WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
11
12%
22-23
27
29%
24-26
38
40%
27-30
14
15%
30+
4
4%
 
Total votes: 94

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11090
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:31 pm

sublime wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
cusenation wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/21/st-louis-reasons-to-love_n_4993763.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Excellent article that Sublime posted on his facebook lol


lol. that same article could've been written about Indy, Cinci, Minneapolis, and Madison.



Myself, I don't even consider living in cities that lack a monument that is AT LEAST 600 feet tall. :lol:


I talk shit about StL sometimes, but actually do like it here. I think Cuse feels the same, despite the city not being as SOPHISTICATED as Boston. 8)


City rankings - Cooley Style.

Important Criteria:

Size of monuments
Size of nearest river(s)
Number of large bridges nearby
Geographic size of metro area
Presidential pizza reviews

User avatar
LET'S GET IT
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Boston is sophisticated now? When did that happen?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:37 pm

..

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11090
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm

sublime wrote:
Don't forget about "Number of Chuck Berry Performances Annually"


That's so important I thought it went without saying. You're basically disqualified from being a city if Chuck Berry doesn't perform regularly in your "city".

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:51 pm

This is all 180 advice guys and gals. Glad I checked in today.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm

because I keep getting PMs asking what I like/dislike about WUSTL and about my general experience here, I'm just going to post it here and get it done with at once. I recognize there's a risk associated with doing this because i'm pretty sure anyone at WUSTL who reads TLS already knows who I am, but whatever

I'll try to be methodical about it

Facilities
I used to think our facilities were amazing until I saw the new additions to the business school next door. Now our facilities look like trash. But I serve on an SBA committee that meets with the administration to discuss updates to the facilities and student services (e.g. cafe). And there are good things coming our way that I'm sure you guys will appreciate

Professors
I haven't yet had a professor who's intelligence I've questioned. Oftentimes I sit in lecture thinking "holy shit this prof is a genius" which is quickly followed by the thought "oh fuck how am i gonna impress this prof on their exam?" Our profs are accessible and they know what they're doing. We don't pay them the kind of money we do for stupid profs. Yes some of them have their idiosyncrasies and some of them might have unfavorable exam policies, but at the end of the day you're gonna learn some shit from them if you apply yourself.

Saint Louis
It's not NYC. Which is great, because NYC sucks. It's generally clean here. You can drive from point A to point B without running into major traffic and subsequently questioning everything about your life. Living here is cheap. There's beers to be drank and sports to be watched. There's enough to do to keep you occupied but not so much to overwhelm you or bankrupt you.

My classmates
I guess this is more controversial but i'll be honest. There are times in lecture when some of my classmates talk and I just sit there in fury because that imbecile is getting the same J.D. as me. But it's usually the same kids over and over again and it's usually when the entire room (not just me) starts rolling their eyes. But most of my classmates--whether I like them or not--are extremely capable, driven, and smart. They will be excellent lawyers. There are opportunities here for people to pursue different interests and everyone seems to find their group fairly quickly.

Jerbs
Like any non-elite school (HYSCCN or arguably just HYS), there are haves and have-nots. At the extreme there will be people who straight up just won't have a job by graduation or even after they pass the bar. Sure it happens. But for the most part it's not a haves vs. have-not situation. It's a have-more vs have-less or have-right-now vs will-have-later situation. People with legal connections and/or good grades will generally find employment quicker than those that don't. People who go through OCI and get an SA will generally have some more certainty whereas the kids who opt out of firm employment face more uncertainty. But this isn't a TTT. Do your work and hustle and the odds are that you will be just fine.

Grades
I've said this privately before but I'll re-iterate it here (and likely paint a target on my back). Law school grades are NOT random in the sense that everyone turns in identical exams and the professor just flips a coin to assign grades. The students who spot the most issues and analyze them the most deeply will get the best grades (for your normal 1L issue-spotter exam). Working hard, working smart, finding a good mentor, etc... are all things that the top performing students have in common. VERY rarely will there just be a genius who just understands everything naturally and does well with minimal effort. Lets assume that all 1Ls are equally smart and all have the necessary mental endurance (they don't, but lets assume they do). Even then, there are things that take kids out of the race, i'll break it down here:

1. Kids who have no idea what's going on and don't know what to do
2. Kids who are just genuinely too lazy to put in the work
3. Kids who know exactly what to do but become overconfident and therefore become complacent
4. Kids who think they're smarter so they don't work hard
5. Kids who work hard, but do things the wrong way
6. Kids who become distracted because of something personal (e.g. relationship...drugs...etc...)
7. Kids who are too opinionated and refuse to learn/apply the law the way their professors want them to
8. Kids who hate law school so much that they just avoid all things related to it, and therefore don't bother working
9. Kids who are too nice or soft to be as competitive as they probably need to be
10. Kids who believe the kool-aid the school feeds them about not needing good grades to do well
11. Kids whose mentors told them that they would be fine so they stop working because they think that the approval of their mentors somehow means good grades are a sure thing.

That's just eleven categories i thought of off the top of my head as I watch the Michigan-Texas game.

The ONLY reason we tell 0L's that law school grading is "random" is because we have a random selection of 0L's and we have no idea whether they'll fall into one of those categories or whether they're smart enough or whether they're willing to work smart enough. Because we speak to a random selection of 0L's, we need to tell them grading is random, because we don't know enough to give them any kind of accurate assessment. But as far as YOUR LIFE/CAREER is concerned, grading is not random. Figure out how to do well and do the work. Honestly, it's in your hands more than anything else.

General happiness and what not
My happiness fluctuates depending on whether or not I have con law that day. In all seriousness, I go to a school with smart peers, sit in classes taught by excellent professors, and enjoy the brand power of a school that can give me career opportunities that were a pipe dream a few months ago. This could probably apply to every school in the T30. So figure out if WUSTL is a good fit for you. No one can give you a checklist of criteria to determine if it's a good fit for you or not.

Minimize your debt while maximizing career opportunities in your desired market. Then figure out which school you'll enjoy attending for 3 years.

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:09 pm

dem jerbs

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 pm

cusenation wrote:because I keep getting PMs asking what I like/dislike about WUSTL and about my general experience here, I'm just going to post it here and get it done with at once. I recognize there's a risk associated with doing this because i'm pretty sure anyone at WUSTL who reads TLS already knows who I am, but whatever

I'll try to be methodical about it

Facilities
I used to think our facilities were amazing until I saw the new additions to the business school next door. Now our facilities look like trash. But I serve on an SBA committee that meets with the administration to discuss updates to the facilities and student services (e.g. cafe). And there are good things coming our way that I'm sure you guys will appreciate

Professors
I haven't yet had a professor who's intelligence I've questioned. Oftentimes I sit in lecture thinking "holy shit this prof is a genius" which is quickly followed by the thought "oh fuck how am i gonna impress this prof on their exam?" Our profs are accessible and they know what they're doing. We don't pay them the kind of money we do for stupid profs. Yes some of them have their idiosyncrasies and some of them might have unfavorable exam policies, but at the end of the day you're gonna learn some shit from them if you apply yourself.

Saint Louis
It's not NYC. Which is great, because NYC sucks. It's generally clean here. You can drive from point A to point B without running into major traffic and subsequently questioning everything about your life. Living here is cheap. There's beers to be drank and sports to be watched. There's enough to do to keep you occupied but not so much to overwhelm you or bankrupt you.

My classmates
I guess this is more controversial but i'll be honest. There are times in lecture when some of my classmates talk and I just sit there in fury because that imbecile is getting the same J.D. as me. But it's usually the same kids over and over again and it's usually when the entire room (not just me) starts rolling their eyes. But most of my classmates--whether I like them or not--are extremely capable, driven, and smart. They will be excellent lawyers. There are opportunities here for people to pursue different interests and everyone seems to find their group fairly quickly.

Jerbs
Like any non-elite school (HYSCCN or arguably just HYS), there are haves and have-nots. At the extreme there will be people who straight up just won't have a job by graduation or even after they pass the bar. Sure it happens. But for the most part it's not a haves vs. have-not situation. It's a have-more vs have-less or have-right-now vs will-have-later situation. People with legal connections and/or good grades will generally find employment quicker than those that don't. People who go through OCI and get an SA will generally have some more certainty whereas the kids who opt out of firm employment face more uncertainty. But this isn't a TTT. Do your work and hustle and the odds are that you will be just fine.

Grades
I've said this privately before but I'll re-iterate it here (and likely paint a target on my back). Law school grades are NOT random in the sense that everyone turns in identical exams and the professor just flips a coin to assign grades. The students who spot the most issues and analyze them the most deeply will get the best grades (for your normal 1L issue-spotter exam). Working hard, working smart, finding a good mentor, etc... are all things that the top performing students have in common. VERY rarely will there just be a genius who just understands everything naturally and does well with minimal effort. Lets assume that all 1Ls are equally smart and all have the necessary mental endurance (they don't, but lets assume they do). Even then, there are things that take kids out of the race, i'll break it down here:

1. Kids who have no idea what's going on and don't know what to do
2. Kids who are just genuinely too lazy to put in the work
3. Kids who know exactly what to do but become overconfident and therefore become complacent
4. Kids who think they're smarter so they don't work hard
5. Kids who work hard, but do things the wrong way
6. Kids who become distracted because of something personal (e.g. relationship...drugs...etc...)
7. Kids who are too opinionated and refuse to learn/apply the law the way their professors want them to
8. Kids who hate law school so much that they just avoid all things related to it, and therefore don't bother working
9. Kids who are too nice or soft to be as competitive as they probably need to be
10. Kids who believe the kool-aid the school feeds them about not needing good grades to do well
11. Kids whose mentors told them that they would be fine so they stop working because they think that the approval of their mentors somehow means good grades are a sure thing.

That's just eleven categories i thought of off the top of my head as I watch the Michigan-Texas game.

The ONLY reason we tell 0L's that law school grading is "random" is because we have a random selection of 0L's and we have no idea whether they'll fall into one of those categories or whether they're smart enough or whether they're willing to work smart enough. Because we speak to a random selection of 0L's, we need to tell them grading is random, because we don't know enough to give them any kind of accurate assessment. But as far as YOUR LIFE/CAREER is concerned, grading is not random. Figure out how to do well and do the work. Honestly, it's in your hands more than anything else.

General happiness and what not
My happiness fluctuates depending on whether or not I have con law that day. In all seriousness, I go to a school with smart peers, sit in classes taught by excellent professors, and enjoy the brand power of a school that can give me career opportunities that were a pipe dream a few months ago. This could probably apply to every school in the T30. So figure out if WUSTL is a good fit for you. No one can give you a checklist of criteria to determine if it's a good fit for you or not.

Minimize your debt while maximizing career opportunities in your desired market. Then figure out which school you'll enjoy attending for 3 years.

hmmm, could you expand upon the classmates section? Like, what in particular do you like/dislike about your classmates? As you said later in the post, there are 11 categories of people. Is this a majority or minority?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

..

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:17 pm

..

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:As you said later in the post, there are 11 categories of people. Is this a majority or minority?


Gunner detected

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 pm

sublime wrote:You REALLY fucking hate the grades are random thing. haha.

I dislike it mostly because it encourages 0L's to think that there's nothing they can do to do well on exams.

"Grades are random anyway whatever" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy IMO. There's SOOO much at stake when picking the right law school. One of my biggest pet peeves is when 0L's choose some marginal T14 at sticker over T30 with major scholarship because they assume that they're PREDESTINED to be median at both schools. That's just simply not true. I understand why it's safer to tell 0L's to assume that they'll be around the median, no one should assume they'll be at the top. But i also think it has the secondary effect of telling them that they're basically limited to being median. If they wanna err on the side of caution, that's fine. But they deserve to hear that there are tangible things they can do to do well in school before they make that decision
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 pm

sublime wrote:I just thought that people would be smarter here, and they really aren't.


Oh, that's a bit of a concern. Reason why I transferred out of my initial undergrad institution.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:As you said later in the post, there are 11 categories of people. Is this a majority or minority?


Gunner detected

No, I know I'll do well in law school!

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:23 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:As you said later in the post, there are 11 categories of people. Is this a majority or minority?


Gunner detected

No, I know I'll do well in law school!


Just givin ya shit ;)

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:25 pm

..
Last edited by sublime on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:As you said later in the post, there are 11 categories of people. Is this a majority or minority?


Gunner detected

No, I know I'll do well in law school!


Just givin ya shit ;)

So, am I allowed to turn down Law Review? or am I stuck once you get invited.

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:27 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:So, am I allowed to turn down Law Review? or am I stuck once you get invited.


Just sign it over to me, I'll take care of it for you. No worries.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:27 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:So, am I allowed to turn down Law Review? or am I stuck once you get invited.

hahaha we're going to have a strong talk later on Facebook

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:38 pm

cusenation wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:So, am I allowed to turn down Law Review? or am I stuck once you get invited.

hahaha we're going to have a strong talk later on Facebook

<3 Don't hate, just masturbate.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby JustHawkin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Cuse an Sublime,

You guys are the shit. Can't wait to meet you come April ASW.

-JH

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Lol I guess I disagree with sublime on that point. I think there may be some kind of X factor necessary to punch into the top 5% or maybe top 10% but I'm a strong believer that most ppl can be trained to spot and analyze issues methodically and quickly as long as they work at it.

I'm friends with the 2L who was #1 last year and who broke the record for most 1L CALIs, and yes he's very bright, but he worked SO much harder with laser focus. Maybe smarter ppl are more likely to work harder but I think most ppl can get high grades if they get the proper training

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:11 pm

..

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:So, am I allowed to turn down Law Review? or am I stuck once you get invited.

hahaha we're going to have a strong talk later on Facebook

<3 Don't hate, just masturbate.


done

User avatar
bulinus
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby bulinus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:05 pm

cusenation wrote:Facilities
I used to think our facilities were amazing until I saw the new additions to the business school next door. Now our facilities look like trash. But I serve on an SBA committee that meets with the administration to discuss updates to the facilities and student services (e.g. cafe). And there are good things coming our way that I'm sure you guys will appreciate



Does this mean they are going to activate the MS Office 2010 in the computer lab?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beantheshadow, cyclawps, dreamer_13, Imago Loop, joezze, Long shot hero, studyingeveryday, Torres1893 and 16 guests