UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
altthymes

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Post by altthymes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:56 pm

churrochi wrote:In off the waitlist: 151/3.85. Not URM.
Asian, female, queer -- if those count for anything.

Wasn't too gung-ho on attending UC Hastings and kind of resigned to retaking the LSAT this September (been studying for about two and a half weeks now). Got a call while I was studying that I was admitted with a $13k/yr renewable scholarship. I know TLS users tend to err towards the side of "T14 or bust" but is Hastings worth passing over for the chance of improving my score?

(That being said, I am 100000% convinced I can do better than a 151; I had a lot of personal issues going on at the time that account for the low score.)
I think you should retake, and I'm not in the "T14 or bust" camp. But you have a solid GPA and if you study really hard and get that LSAT to a 165+, you'll be looking at more money from higher ranked schools. Or if you decide you want to go to Hastings, you'll likely get a bigger scholarship. Keep studying!

ETA - Also, you should be excited about the school you're going to attend, so if you're not that into Hastings, I think retaking and aiming for a school you genuinely are interested in is the best option.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm

altthymes wrote:

Wasn't too gung-ho on attending UC Hastings and kind of resigned to retaking the LSAT this September (been studying for about two and a half weeks now). Got a call while I was studying that I was admitted with a $13k/yr renewable scholarship. I know TLS users tend to err towards the side of "T14 or bust" but is Hastings worth passing over for the chance of improving my score?

(That being said, I am 100000% convinced I can do better than a 151; I had a lot of personal issues going on at the time that account for the low score.)
I think you should retake, and I'm not in the "T14 or bust" camp. But you have a solid GPA and if you study really hard and get that LSAT to a 165+, you'll be looking at more money from higher ranked schools. Or if you decide you want to go to Hastings, you'll likely get a bigger scholarship. Keep studying!

ETA - Also, you should be excited about the school you're going to attend, so if you're not that into Hastings, I think retaking and aiming for a school you genuinely are interested in is the best option.
Thank you for the note! Very much appreciated.

If/when I do withdraw -- hope one of you guys gets my seat!

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 pm

The general consensus is that there's no scenario in which going to law school on a 151 LSAT score makes sense. I tend to agree with that line of reasoning. T14 or bust is bullshit for a variety of reasons but you absolutely should not sell your 3.85 gpa short. I ended up going to Hastings in large part due to my awful college GPA (thanks, organic chemistry). You should do what makes economic sense for you, personally.

Feel free to PM me.

acceptmepls!

New

Post by acceptmepls! » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Hello fellow UC Hastings applicants!
So I got a waitlist update email last Wednesday afternoon stating that they will be going through the final round of selections later last week and beginning of this week.

I feel like most of the people who got pulled off waitlist got a similar email prior to getting their acceptance. But I’m not sure if there are people who get the email but doesn’t get selected.

I responded to the email on the same day indicating that I am still very interested but haven’t received any phone call yet. Most of the people I spoke to previously who were pulled off waitlist got the call within one or two days after getting the email.

Did anyone else receive the email from last Wednesday? Or anyone got pulled off waitlist multiple days after receiving a similar email? I may just be too anxious as they may get to me sometime later this week.

Fingers crossed!! Thank you!

enya2002

New

Post by enya2002 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm

acceptmepls! wrote:Hello fellow UC Hastings applicants!
So I got a waitlist update email last Wednesday afternoon stating that they will be going through the final round of selections later last week and beginning of this week.

I feel like most of the people who got pulled off waitlist got a similar email prior to getting their acceptance. But I’m not sure if there are people who get the email but doesn’t get selected.

I responded to the email on the same day indicating that I am still very interested but haven’t received any phone call yet. Most of the people I spoke to previously who were pulled off waitlist got the call within one or two days after getting the email.

Did anyone else receive the email from last Wednesday? Or anyone got pulled off waitlist multiple days after receiving a similar email? I may just be too anxious as they may get to me sometime later this week.

Fingers crossed!! Thank you!
What! I didn't receive any waitlist update email...
It seems good to you!
another question, does somebody know if Hastings do reply and confirm that they have received your LOCI after you send it?
I send two LOCI but didn't get any confirmation like "thank you we have received your LOCI". (I'm concerned because other schools reply and confirm to me after I send it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acceptmepls!

New

Post by acceptmepls! » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

I got THE call around 3PM today!!! ~ Very relieved, but they couldn't tell me whether or not I got any financial aid.
For those admitted, how did they let you know about your financial aid? Did you have to pay the deposit first??

Also, I'm looking for housing in SF near UC Hastings. Please PM me if you are looking for a roommate!!

To enya2002, I did send in one LOCI. A student working at the admissions office responded to my LOCI email about one week after I sent it.

xtinesung

New

Post by xtinesung » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:28 pm

If you're waitlisted at a school (which you would go to if accepted), what should you do about financial aid at the school you deposit at? I've noticed some schools might inform you of acceptance/rejection as late as the day before school starts. In these cases, do you guys have any idea what the students do in terms of financial aid, since we have to accept/deny the financial aid prior to starting school correct?

PLEEEASE HELP!! And congrats to those who are not in limbo with waitlists anymore :D

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 pm

xtinesung wrote:If you're waitlisted at a school (which you would go to if accepted), what should you do about financial aid at the school you deposit at? I've noticed some schools might inform you of acceptance/rejection as late as the day before school starts. In these cases, do you guys have any idea what the students do in terms of financial aid, since we have to accept/deny the financial aid prior to starting school correct?

PLEEEASE HELP!! And congrats to those who are not in limbo with waitlists anymore :D
I think you would still accept until further notice.

starchild

New

Post by starchild » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 am

I got the "are you still interested in the waitlist?" email today and of course I said yes. From what I have read, this seems like good news. If I am admitted, I'm torn between staying at Santa Clara or going to Hastings. Of course I'm leaning toward Hastings for various reasons but it seems like everything I read is telling me the unemployment rate is terrible at both schools and not to go to either (lol?).

So my question is, why did you guys choose Hastings over somewhere else? I need help in making a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:50 am

starchild wrote:I got the "are you still interested in the waitlist?" email today and of course I said yes. From what I have read, this seems like good news. If I am admitted, I'm torn between staying at Santa Clara or going to Hastings. Of course I'm leaning toward Hastings for various reasons but it seems like everything I read is telling me the unemployment rate is terrible at both schools and not to go to either (lol?).

So my question is, why did you guys choose Hastings over somewhere else? I need help in making a decision.
If you're determined to go to a law school in the Bay Area with a name that doesn't rhyme with Randford or Urkley (the only truly safe/good options here), you should focus on keeping your costs as low as possible. Could you attend either location while living with relatives or friends on the cheap? That would be an important determination. Another important determination is which school offered the most aid.

Both schools have cut their class size by about 20% since the class of 2013 matriculated, so they're both likely to show (very) modest improvements in job outcomes in the coming years. Hastings has access to nearby courts for convenient and plentiful externship opportunities. Santa Clara has a (genuine) IP program for people with hard science backgrounds that legitimately places some of their students into Silicon Valley firms. Hastings is probably "a better school," but that is really a meaningless distinction when you get down to it. Dean Wu (our dean here at Hastings) is doing everything he can to destroy our reputation and crush our competitive edge to a dull, rounded stub, including hiring more (very expensive) tenured faculty even while cutting class size (slightly). As a result, the school is near-broke and charging more than ever for tuition. Dean Wu even writes rambling, obtuse articles on ATL, presumably out of spite for his students.

I know your stats aren't great, but as a URM you might be well-served by retaking the LSAT and reapplying, at least for additional aid money. You should consider visiting the URM forum here and checking out what your options are. You might be able to hit Davis with enough work, and they offer substantially better career outcomes.

xtinesung

New

Post by xtinesung » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 pm

In today! Received an email asking if I was still interested in the waitlist and to call the office. I called immediately and was offered a spot! Totally made my day :D

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm

So what median are they going for?? 157?

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 am

xtinesung wrote:In today! Received an email asking if I was still interested in the waitlist and to call the office. I called immediately and was offered a spot! Totally made my day :D
Given that you were set on USF/McGeorge with scholarship stipulations, congratulations on a genuine improvement.

Hope you kill it during your first year. It's top 15% or bust unless you can cook up some special contacts. The "good news" is that at the end of the 1L year about half of that top 15% will transfer away, giving other hopefuls a chance to move up the ladder in the following years. These transfers will then call their former friends on occasion to check in on them, much like a migrant worker checking up on his family back home in their third-world nation.

Seriously, prepare to work harder than you've ever worked in your life. On top of that, you need to manufacture every advantage you can get. Be prepared to look for jobs not just in the East Bay, but in the Central Valley. Hastings students still do well in Sacramento if you actually put in the time to investigate. Your future absolutely depends on making the most of what Hastings has left to offer. That means you will want to extern at one of the local courts and pump the handful of industry-connected profs for connections.

By all means, feel free to PM me to chat about the school. I'm just about to start my 3rd year here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”