UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cal Trask

Gold

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Post by Cal Trask » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Congrats!! Welcome to the potential Sharks family! :)

And yea let's all keep each other posted. It'd be cool if we all end up meeting up at some point in the near future.
Sharks is the mascot? Why does Hastings need a mascot if it's just a law school with no sports teams...?
We're never going to win any championships with that mentality, I'll tell you what.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Last year when I got my letter, it distinguished between Hastings Grants, and the Olivier Merit Scholarship (the merit scholarship mentioned on the UCH website.) Hastings Grants are the need-based portion of your aid. Check your letters again to see if that distinction is made.

Also, on the mascot thing- we only technically have a mascot. The administration isn't a big fan of the mascot, and I've never really heard anyone refer to us as the Sharks.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Congrats!! Welcome to the potential Sharks family! :)

And yea let's all keep each other posted. It'd be cool if we all end up meeting up at some point in the near future.
Sharks is the mascot? Why does Hastings need a mascot if it's just a law school with no sports teams...?
We're never going to win any championships with that mentality, I'll tell you what.
+100

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:49 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Last year when I got my letter, it distinguished between Hastings Grants, and the Olivier Merit Scholarship (the merit scholarship mentioned on the UCH website.) Hastings Grants are the need-based portion of your aid. Check your letters again to see if that distinction is made.

Also, on the mascot thing- we only technically have a mascot. The administration isn't a big fan of the mascot, and I've never really heard anyone refer to us as the Sharks.
Do you know why the administration doesn't like the mascot?

Btw where does it say that its our official mascot?

bkegslounge

Bronze

Post by bkegslounge » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:56 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Last year when I got my letter, it distinguished between Hastings Grants, and the Olivier Merit Scholarship (the merit scholarship mentioned on the UCH website.) Hastings Grants are the need-based portion of your aid. Check your letters again to see if that distinction is made.

"Congratulations once again on your acceptance to UC Hastings. It gives me great pleasure to inform you that you have been chosen to receive a renewable $13,000 UC Hastings Scholarship. This award is being given to you based on a variety of factors including financial need, your academic and professional accomplishments, and your potential to contribute to the UC Hastings community and the legal profession. The scholarship is renewable for up to six semesters provided you maintain satisfactory academic progress (which at UC Hastings is defined as at least a 2.20 cumulative grade point average) and continue to qualify for federal aid.* The total value of this scholarship during your three years at UC Hastings law is $39,000."

Is this the same as what everyone else received? Doesn't sound like there's any distinction made between need-based and merit-based.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cal Trask

Gold

Post by Cal Trask » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
Is this the same as what everyone else received? Doesn't sound like there's any distinction made between need-based and merit-based.
Yessir.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 pm

bkegslounge wrote:

"Congratulations once again on your acceptance to UC Hastings. It gives me great pleasure to inform you that you have been chosen to receive a renewable $13,000 UC Hastings Scholarship. This award is being given to you based on a variety of factors including financial need, your academic and professional accomplishments, and your potential to contribute to the UC Hastings community and the legal profession. The scholarship is renewable for up to six semesters provided you maintain satisfactory academic progress (which at UC Hastings is defined as at least a 2.20 cumulative grade point average) and continue to qualify for federal aid.* The total value of this scholarship during your three years at UC Hastings law is $39,000."

Looks like they went with more confusing language this year. My guess is that you're just receiving Hastings grants, given the prominence of financial need in that sentence. If you call financial aid, they may be able to tell you what the breakdown between Hastings Grants and merit aid is.

bkegslounge

Bronze

Post by bkegslounge » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:52 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

Looks like they went with more confusing language this year. My guess is that you're just receiving Hastings grants, given the prominence of financial need in that sentence. If you call financial aid, they may be able to tell you what the breakdown between Hastings Grants and merit aid is.
But you think that's all they are offering though? Or more might be coming later like Moonlight said?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:52 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

But you think that's all they are offering though? Or more might be coming later like Moonlight said?
You may want to ask this in the Hastings Students Taking Questions thread. I only got a single offer letter. However, my retake was the February LSAT, so I didn't apply until March 1. My scholarship/aid letter came separate from my acceptance, which doesn't appear to have happened to you all. I wish I could be more helpful, but I really don't know your answer here. Your best bet is to call either Admissions or Financial Aid and ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:16 pm

In as of Friday! Submitted 12/17

Now to fill out the Need form thing!

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

krispymenudo wrote:In as of Friday! Submitted 12/17

Now to fill out the Need form thing!
Congrats!!! Is Hastings a top choice for you? Who else is in your consideration?

(Btw I will literally keep asking people this because I'm curious of other people's selection as I try to make my own)

Jamesta25

New

Post by Jamesta25 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

Has anyone called to clarify whether there might be more aid coming our way?

xtinesung

New

Post by xtinesung » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Waitlisted via email. Not surprised cause of my low gpa (3.07), do you guys know of any experiences with the waitlist (i.e. how late the decision might be or when to send an LOCI)? Any info would be much appreciated!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:23 pm

checking in.
Got WL this morning via email as well.

im obviously not as great as alot of you guys on this forum in terms of LSAT and GPA..so please do not tell me anything along the lines of don't go to either. but a friend just told me if she were given the choice between Loyola (LA) and Hastings she would go with Loyola. i just like to know the pros and consso i can make a decision when the time comes. i just want other's thoughts on this. Thanks.

i live in LA. so in terms of location, i would be able to commute for Loyola. and would be spending more if i were to pick Hastings. however, Hastings is ranked much higher.

BlackCanary

Bronze

Post by BlackCanary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm

eliztudorr wrote:checking in.

im obviously not as great as alot of you guys on this forum in terms of LSAT and GPA..so please do not tell me anything along the lines of don't go to either. but a friend just told me if she were given the choice between Loyola (LA) and Hastings she would go with Loyola. i just like to know the pros and consso i can make a decision when the time comes. i just want other's thoughts on this. Thanks.

i live in LA. so in terms of location, i would be able to commute for Loyola. and would be spending more if i were to pick Hastings. however, Hastings is ranked much higher.
Just curious...what was your friend's reasoning?

I think it depends on where you want to practice. If your target market is LA, go for Loyola; if you're aiming for the bay area, definitely Hastings.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

I dreamt last night that I got a letter from Hastings. It contained a limited time offer for tuition locked in at 22,210 per year.
Even in my dream, I knew it was too good to be true. I awoke disappointed, both because it was only a dream and because I was so excited over something that could never happen.

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

BlackCanary wrote:

Just curious...what was your friend's reasoning?

I think it depends on where you want to practice. If your target market is LA, go for Loyola; if you're aiming for the bay area, definitely Hastings.
her reasoning was, "reputation." which prob make sense because she grew up in east coast and now practice in LA. so prob never even heard of SF's Hastings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

underwear

New

Post by underwear » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Pretty much on the same boat. Haven't heard back from either, but will be on the fence if I get in. Went to undergrad in the same area so I do know the place pretty well, but Hastings is ranked higher. What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? I'm getting worried that I haven't heard back from either :?

BlackCanary

Bronze

Post by BlackCanary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm

eliztudorr wrote:her reasoning was, "reputation." which prob make sense because she grew up in east coast and now practice in LA. so prob never even heard of SF's Hastings.
I tend to agree, but only if you want to practice in LA. I highly doubt Loyola is as highly regarded in the Bay Area as it is in LA.

So basically, Loyola is the better option (IMO) if you want to practice in LA. If you want the Bay Area (/other non-LA markets), Hastings is the way to go.

Quite honestly though... see what feels right and don't over think it.

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:17 pm

BlackCanary wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:her reasoning was, "reputation." which prob make sense because she grew up in east coast and now practice in LA. so prob never even heard of SF's Hastings.
I tend to agree, but only if you want to practice in LA. I highly doubt Loyola is as highly regarded in the Bay Area as it is in LA.

So basically, Loyola is the better option (IMO) if you want to practice in LA. If you want the Bay Area (/other non-LA markets), Hastings is the way to go.

Quite honestly though... see what feels right and don't over think it.
thank you so much :D

do you know if they take LOCI? for some reason Hastings keep saying "Because we have a large number of applications to review, we kindly request that you do not call or email the Admissions Office regarding [anything]..."

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

underwear wrote:

Pretty much on the same boat. Haven't heard back from either, but will be on the fence if I get in. Went to undergrad in the same area so I do know the place pretty well, but Hastings is ranked higher. What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? I'm getting worried that I haven't heard back from either :?
Outside the T-14, rankings don't mean squat. Between the two, Loyola for LA and Hastings for SF.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm

You could try sending it in as an update through the LSAC, if you don't want to risk disturbing the Hastings staff.

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:You could try sending it in as an update through the LSAC, if you don't want to risk disturbing the Hastings staff.
thank you :D

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Outside the T-14, rankings don't mean squat. Between the two, Loyola for LA and Hastings for SF.
thank you for your input. i read about your story, congratz on waiting it out for 1 year for even a better cycle.
Last edited by eliztudorr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackCanary

Bronze

Post by BlackCanary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
thank you so much :D

do you know if they take LOCI? for some reason Hastings keep saying "Because we have a large number of applications to review, we kindly request that you do not call or email the Admissions Office regarding [anything]..."
I would be hesitant, but I think a LOCI is ok. I'm sure they just don't want questions regarding application statuses and decisions.

and I would email it to them, you want to make sure they're aware that they're receiving a LOCI after you were waitlisted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”