WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

peaches9848

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby peaches9848 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Chinese_Mafia wrote:
JimmyFredette wrote:
rion91 wrote:

We want to keep you updated on the status of your application because we understand you are facing difficult decisions right now. As you know, you have been placed on the waitlist for Washington University School of Law.

We appreciate your interest in attending. Unfortunately, the admissions committee is now confident that they will not be able to re-consider your application until after our June 1st second deposit deadline.

We understand that many schools have deposit deadlines in the near future and we want to be sure you are fully informed so that you do not miss the opportunity to secure your seat at other schools.

If you wish to withdraw your application from consideration in light of this information, please do so by responding to this email.

I wish I had better news for you right now. Although the admissions committee is not currently able to admit you from the waitlist, they are impressed with your application. If you attend another school in the fall of 2014, we do invite you to consider transferring to Washington University School of Law as a 2L. We will begin accepting applications for transfer admission by January 2015.

I received the same email today.

Couple thoughts...

1. Does this mean that they made a round of WL admits after April 15?

2. The wording is pretty strong. Did anyone else get an update that was worded more optimistically?

I received this email today also.

---->1. I don't think they have vacancy at this point.
---->2. Except for my name, exactly the same wording. I guess somebody really bothered the admission office with waitlist decisions.

+1
WUSTL apparently has a good track record of admitting a good number of WL candidates - there's nothing in the email that says that there isn't a chance. I doubt they have accepted some people, if at all, given that the 1st deposit deadline wasn't even a week ago (and because of the time it takes to process deposits, etc.)

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

peaches9848 wrote:

+1
WUSTL apparently has a good track record of admitting a good number of WL candidates - there's nothing in the email that says that there isn't a chance. I doubt they have accepted some people, if at all, given that the 1st deposit deadline wasn't even a week ago (and because of the time it takes to process deposits, etc.)

I found somebody on LSN got off WUSTL wait list recently but their file complete date is way before Feb.

Still hoping.

peaches9848

Postby peaches9848 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Chinese_Mafia wrote:
peaches9848 wrote:

+1

I found somebody on LSN got off WUSTL wait list recently but their file complete date is way before Feb.

Still hoping.

Hm, is that person an international applicant by any chance? Not that it matters, but just curious if they are trying to fill the "international" seats as needed first?

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm

peaches9848 wrote:
Chinese_Mafia wrote:
peaches9848 wrote:

+1

Still hoping.

Hm, is that person an international applicant by any chance? Not that it matters, but just curious if they are trying to fill the "international" seats as needed first?

It is international but not considered as URM.....I am international thou but I receive my education here in the US.

peaches9848

Postby peaches9848 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm not great at following LSN regularly, but I only see one person who has been accepted off the WL, but he/she withdrew (160/3.4).

bound

Postby bound » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Has anyone from April ASW gotten their stipend yet?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm

bound wrote:Has anyone from April ASW gotten their stipend yet?

Not from April ASW, but I visted the last week in March and got my stipend in ~2 weeks.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Most 'international applicants' actually pay sticker. The bar for admission for them is going to be lower, because they are the ones that are paying for the TLS'er with a full ride. When medians are secure, that's who I'd expect to be getting the first admits from the waitlist. Schollie money starts going out to people on the waitlist who are near the medians when those medians come in danger. It's not uncommon for international applicants who can pay the full sticker price to indicate that in their application materials.

If a 153/3.72 international applicant is getting in, it means that they feel confident in their LSAT median and the 3.72 is probably around the GPA median so it won't move that at all, so they are taking the money.

I mean, it is also possible that it's a holistic admissions process that takes many things into account and judges the complete candidate...

I'd say that this means that splitters might not have a great time on the waitlist, but who knows what the movement is going to look like on that front.

peaches9848

Postby peaches9848 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Most 'international applicants' actually pay sticker. The bar for admission for them is going to be lower, because they are the ones that are paying for the TLS'er with a full ride. When medians are secure, that's who I'd expect to be getting the first admits from the waitlist. Schollie money starts going out to people on the waitlist who are near the medians when those medians come in danger. It's not uncommon for international applicants who can pay the full sticker price to indicate that in their application materials.

If a 153/3.72 international applicant is getting in, it means that they feel confident in their LSAT median and the 3.72 is probably around the GPA median so it won't move that at all, so they are taking the money.

I mean, it is also possible that it's a holistic admissions process that takes many things into account and judges the complete candidate...

I'd say that this means that splitters might not have a great time on the waitlist, but who knows what the movement is going to look like on that front.

That makes sense - just wondering, are international applicants only those who apply from a foreign institution? I'm not a US citizen, but have permanent residency, so what would that make candidates like myself?

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Most 'international applicants' actually pay sticker. The bar for admission for them is going to be lower, because they are the ones that are paying for the TLS'er with a full ride. When medians are secure, that's who I'd expect to be getting the first admits from the waitlist. Schollie money starts going out to people on the waitlist who are near the medians when those medians come in danger. It's not uncommon for international applicants who can pay the full sticker price to indicate that in their application materials.

I totally agree what you said.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Anyone want to guess what LSAT median they are shooting for? I'll go 166. Also curious what the class size will look like.
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

peaches9848 wrote:

That makes sense - just wondering, are international applicants only those who apply from a foreign institution? I'm not a US citizen, but have permanent residency, so what would that make candidates like myself?

You are viewed as domestic applicant. International applicants are those who either apply outside of United States or who received education in the US but residency resides home country, such as myself.

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone want to guess what LSAT median they are shooting for? I'll go 166. Also curious what the class size will look like.

165-166 ish.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone want to guess what LSAT median they are shooting for? I'll go 166. Also curious what the class size will look like.

I'm guessing 166, and I think they seem comfortable with their LSAT median at the moment. I'm thinking the GPA might move down to a 3.60.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 pm

peaches9848 wrote:

Here, 'international applicant' is code word for a rich kid from overseas. Most commonly, but definitely not exclusively, China. And different from the LLM program. Often treasured for the fact that GPA's from foreign institutions normally don't count towards GPA medians.

A school looks for three things:
1) Numbers to help medians
2) People who can pay tuition without hurting the medians
3) Amazing softs.

Then you get into the waitlist. Where are the medians at? Do we need a bit more LSAT, a bit more GPA? How many people just below these medians can we take? How much space will we have in our classes? Once it gets later in the application season and they've determined their class size, they'll offer waitlist spots as people who deposited get in off waitlists elsewhere.

Movement has been high in the past few years - plummeting applicants, and WUSTL in particular didn't seem to have a good plan in place for that and shot too high at first. This led to them recovering from that by shoveling money at people, which luckily they had. It feels like they have a better handle on things this year. Last year they did the full ride bonanza at a late minute, and in my year (I'm currently a 2L) they took a TON of people in off waitlists with huge amounts of scholarships - It was actually a huge benefit for your scholly if you applied later in the year as they got desperate.

I really don't know what it's like this year (haven't been paying attention) but it looks like a 3.7 GPA / 165 LSAT for the medians based on the wall on LSN.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Here, 'international applicant' is code word for a rich kid from overseas. Most commonly, but definitely not exclusively, China. And different from the LLM program. Often treasured for the fact that GPA's from foreign institutions normally don't count towards GPA medians.

Where did you hear this? I'm a super splitter with a really low GPA from a foreign (Canada) institution and am a Canadian citizen. I was worried that my low GPA may keep me out of some places, but if it wouldn't affect their medians it would likely have less of a deterring factor. I'm considering waiting and reapplying so if this is the case then that may add some weight to the waiting side of the equation

Chinese_Mafia

Postby Chinese_Mafia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
peaches9848 wrote:

Here, 'international applicant' is code word for a rich kid from overseas. Most commonly, but definitely not exclusively, China. And different from the LLM program. Often treasured for the fact that GPA's from foreign institutions normally don't count towards GPA medians.

A school looks for three things:
1) Numbers to help medians
2) People who can pay tuition without hurting the medians
3) Amazing softs.

Then you get into the waitlist. Where are the medians at? Do we need a bit more LSAT, a bit more GPA? How many people just below these medians can we take? How much space will we have in our classes? Once it gets later in the application season and they've determined their class size, they'll offer waitlist spots as people who deposited get in off waitlists elsewhere.

Movement has been high in the past few years - plummeting applicants, and WUSTL in particular didn't seem to have a good plan in place for that and shot too high at first. This led to them recovering from that by shoveling money at people, which luckily they had. It feels like they have a better handle on things this year. Last year they did the full ride bonanza at a late minute, and in my year (I'm currently a 2L) they took a TON of people in off waitlists with huge amounts of scholarships - It was actually a huge benefit for your scholly if you applied later in the year as they got desperate.

I really don't know what it's like this year (haven't been paying attention) but it looks like a 3.7 GPA / 165 LSAT for the medians based on the wall on LSN.

:wink:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Randomnumbers wrote: but it looks like a 3.7 GPA / 165 LSAT for the medians based on the wall on LSN.

ugh....i remember having to beg and grovel for a 66k scholly with a 169 my first cycle...ah the good 'ol days.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:Here, 'international applicant' is code word for a rich kid from overseas. Most commonly, but definitely not exclusively, China. And different from the LLM program. Often treasured for the fact that GPA's from foreign institutions normally don't count towards GPA medians.

Where did you hear this? I'm a super splitter with a really low GPA from a foreign (Canada) institution and am a Canadian citizen. I was worried that my low GPA may keep me out of some places, but if it wouldn't affect their medians it would likely have less of a deterring factor. I'm considering waiting and reapplying so if this is the case then that may add some weight to the waiting side of the equation

It's LSAC gpa that matters for medians. And most foreigners don't have LSAC GPA's. Sadly for you, Canadians do. See http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... cated-apps for details.

(If you are a super splitter enough, WUSTL doesn't care about your GPA at all though, as I'm sure you've discovered. Us splitters do well here.)

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:

It's LSAC gpa that matters for medians. And most foreigners don't have LSAC GPA's. Sadly for you, Canadians do. See http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... cated-apps for details.

(If you are a super splitter enough, WUSTL doesn't care about your GPA at all though, as I'm sure you've discovered. Us splitters do well here.)

Good info nonetheless, thanks for clearing that up

PrideandGlory1776

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 am

Hmm International move is interesting indeed
Last edited by PrideandGlory1776 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

bostonbrewer

Postby bostonbrewer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
bostonbrewer wrote:Everytime I forget to read TLS for a couple days I come back and am like four inside jokes behind :(

Yea you're such an adult, not TLSing at work ;)

Give me a couple weeks once I've quit my job and am just chilling at home....I'll be back

meb1212

Postby meb1212 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 am

bostonbrewer wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
bostonbrewer wrote:Everytime I forget to read TLS for a couple days I come back and am like four inside jokes behind :(

Give me a couple weeks once I've quit my job and am just chilling at home....I'll be back

I'm just hoping that once I quit my job I don't fall into some sort of complete internet psychosis.
When are you done working bb?

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am

meb1212 wrote:
bostonbrewer wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

I'm just hoping that once I quit my job I don't fall into some sort of complete internet psychosis.

I'll be working up through orientation :(

meb1212

Postby meb1212 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am

Attax wrote:
meb1212 wrote:I'm just hoping that once I quit my job I don't fall into some sort of complete internet psychosis.

I'll be working up through orientation :(

...ew

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”