UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Moonlight

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:35 pm

calmenda wrote:My thoughts exactly. It does not surprise me that a test prep company would encourage people to retake (and pay for more test prep while they are at it). While I had the same score while taking it twice I have friends that improved but not by much. I had one friend who actually received a lower score the second time around. This is all anecdotal. To each their own but taking it twice was enough for me.

Exactly!

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm

calmenda wrote:Also, the "head in the sand" comment is a bit over the top for this type of forum.

This from the guy who didn't know about the potential impact to PAYE/PSLF.
You're right. It is impossible to find "over the top" statements on TLS and what I wrote was wildly inappropriate.

Even though it likely won't pass, in this form, the fact that Obama's administration is introducing it as a bargaining chip is alarming. There is no reason these changes couldn't pass, in some form, now or in the next X amount of years and apply retroactively.
If you don't think this is a reason for concern, my apologies for disturbing you. Have a nice day.

tom_thumb

Postby tom_thumb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
tom_thumb wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:
tom_thumb wrote:anyone get the need access form acknowldegment email before getting a decision?

I didn't, but they told me to apply for it before I received a decision. I wouldn't imagine that this has any bearing.

bearing on...?

Your admission decision.

ya that's what I thought but the language in it is weird to me

"The UC Hastings Admissions Office will send you an email with details about your financial aid determination once the data from your Need Access Form has been evaluated."

i feel like its missing the contingency "if you are accepted, Hastings will..."

or i'm just neurotically reading into this

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm

I have a fee waiver and a lot of free time (can't say the same thing about the last time I took the test). I dont see any risk retaking. even if i score the same, at least i tried. If I go up 2 points, that'll be awesome.
So far I've only gotten into Hastings. I wouldn't even have considered Hastings without the LEOP. Getting free extra help could actually improve my grades and my chances of getting a job. Even then, with 13k (which is not really going to make a huge difference) I don't think Hastings is worth the price. The job prospects are sad. As much as I like San Francisco and think the school would be great, 200k and 50% chance of getting a job don't seem like a good gamble.

havermayer

Postby havermayer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:10 pm

mac35352 wrote:I have a fee waiver and a lot of free time (can't say the same thing about the last time I took the test). I dont see any risk retaking. even if i score the same, at least i tried. If I go up 2 points, that'll be awesome.
So far I've only gotten into Hastings. I wouldn't even have considered Hastings without the LEOP. Getting free extra help could actually improve my grades and my chances of getting a job. Even then, with 13k (which is not really going to make a huge difference) I don't think Hastings is worth the price. The job prospects are sad. As much as I like San Francisco and think the school would be great, 200k and 50% chance of getting a job don't seem like a good gamble.

I'd say only re-take if you feel confident you can totally dedicate yourself to nothing else but the test. I know alot of retakers, myself included, that didn't feel it was worth it. I also know a few people who scored 1-2 points lower than their first score. So, don't discount that as a possibility either. There are so many things that can affect you on test day, so I would just caution you to honestly evaluate whether or not you think you'd be able to make a significant gain.

ohhdear

Postby ohhdear » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 pm

tom_thumb wrote:anyone get the need access form acknowldegment email before getting a decision?

Yeah, I did.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm

havermayer wrote:
mac35352 wrote:I have a fee waiver and a lot of free time (can't say the same thing about the last time I took the test). I dont see any risk retaking. even if i score the same, at least i tried. If I go up 2 points, that'll be awesome.

I'd say only re-take if you feel confident you can totally dedicate yourself to nothing else but the test. I know alot of retakers, myself included, that didn't feel it was worth it. I also know a few people who scored 1-2 points lower than their first score. So, don't discount that as a possibility either. There are so many things that can affect you on test day, so I would just caution you to honestly evaluate whether or not you think you'd be able to make a significant gain.

I have 4.5 days off a week. The test is free and I'll invest a couple hundred $ in PTs. Even if I score lower, most school only take the highest score into consideration. Retake or not I do think I'm reapplying next cycle. We will see!

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

me too.
didn't do it until accepted, though.
also was recommended to submit need access along with application to speed things up.

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:23 pm

mac35352 wrote:I have 4.5 days off a week. The test is free and I'll invest a couple hundred $ in PTs. Even if I score lower, most school only take the highest score into consideration. Retake or not I do think I'm reapplying next cycle. We will see!

I'll make you a good deal on ALL the BluePrint books and a bunch of PTs.
LMK.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Didn't get either email. I emailed them asking about it and got no response. I think I see a huge RETAKE sign in my future. LoL

You should seek out people who retook in real life. Most haven't done well. TLS is a very different sample of people.

Define well?

"From a scoring standpoint, test takers who repeat the LSAT increase their scores by an average of 2.8 points the second time they take the test, and increase by another 2.1 points the third time they take the test (as compared to the second time). While those are only averages, they suggest that sitting for the LSAT again is likely to bump up your score..."

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lsat-repeater-statistics.cfm

Powerscore is a LSAT prep company. What do you expect them to say? Also 2 points is within the Standard Deviation range.

A minimal increase in score (even one point) can have a positive impact on your cycle. It seems that on average, most retakers are likely to see an increase. That is why I was wondering what you meant by "most haven't done well."

Data from:
http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/data-(lsac-resources)-docs/repeaterdata.pdf

havermayer

Postby havermayer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 pm

mac35352 wrote:
havermayer wrote:

I have 4.5 days off a week. The test is free and I'll invest a couple hundred $ in PTs. Even if I score lower, most school only take the highest score into consideration. Retake or not I do think I'm reapplying next cycle. We will see!

That sounds like a plan. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm

mac35352 wrote:
havermayer wrote:

If you study correctly (see LSAT prep forum), you WILL increase. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck!

The graph above is useless, as most people don't use TLS methods to study. You're lucky; you have that opportunity.

calmenda

Postby calmenda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Even though I said my score didn't increase I would definitely encourage you to retake if you have the time. No reason not to if time and money aren't an impediment.

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Am l the only one that didn't get an email with my username/pw to log on to the application status checker? : o

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Newb2law wrote:Am l the only one that didn't get an email with my username/pw to log on to the application status checker? : o

There's no checker

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Newb2law wrote:Am l the only one that didn't get an email with my username/pw to log on to the application status checker? : o

No. This has been addressed several times in this thread; Hastings isn't doing a status checker this year.

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Thank you! I tried looking through the thread but couldn't find anything... then l got side tracked with all the talk of the need access form and their medians dropping... Thanks!

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Didn't get either email. I emailed them asking about it and got no response. I think I see a huge RETAKE sign in my future. LoL

You should seek out people who retook in real life. Most haven't done well. TLS is a very different sample of people.

Define well?

"From a scoring standpoint, test takers who repeat the LSAT increase their scores by an average of 2.8 points the second time they take the test, and increase by another 2.1 points the third time they take the test (as compared to the second time). While those are only averages, they suggest that sitting for the LSAT again is likely to bump up your score..."

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lsat-repeater-statistics.cfm

Powerscore is a LSAT prep company. What do you expect them to say? Also 2 points is within the Standard Deviation range.

A minimal increase in score (even one point) can have a positive impact on your cycle. It seems that on average, most retakers are likely to see an increase. That is why I was wondering what you meant by "most haven't done well."

Data from:
http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/data-(lsac-resources)-docs/repeaterdata.pdf[/quote]

Keep in mind how many people retook and then that percentage is if how many did better amongst that group. Plus like an earlier poster said it could stay the same or go down and is it worth it to wait a year for those 2 points? And especially with it bein within the standard deviation range as we all know from our own scores. Plus seeing Berkeley applicants get buthered with 175+ LSAT scores with 3.75+ GPA was not incentive for me to pursue a year off and then face rejection in almost certainty

scottiescruff

Postby scottiescruff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm

In via e-mail :D

underwear

Postby underwear » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 pm

scottiescruff wrote:In via e-mail :D

numbers?

ohhdear

Postby ohhdear » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Congrats!

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Congrats!! Welcome aboard!

amja107

Postby amja107 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am

ME!

But I applied for LEOP , maybe thats slowing things down even more. How long have you been complete?

tom_thumb

Postby tom_thumb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

since 2/4. what about you

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Just told Hastings no. Hope the spot goes to one of you. Cheers

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”