WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
11
12%
22-23
27
29%
24-26
38
40%
27-30
14
15%
30+
4
4%
 
Total votes: 94

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Just got my scholarship offer, and I must say WUSTL is flying up my list...

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:08 pm

And registered for.........

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:26 pm

24k total. I will definitely be negotiating, but I'm v happy.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1918
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby cron1834 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Offered stacks on stacks on stacks. Gonna have a tough choice between COL-debt here and large-debt from a T14.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Aw yeah, I even have a window seat in the exit row!

Paleki09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Paleki09 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:06 pm

So I interviewed last week (Tuesday the 11th) and still haven't heard anything back. The interview seemed to go really well, and proceeded as described over and over again in this thread. I thought the trend was hearing back Friday after the interview. Has this happened to anyone else?

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:22 pm

cron1834 wrote:Offered stacks on stacks on stacks. Gonna have a tough choice between COL-debt here and large-debt from a T14.


Congrats! Not a bad place to be

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 pm

A friendly reminder for those that will be negotiating scholarships:

1) Congratulations! It's exciting to see stacks on stacks coming out. Looking forward to dm;fr returning. :lol:

2) For those of you not yet dm;fr ing looking to negotiate, keep in mind that Adcomms read TLS, and probably know who you are. If you say one thing on TLS, and negotiate and say something else, it will undermine your position. I had an Adcomm at another school specifically mention a decision thread I made. I asked for advice in that thread and was purposefully quiet about my own leanings at the time because I considered that conversation to be public information.

tl;dr: Assume everything you say on TLS is being read by the Adcomms at every school you applied to.

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Ditka747 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:A friendly reminder for those that will be negotiating scholarships:

1) Congratulations! It's exciting to see stacks on stacks coming out. Looking forward to dm;fr returning. :lol:

2) For those of you not yet dm;fr ing looking to negotiate, keep in mind that Adcomms read TLS, and probably know who you are. If you say one thing on TLS, and negotiate and say something else, it will undermine your position. I had an Adcomm at another school specifically mention a decision thread I made. I asked for advice in that thread and was purposefully quiet about my own leanings at the time because I considered that conversation to be public information.

tl;dr: Assume everything you say on TLS is being read by the Adcomms at every school you applied to.


This probably goes for law school numbers too.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:A friendly reminder for those that will be negotiating scholarships:

1) Congratulations! It's exciting to see stacks on stacks coming out. Looking forward to dm;fr returning. :lol:

2) For those of you not yet dm;fr ing looking to negotiate, keep in mind that Adcomms read TLS, and probably know who you are. If you say one thing on TLS, and negotiate and say something else, it will undermine your position. I had an Adcomm at another school specifically mention a decision thread I made. I asked for advice in that thread and was purposefully quiet about my own leanings at the time because I considered that conversation to be public information.

tl;dr: Assume everything you say on TLS is being read by the Adcomms at every school you applied to.


This probably goes for law school numbers the internet too.

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Ditka747 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ditka747 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:A friendly reminder for those that will be negotiating scholarships:

1) Congratulations! It's exciting to see stacks on stacks coming out. Looking forward to dm;fr returning. :lol:

2) For those of you not yet dm;fr ing looking to negotiate, keep in mind that Adcomms read TLS, and probably know who you are. If you say one thing on TLS, and negotiate and say something else, it will undermine your position. I had an Adcomm at another school specifically mention a decision thread I made. I asked for advice in that thread and was purposefully quiet about my own leanings at the time because I considered that conversation to be public information.

tl;dr: Assume everything you say on TLS is being read by the Adcomms at every school you applied to.


This probably goes for law school numbers the internet too.


^^^ lol yup.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sublime » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:44 pm

..

User avatar
matthewfsq
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby matthewfsq » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Animal husbandry?


The only class in high school where you watch a man jerk off a bull.


really awesome

RollingthruLawSchool
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby RollingthruLawSchool » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 pm

This may have been discussed in the previous 107 pages, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about negotiating a higher scholarship offer from wustl? Minnesota gave me ~$3000 more a year. I have been much more impressed by wash U thus far, but I am a debt-o-phobe. Anybody have any good experiences in negotiating scholarships?

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Ditka747 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:35 pm

RollingthruLawSchool wrote:This may have been discussed in the previous 107 pages, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about negotiating a higher scholarship offer from wustl? Minnesota gave me ~$3000 more a year. I have been much more impressed by wash U thus far, but I am a debt-o-phobe. Anybody have any good experiences in negotiating scholarships?


Discussed this scenario briefly during my interview. I was told it is tough negotiating state schools against WUSTL because their sources of funding are different.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:This may have been discussed in the previous 107 pages, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about negotiating a higher scholarship offer from wustl? Minnesota gave me ~$3000 more a year. I have been much more impressed by wash U thus far, but I am a debt-o-phobe. Anybody have any good experiences in negotiating scholarships?


Discussed this scenario briefly during my interview. I was told it is tough negotiating state schools against WUSTL because their sources of funding are different.


Meh. If anything WUSTL has more discretion. Sounds like a cop out to me. Negotiate hard anyway.

User avatar
guyfox
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby guyfox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Trying to decide if I should go to the March or April ASW... this decision is harder than it should be lol

RollingthruLawSchool
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby RollingthruLawSchool » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:This may have been discussed in the previous 107 pages, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about negotiating a higher scholarship offer from wustl? Minnesota gave me ~$3000 more a year. I have been much more impressed by wash U thus far, but I am a debt-o-phobe. Anybody have any good experiences in negotiating scholarships?


Discussed this scenario briefly during my interview. I was told it is tough negotiating state schools against WUSTL because their sources of funding are different.


Yes, one is taxpayer-funded and therefore probably more tightly regulated, whereas wash U is private and can make it rain on anyone they want… Plus, it's not like I'm asking for a whole bunch more.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1918
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 am

sublime wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Offered stacks on stacks on stacks. Gonna have a tough choice between COL-debt here and large-debt from a T14.



Both CuseNation and I had or could have probably had T14 offers at around sticker and chose to attend here on a full. Feel free to pm us if you have any questions. And the same goes for anyone else.


Thanks duder. I have family in the area, which is why StL is in play for me. It's nice to have a low-debt option, b/c I carry a little pre-existing Dept of Ed baggage!

As an aside, the whole process was quick with WUSTL, at least for me. It's like night and day vs. the T14s. They've been fast and professional with me.

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Ditka747 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:32 am

RollingthruLawSchool wrote:
Ditka747 wrote:
RollingthruLawSchool wrote:This may have been discussed in the previous 107 pages, but I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about negotiating a higher scholarship offer from wustl? Minnesota gave me ~$3000 more a year. I have been much more impressed by wash U thus far, but I am a debt-o-phobe. Anybody have any good experiences in negotiating scholarships?


Discussed this scenario briefly during my interview. I was told it is tough negotiating state schools against WUSTL because their sources of funding are different.


Yes, one is taxpayer-funded and therefore probably more tightly regulated, whereas wash U is private and can make it rain on anyone they want… Plus, it's not like I'm asking for a whole bunch more.


Yea idk man. Just telling you what they told me. I don't know what the law school's endowment is, but good luck to you on that. Rootin for ya.

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby AceDeuces » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 am

Is there a facebook group official or not that I could be added to?

User avatar
Jack.Sparrow
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:45 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Jack.Sparrow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:04 am

Gotta' Luv WUSTL. Seriously, the friendliest folks around.

In. With solid $$$. Unfortunately no rum :wink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNPAsjqeco

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Fiero85 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Jack.Sparrow wrote:Gotta' Luv WUSTL. Seriously, the friendliest folks around.

In. With solid $$$. Unfortunately no rum :wink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNPAsjqeco


Thank ye Jack :wink:

Welcome aboard and congrats on your scholly plunder!

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:13 pm

sublime wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Offered stacks on stacks on stacks. Gonna have a tough choice between COL-debt here and large-debt from a T14.



Both CuseNation and I had or could have probably had T14 offers at around sticker and chose to attend here on a full. Feel free to pm us if you have any questions. And the same goes for anyone else.

+1. feel free to PM either of us.

A large chunk of the 1Ls had T14 offers (with varying scholarship offers). There are undoubtedly benefits to be enjoyed by attending a T14, even at sticker. But that calculus is shaped by your career goals, your performance in law school, your performance in the workplace, personal goals, and debt.

I will say that if you choose the T14 @ sticker route, do not assume you will pay it off within 3-5 years. That's a pipe dream for most people. Assume that it'll take 6-10 years and understand that there's a chance that you leave BigLaw before the loans are paid off, either because you fall victim to layoffs or the more likely scenario: that you'll hate it and leave on your own*.

*With the caveat that not all BigLaw is created equal. NYC BigLaw is a different beast entirely from STL BigLaw. And true BigLaw is different from market-paying MidLaw

User avatar
Jack.Sparrow
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:45 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Jack.Sparrow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Jack.Sparrow wrote:Gotta' Luv WUSTL. Seriously, the friendliest folks around.

In. With solid $$$. Unfortunately no rum :wink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNPAsjqeco


Thank ye Jack :wink:

Welcome aboard and congrats on your scholly plunder!


Thanks! The WUSTL Doubloon chest appears bountiful. Now I don't need to show off my "Jar of Dirt" :wink: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nXSX3s976s




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac8876a, Christinabruin and 10 guests