WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

Lebrarian_Booker

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 am

peachesthedoge wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
bostonbrewer wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Just got another email about the Thomas F. Eaglescout scholarship for Diversity, and thought to myself, "well hey, maybe a white jewish guy from the midwest is considered "diverse" in the south. Then I opened up the instructions and Caucasian is not even an option under "Race/Ethnicity". I would have to check "Other" and write in "Caucasian". I think that's their way of subtly suggesting that "no, no Lebrarian_Booker, you do not count as "diverse".

I always thought STL was Midwest. Is it considered South?

Depends on how much of a snobbish northerner you are

checking in as a "snobbish northerner" who considers STL the midwest :o

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what ... e-midwest/

You guys might find this article interesting. And while I can concede that perhaps, just perhaps St. Louis is the Midwest, Missouri certainly registers as the South to me.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 am

STL isn't the South. STL, KC, and Columbia are all Midwestern. But I will grant that I consider STL on the border of the South. The southern half of Missouri gets pretty "down South" culturally pretty fast beyond the STL area.

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 am

Fiero85 wrote:STL isn't the South. STL, KC, and Columbia are all Midwestern. But I will grant that I consider STL on the border of the South. The southern half of Missouri gets pretty "down South" culturally pretty fast beyond the STL area.

you will quickly learn that "missouri" is the midwest but "missourah" is the south

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

peachesthedoge wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:STL isn't the South. STL, KC, and Columbia are all Midwestern. But I will grant that I consider STL on the border of the South. The southern half of Missouri gets pretty "down South" culturally pretty fast beyond the STL area.

you will quickly learn that "missouri" is the midwest but "missourah" is the south

As an Texan and big fan of college football, I think of Mizzou as amazingly southern, but maybe that's the SEC thing going on

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

peachesthedoge wrote:

Yeah that's pretty much the line lol

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm

St. Louis the city is pretty Midwestern culture-wise. But when you get out into the suburbs--and especially the exurbs like St. Charles--the culture gets pretty "Southern" actually.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:38 pm

JCougar wrote:

St. Louis the city is pretty Midwestern culture-wise. But when you get out into the suburbs--and especially the exurbs like St. Charles--the culture gets pretty "Southern" actually.

Hmm I don't consider St. Charles southern. I think the German style old brewing town vibes bar it from southern status. Same goes for STL as a whole I suppose. And that we actually get snow every year.

I think we can all agree that the Ozarks and the Bootheel are southern though. There's a lot of nuance since MO was one of the ole border states from the civil war.

Dredd_2017

Postby Dredd_2017 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:40 pm

JCougar wrote:

What exactly is the distinction between midwestern vs south, culture wise? Coming from the west coast I just kind of assume the whole middle of the country is pickups and barbeque (Not that either of those things are bad, especially barbeque!) besides Chicago.

yossarian71 wrote:In other news. Checking out. Withdrawn. Love you all.

Good luck wherever you go man!

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed May 07, 2014 12:44 pm

False, Columbia instantly turned southern when Mizzou went to the SEC.

St. Louis and KC are still mostly midwestern with a few southern sensibilities. I recently learned the St. Louis planned parenthood is the only one in the state. PROGRESS.

Also, south county St. Louis is pretty southern. I imagine Arnold is what most southern towns are like.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

What exactly is the distinction between midwestern vs south, culture wise? Coming from the west coast I just kind of assume the whole middle of the country is pickups and barbeque (Not that either of those things are bad, especially barbeque!) besides Chicago.

yossarian71 wrote:In other news. Checking out. Withdrawn. Love you all.

Good luck wherever you go man!

I'm drawing you a map, hold on

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed May 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Yeah, I'm with Dredd. I consider STL/Missouri to be Midwest, but I'm from California so west of Colorado means Midwest until you get to the East Coast and the South means you're touching the Gulf + a few outliers...like Arkansas and South Carolina

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Wed May 07, 2014 12:55 pm

This is the Midwest without a doubt.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed May 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Birdnals wrote:

False, Columbia instantly turned southern when Mizzou went to the SEC.

St. Louis and KC are still mostly midwestern with a few southern sensibilities. I recently learned the St. Louis planned parenthood is the only one in the state. PROGRESS.

Also, south county St. Louis is pretty southern. I imagine Arnold is what most southern towns are like.

Haha fair enough with Mizzou. But it's north of STL and Jeff City so it's hard for me to conceptualize.

And SO is from Arnold, I'm from south county. I agree Arnold and my home area would not stick out if transplanted to Tennessee or something similar.

And to Dredd and other west coast folks: the difference between Midwest and Southern culture in 2014 is super small. In fact, besides the weather and accents, and more Catholics vs more Protestants, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what state I'm in if I were helicopter dropped in any of the landlocked states in the Midwest/South.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:What exactly is the distinction between midwestern vs south, culture wise? Coming from the west coast I just kind of assume the whole middle of the country is pickups and barbeque (Not that either of those things are bad, especially barbeque!) besides Chicago.

Good question.

There's not a ton of difference between non-urban Midwestern and Southern culture.

They're basically the same, except for in the South, there's just additional racism, gay-hate, and you get married a few years younger--and thus divorced a few years younger as well. And there's more civil war reenacting. You will see a non-trivial amount of confederate flags in rural Missouri and even in some parts of suburban St. Louis. There's actually a pretty storied history about the city/suburbs cultural-political divide in St. Louis...and it's not all good.

Don't let that scare you, though. The city itself is pretty cool. And unless you're going hiking (there's a lot of beautiful places to hike out in the sticks), you have no reason to enter the cultural wasteland that I refer to.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 pm

JCougar wrote:
Dredd_2017 wrote:What exactly is the distinction between midwestern vs south, culture wise? Coming from the west coast I just kind of assume the whole middle of the country is pickups and barbeque (Not that either of those things are bad, especially barbeque!) besides Chicago.

Good question.

There's not a ton of difference between non-urban Midwestern and Southern culture.

They're basically the same, except for in the South, there's just additional racism, gay-hate, and you get married a few years younger--and thus divorced a few years younger as well. And there's more civil war reenacting. You will see a non-trivial amount of confederate flags in rural Missouri and even in some parts of suburban St. Louis. There's actually a pretty storied history about the city/suburbs cultural-political divide in St. Louis...and it's not all good.

Don't let that scare you, though. The city itself is pretty cool. And unless you're going hiking (there's a lot of beautiful places to hike out in the sticks), you have no reason to enter the cultural wasteland that I refer to.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Fiero85 wrote:And to Dredd and other west coast folks: the difference between Midwest and Southern culture in 2014 is super small. In fact, besides the weather and accents, and more Catholics vs more Protestants, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what state I'm in if I were helicopter dropped in any of the landlocked states in the Midwest/South.

Yeah, St. Louis city is very Catholic, just like most of the Midwest--if not moreso. Which means that the city overall has more progressive values when it comes to culture and especially economics. Even if the Catholic Church can be intolerant in some ways, the people in the pews are far less likely to take that seriously than are evangelicals/baptists.

With that said, I still think religion doesn't matter to most people in the city. It's a pretty tolerant place, and accepting of people from all walks of life. In a way, it's like the Austin of Texas--only not nearly with as much hip culture caché--and nowhere near the traffic problems.

JimmyFredette

Postby JimmyFredette » Wed May 07, 2014 1:14 pm

peachesthedoge wrote:

So if there were two of Missouri, would southerners call it Missourae while midwesterners who lived there call it Missourorum?

:lol:

JimmyFredette

Postby JimmyFredette » Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 pm

JimmyFredette wrote:
peachesthedoge wrote:

So if there were two of Missouri, would southerners call it Missourae while midwesterners who lived there call it Missourorum?

:lol:

Sorry, I'll stop talking now.

bostonbrewer

Postby bostonbrewer » Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 pm

All joking aside, this has actually been really useful as a Midwest/South primer, as someone who has never lived in either.

nickpapagiorgio

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

bostonbrewer wrote:All joking aside, this has actually been really useful as a Midwest/South primer, as someone who has never lived in either.

Speaking as a Southerner, we don't consider Missouri to be at all part of the South. I mean, it's right next to Illinois.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Image

What is that random dot in the middle of TX? I didn't know Abilene was so dead set on being yankee

bound

Postby bound » Wed May 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Looks like Austin.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 pm

rion91 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
accurateUSmap.png

What is that random dot in the middle of TX? I didn't know Abilene was so dead set on being yankee

That's Austin

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Lol out of staters (TX) are probably surprised how close Austin is to San Antonio, which is undeniably South Texas ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”