WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

Ricky-Bobby

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
On the point of ragequitting and fairness: In theory, someone deposits because the offer is the best offer they received. Just because someone else's offer changed doesn't make my offer, for example, any less my best offer. Could it seem unfair? Certainly possible. But at the same time, so unfair that you'd be willing to turn down what was previously your best offer and pay more elsewhere/go to a worse place?

Oh I think it's definitely possible. Look at how much talk about school choice around here is based on emotion and perceived justice (not Wash U specific, just in general around TLS). Given that the TLS community as a whole seems to think it's above emotional decisions, I can only imagine what the public at large might do.

Does this sound elitist or condescending?

Both, nicely done.

Oh, good. I was afraid I might have been too subtle.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
On the point of ragequitting and fairness: In theory, someone deposits because the offer is the best offer they received. Just because someone else's offer changed doesn't make my offer, for example, any less my best offer. Could it seem unfair? Certainly possible. But at the same time, so unfair that you'd be willing to turn down what was previously your best offer and pay more elsewhere/go to a worse place?

Oh I think it's definitely possible. Look at how much talk about school choice around here is based on emotion and perceived justice (not Wash U specific, just in general around TLS). Given that the TLS community as a whole seems to think it's above emotional decisions, I can only imagine what the public at large might do.

Does this sound elitist or condescending?

Both, nicely done.

Oh, good. I was afraid I might have been too subtle.

I now realize my gif may have looked sarcastic. For the record, it was intended to convey full approval.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Got my PTO approved guys :mrgreen: booking flights after I get home from work!

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Got my PTO approved guys :mrgreen: booking flights after I get home from work!

See you there, broseph.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

(Obligatory post on pages ending in 85)

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Fiero85 wrote:(Obligatory post on pages ending in 85)

Remember when we were racing to be first on pg 100?

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Attax wrote:

Back when Attax was still a Wash U prospective student. Those were good days.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Attax wrote:

You should come have a day with me in Austin to mourn my WUSTL prospects :(

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Attax wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Attax wrote:

Yep and I missed 100. Sloppy TLSing.

I gotta say Austin/San Antonio are pretty high on my list of US cities to visit next. What did you think of SA, RB?

hukchobo

Postby hukchobo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Birdnals wrote:
chingwoo wrote:CWE vs. UCity/ULOOP vs. Downtown

Go.

CWE is where a vast majority of your classmates will live. That is, by far, its greatest perk. Slightly overpriced for what you are getting, and the bars in the area get old fairly quickly. For pregames and such, it is nice to be able to just walk to the place you are pregaming instead of either cabbing it or driving and getting your car in the morning. If you aren't that social of a person and don't see yourself living with law school kids that much, I wouldn't really recommend it. Very young-professional area. 5-10 Min commute to school.

UCity/Loop- Obviously super close to school, so that is the biggest perk for this area. Can get kinda sketchy once you go north of Delmar, but there are tons of nice areas where I would feel perfectly fine living. Lots of hipstery bars, but is pretty much overrun with highschoolers/UG's on weekend nights. Lots of relatively cheap housing if you are willing to put in the time for an extended housing hunt or have roommates. If you are into concerts/craft beers then this is the place for you. Almost no commute to school.

Downtown- Greatest perk is there is a ton of cool things downtown for sports/3AM bars and such. Washington Avenue (Wash Ave) is a great thing to live by. Very few of your classmates will live here, meaning if you are social you are going to be driving/cabbing to pretty much every pregame, but the once or twice a month your classmates want to go out on Wash Ave you are going to be an asset to host. Lots of cool/giant/cheap lofts you can find which are recently renovated and a good 35-50% cheaper than CWE per square foot. Big con from my friends who live there is there is no grocery stores like, anywhere, downtown, so that can be a pain in the ass. 10-20 minute commute to school depending on construction/traffic.

Other Areas:

Clayton- Very similar to CWE but on the other side of the school and with less classmates living there. Very young professional type area, and the bar scene is reflective of that. If they had a 3AM bar I would probably be there every weekend, and plan on moving there after graduation. Slightly overpriced for what you will be getting, but extremely nice part of town. If you have a family, this is where you probably want to be for quality of life purposes. I wouldn't reccomend most people who are new to St. Louis to live here because it is kind of far away from lots of bar districts like Soulard and Wash Ave but if you can find a place for the right price I wouldn't rule it out. Commute to school 5-10 minutes.

South City(dogtown, the grove, etc)- There are lots of areas in South City which are fairly nice so I looped it all together. It is essentially the area south of Forest Park. People who aren't from St. Louis completely skip over this area often in their housing hunts which I think is a huge mistake. Lots of awesome restaurants (close to the hill), super central (the grove is 5 minutes from soulard, 5 minutes from CWE, 10 minutes from school, 10 minutes from downtown, etc.), and is a very up-in-coming area. As far as value for housing, this area is by FAR the best. (for example, I live in tower grove in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1,600sq/ft house which had been completely renovated 3 years ago and has fenced in back yard and unfinished basement, and I pay a total of $1,200/month for rent. Split three ways, that is insanely cheap). The only con I have with this area is that it doesn't really have a bar district (outside of the grove, which is all hipster and gay bars, so if that is your scene then the bar district is awesome for you), so you are going to be doing a lot of cabbing/driving places, but with how much you save on rent I think it is worth at least a look, especially if you plan on having roommates and/or want a house instead of an apartment. 5-15 minute commute to school depending on where you live.

SoulardDon't live in Soulard if you are new to STL. It is a great area, I have tons of friends who live there, and probably my favorite bar district in St. Louis, but it is also loud and far away from lots of stuff. If you are familiar with Chicago, I would consider it St. Louis's Wrigleyville. 15-20 minute commute to school.

tagging for future reference

edit: forgot to say thanks :(
thanks a bunch this helps alot!

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Attax wrote:

If it was just me on this trip I would have spent Saturday night in Austin getting drunk in your favorite bars with you, but I have other people I have to consider. Sorry, bud.

Fiero, SA is beautiful. It has that small city "charm," and even I don't get overly lost here. The streets are windy and kinda suck because they were built by drunk missionaries (citation needed), but if you're in the right place you can walk everywhere.

I only drove through Austin, but I can't comment on it because I was so distracted by the awful smell coming from that raging dumpster fire that is UT. :D

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Attax wrote:

If it was just me on this trip I would have spent Saturday night in Austin getting drunk in your favorite bars with you, but I have other people I have to consider. Sorry, bud.

Fiero, SA is beautiful. It has that small city "charm," and even I don't get overly lost here. The streets are windy and kinda suck because they were built by drunk missionaries (citation needed), but if you're in the right place you can walk everywhere.

I only drove through Austin, but I can't comment on it because I was so distracted by the gorgeous views coming from that raging school blessed by God's own hand that is UT. :D

FIFY

bound

Postby bound » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm sure this has been asked ITT but I don't feel like searching for it. How do small sections work at WUSTL?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Austinbound wrote:I'm sure this has been asked ITT but I don't feel like searching for it. How do small sections work at WUSTL?

each class has a different number of small sections since it's dependent on class size.

But basically you'll have one doctrinal class with just your section, then the other 2 with another section.

Curves are by professor. I'm in section D. So last semester i had torts with Section E. And there was another torts class with my prof with just section C.

So E,D, and C were all on the same torts curve since we all had the same professor.

CALI's are awarded by section. So there were three CALI-worthy grades in my torts class, the highest grade in each of the 3 sections.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 pm

cusenation wrote:
Austinbound wrote:I'm sure this has been asked ITT but I don't feel like searching for it. How do small sections work at WUSTL?

each class has a different number of small sections since it's dependent on class size.

But basically you'll have one doctrinal class with just your section, then the other 2 with another section.

Curves are by professor. I'm in section D. So last semester i had torts with Section E. And there was another torts class with my prof with just section C.

So E,D, and C were all on the same torts curve since we all had the same professor.

CALI's are awarded by section. So there were three CALI-worthy grades in my torts class, the highest grade in each of the 3 sections.

Also, the people in small sections end up hooking up with each other so that's fun too

Although, there ARE some instances of inter-section breeding. Rare but still existent.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 pm

ok so i got my plane tickets for the ASW!

what hotel should i stay at

and are we gonna rage or what

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 pm

hukchobo wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
chingwoo wrote:CWE vs. UCity/ULOOP vs. Downtown

Go.

CWE is where a vast majority of your classmates will live. That is, by far, its greatest perk. Slightly overpriced for what you are getting, and the bars in the area get old fairly quickly. For pregames and such, it is nice to be able to just walk to the place you are pregaming instead of either cabbing it or driving and getting your car in the morning. If you aren't that social of a person and don't see yourself living with law school kids that much, I wouldn't really recommend it. Very young-professional area. 5-10 Min commute to school.

UCity/Loop- Obviously super close to school, so that is the biggest perk for this area. Can get kinda sketchy once you go north of Delmar, but there are tons of nice areas where I would feel perfectly fine living. Lots of hipstery bars, but is pretty much overrun with highschoolers/UG's on weekend nights. Lots of relatively cheap housing if you are willing to put in the time for an extended housing hunt or have roommates. If you are into concerts/craft beers then this is the place for you. Almost no commute to school.

Downtown- Greatest perk is there is a ton of cool things downtown for sports/3AM bars and such. Washington Avenue (Wash Ave) is a great thing to live by. Very few of your classmates will live here, meaning if you are social you are going to be driving/cabbing to pretty much every pregame, but the once or twice a month your classmates want to go out on Wash Ave you are going to be an asset to host. Lots of cool/giant/cheap lofts you can find which are recently renovated and a good 35-50% cheaper than CWE per square foot. Big con from my friends who live there is there is no grocery stores like, anywhere, downtown, so that can be a pain in the ass. 10-20 minute commute to school depending on construction/traffic.

Other Areas:

Clayton- Very similar to CWE but on the other side of the school and with less classmates living there. Very young professional type area, and the bar scene is reflective of that. If they had a 3AM bar I would probably be there every weekend, and plan on moving there after graduation. Slightly overpriced for what you will be getting, but extremely nice part of town. If you have a family, this is where you probably want to be for quality of life purposes. I wouldn't reccomend most people who are new to St. Louis to live here because it is kind of far away from lots of bar districts like Soulard and Wash Ave but if you can find a place for the right price I wouldn't rule it out. Commute to school 5-10 minutes.

South City(dogtown, the grove, etc)- There are lots of areas in South City which are fairly nice so I looped it all together. It is essentially the area south of Forest Park. People who aren't from St. Louis completely skip over this area often in their housing hunts which I think is a huge mistake. Lots of awesome restaurants (close to the hill), super central (the grove is 5 minutes from soulard, 5 minutes from CWE, 10 minutes from school, 10 minutes from downtown, etc.), and is a very up-in-coming area. As far as value for housing, this area is by FAR the best. (for example, I live in tower grove in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1,600sq/ft house which had been completely renovated 3 years ago and has fenced in back yard and unfinished basement, and I pay a total of $1,200/month for rent. Split three ways, that is insanely cheap). The only con I have with this area is that it doesn't really have a bar district (outside of the grove, which is all hipster and gay bars, so if that is your scene then the bar district is awesome for you), so you are going to be doing a lot of cabbing/driving places, but with how much you save on rent I think it is worth at least a look, especially if you plan on having roommates and/or want a house instead of an apartment. 5-15 minute commute to school depending on where you live.

SoulardDon't live in Soulard if you are new to STL. It is a great area, I have tons of friends who live there, and probably my favorite bar district in St. Louis, but it is also loud and far away from lots of stuff. If you are familiar with Chicago, I would consider it St. Louis's Wrigleyville. 15-20 minute commute to school.

tagging for future reference

edit: forgot to say thanks :(
thanks a bunch this helps alot!

+1 on the tagging and thanks. Visiting on Wednesday and very excited!

bound

Postby bound » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Also, the people in small sections end up hooking up with each other so that's fun too

Although, there ARE some instances of inter-section breeding. Rare but still existent.

Haha good to know guys. About how many students make up the small sections?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Austinbound wrote:

around 35 ish

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:20 pm

cusenation wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

around 35 ish

things get freaky

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 pm

whats the best hotel for asw

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm

thevuch wrote:whats the best hotel for asw

My rental car. True story.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Let in me WUSTL please

pretty please

edit: with a cherry on top

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 pm

For proximity and coolness, the moonrise is a good choice. There are cheaper ones though too near campus.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Kanye West wrote:

My rental car. True story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

http://www.businessinsider.com/ken-ilgu ... 013-6?op=1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”