WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

peaches9848

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby peaches9848 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Jmart082 wrote:Just got in off the wait list! I am so overwhelmed with joy and other associated feelz.

That's wonderful!!! Congrats! :)

I'm hoping I'll be in the same boat soon!

dsamuels

Postby dsamuels » Tue May 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Jmart082 wrote:Just got in off the wait list! I am so overwhelmed with joy and other associated feelz.

Hey Congrats! They call you or email you?

edit: I cant spell today smh

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 pm

dsamuels wrote:

Hey Congrats! They call you or email you?

edit: I cant spell today smh

It came in via e-mail from Dean Keating, and got filtered to my promotions folder. Gmail very nearly filtered it out entirely, lol. I think notifying them of my acceptance to Illinois with scholarship got them to pull the trigger.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue May 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Hooray congrats! And looking at your stats, it looks like they need GPAs at the moment for any of you still waiting. This would also make sense given my recent scholly bump.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:06 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:

Hooray congrats! And looking at your stats, it looks like they need GPAs at the moment for any of you still waiting. This would also make sense given my recent scholly bump.

Yeah, definitely the case, as my score doesn't count for their USNR ranking (disabled test taker).

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Yeah, definitely the case, as my score doesn't count for their USNR ranking (disabled test taker).

Ah ok gotcha. So do you think you'll end up at wustl or were you planning on going somewhere else?

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Ah ok gotcha. So do you think you'll end up at wustl or were you planning on going somewhere else?

Truth be told, I'm overjoyed. It was really disheartening when I saw that a couple of the people I had coached for the interview had gotten in shortly after their conversation with Will, but I had wanted WUSTL from the very beginning, so I'll do everything within my power to make that a reality come August. Honestly, the only thing stopping me right now is the last two applications I have pending for in-state schools (you've gotta look at every option).

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed May 21, 2014 10:23 am

Anyone else get the phone call about the incoming class being bigger than they want?

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:28 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone else get the phone call about the incoming class being bigger than they want?

Can you give any more details? Was this in regards to people on the waitlist or have your already been accepted?

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone else get the phone call about the incoming class being bigger than they want?

This year feels weird. Some schools are saying their class is overfilled. I thought applications dropped?

wittyhandle

Postby wittyhandle » Wed May 21, 2014 10:39 am

Did you get a call from an associate dean? I got a call from one but haven't had a chance to call them back.

druskys

Postby druskys » Wed May 21, 2014 10:46 am

I got a call from the associate dean as well... They said I still have a spot in the class but that the class is larger then they anticipated. They offered me a deferment for next year, including $5,000 if I did so. They also guaranteed me a spot for my 2L year if I decided to transfer from another, cheaper school. Basically, they are desperate to get the class smaller but can't reject our admissions to the school. The whole phone call kind of bugged me and made me hope even more that my top wait list choice comes through... We'll have to see.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 am

Why would that bug you? They didn't push deferment on you, they just offered it with additional money. You might be in a numbers band that they can stand to reduce this cycle. Why would reduced class sizes be a bad thing?

I think you're being a bit sensitive, brosef.

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 am

druskys wrote:I got a call from the associate dean as well... They said I still have a spot in the class but that the class is larger then they anticipated. They offered me a deferment for next year, including $5,000 if I did so. They also guaranteed me a spot for my 2L year if I decided to transfer from another, cheaper school. Basically, they are desperate to get the class smaller but can't reject our admissions to the school. The whole phone call kind of bugged me and made me hope even more that my top wait list choice comes through... We'll have to see.

:shock: This is weird. I feel like alot of people double deposited this year. People are going to withdraw soon enough once schools start utilizing their waitlist. I was amazed to hear when people were depositing at 4 schools at a time.

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:52 am

chizzy wrote:
druskys wrote:I got a call from the associate dean as well... They said I still have a spot in the class but that the class is larger then they anticipated. They offered me a deferment for next year, including $5,000 if I did so. They also guaranteed me a spot for my 2L year if I decided to transfer from another, cheaper school. Basically, they are desperate to get the class smaller but can't reject our admissions to the school. The whole phone call kind of bugged me and made me hope even more that my top wait list choice comes through... We'll have to see.

:shock: This is weird. I feel like alot of people double deposited this year. People are going to withdraw soon enough once schools start utilizing their waitlist. I was amazed to hear when people were depositing at 4 schools at a time.

+1 Class size is bound to shrink once T14 starts to pull from WL

druskys

Postby druskys » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Why would that bug you? They didn't push deferment on you, they just offered it with additional money. You might be in a numbers band that they can stand to reduce this cycle. Why would reduced class sizes be a bad thing?

I think you're probably right about me being too sensitive man haha. I just wasn't loving the pressure, you know?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 am

wittyhandle wrote:

Did you get a call from an associate dean? I got a call from one but haven't had a chance to call them back.

Yeah it was probably this. The incoming class is shaping up to be bigger than they wanted, like significantly bigger (were aiming for 200 and it's looking like 240-245). They are offering to increase your scholarship if you A) defer for a year or B) Go somewhere else for your 1L year. They will guarantee acceptance if you go this route.

From what she told me, they aren't making the offer to people with full rides or people paying sticker/close to sticker, more like the people in the middle. Like someone else said, I was kind of insulted by the whole thing.

Oh, and to whoever asked, it's not a WL thing, I was accepted in January. I'm guessing this is about as bad a sign as there could be for people riding the WL.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 21, 2014 10:57 am

druskys wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Why would that bug you? They didn't push deferment on you, they just offered it with additional money. You might be in a numbers band that they can stand to reduce this cycle. Why would reduced class sizes be a bad thing?

I think you're probably right about me being too sensitive man haha. I just wasn't loving the pressure, you know?

Yeah man, I understand completely. I haven't heard of a school actually calling to offer deferrals before, so I'd be tweaking if I got a call as well. I think this is just an adjustment measure, though. I doubt it reflects on your admission directly.

I'm guessing you're not taking the money then? :lol:

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 am

It feels insulting because the people they really want aren't getting this call I would guess. Also, they went from telling me how my other choices couldn't hold a candle to them, to now actually talking up other schools. They went as far as to say something like: well, the firms that recruit here recruit as those schools as well so....Maybe you just had to hear the tone of the call to get why it would bug someone.

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed May 21, 2014 11:00 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:

Yeah it was probably this. The incoming class is shaping up to be bigger than they wanted, like significantly bigger (were aiming for 200 and it's looking like 240-245). They are offering to increase your scholarship if you A) defer for a year or B) Go somewhere else for your 1L year. They will guarantee acceptance if you go this route.

From what she told me, they aren't making the offer to people with full rides or people paying sticker/close to sticker, more like the people in the middle. Like someone else said, I was kind of insulted by the whole thing.

Oh, and to whoever asked, it's not a WL thing, I was accepted in January. I'm guessing this is about as bad a sign as there could be for people riding the WL.

:(

wittyhandle

Postby wittyhandle » Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:

It feels insulting because the people they really want aren't getting this call I would guess. Also, they went from telling me how my other choices couldn't hold a candle to them, to now actually talking up other schools. They went as far as to say something like: well, the firms that recruit here recruit as those schools as well so....Maybe you just had to hear the tone of the call to get why it would bug someone.

It is definitely bugging me and I haven't even called them back. I certainly do not want that awkward phone call. I can imagine they will talk up GW until I'm like, yeah I withdrew from there to go to your school...

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am

chizzy wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:

Sorry chizzy. I certainly empathize with the WL people. Makes me feel like a jerk for complaining. I realy hope you get off the WL.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am

wittyhandle wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

It is definitely bugging me and I haven't even called them back. I certainly do not want that awkward phone call. I can imagine they will talk up GW until I'm like, yeah I withdrew from there to go to your school...

Yeah Witty, I want to work in STL after school. One of the other schools I deposited at basically told me that it would be really tough to get to STL from there. Today, WASHU was telling me how easy it would be to get to STL from that school. So yeah.....

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:

haha wut? Wash U wat r u doin? Wash U stahp.

They actually tried to get you to go somewhere else? Craziness. If you take the guaranteed transfer option do you still get your scholarship for 2 and 3L years? I'm incredibly intrigued by this development.

Like I said earlier, it seems like they really want you but your numbers band is a little over-represented. They wouldn't offer this to full ride kids because they're being poached for a reason (median retention). Same thing for sticker kids— gotta get them dolla dolla bills. I'm not saying "don't be offended," because I'm sure tone did factor in, but I can still see their logic in the whole thing.

peaches9848

Postby peaches9848 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 am

chizzy wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:

This makes me feel awful :( WUSTL is my very top choice and I would be willing to wait another whole cycle (even though I really don't...) to go there. I still feel like there will be hope to hold onto after the 2nd deposit deadline June 1. The fact that Admissions hasn't updated the WL people with anything bad these past couple weeks could perhaps be taken as a good thing..?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”