WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
40%
27-30
15%
30+
4%

Total votes: 94

rion91

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
rion91 wrote:Wow at this thread. From 2009.

What's up? You have to remember that in a normal situation Wash U and UIUC are peer schools. 2009 was before the numbers-fudging scandal, so these people were talking about two T25 schools. Sucks to be the ones who picked UIUC and got burned, though (if this actually happened, I still haven't really seen enough conclusive, empirical evidence that UIUC suffered in hiring).

I posted to show how much things can change.

From the thread:
You might be buying a bit more of a brand name at WUSTL, but b/w USNWR and NLJ statistics, placement appears to be very similar (especially for anyone in the top quarter of their class). I think that Dean Pless has done a great job at UIUC in recent years. I'm curious to hear what others think.

The same dean that fudged the #s

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 pm

rion91 wrote:I posted to show how much things can change.

Oh, cool. I was trying to figure out why you were amused by the comparison, and thought you might not be aware of UIUC's fall from grace.

rion91 wrote:From the thread:
You might be buying a bit more of a brand name at WUSTL, but b/w USNWR and NLJ statistics, placement appears to be very similar (especially for anyone in the top quarter of their class). I think that Dean Pless has done a great job at UIUC in recent years. I'm curious to hear what others think.

The same dean that fudged the #s

That's awesome. I didn't know that was the one who was cookin' the books. I love looking into the past!

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 pm

My favorite quote

everyday im wustling
everyday im wustling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HV17HiJjMI

Ditka747

Postby Ditka747 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:11 pm

rion91 wrote:My favorite quote

everyday im wustling
everyday im wustling

"hoougghh"

John Everyman

Postby John Everyman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:13 pm

rion91 wrote:My favorite quote

everyday im wustling
everyday im wustling

Haha, yeah, that quote in the thread got me too. I liked how the guy said "I just like saying it? i actually say that to myself quite a number of time on a daily basis.."

I feel for him.

hopeful 0L

Postby hopeful 0L » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 pm

IN! As of Friday, which was 2.5 weeks post-interview. So for any recent interviewees that haven't heard yet (and may be starting to bug out a little bit, like I was), don't worry, they'll get to you!

As for scholarships, it seems from this thread that most people received separate emails a couple (2?) weeks after admission...is that the consensus?

Ditka747

Postby Ditka747 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:16 pm

hopeful 0L wrote:IN! As of Friday, which was 2.5 weeks post-interview. So for any recent interviewees that haven't heard yet (and may be starting to bug out a little bit, like I was), don't worry, they'll get to you!

As for scholarships, it seems from this thread that most people received separate emails a couple (2?) weeks after admission...is that the consensus?

Congratulations, and yea about 1-2 weeks.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 pm

yossarian71 wrote:Cuse. You're a beautiful person.

ND students are reporting that biglaw went really deep this OCI. Like top 1/3 for sure got it if they wanted it and several between 1/3 and median getting it. (this seems suspect to me) WUSTL reporting the same or still top 20-25%?

This is plausible. ND's stats came out for their last graduating class. Their big law rate is now at 28-29%. That's up from the 22% from the year before that. Right now, it's almost 1/3. It would make sense that given the upward trend from the past few years, even more got big law from the current 2Ls. WUSTL might be doing better as well. We'll just have to wait until they publish their stats.

RonBurgundy

Postby RonBurgundy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
hopeful 0L wrote:IN! As of Friday, which was 2.5 weeks post-interview. So for any recent interviewees that haven't heard yet (and may be starting to bug out a little bit, like I was), don't worry, they'll get to you!

Congratulations, and yea about 1-2 weeks.

I really hope to hear back this week. I interviewed last Tuesday. I guess I won't get my hopes up if it took 2.5 weeks for you.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

RonBurgundy wrote:

Hey, hey, hey, hey! There's only room for one Will Ferrell movie character in this thread. You just go on 'n git.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Hey, hey, hey, hey! There's only room for one Will Ferrell movie character in this thread. You just go on 'n git.

:shock:
Shit just got real...

Ditka747

Postby Ditka747 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:31 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Shit just got real...

Battle Royale!

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Shit just got real...

Battle Royale!

Where's Brick Tamland and his trident when you need him!?!?

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Where's Brick Tamland and his trident when you need him!?!?

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Throwin' down. Right here and now.

--ImageRemoved--

RonBurgundy

Postby RonBurgundy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Haha, well I'm not going anywhere but at least you inspired me to set up the picture on my profile.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

RonBurgundy wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
RonBurgundy wrote:

Haha, well I'm not going anywhere but at least you inspired me to set up the picture on my profile.

Aww shit, I'm just encouraging him.

Good luck to ya, friend. Hopefully you hear back soon. Even with the slight delays lately, Wash U has a remarkably fast interview-->decision turnaround compared to others.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Why are you all so active on TLS today? GO OUTSIDE HTH.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Why are you all so active on TLS today? GO OUTSIDE HTH.

Scotti quit bugging me. I'm trying to work.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

ND students are reporting that biglaw went really deep this OCI. Like top 1/3 for sure got it if they wanted it and several between 1/3 and median getting it. (this seems suspect to me) WUSTL reporting the same or still top 20-25%?

There are people with grades outside of the top third that got NYC Biglaw, and there are plenty of people in the top 10-15% who didn't get biglaw at all. Overall it seemed to go pretty decent for people with good grades, but grades are definitely not a guarantee of jobs.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Top third at WUSTL has always made you BigLaw eligible, this is only becoming more true as our class sizes decrease. Anecdotal evidence from SBA meetings indicates that the 2Ls did very well, better than the previous year. As far as how that compares to ND, we'll have to wait for the data to come (remember to adjust for class size when you eventually compare the two).

Whenever anyone talks about the safe harbor cutoffs for BigLaw, what we're really referring to is the odds of getting a screener interview. After the screener, it comes down to how well you interview. When I tell 0L's that Top 20% is secure, i mean that it's more likely than not that you'll get multiple screeners based on your grades. But that doesn't mean Top 20% is NECESSARY. There's a difference between secure and likely. You'll likely get screeners with top third grades, but it might require more legwork and mass mailing on the part of the candidate. Ultimately everyone only ends up taking one job, so from the 0L perspective it's easy to just lump them all together, but it's not that monolithic. If you're top 10% you're going to have a very different OCI experience than if you're top 33%. Both candidates will likely get a job, but the options will be different and the top third candidate will have to invest more effort into getting screeners.

So I still stand by my statement that top 20% is pretty secure at WUSTL. That doesn't mean you're screwed if you miss it. There are plenty of people here who are top third and find jobs through OCI or mass mailing. I'm just more conservative with my estimates because I'd rather have 0L's shoot for the more secure--albeit higher--cutoff.

palbatron wrote:^^^ same. I am still interested in WashU, but ND gave me much more money (like 20k/yr more). Looking for Chicago Biglaw, so an answer here could prove helpful.

Do you have ties to Chicago? There are only 3 schools that will give you a boost in the Chicago market just by virtue of attending their school: UChi, NU, and Michigan. I guess you could make an argument for UIUC as well.

Unless you're specifically gunning for the Chicago office of Jones Day, going to ND isn't going to give you a boost just by virtue of you being a student there. That said, ND places a higher percentage of kids in Chicago than WUSTL does. But ND also attracts more students who want Chicago than WUSTL does. We do better than ND in D.C., but that doesn't mean you can't get to D.C. from Notre Dame.

If you have the grades, you can get to the top Chicago firms from WUSTL (e.g. KirklandEllis, WinstonStrawn, JonesDay etc...). Having ties to Chicago is always helpful as well. I know 2Ls that are going to these top Vault Chicago firms, and I also know 2Ls who got offers from them but opted to take the NYC or D.C. offer instead. It's all about getting the screeners, but all 0L's see is the percentage of people that ultimately choose Chicago. It's the best metric that's available to you guys, but it's not the most accurate.

Ultimately, picking your school is just a balancing act of hedging and speculating. Hedge by minimizing costs (while still maintaining job opportunities) and by picking a school that offers a portable degree (gives you a chance at multiple markets). And speculate by identifying which markets you want and maximizing your chances of getting top grades (which is its own topic entirely)
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

cusenation wrote:

Top third at WUSTL has always made you BigLaw eligible, this is only becoming more true as our class sizes decrease. Anecdotal evidence from SBA meetings indicates that the 2Ls did very well, better than the previous year. As far as how that compares to ND, we'll have to wait for the data to come (remember to adjust for class size when you eventually compare the two).

Whenever anyone talks about the safe harbor cutoffs for BigLaw, what we're really referring to is the odds of getting a screener interview. After the screener, it comes down to how well you interview. When I tell 0L's that Top 20% is secure, i mean that it's more likely than not that you'll get multiple screeners based on your grades. But that doesn't mean Top 20% is NECESSARY. There's a difference between secure and likely. You'll likely get screeners with top third grades, but it might require more legwork and mass mailing on the part of the candidate. Ultimately everyone only ends up taking one job, so from the 0L perspective it's easy to just lump them all together, but it's not that monolithic. If you're top 10% you're going to have a very different OCI experience than if you're top 33%. Both candidates will likely get a job, but the options will be different and the top third candidate will have to invest more effort into getting screeners.

So I still stand by my statement that top 20% is pretty secure at WUSTL. That doesn't mean you're screwed if you miss it. There are plenty of people here who are top third and find jobs through OCI or mass mailing. I'm just more conservative with my estimates because I'd rather have 0L's shoot for the more secure--albeit higher--cutoff.

palbatron wrote:^^^ same. I am still interested in WashU, but ND gave me much more money (like 20k/yr more). Looking for Chicago Biglaw, so an answer here could prove helpful.

Do you have ties to Chicago? There are only 3 schools that will give you a boost in the Chicago market just by virtue of attending their school: UChi, NU, and Michigan. I guess you could make an argument for UIUC as well.

Unless you're specifically gunning for the Chicago office of Jones Day, going to ND isn't going to give you a boost just by virtue of you being a student there. That said, ND places a higher percentage of kids in Chicago than WUSTL does. But ND also attracts more students who want Chicago than WUSTL does. We do better than ND in D.C., but that doesn't mean you can't get to D.C. from Notre Dame.

If you have the grades, you can get to the top Chicago firms from WUSTL (e.g. KirklandEllis, WinstonStrawn, JonesDay etc...). Having ties to Chicago is always helpful as well. I know 2Ls that are going to these top Vault Chicago firms, and I also know 2Ls who got offers from them but opted to take the NYC or D.C. offer instead. It's all about getting the screeners, but all 0L's see is the percentage of people that ultimately choose Chicago. It's the best metric you guys available to you guys, but it's not the most accurate.

Ultimately, picking your school is just a balancing act of hedging and speculating. Hedge by minimizing costs (while still maintaining job opportunities) and by picking a school that offers a portable degree (gives you a chance at multiple markets). And speculate by identifying which markets you want and maximizing your chances of getting top grades (which is its own topic entirely)

Other schools' c/o 2017 cycles are missing out on these words of wisdom. If I get admitted I'm totally buying you a drink :wink:

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Gah. Just sent in an email, so hopefully they can increase my aid... otherwise I might have to end up at #20! The horror!

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

CookieDough wrote:Gah. Just sent in an email, so hopefully they can increase my aid... otherwise I might have to end up at #20! The horror!

Oh god, I'd trade you in a heartbeat

CookieDough

Postby CookieDough » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Gah. Just sent in an email, so hopefully they can increase my aid... otherwise I might have to end up at #20! The horror!

Oh god, I'd trade you in a heartbeat

I wish that's how it worked! Also... hai Ricky-Bobby! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”