WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

chuckbass

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Yo Homes, smell ya later!

Scott, you are such a homer in that c/o 2017 thread.

Meaning?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:About to withdraw from Emory and am 99% sure that I will be joining you fine folk as an official WUSTLUT society founding member come Fall 2014. Just one question left now I guess. Who's looking for a roommate and how do I go about finding info on where I should look to live? I'm coming from Canada, so I may not get a chance to visit before arriving in the Fall, unfortunately

Yay! So happy :) Should I add you to the c/o 2017 thread as well? We need more wustl representation.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:About to withdraw from Emory and am 99% sure that I will be joining you fine folk as an official WUSTLUT society founding member come Fall 2014. Just one question left now I guess. Who's looking for a roommate and how do I go about finding info on where I should look to live? I'm coming from Canada, so I may not get a chance to visit before arriving in the Fall, unfortunately

Yay! So happy :) Should I add you to the c/o 2017 thread as well? We need more wustl representation.

Go for it, Scotti!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:43 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Go for it, Scotti!

Hooray! And as for rooming, I'm getting a studio since I just want my own place for 1L, but live near me in the CWE please :)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 pm

cusenation wrote:you guys get along too well, it's weird

[img]dafuq[/img]

This is just the calm before the hunger games begin.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Go for it, Scotti!

Hooray! And as for rooming, I'm getting a studio since I just want my own place for 1L, but live near me in the CWE please :)

I'm looking at the CWE right now, just trying to figure out what's a walkable distance. I'll probably bring my car, just don't feel like paying for a parking pass probably.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Forgot to say that I officially deposited at WUSTL! :lol:

meb1212

Postby meb1212 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:48 am

theycallmefoes wrote:Forgot to say that I officially deposited at WUSTL! :lol:

Congrats! :D

wittyhandle

Postby wittyhandle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 am

Yay! So happy :) Should I add you to the c/o 2017 thread as well? We need more wustl representation.[/quote]

Go for it, Scotti![/quote]
Hooray! And as for rooming, I'm getting a studio since I just want my own place for 1L, but live near me in the CWE please :)[/quote]

I'm looking at the CWE right now, just trying to figure out what's a walkable distance. I'll probably bring my car, just don't feel like paying for a parking pass probably.[/quote]

We get free metro passes so my plan is to bring my car but really only use it when I need to run errands or go visit the family and just take the metro to school everyday. That way I don't have to pay for campus parking.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:40 am

wittyhandle wrote:We get free metro passes so my plan is to bring my car but really only use it when I need to run errands or go visit the family and just take the metro to school everyday. That way I don't have to pay for campus parking.

Do you even need a metro pass? I didn't understand how open the metro system was. There wasn't really and gate or such to stop someone from just walking right in, nor was there anyone checking. I was confused...

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:41 am

wittyhandle wrote:
We get free metro passes so my plan is to bring my car but really only use it when I need to run errands or go visit the family and just take the metro to school everyday. That way I don't have to pay for campus parking.

I was going to probably follow the same plan. I'm coming from Montreal, where we have a pretty extensive Metro system, much like that of New York or other metropolitan cities and I was concerned over how accessible the school and other areas of the city would be to travel by Metro

wittyhandle

Postby wittyhandle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am

JustHawkin wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:We get free metro passes so my plan is to bring my car but really only use it when I need to run errands or go visit the family and just take the metro to school everyday. That way I don't have to pay for campus parking.

Do you even need a metro pass? I didn't understand how open the metro system was. There wasn't really and gate or such to stop someone from just walking right in, nor was there anyone checking. I was confused...

Warning: There was an open gate at one of the metro stops in Paris that everyone went through without using their tickets...and there were police waiting at the other end handing out 50Euro tickets. I know that is completely unlikely in St. Louis, but I learned my lesson on that and always use my card. :oops:

wittyhandle

Postby wittyhandle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:57 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:

I was going to probably follow the same plan. I'm coming from Montreal, where we have a pretty extensive Metro system, much like that of New York or other metropolitan cities and I was concerned over how accessible the school and other areas of the city would be to travel by Metro

From what I understand, getting to Wash U from CWE is super easy on the Metro, but I'm not sure about other places. Peaches?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:57 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
wittyhandle wrote:

I won't be bringing a car. The metro will take you from the CWE to school, and it is an east/west line so it also takes you downtown. It is not an extensive system however, but considering it's free, it's much cheaper for me to rely on it when I can and then just grab a cab or carshare if/when I need it.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:59 am

JustHawkin wrote:

I think we just need our wustl ID, which we'd all be regularly carrying around anyways.

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

I think we just need our wustl ID, which we'd all be regularly carrying around anyways.

in my experience as someone without a car who rides the metro all the time, security probably only checks passes 1/10 times or something. however, if you are caught without a pass, they will issue you a ticket and I believe you have to have a court date. Wash U students can pick up a free student metro pass at the beginning of the semester, so we will just need to have that pass and our student ID on us at all times. if you don't have both your student metro pass and your ID on you when they check you, they will give you a ticket.

hope you have a good tour today, kanye! :)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 am

I've already been and seen a million pics, but feel free to take pics and posts them Kanye. You'll love campus!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

Every WUSTL student gets a free metro pass, but you need to go to the parking services center to get the pass and you need to renew it every semester.

The metro system here is based on the honor system, there's no gate to check for tickets like in every other city NYC or Boston. But occasionally there are people who are on the train and walk around asking passengers to show they're ticket, and if you don't have one then there's a pretty hefty fine.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 am

cusenation wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

Every WUSTL student gets a free metro pass, but you need to go to the parking services center to get the pass and you need to renew it every semester.

The metro system here is based on the honor system, there's no gate to check for tickets like in every other city NYC or Boston. But occasionally there are people who are on the train and walk around asking passengers to show they're ticket, and if you don't have one then there's a pretty hefty fine.

So I guess if we move in at the beginning of August we have to just pay for the metro for a month?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:31 am

scottidsntknow wrote:So I guess if we move in at the beginning of August we have to just pay for the metro for a month?

yeah it depend on how early you can pick up your student ID's...I know you can pick them up on your own earlier instead of waiting until orientation but i forget how early

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 am

scottidsntknow wrote:So I guess if we move in at the beginning of August we have to just pay for the metro for a month?

I think orientation is tentatively scheduled to start around 8/18 or so, so maybe we can get the passes starting then. otherwise, it costs $2.25/each way; $25/week; or $72/month. if you're moving at the beginning of august and only paying for two weeks or so, you'd probably be better off just paying for one ride tickets, or a week pass if you think you'll be taking it at least 12 times/week (unlikely)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:34 am

Perfect, thanks! I'm not really worried about paying for it since it's cheap, but it's just good to know since I was curious. It's much cheaper than DC, so that's a plus.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Go for it, Scotti!

YAY for Canada and YAY for CWE!

We're about 99% sure we found a place in the CWE/DeBaliviere neighborhood. We're right on the border of CWE, but I think the cost may be a little less. It's less than a 20 min walk to the main area of CWE with the bars/restaurants, about a 10 min walk to the metro stop and there's a bus stop right nearby that goes straight to campus. Just in case you want to expand your search area. Some of the places in CWE were a little more expensive, but I was also looking for a 2 bedroom.

Dredd_2017

Postby Dredd_2017 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 pm

XO_MissCourtney wrote:We're about 99% sure we found a place in the CWE/DeBaliviere neighborhood. We're right on the border of CWE, but I think the cost may be a little less. It's less than a 20 min walk to the main area of CWE with the bars/restaurants, about a 10 min walk to the metro stop and there's a bus stop right nearby that goes straight to campus. Just in case you want to expand your search area. Some of the places in CWE were a little more expensive, but I was also looking for a 2 bedroom.

How much are rents for nice 2-bedrooms in CWE? You can only glean so much information from online listings when you're well over a thousand miles away! Also how long would it take to get to campus from there via bus?

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:
XO_MissCourtney wrote:We're about 99% sure we found a place in the CWE/DeBaliviere neighborhood. We're right on the border of CWE, but I think the cost may be a little less. It's less than a 20 min walk to the main area of CWE with the bars/restaurants, about a 10 min walk to the metro stop and there's a bus stop right nearby that goes straight to campus. Just in case you want to expand your search area. Some of the places in CWE were a little more expensive, but I was also looking for a 2 bedroom.

How much are rents for nice 2-bedrooms in CWE? You can only glean so much information from online listings when you're well over a thousand miles away! Also how long would it take to get to campus from there via bus?

You would probably want the metrolink (train) instead of bus. It's about a 6-8 minute train ride from Wash U to the CWE stop.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”