as a final screening device, or is the interview something that informs the decision? Obviously HLS has a modicum of interest in those that they extend interviews to, I guess I'm just wondering how much interest. I'm sure this has been covered, and maybe we don't even know, but I was just curious.

2) What constitutes a "good" interview? I am in general a pretty sociable/confident person, and am comfortable in interviews. I do know that my JS1 is not viewed in a vacuum though, so I guess I'm wondering what the majority of other interviewers are like? Are most people nervous academic types or agressively sociable frat types? Obviously these are generalizations but I'm just looking for a little info about what the rest of the applicant pool is like w/r/t the interviews.

thanks, and sorry for asking dumb questions.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Recently had a JS1 and had a few subsequent questions:

1) How are the interviews used? If LS22 is correct and memory serves the admit/interview ration is 860/1200. I guess I'm wondering about those 340. Are they just poor interviewers, or is the interview only one part of the admissions evaluation? In other words, does JS want to admit all 1200 and use the interview as a final screening device, or is the interview something that informs the decision? Obviously HLS has a modicum of interest in those that they extend interviews to, I guess I'm just wondering how much interest. I'm sure this has been covered, and maybe we don't even know, but I was just curious.
No one here knows for sure, but the safe bet is that it varies by individual. There are people who, given the strength of their application, will get in unless they bomb the interview. Then there are people who probably aren't getting in, but could if they do really well on the interview. And then everywhere in between.
Pneumonia wrote:2) What constitutes a "good" interview? I am in general a pretty sociable/confident person, and am comfortable in interviews. I do know that my JS1 is not viewed in a vacuum though, so I guess I'm wondering what the majority of other interviewers are like? Are most people nervous academic types or agressively sociable frat types? Obviously these are generalizations but I'm just looking for a little info about what the rest of the applicant pool is like w/r/t the interviews.

I don't think this kind of generalization is helpful at all. As long as you came across like a normal person who can succeed in professional interviews, you succeeded.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 pm

midwest17 wrote:
I don't think this kind of generalization is helpful at all. As long as you came across like a normal person who can succeed in professional interviews, you succeeded.
Thanks this is helpful. I was pleased with my interview, but I didn't have an opportunity to say anything that was particularly memorable or outstanding. I was wondering if they were looking for a "wow" factor, but from your answer competence=success in which case I feel like I succeeded.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:48 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
Thanks this is helpful. I was pleased with my interview, but I didn't have an opportunity to say anything that was particularly memorable or outstanding. I was wondering if they were looking for a "wow" factor, but from your answer competence=success in which case I feel like I succeeded.
Disclaimer: I haven't been admitted yet. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Recently had a JS1 and had a few subsequent questions:

2) What constitutes a "good" interview? I am in general a pretty sociable/confident person, and am comfortable in interviews. I do know that my JS1 is not viewed in a vacuum though, so I guess I'm wondering what the majority of other interviewers are like? Are most people nervous academic types or agressively sociable frat types? Obviously these are generalizations but I'm just looking for a little info about what the rest of the applicant pool is like w/r/t the interviews.

I don't think they're "dumb" questions. I worried about the same things post-JS1, especially for the two or three days directly after. You can't help but overanalyze. As for your questions:

1) The interviews are one part of the comprehensive evaluation. JS said herself that she has 1,200+ phenomenal candidates for HLS, but only so many spots available. How much the interview will factor into your evaluation depends on the individual. Some people are likely auto-admits and the interview is pretty much a formality, for all intents and purposes.

I think the majority of the approximately 340 not given a JS2 are borderline candidates who JS gave a shot to but didn't make the cut. This does not necessarily mean that they did "bad" in the interview or did something wrong. It just might mean that they did great in the interview, but compared to the group as a whole, some quality they had held them back. The interview shouldn't be seen as a "you must do well in this or else" kind of thing. I'd say it's more of an extra tool for JS to use, kind of like a live personal statement or something. Just like your PS, if you do something really terrible, it could almost singlehandedly ruin your chances. But I'm guessing for most candidates, it's just another source of info that JS can ultimately use, and slight hiccups or errors or whatever won't make or break you.

2) I don't think there's a stereotype that could fit the majority of JS1 invitees (other than maybe intelligent). But I will say this: I doubt a lot of those interviewed are "nervous academic types." We've all been through four years of college and most of us have had some work experience, even if only just internships or something. Most JS1 candidates have had many interviews. So we're dealing with a bright, well-spoken group of people.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks, that makes sense.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

MrMileyCyrus wrote:
2) I don't think there's a stereotype that could fit the majority of JS1 invitees (other than maybe intelligent). But I will say this: I doubt a lot of those interviewed are "nervous academic types." We've all been through four years of college and most of us have had some work experience, even if only just internships or something. Most JS1 candidates have had many interviews. So we're dealing with a bright, well-spoken group of people.
For my sake I hope not :(

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:25 am

scoobers wrote:
MrMileyCyrus wrote:
For my sake I hope not :(
ditto. man did i come off like a dolt on my interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”