WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

chuckbass

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:55 am

meb1212 wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:I think to accept the scholarship you just have to deposit, to accept the financial aid (loans), you have to print out, sign, and mail the PDF they emailed you.

Thanks. That's what I thought. But after all the award letter signing talk I wanted to see if I has missed anything.

Yes but your scholarship is also listed on the fin aid letter, and you have to circle it and accept it. You just have to do this before August 1 I think though.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:56 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
meb1212 wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:I think to accept the scholarship you just have to deposit, to accept the financial aid (loans), you have to print out, sign, and mail the PDF they emailed you.

Thanks. That's what I thought. But after all the award letter signing talk I wanted to see if I has missed anything.

Yes but your scholarship is also listed on the fin aid letter, and you have to circle it and accept it. You just have to do this before August 1 I think though.

thumbs up

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:56 am

So, I just looked on the website and apparently WUSTL requires you to fill out its own financial aid application in addition to the FAFSA to receive loans (if I understand correctly). Am I the only one that missed this?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:57 am

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:So, I just looked on the website and apparently WUSTL requires you to fill out its own financial aid application in addition to the FAFSA to receive loans (if I understand correctly). Am I the only one that missed this?

Yes, you have to do both... And no, I read the directions... :|

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:So, I just looked on the website and apparently WUSTL requires you to fill out its own financial aid application in addition to the FAFSA to receive loans (if I understand correctly). Am I the only one that missed this?

I missed it too but they sent me a reminder email with a link to that app. Fill it out....that's definitely why you haven't gotten your award yet.

BlackCanary

Postby BlackCanary » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

Austinbound wrote:I don't think that the financial aid award has to be returned by the seat deposit deadline though, does it?

July 1st

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

scottidsntknow wrote:

Yes, you have to do both... And no, I read the directions... :|

Is that something you do after acceptance?

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 pm

thevuch wrote:
vanora wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Do we need to accept the offer first and then place the deposit? When I check WashU admitted portal, it seems we do need to first say whether we accept the offer and then place the deposit~any suggestions?

You pay the seat deposit through the admitted students portal, then you have through June or something to accept your scholly package.

Yes but he/she means that before you pay the deposit, you accept the offer of admission, which differs than the offer of monies.

So I did a little research on this the other day because I have a couple of schools with deposits due April 1 and a couple with deposits due April 15. I found this information from searching through the forums and a couple of other sources, but they only way you'll know for sure is if you call the school in question.

It is basically widely accepted to accept offers of admission from multiple schools and pay multiple deposits during the first seat deposit phase. They aren't considered binding, especially because sometimes you have to pay the deposit to keep your scholarship or you're trying to get off the waitlist somewhere but don't want to lose your spot somewhere else or any other number of reasons.

However, you can only make one seat deposit in the second round. After the second seat deposit, a list goes out to the schools identifying who has accepted admission at different schools and if your name comes up for more that one school you could potentially lose your spot and scholarship at both schools. For example: on the admitted students page for WUSTL under deposit information it states "Scholarship recipients may not have deposits/seat reservations at multiple law schools after the second deposit deadline. Doing so may risk the loss of your scholarship from Washington University School of Law."

So basically, if you haven't been able to completely decide on a school by the time first seat deposits are due, you can pay the seat deposit at more than one school. More than likely, that money is non-refundable. So it sucks that you may pay $300-$500 to a school and then decide not to go there, but in the long run, it's only $300-$500. I spend more than that on shoes. :wink:

Schools should be very clear about their policy on multiple deposits, so I would check the admitted students page for any school you are considering depositing at. And the best way to know for sure is to call the school.

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:From mine: The Financial Aid Committee reviewed your application for assistance and makes the following aid award for the entire 2014-15 academic year. Unless otherwise indicated, your award is based on full-time student status. Please indicate whether you wish to accept or decline each part of this award by circling Yes or No on the appropriate line(s) below. Please print a copy of this letter, sign, date and return it to the School of Law. If your award includes a loan and you wish to reduce the loan amount, write in and initial the amount that you wish to borrow. Loan awards are tentative. Final eligibility is determined by the Washington University Financial Aid Office and the lending institutions.

Dear esrom55-

Do you want to be my boyfriend. Circle

Yes or No

Sincerely,

WUSTL

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Did anyone get help filling out the WUSTL aid application, or are there directions/explanations anywhere? I'm running into questions where I just don't really understand what the hell they mean.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Did anyone get help filling out the WUSTL aid application, or are there directions/explanations anywhere? I'm running into questions where I just don't really understand what the hell they mean.

Questions like what? I thought it was a simple form.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm

esrom55 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:From mine: The Financial Aid Committee reviewed your application for assistance and makes the following aid award for the entire 2014-15 academic year. Unless otherwise indicated, your award is based on full-time student status. Please indicate whether you wish to accept or decline each part of this award by circling Yes or No on the appropriate line(s) below. Please print a copy of this letter, sign, date and return it to the School of Law. If your award includes a loan and you wish to reduce the loan amount, write in and initial the amount that you wish to borrow. Loan awards are tentative. Final eligibility is determined by the Washington University Financial Aid Office and the lending institutions.

Dear esrom55-

Do you want to be my boyfriend. Circle

Yes or No

Sincerely,

WUSTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxS8wlDngI

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Did anyone get help filling out the WUSTL aid application, or are there directions/explanations anywhere? I'm running into questions where I just don't really understand what the hell they mean.

It asks:

What is the dollar assessment of your financial need?

With this figure in mind, how much will you need in loans to help you meet that figure?

Um...idk?

Also where it asked for how much you anticipate paying in rent, books, health insurance, etc., I pretty much just guessed. I don't really know, ya know?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

It asks:

With this figure in mind, how much will you need in loans to help you meet that figure?

Um...idk?
Also where it asked for how much you anticipate paying in rent, books, health insurance, etc., I pretty much just guessed. I don't really know, ya know?

Well for the second part, look at the budget that they provide.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

It asks:

Um...idk?

There should be an estimate somewhere from WUSTL stating how much you should budget for room/board, books, etc... For your first year, you want to get at least that much to be on the safe side, unless you have an SO who will be contributing to living expenses.

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

It asks:

Um...idk?

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

It asks:

Um...idk?

Also for the bolded part, is that per year, for all 3 years?

peachesthedoge

Postby peachesthedoge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Pretty sure it's per year

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 pm

esrom55 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

It asks:

Um...idk?

[doctor evil.png]

exactly how I feel, lol

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
It asks:

Um...idk?

Also for the bolded part, is that per year, for all 3 years?

Financial Aid should be per year...each year you have to fill out a FAFSA and get new loans. That's why if you play it safe and take out more/too much for the first year, you just hold it over to the second year and take less.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Oh shit, just got an email from WUSTL and my blood ran cold. Rather than the usual where the from field is "Admissions at Washington University" or whatever, the from field just read "Anna Donovan". I was sure she was calling me out as LB or answering a question I had just posted or something like that. Turns out just ASW schedule. phew, lol

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Turning 28 in less than a week.

Also BSB>>>>>>>>>>Nsync>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>98degrees. HTH.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 pm

CookieDough wrote:Turning 28 in less than a week.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Human being Class of 1993 checking in on page xx93

I've never had chicken pox. Yay vaccines of the 90's.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

CookieDough wrote:Turning 28 in less than a week.

I see you're at least up on the internet slang the kids are using. When I first started in the forums I had no idea what anyone was talking about with the HTH and the TTT...I had to defer to Lord Google. :oops:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”