UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
havermayer

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby havermayer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Well this thread blew up haha. Checking in since it's been over a month since I've heard anything from them. Starting to get worried. :(

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm

df
Last edited by Manteca on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtinesung

Postby xtinesung » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:08 pm

havermayer wrote:Well this thread blew up haha. Checking in since it's been over a month since I've heard anything from them. Starting to get worried. :(

I think its not uncommon to wait almost 2 months for a decision from UC Hastings. Looking at LSN, some people waited for nearly 3 months. Don't be worried! Good luck :D

xtinesung

Postby xtinesung » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:10 pm

I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, and have still been debating an LOCI, since the email with the waitlist stated this:

"Because we have a large number of applications to review, we kindly request that you do not call or email the Admissions Office regarding the waitlist."

I know people have still been submitting them, but I dont want it to hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist by being annoying :| HELPPP!

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

xtinesung wrote:I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, and have still been debating an LOCI, since the email with the waitlist stated this:

"Because we have a large number of applications to review, we kindly request that you do not call or email the Admissions Office regarding the waitlist."

I know people have still been submitting them, but I dont want it to hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist by being annoying :| HELPPP!

If it helps, I was waitlisted and did not send a LOCI because the instructions said not to. Then, sometime around May the admissions office reached out and said they were accepting LOCIs, and I sent one in then. I was accepted about 2 weeks after that.

This was the 2010-11 admissions cycled (I'm class of '14), so it's possible things have changed. I also don't have the counterfactual (i.e. I can't go back and send a LOCI before they asked and see what happens), so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience, for what it's worth.

xtinesung

Postby xtinesung » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:33 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
xtinesung wrote:I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, and have still been debating an LOCI, since the email with the waitlist stated this:

If it helps, I was waitlisted and did not send a LOCI because the instructions said not to. Then, sometime around May the admissions office reached out and said they were accepting LOCIs, and I sent one in then. I was accepted about 2 weeks after that.

This was the 2010-11 admissions cycled (I'm class of '14), so it's possible things have changed. I also don't have the counterfactual (i.e. I can't go back and send a LOCI before they asked and see what happens), so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience, for what it's worth.

Thanks so much! This is a huge help, especially coming from someone who has gone through the UC Hastings waitlist process. Congrats on almost finishing law school btw!

scottiescruff

Postby scottiescruff » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Just got the initial 13K scholarship e-mail. Should I attempt to negotiate or wait to see if I'm given any additional money?

Has anyone tried contacting them about more money yet? If so, were you successful?

komoro

Postby komoro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 pm

in today :)

caligirl8

Postby caligirl8 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Checking in. Was accepted last month via e-mail followed with a phone call later in the week.

Just wondering, has anyone received notification of their financial aid package yet? Or when should we be expecting the information? I submitted my FAFSA and Need Access by the priority deadline as well. Thanks!

scottiescruff

Postby scottiescruff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:24 pm

caligirl8 wrote:Checking in. Was accepted last month via e-mail followed with a phone call later in the week.

Just wondering, has anyone received notification of their financial aid package yet? Or when should we be expecting the information? I submitted my FAFSA and Need Access by the priority deadline as well. Thanks!

I just received scholarship information about a week after I submitted my Need Access. I haven't received any financial aid information yet. I'm assuming that will be released in April. Has anyone else received anything?

havermayer

Postby havermayer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Just got waitlisted. So disappointed. Does anyone know if Hastings gets a lot of movement off the WL? It's one of my top choices and I'm willing to wait it out until the end.

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

havermayer wrote:Just got waitlisted. So disappointed. Does anyone know if Hastings gets a lot of movement off the WL? It's one of my top choices and I'm willing to wait it out until the end.

I would think they do. I went to their admitted student day. They offer a lot of $13k grants based on need-aid, but for merit they said they only offer about $5k. So you can get awards up to $18k. I think being a public school, they're still working with a weaker economy, on-top of trying to reduce their class size by about 100 students. I like the school, it makes a lot of sense to me, it still has solid regional recognition, and, despite the reputation of the Tenderloin, I like its location. However, a lot of students may opt for a school that can offer them more, and I'm sure many people aren't as fond of its location as I am.

I'd expect a decent amount of movement off the waitlist. At least on par with most other schools. Of course, they probably have a fairly long waitlist.

havermayer

Postby havermayer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:
havermayer wrote:Just got waitlisted. So disappointed. Does anyone know if Hastings gets a lot of movement off the WL? It's one of my top choices and I'm willing to wait it out until the end.

I would think they do. I went to their admitted student day. They offer a lot of $13k grants based on need-aid, but for merit they said they only offer about $5k. So you can get awards up to $18k. I think being a public school, they're still working with a weaker economy, on-top of trying to reduce their class size by about 100 students. I like the school, it makes a lot of sense to me, it still has solid regional recognition, and, despite the reputation of the Tenderloin, I like its location. However, a lot of students may opt for a school that can offer them more, and I'm sure many people aren't as fond of its location as I am.

I'd expect a decent amount of movement off the waitlist. At least on par with most other schools. Of course, they probably have a fairly long waitlist.

All positive signs. I can only hope for the best. Though the location is not the best, I've lived in SF for almost 10 years now and have settled here so being in the TL doesn't bother me as much as others. Guess I'll have to buck up and wait!

caligirl8

Postby caligirl8 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 pm

scottiescruff wrote:
caligirl8 wrote:Checking in. Was accepted last month via e-mail followed with a phone call later in the week.

I just received scholarship information about a week after I submitted my Need Access. I haven't received any financial aid information yet. I'm assuming that will be released in April. Has anyone else received anything?

I attended the Admitted Students Day this past weekend and asked them at the financial aid seminar. I was told to not expect it for a month or so and that they will be offering loans for whatever a scholarship does not cover.

So basically....
COA - Scholarship $ = Loan $

Finnick

Postby Finnick » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Still waitlisted as well. I wonder if they would care if I got accepted by higher ranked schools...kind of like how we can negotiate scholarship offers with similar/higher ranked school's offers?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Anyone know if they will be making any scholarship increase moves? Sitting at 18k as well. Anyone get the Dean's Scholarship?

shakeitlikea

Postby shakeitlikea » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Seriously dumb question.......

If I do decide to submit a LOCI, who would I email it to? Deans? Same email address that wait listed me?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:42 pm

shakeitlikea wrote:Seriously dumb question.......

If I do decide to submit a LOCI, who would I email it to? Deans? Same email address that wait listed me?

I would say admissions and maybe the Dean if thats where the waitlist email came from.

scottiescruff

Postby scottiescruff » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:49 am

I received the extra 5k scholarship, but it looks like some of them can go up to 10k. When I asked in the UC Hastings Students forum, it looked like 18k is the maximum before your 1L year.

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to negotiate up to the 10k mark...

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 am

scottiescruff wrote:I received the extra 5k scholarship, but it looks like some of them can go up to 10k. When I asked in the UC Hastings Students forum, it looked like 18k is the maximum before your 1L year.

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to negotiate up to the 10k mark...

5k is the max merit based scholarship. People who received 18k also received the 13k need-based scholarship. Need-based + Merit = 18k

Or at least that was my understanding at the admitted students day.

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:5k is the max merit based scholarship. People who received 18k also received the 13k need-based scholarship. Need-based + Merit = 18k

I also attended the ASD and at the fin aid seminar I went to (early) the word was that the 13k is need based across the board. Most people who got additional merit aid got between 5-7k (mostly 5k).
If you look at their disclosures, though, you can see that they have offered some financial aid packages greater than 50% of tuition in the past. No reason to think that this is not ongoing for the more competitive applicants. No reason for the school to advertise it, either.

xtinesung

Scholarship Negotiations

Postby xtinesung » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 am

**This is not for Hastings, but for schools in general.

I am in the process of negotiating scholarships. And am wondering if you only send the scholarship offers (as attachments in your email as proof of other offers) from schools that you HAVENT withdrawn from? My highest offers are from schools I already withdrew from, but I feel like its misleading to send these offers along with others.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:11 am

Dingo Starr wrote:
Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:5k is the max merit based scholarship. People who received 18k also received the 13k need-based scholarship. Need-based + Merit = 18k

I also attended the ASD and at the fin aid seminar I went to (early) the word was that the 13k is need based across the board. Most people who got additional merit aid got between 5-7k (mostly 5k).
If you look at their disclosures, though, you can see that they have offered some financial aid packages greater than 50% of tuition in the past. No reason to think that this is not ongoing for the more competitive applicants. No reason for the school to advertise it, either.

So they only offered 5K out of the 10K max on the website for those scholarships? Anyone get the 10K in addition to 13K?

sumz

Postby sumz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 am

I was Waitlisted about a month ago as well. Based on the email they sent out in regards to the Waitlist, submitting a LOCI right now may hurt your chances because they explicitlysaid not to send additional information. Some people who were previously Waitlisted in years past were contacted again by the admissions office asking for a LOCI later into the summer.

I'm going to hold out for that email or something indicating they would like additional information. After waiting on the LSAT and an admission decisions(I applied October 15), I'm just gonna ride out round three of the waiting game on the Waitlist.

Best of luck to everyone.

slimjims27

Postby slimjims27 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Anybody down for a meet up at the April 2nd ASW? If so, PM me.

I'd like to get to know potential classmates as well as scout for roommates (folks interested in tower living/surrounding areas).

For all you waiting on decisions: don't give up hope! Silence is not necessarily a bad thing; they might be giving your application a more thoughtful read.
Last edited by slimjims27 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”