WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
11
12%
22-23
27
29%
24-26
38
40%
27-30
14
15%
30+
4
4%
 
Total votes: 94

User avatar
johnnyquest
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby johnnyquest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Fiero85 wrote:Quick Section Guide

A: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Greenfield)
B: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Badawi)
C: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
D: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
E: Torts (Norwood), Crim (Osgood), K (DeGeest)
F: Torts (Norwood), Con Law (Flagg), K (DeGeest)

Schedule bonus tidbits:
A: light M/T days
B: Most Balanced Schedule award
C: No classes Fridays, no big gaps between classes M-R
D: No classes Fridays, with large gaps between classes M and T
E: No classes Mondays
F: No classes before 10:30 AM

Cuse, Sublime, et all: Would you mind ranking the sections?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 pm

johnnyquest wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:Quick Section Guide

A: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Greenfield)
B: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Badawi)
C: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
D: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
E: Torts (Norwood), Crim (Osgood), K (DeGeest)
F: Torts (Norwood), Con Law (Flagg), K (DeGeest)

Schedule bonus tidbits:
A: light M/T days
B: Most Balanced Schedule award
C: No classes Fridays, no big gaps between classes M-R
D: No classes Fridays, with large gaps between classes M and T
E: No classes Mondays
F: No classes before 10:30 AM

Cuse, Sublime, et all: Would you mind ranking the sections?


lol it's hard for us to rank sections objectively. I can be super biased about it though if you're down with that. Will probably offend some of my classmates who lurk this thread though.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

johnnyquest wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:Quick Section Guide

A: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Greenfield)
B: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Badawi)
C: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
D: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
E: Torts (Norwood), Crim (Osgood), K (DeGeest)
F: Torts (Norwood), Con Law (Flagg), K (DeGeest)

Cuse, Sublime, et all: Would you mind ranking the sections?


First, ignore the schedule stuff. Because it's time to man up and just deal with whatever schedule that life hands you.

Second, this is all my opinion based on my own experience and those of my friends who had the other profs. Apology in advance if some lurker classmate struggled really hard with a professor that I thought was easy.

Section A
I think Section A has the toughest task as far as coming ahead on the curve. Their small section class is Greenfield, who is the mother-of-all contract professors. Tough prof, tough exam. They also have Mandelker, who traditionally has a flat curve because his exam is so easy. I don't know anything noteworthy about Goldwassar. I never heard anyone complaining or praising regarding her Torts class. If you're in this section, triage Mandelker and pour as much time into hacking Greenfield/Goldwassar. Very likely that you get B+ or A- in Mandelker no matter how hard you try (there are exceptions of course). But K/Torts is where you should try to accumulate the bulk of your points.

Section B
Similar to A. Only difference is Badawai. He didn't teach us, so can't provide any insight here.

Section C and D
IMO the best sections to be in for getting ahead of the curve. Tamanaha is classic issue spotter/horse race. You can drill yourself to an A via practice tests. His entire course can be boiled down to a one-page exam outline and the material is very formulaic. Find a 2L or 3L to give you some guidance and prepared to take a ton of practice tests. His curve usually ends up being bimodal with lower spike getting B/B- and upper spike getting A-/A. Konig is an annoying professor to have because he hasn't gotten complete grasp of this "teaching law school" thing yet. Buy Understanding Property by Sprankling. Apparently he teaches right out of it. Be prepared to do nothing all semester and then a mad scramble towards finals as he tries to cover all the material that he got behind on. Pay attention to all latin terminology and history-esque topics. Baker is the prof that gives zero fucks. Join PAD, download my Baker outline from the outline bank. I didn't upload the complete outline or the rest of my K materials into the PAD bank though. Because I want to retain the option to handpick a mentee for that course. But I will say this, he will talk all the time about how he doesn't care about the cases. But do not ignore the cases. U need to know the UCC like the back of your hand as well as the cases that illustrate common law K principles. His practice tests are a joke. He gives u a test that he used for the LLM students, which is hilariously easy and unrepresentative of the actual final you'll take. There are old exams from his days at UNC that are closer to the difficulty of your final. Feel free to PM me if u have him and i'll send those to you.

Section E
Didn't have Norwood. Just know that she has multiple choice questions on her final. If you have Osgood then prepared to get super abstract. He's not a formulaic prof and prefers to dabble in history and philosophy. None of us had DeGeest but i have a friend in the 3L class (who is now at Harvard) who got 100 with him. Apparently it's all about dem policy arguments. So pay special attention to his policy views.

Section F
Same thing as above for DeGeest/Norwood. If you have Flagg, go with God. Just kidding..kind of. My only advice is to (1) do not neglect her midterm. She says it counts, no one really knows for sure if it does or not, don't risk it. (2) Find a 2L who did well. She has very specific preferences as far as phrasing your argument.


ETA: Sorry, should have included more substantive Mandelker advice. DO NOT FALL BEHIND on the readings. At the end of every week, index and organize your cases. Summarize them. Trying to do it all at the end of term is hell. If you stay on top of it diligently, you could very well be in that small group of ppl that get A or higher. His exam is literally just matching the question up with a case. Five questions, 300 words each. Three hours, completely open book. You won't have to study for his final at all minus cursory review if you stay diligent throughout the course as far as indexing your cases

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 pm

If I've said it once I've said it a million times: I <3 Cuse

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:53 pm

cusenation wrote: ignore the schedule stuff. Because it's time to man up and just deal with whatever schedule that life hands you.


Agreed. Just trying to have some positives for people with shitty sections (perhaps myself included???)

And muchos gracias as always, cuse

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
cusenation wrote: ignore the schedule stuff. Because it's time to man up and just deal with whatever schedule that life hands you.


Agreed. Just trying to have some positives for people with shitty sections (perhaps myself included???)

And muchos gracias as always, cuse

C/D is like perfect professors and schedules doe. Those were what I wanted originally and cuse confirmed that for me above.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah I'm fine with any A thru E.

But F sounds god awful

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:59 pm

talk to sublime for Greenfield. His ratio of fucks-given-to-exam-points is ridiculous. So few fucks. But so many points.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:00 pm

Fiero85 wrote:Yeah I'm fine with any A thru E.

But F sounds god awful

i've heard great things about DeGeest. Norwood is neutral. But having Con Law your first term in general is just rough. The fact that it's Flagg is rough too.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:04 pm

cusenation wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:Yeah I'm fine with any A thru E.

But F sounds god awful

i've heard great things about DeGeest. Norwood is neutral. But having Con Law your first term in general is just rough. The fact that it's Flagg is rough too.

Yea I don't want Con Law.

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby workaholic82 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm

cusenation wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:Quick Section Guide

A: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Greenfield)
B: Torts (Goldwasser), Prop (Mandelker), K (Badawi)
C: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
D: Torts (Tamanaha), Prop, (Konig), K (Baker)
E: Torts (Norwood), Crim (Osgood), K (DeGeest)
F: Torts (Norwood), Con Law (Flagg), K (DeGeest)

Cuse, Sublime, et all: Would you mind ranking the sections?


First, ignore the schedule stuff. Because it's time to man up and just deal with whatever schedule that life hands you.

Second, this is all my opinion based on my own experience and those of my friends who had the other profs. Apology in advance if some lurker classmate struggled really hard with a professor that I thought was easy.

Section A
I think Section A has the toughest task as far as coming ahead on the curve. Their small section class is Greenfield, who is the mother-of-all contract professors. Tough prof, tough exam. They also have Mandelker, who traditionally has a flat curve because his exam is so easy. I don't know anything noteworthy about Goldwassar. I never heard anyone complaining or praising regarding her Torts class. If you're in this section, triage Mandelker and pour as much time into hacking Greenfield/Goldwassar. Very likely that you get B+ or A- in Mandelker no matter how hard you try (there are exceptions of course). But K/Torts is where you should try to accumulate the bulk of your points.

Section B
Similar to A. Only difference is Badawai. He didn't teach us, so can't provide any insight here.

Section C and D
IMO the best sections to be in for getting ahead of the curve. Tamanaha is classic issue spotter/horse race. You can drill yourself to an A via practice tests. His entire course can be boiled down to a one-page exam outline and the material is very formulaic. Find a 2L or 3L to give you some guidance and prepared to take a ton of practice tests. His curve usually ends up being bimodal with lower spike getting B/B- and upper spike getting A-/A. Konig is an annoying professor to have because he hasn't gotten complete grasp of this "teaching law school" thing yet. Buy Understanding Property by Sprankling. Apparently he teaches right out of it. Be prepared to do nothing all semester and then a mad scramble towards finals as he tries to cover all the material that he got behind on. Pay attention to all latin terminology and history-esque topics. Baker is the prof that gives zero fucks. Join PAD, download my Baker outline from the outline bank. I didn't upload the complete outline or the rest of my K materials into the PAD bank though. Because I want to retain the option to handpick a mentee for that course. But I will say this, he will talk all the time about how he doesn't care about the cases. But do not ignore the cases. U need to know the UCC like the back of your hand as well as the cases that illustrate common law K principles. His practice tests are a joke. He gives u a test that he used for the LLM students, which is hilariously easy and unrepresentative of the actual final you'll take. There are old exams from his days at UNC that are closer to the difficulty of your final. Feel free to PM me if u have him and i'll send those to you.

Section E
Didn't have Norwood. Just know that she has multiple choice questions on her final. If you have Osgood then prepared to get super abstract. He's not a formulaic prof and prefers to dabble in history and philosophy. None of us had DeGeest but i have a friend in the 3L class (who is now at Harvard) who got 100 with him. Apparently it's all about dem policy arguments. So pay special attention to his policy views.

Section F
Same thing as above for DeGeest/Norwood. If you have Flagg, go with God. Just kidding..kind of. My only advice is to (1) do not neglect her midterm. She says it counts, no one really knows for sure if it does or not, don't risk it. (2) Find a 2L who did well. She has very specific preferences as far as phrasing your argument.


ETA: Sorry, should have included more substantive Mandelker advice. DO NOT FALL BEHIND on the readings. At the end of every week, index and organize your cases. Summarize them. Trying to do it all at the end of term is hell. If you stay on top of it diligently, you could very well be in that small group of ppl that get A or higher. His exam is literally just matching the question up with a case. Five questions, 300 words each. Three hours, completely open book. You won't have to study for his final at all minus cursory review if you stay diligent throughout the course as far as indexing your cases

I ac-cuse you of being awesome, thanks for this.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:40 pm

workaholic82 wrote:I ac-cuse you of being awesome, thanks for this.


I'll admit, I lolled there :P

#punlovingguy

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby workaholic82 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
workaholic82 wrote:I ac-cuse you of being awesome, thanks for this.


I'll admit, I lolled there :P

#punlovingguy

If i can elicit one chortle, then my existence will not have been in vain!

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 pm

cusenation wrote:Drops knowledge bombs left and right


At this rate, Cuse will spend his whole 2L year drinking on our dime with how much we owe him

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Drops knowledge bombs left and right


At this rate, Cuse will spend his whole 2L year drinking on our dime with how much we owe him


Lol pay it forward with the next generation of 0Ls and we'll call it even

User avatar
peachesthedoge
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby peachesthedoge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:05 pm

cusenation wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Drops knowledge bombs left and right


At this rate, Cuse will spend his whole 2L year drinking on our dime with how much we owe him


Lol pay it forward with the next generation of 0Ls and we'll call it even



ew no 0L's are the worst trololol

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:06 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Drops knowledge bombs left and right


At this rate, Cuse will spend his whole 2L year drinking on our dime with how much we owe him


Ulterior motive alert 8)

ETA: he puled the classic "pay it forward" shitk so I've been thwarted.

Well played, cuse.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm

And chortle is a friggin 180 word, workz.

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby workaholic82 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Fiero85 wrote:And chortle is a friggin 180 word, workz.

I pullz no punchez with my fellow WUSTlers(z)...

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:48 pm

We almost to pg 300, gang. Nice.

Cuse, sublime, & co:

How did you guys get to 300 in like March of your cycle? Respect.
And how did you let it fizzle out at 399? Respect tentatively retracted... :wink:

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Fiero85 wrote:We almost to pg 300, gang. Nice.

Cuse, sublime, & co:

How did you guys get to 300 in like March of your cycle? Respect.
And how did you let it fizzle out at 399? Respect tentatively retracted... :wink:

we had about twice as many posters during the initial frenzy...then another surge after full ride bail out

But then we stopped talking to each other once we started school because all the discussion moved to Facebook

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Darn Zuckerburg

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 pm

I suppose our cycle has been less dramatic and was shorter for many, with scholly releases starting in December. People started committing or peace-ing out earlier, therefore less people waiting.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Fiero85 wrote:I suppose our cycle has been less dramatic and was shorter for many, with scholly releases starting in December. People started committing or peace-ing out earlier, therefore less people waiting.

yeah...but still...even ur page count is ridiculously high. 400 page threads are not the norm haha

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:09 pm

cusenation wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:I suppose our cycle has been less dramatic and was shorter for many, with scholly releases starting in December. People started committing or peace-ing out earlier, therefore less people waiting.

yeah...but still...even ur page count is ridiculously high. 400 page threads are not the norm haha


Yeah well what we lack in preftige we make up for in interweb forum notoriety 8)

(suck it HYS)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], BrainsyK, curry1, genjustice, Google [Bot], guybourdin, jtawil, laowhynot109, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, Sawtooth, ThorB and 40 guests