WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

acc123

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby acc123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:13 pm

stellaaa wrote:first post on this board, hoping to get some advice since i have no clue what to do, and my only friend in the legal world is pretty wustl-biased. my question is how valuable an education at a school like wustl is vs. a lesser school? wustl is the best school i applied to, and there are many reasons why i feel it'd be a good fit. but it's also the most expensive school, and they have only offered 10k. now i'm comparing this to my other offers, which are 35-40k at lesser schools (schools in the 40's, 50's range per USN, which i know is a crock, but nonetheless...).

i find myself in a position where i can go to a lesser school for a total tuition debt over 3 years of approx. 40-50k, max. or i can go to wustl for a total tuition debt of 120-30k. that makes me gasp, as it should. now, my only friend who is in law school and a resource for all of this, is someone who was faced with more or less the same choice as i was, and made the decision to go to wustl, massive debt and all. she doesn't regret it one bit, and assures me that it's worth the school status as far as markets you can potentially find jobs in, salaries, and education. what are your thoughts? i've tried negotiating but haven't heard anything yet. i would love to go to wustl if it would really dramatically affect the end-game (jobs), but i don't want to shoot myself in the foot and take out an insurmountable amount of debt.

thanks in advance!

Just putting this out there, your debt is gonna be a lot high at all of these places because you don't seem to be considering COL with the COA. Add another $20-25k/year for food and rent and other random shit that always comes up

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:16 pm

bostonbrewer

Postby bostonbrewer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm

stellaaa wrote:first post on this board, hoping to get some advice since i have no clue what to do, and my only friend in the legal world is pretty wustl-biased. my question is how valuable an education at a school like wustl is vs. a lesser school? wustl is the best school i applied to, and there are many reasons why i feel it'd be a good fit. but it's also the most expensive school, and they have only offered 10k. now i'm comparing this to my other offers, which are 35-40k at lesser schools (schools in the 40's, 50's range per USN, which i know is a crock, but nonetheless...).

i find myself in a position where i can go to a lesser school for a total tuition debt over 3 years of approx. 40-50k, max. or i can go to wustl for a total tuition debt of 120-30k. that makes me gasp, as it should. now, my only friend who is in law school and a resource for all of this, is someone who was faced with more or less the same choice as i was, and made the decision to go to wustl, massive debt and all. she doesn't regret it one bit, and assures me that it's worth the school status as far as markets you can potentially find jobs in, salaries, and education. what are your thoughts? i've tried negotiating but haven't heard anything yet. i would love to go to wustl if it would really dramatically affect the end-game (jobs), but i don't want to shoot myself in the foot and take out an insurmountable amount of debt.

thanks in advance!

What are your goals after law school and what are your other choices?

stellaaa

Postby stellaaa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:28 pm

acc123 wrote:

thanks in advance!

Just putting this out there, your debt is gonna be a lot high at all of these places because you don't seem to be considering COL with the COA. Add another $20-25k/year for food and rent and other random shit that always comes up

agreed, that's why i used the phrase "tuition debt." as someone who is from STL originally, the cost of living is a HUGE perk, but i also have a similar cost of living available at some of the lesser-ranked schools where i have good scholarship opportunities. so i'm trying to kind of consider tuition debt as its own thing in order to decide what's "worth" it, but i don't really have anyone i know that's in the industry and can give me a good idea of whether or not wustl is worth that much debt.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 pm

stellaaa wrote:
acc123 wrote:

thanks in advance!

agreed, that's why i used the phrase "tuition debt." as someone who is from STL originally, the cost of living is a HUGE perk, but i also have a similar cost of living available at some of the lesser-ranked schools where i have good scholarship opportunities. so i'm trying to kind of consider tuition debt as its own thing in order to decide what's "worth" it, but i don't really have anyone i know that's in the industry and can give me a good idea of whether or not wustl is worth that much debt.

Going back to your original post.

I assume your scholarship numbers are yearly amounts? If so, how are you getting WUSTL down to $120-130K - are you using personal savings/family help? WUSTL's sticker price will be >$260,000 for Class of 2017 if the education/living is financed entirely through loans. So a total scholarship of $30K, I'd estimate your tuition debt at repayment to be around $145-150K without a bar loan or any living/miscellaneous expenses.

Without knowing your stats, I would say WUSTL at an actual $120K cost is an okay option but this is completely contingent on your target market being the central US and your target job being a private firm gig (of any size). I can't comment on your T60 and T50 options without knowing which schools they are and what career path and market [read city] you're shooting for.

Also, what was your friend's job outcome and her/his debt that made her/him feel comfortable? Just because your friend did it or is doing it doesn't mean you will with the same ease/luck.

stellaaa

Postby stellaaa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 pm

bostonbrewer wrote:

thanks in advance!

What are your goals after law school and what are your other choices?

goal is to work in health law, would like to be competitive in multiple markets and not limit myself geographically, which is why i'm wary of my other top choices right now. i feel like wustl may have much more reach, job- and salary-wise, than my other options i'm strongly considering - richmond, ohio state, or tulane.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

St. Louis University is a very solid school for health law (not much else, though.) That would've been a good option with a full scholarship.

WUSTL will travel better than all the schools you listed (that's not saying much) but ideally you would go to an NYU, Penn, or really any T14 if you were looking for a portable health-law-concentrated JD.

stellaaa

Postby stellaaa » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm

snagglepuss wrote:
stellaaa wrote:
acc123 wrote:

thanks in advance!

Going back to your original post.

I assume your scholarship numbers are yearly amounts? If so, how are you getting WUSTL down to $120-130K - are you using personal savings/family help? WUSTL's sticker price will be >$260,000 for Class of 2017 if the education/living is financed entirely through loans. So a total scholarship of $30K, I'd estimate your tuition debt at repayment to be around $145-150K without a bar loan or any living/miscellaneous expenses.

Without knowing your stats, I would say WUSTL at an actual $120K cost is an okay option but this is completely contingent on your target market being the central US and your target job being a private firm gig (of any size). I can't comment on your T60 and T50 options without knowing which schools they are and what career path and market [read city] you're shooting for.

Also, what was your friend's job outcome and her/his debt that made her/him feel comfortable? Just because your friend did it or is doing it doesn't mean you will with the same ease/luck.

thanks for the input, really appreciate it! i have savings from being employed for a while now and would likely be able to work at my old job in STL a weekend or two a month if i really needed to, and cover cost of living. so i'm kind of considering that separately, and just looking at tuition at this time.

i'm not insanely picky about the job market thing, but would like more flexibility than i think my other options would afford me - tulane, ohio state, and richmond. i'm from STL and not opposed to ending up there again at all. and i totally agree about my friend, which is another factor making me wary. she is going to be doing art/museum law in nyc, and has about the same amount of debt that i would expect to end up with.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 pm

acc123 wrote:

thanks in advance!

Really hard to answer without more information (i.e. Where do you want to practice, how will you be paying for COL, what schools you are considering, etc.). But yeah ACC is right, if you are paying for COL with loans your total will be more like ~200K for WASHU which is definately a bad idea.

ETA: scooped
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

stellaaa wrote:thanks for the input, really appreciate it! i have ...

...she is going to be doing art/museum law in nyc, and has about the same amount of debt that i would expect to end up with.

I'd love to hear more about art/museum law as I imagine that's a fairly uncommon outcome (one I never even thought of) - interesting.

FWIW, I like WUSTL the most out of your choices with your goals and hometown being STL assuming your cost estimates are correct. Good luck with your decision.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
acc123 wrote:

thanks in advance!

Really hard to answer without more information (i.e. Where do you want to practice, how will you be paying for COL, what schools you are considering, etc.). But yeah ACC is right, if you are paying for COL with loans your total will be more like ~200K for WASHU which is definately a bad idea.

If you're only looking at how much tuition would cost you, you're still underestimating (in your op 120-30K), if your scholarship was 10k for all three years, you're looking at at least 150k by the time you begin to repay your loans.
Last edited by ZGr88n on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Did anyone try to negotiate or ask for more money? Were you successful? Please let me know. PM me if you want.

futurelawstudent14

Postby futurelawstudent14 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:22 pm

What are we supposed to wear thurs/fri?

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Waitlisted. :( So depressing.
Last edited by rion91 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graybee08

Postby graybee08 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Just got waitlisted. Anybody else notified today?

hk227

Postby hk227 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Waitlisted... I think I'm gona end up sitting this cycle out

EJL123

Postby EJL123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Just got the waitlist email on April Fool's Day of all days. Bummer. WUSTL was in my Top 3 and would've been a serious contender with a considerable scholarship. LSAT around Median and GPA > 75th. Had my Skype interview two weeks ago.

I will be withdrawing from WUSTL and submitting a deposit elsewhere so hopefully that opens up a spot on the waitlist for someone else.

(Not an April Fool's joke btw; I wish the waitlist email was a joke lol. But it seems like the WUSTL waitlist email is the real deal).

Good luck everyone!

couchpizza

Postby couchpizza » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:08 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I got the email as well, but it sounds like there is hope after the first deposit :)

My thoughts exactly. They just said we won't update you until after the deposit deadline. I think we will score a bump once money frees up from people accepting other offers.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Any of the people withdrawing due to this news care to divulge where they are still considering? Just curious.

Oh and Good luck! Follow your dreams!. Had to try it.

I didn't withdraw because of this, but I deposited at Texas. Only two still in the running, Texas and NU.

thanks in advance!

I was in a similar position. WUSTL vs UT. I think that, unless you're biglaw or bust, the smarter option is to take the less debt. That's what I'm doing at UT and no way would WUSTL come close. I'll have minimal debt after LS. I think that any regional school (Texas, WUSTL, or lesser ranked) is just that: a solid regional school. Granted, some will have farther reach, but if it is in the region you want to work, you aren't only for biglaw, and the $ is right that it is ridiculous to put yourself in a position where you absolutely MUST get biglaw to stay afloat amidst the debt. But that's just my 2 cents.

rion91 wrote:Waitlisted. :( So depressing.

Sorry to hear :( I'd imagine that those who applied close to the deadline (which seems to be many who were WL) probably should have gotten in, but they need to wait until after the first deposit to see how many spots are available.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 pm

I am so sad :'(

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Good thing I decided against approaching them just yet, just got an email offering me 75K in scholarships (same as Emory). I wonder if they would consider bumping based off an identical offer haha

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Sorry, guy.

Condolences to all the WL folks. It's better than a ding, but I get it that most of you won't ride the list.

BlackCanary

Postby BlackCanary » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

What's the consensus on dress code for this weekend? I need to do laundry.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm

BlackCanary wrote:What's the consensus on dress code for this weekend? I need to do laundry.

We had jeans up to suits at ours. I wore business casual Thursday because I came from work, and then on Friday I wore business casual because I was too lazy to wash my jeans.

eta: don't wear a suit or the female skirt equivalent of that. It's not needed and people will confuse you with faculty.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
BlackCanary wrote:What's the consensus on dress code for this weekend? I need to do laundry.

We had jeans up to suits at ours. I wore business casual Thursday because I came from work, and then on Friday I wore business casual because I was too lazy to wash my jeans.

eta: don't wear a suit or the female skirt equivalent of that. It's not needed and people will confuse you with faculty.

+1 to all this

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”