UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManoftheHour

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:Does anyone know when Hastings typically start admitting off their waiting list?

"We anticipate having the opportunity to select candidates from the waitlist as early as the second half of April."

Did you get YPed too?

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Moonlight wrote:
How high are your guys stats to get YP'd?

3.6/167.

Blows, because if given enough $$$, I really would have considered attending. Their scholarships don't come with sTTTTips like a lot of the other non-UCLA/USC/Cal/Stanford CA law schools. I'm not exactly sure what their strategy is because their median LSAT score dropped by a whopping 3 points last year. They must not like high LSAT scores or something.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:45 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
How high are your guys stats to get YP'd?

3.6/167.

Blows, because if given enough $$$, I really would have considered attending. Their scholarships don't come with sTTTTips like a lot of the other non-UCLA/USC/Cal/Stanford CA law schools. I'm not exactly sure what their strategy is because their median LSAT score dropped by a whopping 3 points last year. They must not like high LSAT scores or something.

Aren't their scholarships almost entirely need-based though? I know from LSN they give out money, but it seems to be pretty random.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Content Deleted

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Cal Trask wrote:Aren't their scholarships almost entirely need-based though? I know from LSN they give out money, but it seems to be pretty random.

Hm, you're right. But need based? That would be quite odd as I am assuming most of us are in the same financial situation. Most of us are independent 20 something year olds that without scholarship, will be taking out loans to cover the cost.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:Aren't their scholarships almost entirely need-based though? I know from LSN they give out money, but it seems to be pretty random.

Hm, you're right. But need based? That would be quite odd as I am assuming most of us are in the same financial situation. Most of us are independent 20 something year olds that without scholarship, will be taking out loans to cover the cost.

True, but independent doesn't necessarily mean equal.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Moonlight wrote:
But I haven't looked into their stips, but that sounds promising. What kind of stips usually come with a Hastings scholly?

They are need based and some are need based and merit hybrids but the Dean said they don't do pure merit. Not sure if that's true but that's what he said at a law school fair.

Hastings traditionally have no dumb stips, as long as you're not on academic probation.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

True, but independent doesn't necessarily mean equal.

I guess every school is different. Notre Dame has a section for need based aid but the need based wouldn't apply to you if you are able to take out loans to cover costs.

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

My thoughts as well. What is the typical need or need/merit amount they give out to someone with solid stats? I know that is probably a pretty vague question but what is the range I could possibly expect?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Also, for those who are (presumably) YPed and still want to attend Hastings, don't lose hope. Last year, I was WLed at UC Davis and at the very end, they accepted me and offered me 20k a year.

Moonlight wrote:Nice, I have a lower LSAT but my GPA is higher than yours. I think they've really emphasized the GPA stats over the LSAT, not sure why but I like the idea because I think GPA shows 4 years of work versus 1 day or 2 day's worth of performance. A lot of prep goes into the LSAT but a one day test is still kind of scary to evaluate an entire person. Just my 2 cents.

Even if that's true (which I do believe it's true because CA schools are very GPA whorish), it's not like I have a TTT GPA. Still well above median. Still, congrats. Hope they throw $$$ in your way. SF is a great place to be.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Jamesta25 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

My thoughts as well. What is the typical need or need/merit amount they give out to someone with solid stats? I know that is probably a pretty vague question but what is the range I could possibly expect?

http://hastings.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1213

Filter by $$$, it varies pretty widely though from the look of it.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Cal Trask wrote:

This is random as f@#$.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Content Deleted

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Content Deleted

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:

This is random as f@#$.

Yeah, there isn't much rhyme or reason to it, so I gonna assume it's based more on need than merit.

bobloblaw0227

Postby bobloblaw0227 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Although I got the acceptance email last week, I just got a call from an admissions officer congratulating me on entry and letting me know he was available to answer questions as needed. He also complemented my personal statement, which was a nice touch. He answered a couple of the questions I had regarding scholarships as well as Admitted Student Days. For those concerned, I told him I was waiting until I received my W-2 to file my taxes and do my FAFSA/NA at the same time, which he said was fine. Also, ASD will be on 3/22 and 4/5 for those of you wanting to get a head start on planning. That was pretty much the extent of the conversation. It was great to hear from someone, and my perception of Hastings as an impersonal Soviet ministry has definitely improved.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 pm

They actually called me the day after I got the email and opened by asking how I like the state I'm currently living in. I've since called and asked a couple other questions and so far my experiences with them have been very pleasant.

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm

bobloblaw0227 wrote:Although I got the acceptance email last week, I just got a call from an admissions officer congratulating me on entry and letting me know he was available to answer questions as needed. He also complemented my personal statement, which was a nice touch. He answered a couple of the questions I had regarding scholarships as well as Admitted Student Days.

I was called as well but was awkwardly congratulated and then was just given a reminder to apply to financial aid. Kinda bummed I didn't get the same personal touch others did, oh well.

Has anyone received their welcome packet yet?

EDIT: Also, any relevant information to share about scholarships that you found out?
Last edited by Jamesta25 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm

What do you guys think of some of the harsh talk about Hastings on this message board? I have a friend who just graduated who loved his experience and has a great legal job through an internship he found through Hastings. I also have a friend who is a 1L and chose Hastings over some much higher ranked schools due to its strong reputation in the public sector in the SF Bay Area. I know the reputation is strong among SF law firms, due to its history and strong alumni network.

Another thing I'm considering is that recent graduates came out during the height of the recession and our employment prospects and the legal market could look extremely different in 3.5 years. I've also read a lot of how many professional Baby Boomers are set to retire and that opportunities for our generation should be greater than those of Generation X.

I desperately want to live and work in the Bay Area so this is a major option for me. I'm curious as to what others considering UCH think of the negativity and why you may or may not still be considering attending.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Jamesta25 wrote:What do you guys think of some of the harsh talk about Hastings on this message board? I have a friend who just graduated who loved his experience and has a great legal job through an internship he found through Hastings. I also have a friend who is a 1L and chose Hastings over some much higher ranked schools due to its strong reputation in the public sector in the SF Bay Area. I know the reputation is strong among SF law firms, due to its history and strong alumni network.

Another thing I'm considering is that recent graduates came out during the height of the recession and our employment prospects and the legal market could look extremely different in 3.5 years. I've also read a lot of how many professional Baby Boomers are set to retire and that opportunities for our generation should be greater than those of Generation X.

I desperately want to live and work in the Bay Area so this is a major option for me. I'm curious as to what others considering UCH think of the negativity and why you may or may not still be considering attending.

From what I understand, a lot of the negativity comes from the cost, relatively diminished prospects at big law jobs, and the inherent risk of attending a school in California. Hastings is not an inexpensive school and its cost of attendance is only going to rise. California, particularly the Bay Area, tends to be overwhelmed with law school graduates (there are way too many law schools in CA), leading to intense competition for the few large firm jobs available. Too many people enter into law school with the mistaken belief that they're going to be able to secure one of these jobs, even at better-ranked, better-employing schools. Doing so in San Francisco where you're going to pay more in rent than Manhattan is a daunting prospect.

The public interest route is a bit of a different option, but there's still no guarantee that you're going to snag an LRAP-elligible PSLF job after graduation--those positions are just as hard to land these days as a big firm gig. Granted, Hastings has a pretty decent LRAP (no requirement for the position to be JD-only, from my understanding), but in that case, depending on what type of PI you're shooting for, school ranking is less important than other factors. PD/DA offices don't seem to particularly give a damn about which school you went to or the grades you get there, only whether you can do the job. With less than half of recent graduates reporting full-time legal employment, it's hard for many to reconcile these costs with the comparably meager rewards.

Hinging $200k on the prospect that some people may be retiring is a bad move. You need to know what you're planning on doing and whether the school itself is going to offer substantial prospects for that plan to succeed to offset that gamble.

Myself, I'm planning on PI work, so the increased clinical opportunities, LRAP program, and location of the school are tempting. While looking at money elsewhere, the increased opportunities that these would provide may be sufficient to take an increased debt load. I have yet to make up my mind, however.

ETA: This isn't meant to be a rant against Hastings, or necessarily any CA school for that matter. When it comes down to it, law school is a serious investment, and the vast majority of schools are difficult to justify.

Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Just received my acceptance email! Applied 12/2. Below the median LSAT but above the median GPA for any worrisome splitters out there.

It's another $30 to apply for Need Access to be considered for scholarships? I applied to 11 CA schools and this is the only school requiring Need Access... anyone know why they want this and FAFSA?

AndiDail

Postby AndiDail » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Just got my acceptance e-mail. :) Submitted in mid-November, and already heard from 6 other schools, so it's great to finally have heard from a Cali school!

I'm still waiting on a few tax documents, but I'll be submitting both the FAFSA and the Need Access forms sometime next week.

So many decisions to make...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”