WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

Fiero85

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Attax wrote:Thanks. I've not gotten an invite to the facebook page yet (the Texas one was official at least). Any link if you don't mind sharing?

Oh definitely. I currently have tuition paid before any schollies to Texas, but with a Full ride and Texas not matching it I'd be running off to St. Louis! Good luck to you too on the $ game.

Saw your other post as I was trying to send this one and it wouldn't let me. Bummer. I've been to the area when I was younger though, but would like to visit again. Maybe, since my LSAT should be pretty desirable for them, I can make it leverage as "I can't really consider your school without visiting." Of course, with full scholly I'd def visit.

Yeah it wasn't official, see if this works https://www.facebook.com/groups/709494009061107/

Or you can find it earlier in this thread. "Chingwoo" was the nice person who put it together, so try searching their posts if you have trouble.

Yeah as with all negotiations for law school, just ask politely and use leverage when needed in a tasteful way. It can't hurt!

Hoping you can make it up here one way or another!

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Yeah it wasn't official, see if this works https://www.facebook.com/groups/709494009061107/

Or you can find it earlier in this thread. "Chingwoo" was the nice person who put it together, so try searching their posts if you have trouble.

Yeah as with all negotiations for law school, just ask politely and use leverage when needed in a tasteful way. It can't hurt!

Thanks a ton! you've been exceedingly helpful! I really appreciate you for not yelling at me for not using the search feature. I have never been able to figure out how they work!

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Attax wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:Welcome aboard. Ditto to your testimony. Anyone skeptical about St. Louis but with a good offer from WUSTL should visit if at all possible to get a feel for campus and the city. I think most people are pleasantly surprised!

My research seems to yield that St. Louis is like the Austin of the midwest? Any comments on said statement?

I'll preface this by saying I've never been to Austin (yet...I really want to visit Austin and San Antonio at some point soon!).

But from an outsiders perspective, I think that is a mostly fair comparison. I believe Austin has a reputation for being a fun, pleasant, and reasonably priced place to live, that combines urban and small town vibes/functions in a good way, just like St. Louis IME. Austin might be "hipper" in terms of the music scene and very very large college age population, but I think St. Louis fills a similar niche in our region. It is cheaper and less urban than Chicago (our big brother city, akin to Dallas for Austin I imagine) and like I mentioned, St. Louis has a small town vibe compared to Chicago. But we still have a fairly large metro area with various industries and things to do, all for an attractive cost of living.

I know I'm not being very specific, but what I mean to say is "Yes, I think so" lol

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Attax wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Thanks a ton! you've been exceedingly helpful! I really appreciate you for not yelling at me for not using the search feature. I have never been able to figure out how they work!

Haha yeah I see that a lot, but I think the search function is fairly clumsy in most instances so I try to just help a brother out :) . So no problem, I'm trying to get to know people who may come to WUSTL with me, and I got plenty of time before my school/work actually get fired up again in a few weeks. Glad to help. Good luck waiting on the $$$

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
I'll preface this by saying I've never been to Austin (yet...I really want to visit Austin and San Antonio at some point soon!).

But from an outsiders perspective, I think that is a mostly fair comparison. I believe Austin has a reputation for being a fun, pleasant, and reasonably priced place to live, that combines urban and small town vibes/functions in a good way, just like St. Louis IME. Austin might be "hipper" in terms of the music scene and very very large college age population, but I think St. Louis fills a similar niche in our region. It is cheaper and less urban than Chicago (our big brother city, akin to Dallas for Austin I imagine) and like I mentioned, St. Louis has a small town vibe compared to Chicago. But we still have a fairly large metro area with various industries and things to do, all for an attractive cost of living.

I know I'm not being very specific, but what I mean to say is "Yes, I think so" lol

Very good answer! It'd be hard to leave a city like Austin, but for somewhere similar that would be a nice situation. It seems to be a fair description, but yeah Austin is super hippy. But very laid back, yet has its sense of professionalism. Everyone is doing their own thing and not simply conforming to a way of life because the city tends to dictate it. Of course, Austin has a huge sense of hippiness to it. While some of my best friends are of the hipster variety and I am more of a city boy with a country boy background and that just makes me even more getting along with them.

I've also lived in Chicago. Nice city, but St. Louis sounds like it'd be great and similar to Austin!

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Attax wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Very good answer! It'd be hard to leave a city like Austin, but for somewhere similar that would be a nice situation. It seems to be a fair description, but yeah Austin is super hippy. But very laid back, yet has its sense of professionalism. Everyone is doing their own thing and not simply conforming to a way of life because the city tends to dictate it. Of course, Austin has a huge sense of hippiness to it. While some of my best friends are of the hipster variety and I am more of a city boy with a country boy background and that just makes me even more getting along with them.

I've also lived in Chicago. Nice city, but St. Louis sounds like it'd be great and similar to Austin!

That all makes sense to me! I think from your description you'd do just fine here.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Haha yeah I see that a lot, but I think the search function is fairly clumsy in most instances so I try to just help a brother out :) . So no problem, I'm trying to get to know people who may come to WUSTL with me, and I got plenty of time before my school/work actually get fired up again in a few weeks. Glad to help. Good luck waiting on the $$$

Hi Fiero. I'm Ricky-Bobby, from the east side of the river (not there, think further east and a whole lot more redneck). I went to NYC once and it scared me.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Hi Fiero. I'm Ricky-Bobby, from the east side of the river (not there, think further east and a whole lot more redneck). I went to NYC once and it scared me.

Haha I feel ya, some people don't realize that besides the quite small area of true "East St. Louis" the metro east is mostly rural and small suburbs. I've yet to go to NYC but I think I would be very out of place too. I enjoy my Midwest lifestyle and city very much.

lawskewl13

Postby lawskewl13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Do you think someone from NYC would have a hard time adapting? WUSTL is a top choice for me but I live in New York and would be a bit nervous about the transition...

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:12 pm

lawskewl13 wrote:Do you think someone from NYC would have a hard time adapting? WUSTL is a top choice for me but I live in New York and would be a bit nervous about the transition...

No not at all, I was just kidding about being scared in NYC (sort of).

The only thing you'll have to adapt to is being further away from everything. There's the Metrolink in the city to help you get around, but there's a reason everyone around here has cars.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:Do you think someone from NYC would have a hard time adapting? WUSTL is a top choice for me but I live in New York and would be a bit nervous about the transition...

The only thing you'll have to adapt to is being further away from everything. There's the Metrolink in the city to help you get around, but there's a reason everyone around here has cars.

To follow up on this, let me give an example.

I live about 50 miles from the Mississippi river on the Illinois side. I have no problem driving this distance to school every day because it will only take me about an hour and some change (depending on when I leave, gotta love that bridge crossing at rush hour). I might use the free Metrolink pass we supposedly get as Wash U students and park at the furthest-East station. I do love my morning drives, though...

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Attax wrote:Thanks. I've not gotten an invite to the facebook page yet (the Texas one was official at least). Any link if you don't mind sharing?

Oh definitely. I currently have tuition paid before any schollies to Texas, but with a Full ride and Texas not matching it I'd be running off to St. Louis! Good luck to you too on the $ game.

Saw your other post as I was trying to send this one and it wouldn't let me. Bummer. I've been to the area when I was younger though, but would like to visit again. Maybe, since my LSAT should be pretty desirable for them, I can make it leverage as "I can't really consider your school without visiting." Of course, with full scholly I'd def visit.

Yeah, I emailed admissions asking about the page and they said that someone usually makes it sooner or later, so I figured I would do it since TLS has a pretty big WUSTL presence.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:42 pm

chingwoo wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Yeah, I emailed admissions asking about the page and they said that someone usually makes it sooner or later, so I figured I would do it since TLS has a pretty big WUSTL presence.

Thanks for making it. I'm the skydiving person in my profile picture, for those of you wondering.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

Yeah I mean it's not gonna be like moving from NYC to Billings, Montana. It's medium sized city and a fairly large metro area (2 million give or take). STL has plenty of large-city-like features too.

But Ricky Bobby is very on point about public transit. STL has a negligible amount of it compared to NYC/DC etc. I couldn't live here without a car because I live south of work/school and the metro train only goes east-west.

If you have a more specific adjustment question feel free to let 'er rip, but generally I really think most people would be fine, if not enjoy it

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Damn, 3 WUSTL-related emails today. Lol no wustl, I haven't forgotten you, just make sure the office of financial aid has my email address as well

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 pm

burtmacklin wrote:Damn, 3 WUSTL-related emails today. Lol no wustl, I haven't forgotten you, just make sure the office of financial aid has my email address as well

Was one from your current student pen pal? Because I got one from the admissions office telling me I was assigned a pen pal, and then one from the 1L who was told to write to me. Poor guy.

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Attax wrote:
chingwoo wrote:Yeah, I emailed admissions asking about the page and they said that someone usually makes it sooner or later, so I figured I would do it since TLS has a pretty big WUSTL presence.

Thanks for making it. I'm the skydiving person in my profile picture, for those of you wondering.

Yeah thanks man, it's already got a decent membership, and I imagine it'll grow as the cycle continues.

(Feel free to join people, the link is above!)

@Attax I see you started at UT Law school in 2014. Not so fast my friend :) . The WUSTL $$$ Gods may look kindly upon you!

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm

regarding transportation, I just wanted to say that I've managed to survive here without a car (with occasional help from my SO and friends). pretty much everywhere I go is either walking distance or on the metrolink line, and I've heard that the metrobus reaches out even farther, though I've never had to take it.

my point is, if you don't have a car, you don't need to rule out Wash U for that reason. plus, as someone mentioned before, students get a free metropass!
Last edited by peachesthedoge on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
burtmacklin wrote:Damn, 3 WUSTL-related emails today. Lol no wustl, I haven't forgotten you, just make sure the office of financial aid has my email address as well

Was one from your current student pen pal? Because I got one from the admissions office telling me I was assigned a pen pal, and then one from the 1L who was told to write to me. Poor guy.

Yeah one email saying I was matched up with a faculty member and a student, one from the student (with whom I also shared an alma mater, I assume that's the MO) and one from career services

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Yeah thanks man, it's already got a decent membership, and I imagine it'll grow as the cycle continues.

(Feel free to join people, the link is above!)

@Attax I see you started at UT Law school in 2014. Not so fast my friend :) . The WUSTL $$$ Gods may look kindly upon you!

It does have a decent membership. I wasn't planning on joining any others, and got a bit zealous after my UT acceptance. Going to take it off so that way adcomms at places don't see it and try to lowball me.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 pm

lawskewl13

Postby lawskewl13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Good to know that it wouldn't be a crazy adjustment (other than having to have a car most likely)

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm

lawskewl13 wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone! Good to know that it wouldn't be a crazy adjustment (other than having to have a car most likely)

I definitely wouldn't worry about a car at first. Like others have said, it's possible to get around without one, and I'm sure you can con some of your classmates to give you a ride if you really need to get somewhere.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”