WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

JCougar

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

So the annual deluge of scholarship money has come?

Awesome. I was worried about the school's finances after admitting about half the class last year for free, but dat endowment...

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

JCougar wrote:So the annual deluge of scholarship money has come?

Awesome. I was worried about the school's finances after admitting about half the class last year for free, but dat endowment...

I think the general idea is that they did bump up, but not near last year levels yet. I think it is their way of saying "We have the $, just wait a little longer, but here is a teaser."

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Now that more money has gone out, every email I get freaks me out... ugh

PrideandGlory1776

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Can anyone find statistics on WashU scholarship besides the 509? There 509 says 37% get more than half tuition - which is just amazing plus 75.4% get scholarship money with median of 24k.
Last edited by PrideandGlory1776 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Has anyone been offered a living stipend?

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Has anyone been offered a living stipend?

I've never seen anyone on TLS speak of scoring a stipend on top of a full tuition scholarship aside from those awarded a named scholarship (like in the case of WUSTL, the Webster.) I don't think it's impossible, but I think it's rather rare.

bound

Postby bound » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Austinbound wrote:Anyone think that there will be another random scholarship increase day before seat deposit deadline? Just wondering if I should hold out for some rainmaking or begin negotiations after April ASW.

I'm annoying.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Austinbound wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Anyone think that there will be another random scholarship increase day before seat deposit deadline? Just wondering if I should hold out for some rainmaking or begin negotiations after April ASW.

I'm annoying.

Was there just another one? Did I seriously just withdraw before another schollie bump?!

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Did you get the first bump?

I don't think there will be another one until closer to the 2nd deposit.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Hard to say. The c/o 2016 got the huge scholly bomb in June, so things seem to be running ahead of last year. I don't even want to speculate.

Also, I finally caught up on reading this damn thread. Congrats on the scholly bumps, everyone!

I had no idea San Antonio was this full of hipsters. Austin must be leaking.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Hard to say. The c/o 2016 got the huge scholly bomb in June, so things seem to be running ahead of last year. I don't even want to speculate.

Also, I finally caught up on reading this damn thread. Congrats on the scholly bumps, everyone!

Did the June scholly bump last year go to those deposited or those who did not deposit yet (or both)?

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Come by Austin. I'll give you the hipster run down!

bound

Postby bound » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Attax wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Was there just another one? Did I seriously just withdraw before another schollie bump?!

I didn't say that lol. I'm just asking what people's thoughts are on if/when there will be another.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Did the June scholly bump last year go to those deposited or those who did not deposit yet (or both)?

Even some people who had previously withdrawn were bumped last year, I think.

Attax wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Austinbound wrote:

I'm annoying.

Come by Austin. I'll give you the hipster run down!

Within 20 minutes of being in SA I saw a dude with a grungy beard driving a Prius with a pink fuzzy mustache on the front. Made me want to hop back in the truck and go home.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Within 20 minutes of being in SA I saw a dude with a grungy beard driving a Prius with a pink fuzzy mustache on the front. Made me want to hop back in the truck and go home.

I live in a semi-hipster neighborhood but def not too bad.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Ricky-Bobby, I'm most surprised that they bumped those who already deposited...it's like...what does that get them other than less net revenue? Unless they were that worried about being poached by other schools' waitlists.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Ricky-Bobby, I'm most surprised that they bumped those who already deposited...it's like...what does that get them other than less net revenue? Unless they were that worried about being poached by other schools' waitlists.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, they know that 0L's talk chatter like hens, so you run a huge risk of rage quits if you play the "lolnope, you already deposited" game.

Ambi-Turner

Postby Ambi-Turner » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Within 20 minutes of being in SA I saw a dude with a grungy beard driving a Prius with a pink fuzzy mustache on the front. Made me want to hop back in the truck and go home.

To be fair, he was probably just a Lyft driver (it's a ridesharing service.)

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm

I was bumped, hadn't deposited. HTH.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:Ricky-Bobby, I'm most surprised that they bumped those who already deposited...it's like...what does that get them other than less net revenue? Unless they were that worried about being poached by other schools' waitlists.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, they know that 0L's talk chatter like hens, so you run a huge risk of rage quits if you play the "lolnope, you already deposited" game.

Thanks, this is what I do for a living :wink:

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I'd like to think caring about student debt and outcomes was part of it.

But the business major in me says "marketing/publicity move". Apps were way up this year so it did get attention. They don't charge for apps though so there's not a direct revenue benefit. But they seem to really wanna compete more and more directly with UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT group and Cornell etc. in the future so they throw some mad money around to get their hat in the ring with applicants. Here's hoping the plan keeps moving forward! I certainly approve

Edit: yeah RB is right about fairness rage if depositors are short changed too

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Fiero85 wrote:

But the business major in me says "marketing/publicity move". Apps were way up this year so it did get attention. They don't charge for apps though so there's not a direct revenue benefit. But they seem to really wanna compete more and more directly with UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT group and Cornell etc. in the future so they throw some mad money around to get their hat in the ring with applicants. Here's hoping the plan keeps moving forward! I certainly approve

Schools don't even really care about the revenue from app fees, it's really more of a device to weed out those who truly are not very interested and would just be spam apps essentially.

On the point of ragequitting and fairness: In theory, someone deposits because the offer is the best offer they received. Just because someone else's offer changed doesn't make my offer, for example, any less my best offer. Could it seem unfair? Certainly possible. But at the same time, so unfair that you'd be willing to turn down what was previously your best offer and pay more elsewhere/go to a worse place?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Schools don't even really care about the revenue from app fees, it's really more of a device to weed out those who truly are not very interested and would just be spam apps essentially.

On the point of ragequitting and fairness: In theory, someone deposits because the offer is the best offer they received. Just because someone else's offer changed doesn't make my offer, for example, any less my best offer. Could it seem unfair? Certainly possible. But at the same time, so unfair that you'd be willing to turn down what was previously your best offer and pay more elsewhere/go to a worse place?

Yes that's true for that applicant individually, but I think you're improperly limiting it to a one-on-one relationaship. Schools have to manage their reputation as a whole and across multiple years at a time. Even discretely giving more aid to people who commit late rather than early (with the same stats) sends the wrong message if you get caught. It's a bad look, like trying to "pull a fast one". And it just encourages more hardball which adcomms at some level must hate or at least find inconvenient for their class planning.

On top of all that, I think their secondary hope might be that the generosity now might pay off later when people think fondly of WUSTL and donate back to the law school. Who knows, though. That's a small percentage of any alumni group I believe.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:

Oh I think it's definitely possible. Look at how much talk about school choice around here is based on emotion and perceived justice (not Wash U specific, just in general around TLS). Given that the TLS community as a whole seems to think it's above emotional decisions, I can only imagine what the public at large might do.

Does this sound elitist or condescending?

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:

Oh I think it's definitely possible. Look at how much talk about school choice around here is based on emotion and perceived justice (not Wash U specific, just in general around TLS). Given that the TLS community as a whole seems to think it's above emotional decisions, I can only imagine what the public at large might do.

Does this sound elitist or condescending?

Both, nicely done.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”