WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

CookieDough

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby CookieDough » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:56 am

theycallmefoes wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Waiting for my scholarship offer is torture. Can anyone relate?
Definitely
Somehow, this makes me feel better. Seriously, though, it feels like it's taking forever. And all this talk about disappointing scholarship offers just makes me more nervous.

Has anyone attempted to negotiate yet? And if so, how did it go?

A few of us asked. So far our emails were forwarded to the scholarship committee for consideration.

Jack.Sparrow

Postby Jack.Sparrow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:38 am

The booty ($) is good, so I've just about made up my mind to attend WUSTL (+ I just like the people there.)

Plan on riding a couple sea turtles to the April "Admitted Student's" festival (provided the sea turtles are comfortable letting me "thumb" a ride. :wink: ) Side note- I'm seriously extremely impressed that WUSTL professors (in 2013) gave up their salary increases to help with the scholarships. See the following:

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/ ... gotiation/

From the above cnn site:

The law school, says Katherine Scannell, an associate dean, cannot provide any information about the incoming class until October. She expects the class to be only "slightly smaller" than the 201 students admitted last year for a 2015 graduation, she noted in an e-mail. However, at a recent student welcoming session, the law school said professors had turned in their salary increases for the coming year to the scholarship fund, Kettlewell says.

I only wish WUSTL offered a historical jurisprudence class on "The Code" :wink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnOjGuQkNs

j907

A good enough offer?

Postby j907 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 am

Hello everyone,

I am glad to have been admitted to Wash U Law. Although I haven't received anything in terms of Scholarship money yet, I have in fact received advanced standing for a law degree I obtained in a common law country which shall enable me to get my JD in two years at Wash U, which is a good law school if one looks at the rankings but from my conversations with a lot of people I have realized it is not as well known as it should be considering it's rank. So, is the offer I have got from the school good enough?

Some additional info: My family is in Chicago, and I would like to work somewhere around that city, don't really have any preferences for the kind of job I want to get into as long as it helps me pay off the debt I'll incur at law school, and obviously must be related to law.

CookieDough

Re: A good enough offer?

Postby CookieDough » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 am

j907 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am glad to have been admitted to Wash U Law. Although I haven't received anything in terms of Scholarship money yet, I have in fact received advanced standing for a law degree I obtained in a common law country which shall enable me to get my JD in two years at Wash U, which is a good law school if one looks at the rankings but from my conversations with a lot of people I have realized it is not as well known as it should be considering it's rank. So, is the offer I have got from the school good enough?

Some additional info: My family is in Chicago, and I would like to work somewhere around that city, don't really have any preferences for the kind of job I want to get into as long as it helps me pay off the debt I'll incur at law school, and obviously must be related to law.

WUSTL is a great school and you probably have a good shot at Chicago from there. Without more information (COA) for wustl and your other choices, no one is going to be able to tell you if you'll be potentially able to pay off the debt.

Would you be paying full cost for the JD, or is a prorated cost for the two years?

ETA: Congrats on getting in!!

j907

Postby j907 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:52 am

Hey, congratulations to you as well :) I would just be paying for the time I attend, so I guess that's an incentive and also reduces my COA for one year. And I just got accepted earlier this week so I am still looking for housing options, etc. so I am not too sure about the COA.

My other options are UIUC, which is another school that has offered me advanced standing and I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools I applied to but I really am impressed by Wash U, not just because of the fact that it's a t20 school but from the overall impression I got during my conversations with the school staff.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 am

j907 wrote:Hey, congratulations to you as well :) I would just be paying for the time I attend, so I guess that's an incentive and also reduces my COA for one year. And I just got accepted earlier this week so I am still looking for housing options, etc. so I am not too sure about the COA.

My other options are UIUC, which is another school that has offered me advanced standing and I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools I applied to but I really am impressed by Wash U, not just because of the fact that it's a t20 school but from the overall impression I got during my conversations with the school staff.

I can't give you any advice regarding wustl vs uiuc, but the staff and students are wustl are definitely amazing. The housing can vary, but can be very affordable. Once you have all the info there are plenty of people who can give you better advice than I can. Good luck with your decision!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:56 am

CookieDough wrote:
j907 wrote:Hey, congratulations to you as well :) I would just be paying for the time I attend, so I guess that's an incentive and also reduces my COA for one year. And I just got accepted earlier this week so I am still looking for housing options, etc. so I am not too sure about the COA.

I can't give you any advice regarding wustl vs uiuc, but the staff and students are wustl are definitely amazing. The housing can vary, but can be very affordable. Once you have all the info there are plenty of people who can give you better advice than I can. Good luck with your decision!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130775&start=3775
Try your question there so that current WUSTL students can give you their opinions, which should be more useful than ours!

j907

Postby j907 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:13 am

Hey, thank you for the link. Didn't realize there was a specific thread, apologies for going off topic :)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:17 am

j907 wrote:Hey, thank you for the link. Didn't realize there was a specific thread, apologies for going off topic :)

No we'd all want to help, current students are just probably more useful :)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

More Chicago employers will come to UIUC and there will be more UIUC alumni in the Chicago market. But there will also be many more classmates who are also gunning for Chicago. Basically everyone at UIUC is there because they wanna work in Chicago.

You'll need similar grades from both schools to have a chance at Chicago BigLaw

Personally I think you're better off coming to WashU once you adjust for the added peer competition. Less people here want Chicago, I think our class size is smaller than UIUC, and we still draw a healthy number of Chicago firms (once you include both OCI and the Off-Campus Chicago Program).

WashU also just has more financial resources at its disposal. For example if you decide you want to pursue Public Interest instead, then WashU gives you a summer stipend for both your 1L and 2L summers to do unpaid PI work. Our peers up and down the hierarchy don't do this. (I think at BU you need to win some named fellowship to get the same funding) And you'll probably have more eggs in more baskets in terms of your market options if you ever change your mind about going to Chicago.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Of the big Chicago firms, I think the only one that didn't do OCI here was Mayer Brown. I know of at least one 2L who is working at Mayer Brown next year though. If you have Chicago ties, applying to the smaller/midsize/boutique firms in Chicago via mass-mail will probably be almost as good as attending UIUC. If you don't want Chicago, I think WUSTL is the clear choice. If you are absolutely committed to Chicago, I think I'd go to the one that offered me the lowest COA.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:30 pm

errday we wustlin

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm

thevuch wrote:errday we wustlin

I found this way more funny than I should have :lol:

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

haha yeah i know its funny, and i forget who on this thread did it first i think it was rion perhaps

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:57 pm

thevuch wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

haha yeah i know its funny, and i forget who on this thread did it first i think it was rion perhaps

People have been saying that in the WUSTL threads since at least the class of 2012.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm

LOL this is honestly too rich. Also, visiting this monday/tuesday? Any suggestions for a class to sit in on or things I need to see?? Really excited!

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:25 pm

mt2165 wrote:

LOL this is honestly too rich. Also, visiting this monday/tuesday? Any suggestions for a class to sit in on or things I need to see?? Really excited!

I'm sure they will have a student show you around, so you should see all of the cool law school things on that tour. It's really a beautiful campus.

I love your avatar.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

I'm sure they will have a student show you around, so you should see all of the cool law school things on that tour. It's really a beautiful campus.

I love your avatar.

Did you seriously Fred yourself? Have you no shame?

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:00 pm

CookieDough wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

I love your avatar.

Came out creepier than I imagined. Fred looks a little maniacal.

I'll just steal mt's avatar. I love Bubbles.

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
CookieDough wrote:

Came out creepier than I imagined. Fred looks a little maniacal.

I'll just steal mt's avatar. I love Bubbles.

The creepiness suits you just fine... I wouldn't change a thing :lol:

rion91

Postby rion91 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:09 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
rion91 wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:I just found out that I'll be able to take off and attend April ASD. Anyone else plan on going?

I'll go (if I get admitted :oops: ).
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Man, the truth hurts sometimes.

For all the shit-talking I'm giving you, I really, really hope we last longer than the Hawks in the playoffs.

In unrelated news, someone popped a 20 in the jukebox and selected all Toby Keith songs. It is patriotic as hell in here right now. I'm proud to be a 'Murican, guys.

MERICAN GIRLS.... MERICAN GUYS...

You haven't been admitted yet? You've already become a stalwart of the group.

D'aw thanks. Hopefully I'll get admission this week. I would be so stoked to visit campus :D

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:07 pm

rion91 wrote:D'aw thanks. Hopefully I'll get admission this week. I would be so stoked to visit campus :D

In the same boat as you, my friend. Best of luck to the both of us!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:01 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
rion91 wrote:D'aw thanks. Hopefully I'll get admission this week. I would be so stoked to visit campus :D

In the same boat as you, my friend. Best of luck to the both of us!

Good luck guys!

Attax

Postby Attax » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 pm

I seem to have missed a lot.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Attax wrote:I seem to have missed a lot.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”