WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
38%
27-30
15%
30+
5%

Total votes: 99

Fiero85

Gold

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by Fiero85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:Don't know if anyone else was just watching, but TJ Oshie just sold me on St. Louis... Is it possible to negotiate Blues tickets into our financial package?
:lol:
+1 to watching, that was an awesome game/shoot out

No jynxing, RB!!

But I like this team's chances :D
The only one who needs to watch out for jynxes is Halak. If that guy doesn't get out of his own head Elliot will be seeing a lot more action.

Ultimately, as long as the Hawks lose the season is a success.
Doubly true. Here's hoping to both!

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scotth724 wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:We've discussed it some in the "Wash U Class of 2017" alternate thread (see the "Negotiating scholarships works!" thread too if curious), but again, there's not exactly an advantage to negotiating early, and it's not a race. If anything, the schools involved will have a better idea of what their developing class is looking like if you wait a bit. Remember, prospective students who negotiate are an overall minority, by all accounts. There's gonna be plenty of time to shoot a couple emails back and forth about $$$, and schools will be better preparred to do so in a few weeks when they are less swamped with admits/WL/rejects. Personally, as painful as it is, I'd wait until March 1 to negotiate, maybe last week of Feb. But that's just my (0L) 2 cents. Good luck everybody!
What do you think is the process of negotiating when you have no other good options to negotiate with? For me I feel like it will come down to: I need more to attend/if I get this much I will definitely attend.
Although you may have a "more convincing" case if you have other offers to present, the reality of it is that all you need on your side is "I won't attend your institution". In the end, it's the same to them whether you go to Harvard instead of their school or sit in your parents basement instead of their school--they're trying to get you to attend, and so long as you aren't sufficiently incented to do so, if they want you as a student, they must incent you further.

Edit: To speak to my point a bit further: you just need a reason for not attending that they believe. It could be you got a full ride to Harvard and need more money from them to attend, it could be that you didn't even apply anywhere else but you're unwilling to shoulder that much debt. Either way, if they don't give you more $ you're not attending, what do they care what other offers you have?
Not sure I agree with this logic. At schools with small admit classes (that is where the # of admits is close to the # of matrics) this may be the case. However, schools near USNWR20 admit a lot more students than they need to matriculate. As such, they don't care whether you go to Harvard or your parents couch, but the medians and 25ths are riding on which students of the admit class actually matriculate. They will sling money at the higher numbered admits and let low numbered admits sweat it out.
(Within reason, they aren't going to sling money at a 3.9/173 unless they have real reason to believe they want WUSTL. Thus, negotiating without other offers has little to do with the other schools. It's all about do they need this persons numbers to help with their medians? If so, do they need to give her/him more money to keep him here?

They actually already know what percentage of admits they want to matriculate, meaning they know what percentage are acceptable losses. They expect many of us to go to Harvard/our parents' basements.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:27 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scotth724 wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:We've discussed it some in the "Wash U Class of 2017" alternate thread (see the "Negotiating scholarships works!" thread too if curious), but again, there's not exactly an advantage to negotiating early, and it's not a race. If anything, the schools involved will have a better idea of what their developing class is looking like if you wait a bit. Remember, prospective students who negotiate are an overall minority, by all accounts. There's gonna be plenty of time to shoot a couple emails back and forth about $$$, and schools will be better preparred to do so in a few weeks when they are less swamped with admits/WL/rejects. Personally, as painful as it is, I'd wait until March 1 to negotiate, maybe last week of Feb. But that's just my (0L) 2 cents. Good luck everybody!
What do you think is the process of negotiating when you have no other good options to negotiate with? For me I feel like it will come down to: I need more to attend/if I get this much I will definitely attend.
Although you may have a "more convincing" case if you have other offers to present, the reality of it is that all you need on your side is "I won't attend your institution". In the end, it's the same to them whether you go to Harvard instead of their school or sit in your parents basement instead of their school--they're trying to get you to attend, and so long as you aren't sufficiently incented to do so, if they want you as a student, they must incent you further.

Edit: To speak to my point a bit further: you just need a reason for not attending that they believe. It could be you got a full ride to Harvard and need more money from them to attend, it could be that you didn't even apply anywhere else but you're unwilling to shoulder that much debt. Either way, if they don't give you more $ you're not attending, what do they care what other offers you have?
Not sure I agree with this logic. At schools with small admit classes (that is where the # of admits is close to the # of matrics) this may be the case. However, schools near USNWR20 admit a lot more students than they need to matriculate. As such, they don't care whether you go to Harvard or your parents couch, but the medians and 25ths are riding on which students of the admit class actually matriculate. They will sling money at the higher numbered admits and let low numbered admits sweat it out.
(Within reason, they aren't going to sling money at a 3.9/173 unless they have real reason to believe they want WUSTL. Thus, negotiating without other offers has little to do with the other schools. It's all about do they need this persons numbers to help with their medians? If so, do they need to give her/him more money to keep him here?

They actually already know what percentage of admits they want to matriculate, meaning they know what percentage are acceptable losses. They expect many of us to go to Harvard/our parents' basements.
You're just restating Fiero's case with the caveat of yield percentages. Most schools have their yield percentages mapped in advance, and typically that percentage falls with the school's rank (roughly). This just makes the school's job that much harder, trying to lure the right prospectives with the right numbers. If you're in that sweet spot, can make it clear that you actually do want Wash U, and aren't just using them for leverage against other schools, it doesn't matter whether you're going up, down, or out. In other words, if they want you bad enough they're going to throw money at you to keep you from choosing X alternative option.

I may have just said the same things everyone's been saying already.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

You're just restating Fiero's case with the caveat of yield percentages. Most schools have their yield percentages mapped in advance, and typically that percentage falls with the school's rank (roughly). This just makes the school's job that much harder, trying to lure the right prospectives with the right numbers. If you're in that sweet spot, can make it clear that you actually do want Wash U, and aren't just using them for leverage against other schools, it doesn't matter whether you're going up, down, or out. In other words, if they want you bad enough they're going to throw money at you to keep you from choosing X alternative option.

I may have just said the same things everyone's been saying already.
I think we are all generally on the same page, but I guess my point was that about half of their admit class does not have the numbers for them to care too much about giving money to, at least not until very late in the cycle. Thus, it doesn't matter what case you have, they would rather you sit in parents' basement than give you more money --money they could use to bring in higher #s.

But, you touched on that with your sweet spot bit.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Lebrarian_Booker wrote:
scotth724 wrote:

But they still need a certain number of admits to matriculate to maintain those precious medians/25ths so what difference does it make if you attend Harvard or go work at Wal-Mart? If they are stingy with $ it can cause medians to fall so in theory, it doesn't really matter to them why you don't come, only that you don't. I think this is what Fiero was saying. Obviously if you are an admit that is < median LSAT and GPA, they don't really care (or at least not as much).

Or look at it like this: if admit X and admit Y have the same numbers, I doubt the determining factor on if they throw more money at him/her will be "well if we don't offer them more money, admit X won't attend law school at all but admit Y will attend Harvard instead." For the purposes of their goals, it shouldn't really matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:36 pm

yossarian wrote:I think we are all generally on the same page, but I guess my point was that about half of their admit class does not have the numbers for them to care too much about giving money to, at least not until very late in the cycle. Thus, it doesn't matter what case you have, they would rather you sit in parents' basement than give you more money --money they could use to bring in higher #s.

But, you touched on that with your sweet spot bit.
LET'S GET IT wrote: But they still need a certain number of admits to matriculate to maintain those precious medians/25ths so what difference does it make if you attend Harvard or go work at Wal-Mart? If they are stingy with $ it can cause medians to fall so in theory, it doesn't really matter to them why you don't come, only that you don't. I think this is what Fiero was saying. Obviously if you are an admit that is < median LSAT and GPA, they don't really care (or at least not as much).

Or look at it like this: if admit X and admit Y have the same numbers, I doubt the determining factor on if they throw more money at him/her will be "well if we don't offer them more money, admit X won't attend law school at all but admit Y will attend Harvard instead." For the purposes of their goals, it shouldn't really matter.
Everybody's right and I love all of you. Let's get drunk.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Haha I feel like good ole Ricky brought home the real point there at the end

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 pm

children play nice...

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 pm

LyricsToLitigation wrote:children play nice...
Didn't I already politely ask you to shut your stupid mouth in another thread, Lyrics? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Didn't I already politely ask you to shut your stupid mouth in another thread, Lyrics? :D
as much as i want to make a joke about asking your mom to do the opposite cause she "wants to go fast"... i will take the high road

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

love u bro :-D

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:27 pm

LyricsToLitigation wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
as much as i want to make a joke about asking your mom to do the opposite cause she "wants to go fast"... i will take the high road

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
LyricsToLitigation wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

check yo inbox playah!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:07 am

I'm liking this school more every day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LyricsToLitigation

Bronze

Post by LyricsToLitigation » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:10 am

scotth724 wrote:I'm liking this school more every day.
this board has that effect on people

Ditka747

New

Post by Ditka747 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:17 am

Received my acceptance email on Friday. Hopefully I'll be receiving more info next week.

Application sent 1/09/14
Admissions requested interview 1/27/14
Interview 2/12/14
Admitted 2/14/14 (No mention of scholarship on status site or with acceptance email. Bad sign?)
Last edited by Ditka747 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paleki09

New

Post by Paleki09 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:27 am

Ditka747 wrote:Received my acceptance email on Friday. Hopefully I'll be receiving more info next week.
Did you interview?

Ditka747

New

Post by Ditka747 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 am

Paleki09 wrote:
Ditka747 wrote:Received my acceptance email on Friday. Hopefully I'll be receiving more info next week.
Did you interview?
Yes, on 2/12.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Paleki09

New

Post by Paleki09 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:15 am

Ditka747 wrote:
Paleki09 wrote:
Did you interview?
Yes, on 2/12.
Congrats! I interviewed on 2/11, still waiting :)

guyfox

New

Post by guyfox » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 am

Application sent 1/09/14
Interview 2/12/14
Admitted 2/14/14 (No mention of scholarship on status site or with acceptance email. Bad sign?)
Congratulations! This is exactly my application schedule, except I applied on 1/12. But otherwise I interviewed the same day you did, and received the acceptance email Friday :)

I don't think they mention or even necessarily know anything about scholarships when they send out the acceptance email. It seems like people have been getting that info 2-3 weeks after being accepted. So I wouldn't worry.

let.me.in.please

New

Post by let.me.in.please » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 am

Did anyone apply for the Webster Society Scholarship?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:04 am

let.me.in.please wrote:Did anyone apply for the Webster Society Scholarship?
Yes! So far, myself and ojala are the only TLSers we know. Neither of us got confirmation when we sent our essays in... Did you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ditka747

New

Post by Ditka747 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:55 pm

guyfox wrote:

Application sent 1/09/14
Interview 2/12/14
Congratulations! This is exactly my application schedule, except I applied on 1/12. But otherwise I interviewed the same day you did, and received the acceptance email Friday :)

I don't think they mention or even necessarily know anything about scholarships when they send out the acceptance email. It seems like people have been getting that info 2-3 weeks after being accepted. So I wouldn't worry.
Congrats! Are you by chance the other candidate I ran into at the Hyatt Starbucks before the interview?

guyfox

New

Post by guyfox » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
Congrats! Are you by chance the other candidate I ran into at the Hyatt Starbucks before the interview?
Nope, I did the phone interview because I'm over on the east coast. That's funny though, I think there were a lot of interviews done last week.

mazer

New

Post by mazer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Application sent 1/09/14
Interview 2/12/14
Congrats on the acceptance! I interviewed 2/5, was accepted 2/7, and received my scholarship info via e-mail this past Friday (2/14). The 2-3 week time frame has been relatively standard, but it may be they're a tad bit faster at this point. Either way, definitely no reason to be worried.

whjohnso444

Bronze

Post by whjohnso444 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Is it too early to negotiate? I was offered 45k and umn offered 90k so I figured I could use them to get it matched. Any insight on this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”