UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorCalLaw

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Post by NorCalLaw » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 am

scottiescruff wrote:
NorCalLaw wrote:Hey incoming 1Ls and potential 1Ls, Hastings 2L here. If you have any questions about the school or just want to get in contact with someone who presently attends, go ahead and PM me. I'm not promoting the school by any means, but I am happy to help people out.

As a preliminary bit of info, the school is going to be pretty starved for qualified applicants this year, so expect the waitlist to cycle through and negotiate with the understanding that the school needs you more than you need it!
When does the loan refund show up in your account? I heard the Friday before classes. Does that affect your book/supply purchases, or did you find that you had enough time to get everything squared away?

How is 1L orientation? Daunting? Semi-fun?
If I recall correctly, the loan disbursements come out a week or two before class starts. You should maintain enough money to purchase materials and otherwise not starve in the meantime. I never had a problem with it.

1L orientation is fun, or it was when I entered. At some point they have some of the lesser deans give terrible speeches to the incoming class. One of them attempted to talk about how being a professor means that one must profess and some other nonsense in his best impression of a learned, venerable speaker. Then everyone goes out later for drinks. Some other stuff happens too, but it's probably not important.

The cool thing about the start of law school is that you'll meet friends that you keep for life, or at least for a few years. I suggest getting in with a studious/serious group of people. There are always opportunities to go out and have fun, but having a good core group to study with, plan with, and generally work around definitely helped me out.

Also, people get off the waitlist right up through July. If you're waitlisted due to a poor LSAT score, might I suggest doing the retake in June?

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:05 pm

NorCalLaw wrote: If I recall correctly, the loan disbursements come out a week or two before class starts.
Not disputing how it happened in your class.
The financial aid advisor, Mr. Zerbe, said at the ASD that school starts on a monday and IF YOU HAVE DIRECT DEPOSIT ONLY you will receive funds the Friday prior. GL everyone!

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
NorCalLaw wrote: If I recall correctly, the loan disbursements come out a week or two before class starts.
Not disputing how it happened in your class.
The financial aid advisor, Mr. Zerbe, said at the ASD that school starts on a monday and IF YOU HAVE DIRECT DEPOSIT ONLY you will receive funds the Friday prior. GL everyone!
When and where do we fill out Direct Deposit form?

I'm guessing they mail us check if we don't have that.

Don't forget to fill out the financial aid email they sent out btw!

flyingmantis

New

Post by flyingmantis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Dingo Starr wrote:
NorCalLaw wrote:

Sorry, fill out what financial aid email?

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:42 am

flyingmantis wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
Dingo Starr wrote:
NorCalLaw wrote:

Sorry, fill out what financial aid email?
Check your Spam folders.

They sent an email asking us to supplement the Need Access form with a email survey.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missjables16

New

Post by missjables16 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote: If it helps, I was waitlisted and did not send a LOCI because the instructions said not to. Then, sometime around May the admissions office reached out and said they were accepting LOCIs, and I sent one in then. I was accepted about 2 weeks after that.

This was the 2010-11 admissions cycled (I'm class of '14), so it's possible things have changed. I also don't have the counterfactual (i.e. I can't go back and send a LOCI before they asked and see what happens), so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience, for what it's worth.
Okay I am totally kicking myself right now. Yesterday Dean Canada sent out a waitlist update email with the following language,

"Please start a new message, and show only "WL" on the subject line of your email. Please include in the body of your email the following:

1. Your full name
2. LSAC number
3. Current phone number
4. Current mailing address"

I got so excited that I immediately submitted my email with ONLY that information. Was this my opportunity to submit a LOCI? Dang it!

Good luck to all us waitlisters.

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 pm

missjables16 wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote: If it helps, I was waitlisted and did not send a LOCI because the instructions said not to. Then, sometime around May the admissions office reached out and said they were accepting LOCIs, and I sent one in then. I was accepted about 2 weeks after that.

This was the 2010-11 admissions cycled (I'm class of '14), so it's possible things have changed. I also don't have the counterfactual (i.e. I can't go back and send a LOCI before they asked and see what happens), so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience, for what it's worth.
Okay I am totally kicking myself right now. Yesterday Dean Canada sent out a waitlist update email with the following language,

"Please start a new message, and show only "WL" on the subject line of your email. Please include in the body of your email the following:

1. Your full name
2. LSAC number
3. Current phone number

I got so excited that I immediately submitted my email with ONLY that information. Was this my opportunity to submit a LOCI? Dang it!

A little concerned that I didn't get this email even though I was waitlisted. Are they sending these out in batches? :shock:

missjables16

New

Post by missjables16 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:13 pm

havermayer wrote:
missjables16 wrote:

1. Your full name
2. LSAC number
3. Current phone number

A little concerned that I didn't get this email even though I was waitlisted. Are they sending these out in batches? :shock:
I can't say. But I can tell you that my last name starts with a B and that I applied EC, so if they ARE sending in batches, that might explain why I received one of the first batches?

Also, check your spam folders and double check that admissions has your most current contact info.

shakeitlikea

New

Post by shakeitlikea » Fri May 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Oh man. Not receiving one of those emails makes me :cry:

Hopefully our batch is next!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Fri May 02, 2014 11:29 pm

missjables16 wrote:

1. Your full name
2. LSAC number
3. Current phone number

You can always send in a LOCI. Even if they tell you not to as a general policy, sending one in won't hurt you (unless you put something stupid in it, of course).

As I mentioned earlier, there is likely to be a lot of movement on the waitlists this year (in large part due to Hastings' rankings/employment numbers/LSAT average slide but also due to the relatively reduced number of total qualified applicants) so don't panic if you have your heart set on the school. I got in off the waitlist in July when I first entered, and I know of several people who got in even later. You can always take a June LSAT if you want a potential last-minute boost- it'll also open the option of reapplying next cycle on strong footing if your final options are ultimately unsatisfying.

cherrytee

New

Post by cherrytee » Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 pm

I just got a call today from the Dean today, offering me a seat off the waitlist. Woohoo!

FYI for all of yall on the waitlist, I got a call in the afternoon. He said I had 2 days to make my decision to pay the seat deposit(End of May 9th). It's $500 for the first one. The second one is due when it is supposed to be due. I will most likely pull out and not pay the deposit as my current situation changed a bit. But the point of this is letting you guys know that when you get in, you basically have to decide instantly, before you get your financial package, or even an official letter/offer. He said, the rollout to the waitlisted people will be super quick. Once they realize I won't go, they'll probably call the next guy on the list the next day and offer him/her the same thing.

Good luck to you all.

xtinesung

New

Post by xtinesung » Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 pm

cherrytee wrote:I just got a call today from the Dean today, offering me a seat off the waitlist. Woohoo!

FYI for all of yall on the waitlist, I got a call in the afternoon. He said I had 2 days to make my decision to pay the seat deposit(End of May 9th). It's $500 for the first one. The second one is due when it is supposed to be due. I will most likely pull out and not pay the deposit as my current situation changed a bit. But the point of this is letting you guys know that when you get in, you basically have to decide instantly, before you get your financial package, or even an official letter/offer. He said, the rollout to the waitlisted people will be super quick. Once they realize I won't go, they'll probably call the next guy on the list the next day and offer him/her the same thing.

Good luck to you all.

Hi! Congrats on getting off the waitlist :) Did you send any additional information (resumes, more LORs etc) or LOCIs?

SFpizzaGuy88

New

Post by SFpizzaGuy88 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:34 pm

cherrytee wrote:I just got a call today from the Dean today, offering me a seat off the waitlist. Woohoo!

Good luck to you all.

Mind sharing your stats for those of us who are on the waitlist so we can estimate where stand stats wise relative to you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missjables16

New

Post by missjables16 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 pm

ACCEPTED today! phone call from Dean Canada :D

He wasn't able to give me financial aid information but I was actually given a full week to deposit, so hopefully I'll hear before then!

shakeitlikea

New

Post by shakeitlikea » Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 pm

missjables16 wrote:ACCEPTED today! phone call from Dean Canada :D

He wasn't able to give me financial aid information but I was actually given a full week to deposit, so hopefully I'll hear before then!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

I really don't want to move to Seattle....so c'mon Hastings!!!!!

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Fri May 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Another request for interest and information went out about 30 min ago. Looks like they're going to start calling again next week.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Fri May 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Good luck to you all.
So where are you attending this Fall?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri May 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I applied here also and withdrew once I saw their most recent employment scores.

I just hope that all of you take a look. I love San Fran, but those #'s are awful. Hope you guys received large scholarships if you end up enrolling.

Not trying to troll or be a Debbie downer, just want to lead anyone considering here:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/hastings/2013/

You're more likely to be unemployed than to find a job.

Again, good luck. Just trying to look out for fellow TLSers.

alawstudentsometime

Bronze

Post by alawstudentsometime » Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Shirosham wrote:Another request for interest and information went out about 30 min ago. Looks like they're going to start calling again next week.
Yep. Hoping for a call--the anticipation is kind of fun tho (I guess). Let's keep each other posted.

cherrytee

New

Post by cherrytee » Sat May 10, 2014 2:06 am

Hello moonlight and others.

Thanks for the kind words. No LOCI or any kind of follow up. I got the waitlist email like some of you did where you reply with your lsac number blahblah. I just filled that out and that's it.

As far as my decision, it's dead between SCU and Davis(don't wanna be too off topic from this thread). But just taking everything into consideration, I'm like a 51% scu. So tonight was my hastings deadline. I just let it pass. If anyone else has questions or wants to know anything about my stats or campus related stuff, feel free to ask me.

I've been to 6 campus visits, receptions/admit day events, and seriously. Some people have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Excuse me. Most people. So I applaud Steve Buschemi's Post. Hardly anyone from Admin's gonna say it like it is.

Good luck to the rest of you who got another email. Hope you get the call next week!

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Nucky wrote:I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I applied here also and withdrew once I saw their most recent employment scores.

I just hope that all of you take a look. I love San Fran, but those #'s are awful. Hope you guys received large scholarships if you end up enrolling.

Not trying to troll or be a Debbie downer, just want to lead anyone considering here:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/hastings/2013/

You're more likely to be unemployed than to find a job.

Again, good luck. Just trying to look out for fellow TLSers.
I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread, but it's important so I'll chime in as well. As a Hastings student I can confirm this is absolutely true. Hastings preaches social justice and such, but the employment outcomes are incredibly polarized and unfair. The school rides its old prestige (into the ground?) to place ~50 students per year in biglaw, but the bottom half of the class is basically a graveyard. Even the second quarter of the class (top 50-25%) is in for a rough ride. For whatever reason, the school is unwilling to give out big scholarships to pull in the talent needed to bring its numbers up, and instead spreads the money around ineffectually. The supposed "big class size cut" has also been eclipsed by its peer schools in the region.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat May 10, 2014 7:27 pm

cherrytee wrote:Hello moonlight and others.

Thanks for the kind words. No LOCI or any kind of follow up. I got the waitlist email like some of you did where you reply with your lsac number blahblah. I just filled that out and that's it.

As far as my decision, it's dead between SCU and Davis(don't wanna be too off topic from this thread). But just taking everything into consideration, I'm like a 51% scu. So tonight was my hastings deadline. I just let it pass. If anyone else has questions or wants to know anything about my stats or campus related stuff, feel free to ask me.

I've been to 6 campus visits, receptions/admit day events, and seriously. Some people have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Excuse me. Most people. So I applaud Steve Buschemi's Post. Hardly anyone from Admin's gonna say it like it is.

Good luck to the rest of you who got another email. Hope you get the call next week!
Hey!, if you dont mind me asking what where your numbers, u can even pm me! thanks!

cherrytee

New

Post by cherrytee » Sun May 11, 2014 3:42 am

3.27/160.

I'm pretty lucky to have gotten an email, and then a call.

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Mon May 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Well this is nervewracking. No waitlist email this round either. Boo.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Mon May 12, 2014 5:29 pm

havermayer wrote:Well this is nervewracking. No waitlist email this round either. Boo.
Whats your stat and when did you apply?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”