UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cmroberto

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cmroberto » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 am

IN via text message yesterday and received the email about an hour and a half later! very excited buuuut this acceptance has just complicated my decision even more! Davis is a major contender for me if this money is right

shtein

Postby shtein » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating with Davis?

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 pm

I got a nice looking scholarship from UC Davis today. I'm excited to go to the preview weekend and see how I feel!

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:I got a nice looking scholarship from UC Davis today. I'm excited to go to the preview weekend and see how I feel!

Awesome! It's nice to see some action here. Even though we're in, the waiting for next weekend and more information is tough. Can't wait to finalize my decision and have some peace of mind!

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 pm

When I spoke to the people in admissions they said UC Davis does not give merit based scholarships? Is this true?

kirbyb

Postby kirbyb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Newb2law wrote:When I spoke to the people in admissions they said UC Davis does not give merit based scholarships? Is this true?

Not true. I received a merit scholarship.

underwear

Postby underwear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 am

"Application File Complete - Awaiting Evaluation "

I don't remember what/when each status update was, but I submitted my app 1/31....

Two months and still awaiting evaluation?

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 am

This sums up UC Davis perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzztu9xxd9U

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:08 am

yeslekkkk wrote:This sums up UC Davis perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzztu9xxd9U

I've heard the town is actually a fun place to live with a lot going on. Is it really boring?

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 am

Jamesta25 wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:This sums up UC Davis perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzztu9xxd9U

I've heard the town is actually a fun place to live with a lot going on. Is it really boring?

I've lived in a couple cities now. Davis is not boring. You can feel like you're in this weird middle America town that is pretty liberal, food aware, and intellectual. There is an angsty hippy spirit from the 60's still alive. There are still co-ops and other local sustainable movements. If you do get bored, you can go to SF, Sac, Tahoe, and even Reno.

Davis has DELICIOUS FOOD. The Farmer's Market is the best farmer's market I have ever been to. You can't beat a farmer's market that has all the food from the San Joaquin Valley. Also, you have amazing, authentic various types of Asian food. The Mexican food isn't soooo great though. Only San Diegans complain about that though. NorCal people are okay with it. It's super easy to bar hop in downtown Davis. Bands play on campus regularly. Picnic Day and Whole Earth Festival are big on-campus festivals.

The novelty might wear off after awhile. Probably the worst part about Davis is that it's so far from the ocean. Even if you do trek to the bay, the water is cold. I grew up next to the beach, so I say that's the biggest drawback for me.

But hey, Davis has a pretty low cost of living (especially for CA).

I think that video is hilarious. If you've gone to UC Davis or ever been to Davis, it just calls out everything.

fallingwater

Postby fallingwater » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Davis is one of the true remaining college towns in California, not to mention the country—think San Luis Obispo (sans the beach), Boulder, or Urbana-Champaign. Downtown Davis is literally across the street from campus and there are a ton of bars without the SF traffic or parking issues (not that you need to drive). With such a small class size, it'll be a pretty social place for you and your classmates. It's currently tied with San Diego as the third "best" UC campus. It also has a top med school, vet school (second to Cornell), and business school.

While most people consider it to in the middle of nowhere, it is between Sacramento and the Bay Area. A lot of big firms still come to OCI and for those that don't—typically the SoCal offices of firms like Latham & Watkins for example—they still happily take resumes and hire Davis grads. Of course, you need to be top 10% coming from a school like this (at least this is what a L&W partner told me).

Some potential negatives (depending on your personality): drivers in Davis drive really really slow; the cops are obnoxious (this made national news headlines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Davis_p ... y_incident); there is strong hippy, co-oppy type feel; it rains a lot by California standards; and most of the undergrads come from the Bay Area and say "hella."

I'm still not sure if I will be matriculating, but these are some factors I'm considering. I leave with the Davis reference in Portlandia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0CPkRDfhyE

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:52 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
Jamesta25 wrote:

I've lived in a couple cities now. Davis is not boring. You can feel like you're in this weird middle America town that is pretty liberal, food aware, and intellectual. There is an angsty hippy spirit from the 60's still alive. There are still co-ops and other local sustainable movements. If you do get bored, you can go to SF, Sac, Tahoe, and even Reno.

Davis has DELICIOUS FOOD. The Farmer's Market is the best farmer's market I have ever been to. You can't beat a farmer's market that has all the food from the San Joaquin Valley. Also, you have amazing, authentic various types of Asian food. The Mexican food isn't soooo great though. Only San Diegans complain about that though. NorCal people are okay with it. It's super easy to bar hop in downtown Davis. Bands play on campus regularly. Picnic Day and Whole Earth Festival are big on-campus festivals.

The novelty might wear off after awhile. Probably the worst part about Davis is that it's so far from the ocean. Even if you do trek to the bay, the water is cold. I grew up next to the beach, so I say that's the biggest drawback for me.

But hey, Davis has a pretty low cost of living (especially for CA).

I think that video is hilarious. If you've gone to UC Davis or ever been to Davis, it just calls out everything.

Hold up. Authentic Asian food? Where? Bars are "meh", it's easy to get around but there's not a big selection and there aren't any clubs if that's your thing.

Davis is what you make for it. If you're coming from a big city, you're in for a rough time. There's not a lot to do in the city and everything shuts down pretty early so if you're a night-owl you're left with very few places to visit and even fewer to eat at. I spent a lot of my undergrad traveling (Thank god for work sending me to places for free) so I tried not to spend too much time in Davis, especially on the weekends.

Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing time in Davis (and I still live here with friends). But you have to try to make the effort to find something fun to do, it just doesn't come to you. If I didn't travel out of the city, I spent the majority of my time biking, playing intermurals, or hanging out with the Fraternity and I worked full time so I managed to have fun. :D. There's bands that play at houses, bars, on top of parking garages, quad. And everyone's really friendly which makes finding new people to hang out with and new adventures pretty easy.

It's a freaking amazing place to study though, it gets super quiet when you need to be since it's a college town and all.

The law school is on a nicer, more updated side of campus, close to parking (You don't need to fight with undergrads). And it's gone through some pretty nifty renovation.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Did anyone else receive the email saying that anyone who submitted FAFSA and Need Access should have received a "gift aid reward" email by now? It said to check your junk and spam mail. I just emailed them back asking if I will be receiving aid, since I submitted all of my forms and never got an email.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:07 pm

dobie1 wrote:Did anyone else receive the email saying that anyone who submitted FAFSA and Need Access should have received a "gift aid reward" email by now? It said to check your junk and spam mail. I just emailed them back asking if I will be receiving aid, since I submitted all of my forms and never got an email.

I got that email. I emailed earlier this week asking about aid. Instead of sending us emails telling us to wait, they should honestly speed up the process. Some people have to put deposits down on April 1. It's very inconsiderate. They finally got back to me. The finances are the next important thing to admission. It's hard to make a decision without it. If you emailed them, you should get something soon from them.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
dobie1 wrote:Did anyone else receive the email saying that anyone who submitted FAFSA and Need Access should have received a "gift aid reward" email by now? It said to check your junk and spam mail. I just emailed them back asking if I will be receiving aid, since I submitted all of my forms and never got an email.

I got that email. I emailed earlier this week asking about aid. Instead of sending us emails telling us to wait, they should honestly speed up the process. Some people have to put deposits down on April 1. It's very inconsiderate. They finally got back to me. The finances are the next important thing to admission. It's hard to make a decision without it. If you emailed them, you should get something soon from them.

I got an email back earlier tonight saying that their offices are closed because of Cesar Chavez Day, but that they will resend it by Monday. Can't wait to see what the offer is! Luckily my other deposits aren't due until the 15th, so I have some time to think.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Who is going to admit day? That will be my last event and then, I have to decide. Woo

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:Who is going to admit day? That will be my last event and then, I have to decide. Woo

Seeing as I will be visiting a friend up north and will be in the area, I will be there.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 pm

My status checker has been frozen at "evaluation in progress" for a very long time. I'm assuming an unofficial hold at this point.

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Nucky wrote:My status checker has been frozen at "evaluation in progress" for a very long time. I'm assuming an unofficial hold at this point.

Yeah, I was a late applicant, and mine is still awaiting evaluation. I applied in January. Of course, every other school gave me their decision 4 weeks ago. It's pretty much at the point where even if I'm admitted I'll have already made my decision.

It'd even be nice just to see more people's applications moving along.

cmroberto

Postby cmroberto » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:42 pm

dobie1 wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:

I got an email back earlier tonight saying that their offices are closed because of Cesar Chavez Day, but that they will resend it by Monday. Can't wait to see what the offer is! Luckily my other deposits aren't due until the 15th, so I have some time to think.

I emailed them on Friday as well but I have not heard anything back yet (not even a "we'll resend on Monday"). I called admissions this morning and the woman I spoke with asked me to give them a little time to get the email resent. HOWEVER, I don't even have confirmation that they received my email on Friday AND I have a deposit deadline tomorrow for the school that is tied with Davis for my first choice. I am majorly stressing out. Please let me know if you guys receive your offer email!

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:52 pm

cmroberto wrote:
dobie1 wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:

I emailed them on Friday as well but I have not heard anything back yet (not even a "we'll resend on Monday"). I called admissions this morning and the woman I spoke with asked me to give them a little time to get the email resent. HOWEVER, I don't even have confirmation that they received my email on Friday AND I have a deposit deadline tomorrow for the school that is tied with Davis for my first choice. I am majorly stressing out. Please let me know if you guys receive your offer email!

well you should have or still should ask for an extension. I did that for another school, and it worked. As it turns out, I'm no longer interested in them. But ehhhh... you should probably put down a deposit for the other school if you're seriously considering it.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 am

I just got a pretty nice scholarship email. Wish I could make it out this weekend!

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Anyone else getting restricted access when they try to log in to the MyAwards financial aid page? They said that these would be available starting today but my access is still restricted. Anyone else try?

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Mine works but I also went to undergrad there...

Jamesta25

Postby Jamesta25 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:Mine works but I also went to undergrad there...

Does it have your updated financial aid package for next year though?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”