UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yeslekkkk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:02 pm

mes10d wrote:
iskim88 wrote:In a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know when they release scholarship info?


+1 for this, I'm getting antsy.


+2

purplethunder
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby purplethunder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Another day, another "Evaluation in Progress"

I'm tired of checking the status checker every day at 6 pm :(

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:42 pm

purplethunder wrote:Another day, another "Evaluation in Progress"

I'm tired of checking the status checker every day at 6 pm :(


I have had the same status for the past two weeks or so. Took long enough to even get here, I thought this meant a decision was imminent.

Can't imagine it would take too much longer... But then again...

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 pm

I applied in October, and I've had Evaluation in Progress since 11/21. I hate them.

purplethunder
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby purplethunder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:27 am

Nucky wrote:
purplethunder wrote:Another day, another "Evaluation in Progress"

I'm tired of checking the status checker every day at 6 pm :(


I have had the same status for the past two weeks or so. Took long enough to even get here, I thought this meant a decision was imminent.

Can't imagine it would take too much longer... But then again...


Yeah don't expect anything anytime soon. I've had the same status for 2 months.

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby laballermvp9 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 am

I submitted my app on January 13th and my status is only at "application file complete--awaiting evaluation." Why are they so slow and how long should I expect to wait for a decision?

purplethunder
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby purplethunder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 am

laballermvp9 wrote:I submitted my app on January 13th and my status is only at "application file complete--awaiting evaluation." Why are they so slow and how long should I expect to wait for a decision?


Have you gone to "Processing in Progress"? I was stuck there for a month. Then I moved to "Evaluation in Progress" on 1/3. There hasn't been any movement since then.

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby laballermvp9 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:15 am

purplethunder wrote:
laballermvp9 wrote:I submitted my app on January 13th and my status is only at "application file complete--awaiting evaluation." Why are they so slow and how long should I expect to wait for a decision?


Have you gone to "Processing in Progress"? I was stuck there for a month. Then I moved to "Evaluation in Progress" on 1/3. There hasn't been any movement since then.


@purplethunder-- I already passed that stage. I was stuck at "processing in progress" as well for about a month but only moved to "application file complete." I'm guessing I'm between the processing and evaluation stages right now lol.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:19 am

I've been on In Evaluation for like 3 months now.

altthymes
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby altthymes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi all,

Longtime lurker. Just looked at the status checker and got the unofficial decision that I was waitlisted.

I have to admit I'm really surprised - 163/3.8, and I have several years of criminal justice reform work under my belt. I've gotten into higher ranked and similarly ranked schools, but I was actually really leaning toward Davis. Anyone know chances of getting off the waitlist?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm

altthymes wrote:Hi all,

Longtime lurker. Just looked at the status checker and got the unofficial decision that I was waitlisted.

I have to admit I'm really surprised - 163/3.8, and I have several years of criminal justice reform work under my belt. I've gotten into higher ranked and similarly ranked schools, but I was actually really leaning toward Davis. Anyone know chances of getting off the waitlist?


Probably high. Last year, I had lower stats than yours on both end. I got off the waitlist with 20k/yr.

Make sure you show interest in the school. Now's the time to probably write a good LOCI.

It's not over until you get the official ding.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Anyone else get accepted or dinged? They're so slow.

purplethunder
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby purplethunder » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:53 pm

They're accepting applications until March 15th?!!

I wonder if that's why this is taking so long.

altthymes
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby altthymes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:12 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
altthymes wrote:Hi all,

Longtime lurker. Just looked at the status checker and got the unofficial decision that I was waitlisted.

I have to admit I'm really surprised - 163/3.8, and I have several years of criminal justice reform work under my belt. I've gotten into higher ranked and similarly ranked schools, but I was actually really leaning toward Davis. Anyone know chances of getting off the waitlist?


Probably high. Last year, I had lower stats than yours on both end. I got off the waitlist with 20k/yr.

Make sure you show interest in the school. Now's the time to probably write a good LOCI.

It's not over until you get the official ding.


Thanks, I appreciate the input!

flgatorfan0101
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby flgatorfan0101 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:45 am

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships from Davis? I'm in with 25k per year but I've got slightly better stats than someone on here who got 35k (167, 3.65). I'm thinking I might have gotten a lower offer because I'm coming from so far away (Gainesville, FL) and they might not think I'm interested. Any thoughts?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

USNews Rankings are out:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-u ... h-changes/

Davis is officially the 5th best law school in CA behind only Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC. Rose 2 spots while USC dropped by 2 spots to #20 and it's bay area counterpart was ousted from the top 50 into tier 2 category.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Where's Hastings on this list?

How do they have a list when the 2015 ones haven't been released yet?

User avatar
Sgt Brody.
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Sgt Brody. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Moonlight wrote:Where's Hastings on this list?

How do they have a list when the 2015 ones haven't been released yet?


I believe Hastings is offically a tier two law school now, as it is no longer in the top 50.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Sgt Brody. wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Where's Hastings on this list?

How do they have a list when the 2015 ones haven't been released yet?


I believe Hastings is offically a tier two law school now, as it is no longer in the top 50.


Damn. Where did this site get its data if the USN report doesnt come out till tomorrow?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yeslekkkk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Sgt Brody. wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Where's Hastings on this list?

How do they have a list when the 2015 ones haven't been released yet?


I believe Hastings is offically a tier two law school now, as it is no longer in the top 50.


Damn. Where did this site get its data if the USN report doesnt come out till tomorrow?


http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
Sgt Brody. wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Where's Hastings on this list?

How do they have a list when the 2015 ones haven't been released yet?


I believe Hastings is offically a tier two law school now, as it is no longer in the top 50.


Damn. Where did this site get its data if the USN report doesnt come out till tomorrow?


http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/


Well, at least it didn't fall too far into T2...

clemenza
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby clemenza » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Just decided to apply tonight, going for enviro law. Found it odd that such a great school extended their application deadline.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 am

clemenza wrote:Just decided to apply tonight, going for enviro law. Found it odd that such a great school extended their application deadline.


I only applied because they offered me a fee waiver.

User avatar
fallingwater
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby fallingwater » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 am

Unfortunately UC Hastings seems like it's on a long-term downward decline in USN rankings. Probably a trend since before 2009. It had a high point (#19) in 1992. What's happening with this school?

Meanwhile UC Davis moved up 2 spots (#36). Sure it wasn't where it was in 2010-2012, but at least there's some improvement. I heard that their number of apps actually increased this year, although it's probably due to the fee waiver. Since Davis and Hastings are often deemed virtually the same school in terms of prospects (at least on TLS), does anyone think recent events change anything? Is Davis now objectively more favorable?

Also, USC is down 2 points (#20 tied with UMN). This doesn't seem very surprising as both USC's and UCLA's rankings have fluctuated in the top 25 for awhile. However in the current state of law school admissions, does anyone think this might be good news for those of us who are still waiting on a decision?

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 am

fallingwater wrote:Unfortunately UC Hastings seems like it's on a long-term downward decline in USN rankings. Probably a trend since before 2009. It had a high point (#19) in 1992. What's happening with this school?

Meanwhile UC Davis moved up 2 spots (#36). Sure it wasn't where it was in 2010-2012, but at least there's some improvement. I heard that their number of apps actually increased this year, although it's probably due to the fee waiver. Since Davis and Hastings are often deemed virtually the same school in terms of prospects (at least on TLS), does anyone think recent events change anything? Is Davis now objectively more favorable?

Also, USC is down 2 points (#20 tied with UMN). This doesn't seem very surprising as both USC's and UCLA's rankings have fluctuated in the top 25 for awhile. However in the current state of law school admissions, does anyone think this might be good news for those of us who are still waiting on a decision?


Here's what I took away from these changes. I think its questionnable that Davis went up 2 slots considering they had a hard time getting their full 200 some students last year. I think the Fee Waiver is a way to drive up the game and help their rankings. I'm not sure if Davis is objectively more favorable although if they are competing in Sacramento market then that's going to be way easier than San Francisco market relatively speaking.

I'm also thinking that with this employment aspect of the ranking, it's kind of unfair for schools in California because our markets are so much more saturated than say Indiana (picking a random state).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests