WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
38%
27-30
15%
30+
5%

Total votes: 99

Chinese_Mafia

New

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by Chinese_Mafia » Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm

cannibal ox wrote:You know how the boss always waits to fire you until the end of the day on a Friday? Well I'm sorry to say I'll be withdrawing from WUSTL shortly. Sad to go, it really is a great school and I know I would have enjoyed attending, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Good luck to all those matriculating in the fall, or still waiting on decisions.
You decide to go Emory?

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 pm

yossarian71 wrote:Sorry cannibal.

sitting on an exploding offer now... Figuratively
Print it out so you can sit on it literally, only then will all the answers be clear

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Chinese_Mafia wrote:
Dredd_2017 wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote: You're going to have an easier time getting wherever you want to go if you have ties. I wouldn't count on biglaw, but 10% of the class of 2013 did go to NY.
We might be able to help a little better if you let us know your offer, your goals, and which other schools you're considering.
This was my main concern when looking at WUSTL over some of the other offers I received, particularly from regionals with strong employment stats that focused on just one area versus WUSTL's broader (But comparatively weaker) reach. I have no ties anywhere in the midwest, and for the east coast nothing I could put in a resume unless "Grandparents live in this city" and "The Smithsonian is awesome I've been four times" are acceptable items. I just kind of hope that the economy continues to improve and another 2011 doesn't occur during my OCI year.
I feel your concern. My sister went to Fordham and she graduated top 30% of the class last year. It was through her tremendous efforts in lobbying & networking that she landed this BIG LAW FIRM. I just don't think I can go that far to secure a job by networking.
Does this mean you're not going to WUSTL, as Fordham actually has an even higher NLJ 2013 percentage than WUSTL so I assume that networking will be a huge part of getting biglaw outside of the top 5%. Or does it just mean you're not looking forward to sending messages to random lawyers on linkedin after 1L grades :D

P.S. Just found out you don't get that awkward quote spacing if you start your next sentece right after the [/quote].

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri May 02, 2014 7:35 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:Sorry cannibal.

sitting on an exploding offer now... Figuratively
Print it out so you can sit on it literally, only then will all the answers be clear
This was gold.

Chinese_Mafia

New

Post by Chinese_Mafia » Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 am

Dredd_2017 wrote:
Chinese_Mafia wrote:
Dredd_2017 wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote: You're going to have an easier time getting wherever you want to go if you have ties. I wouldn't count on biglaw, but 10% of the class of 2013 did go to NY.
We might be able to help a little better if you let us know your offer, your goals, and which other schools you're considering.
This was my main concern when looking at WUSTL over some of the other offers I received, particularly from regionals with strong employment stats that focused on just one area versus WUSTL's broader (But comparatively weaker) reach. I have no ties anywhere in the midwest, and for the east coast nothing I could put in a resume unless "Grandparents live in this city" and "The Smithsonian is awesome I've been four times" are acceptable items. I just kind of hope that the economy continues to improve and another 2011 doesn't occur during my OCI year.
I feel your concern. My sister went to Fordham and she graduated top 30% of the class last year. It was through her tremendous efforts in lobbying & networking that she landed this BIG LAW FIRM. I just don't think I can go that far to secure a job by networking.
Does this mean you're not going to WUSTL, as Fordham actually has an even higher NLJ 2013 percentage than WUSTL so I assume that networking will be a huge part of getting biglaw outside of the top 5%. Or does it just mean you're not looking forward to sending messages to random lawyers on linkedin after 1L grades :D

P.S. Just found out you don't get that awkward quote spacing if you start your next sentece right after the
.[/quote]
My sister has a strong affinity about me going to Fordham Law. I do like WUSTL but I am on WL.... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat May 03, 2014 11:06 am

Hey, so for the 20 of you attending (according to the poll), can you guys go post in the general c/o 2017 thread? We have 14 people committed in there, so it'd be great to be able to add another 6!

almostthere1

New

Post by almostthere1 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

So I'm in the city visiting, should be on campus tomorrow. Very excited to finally make it out and see WashU!

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Had deposited, but just withdrew. Full ride is back on the table. This was such an incredibly hard decision, but I hope the money goes to one of you! Good luck!

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 pm

samoby wrote:Had deposited, but just withdrew. Full ride is back on the table. This was such an incredibly hard decision, but I hope the money goes to one of you! Good luck!
Best of luck. I'm thinking that I may join you with that exact same decision later this week, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Bittersweet :/ Sad to lose cool people, but I also want your money. Good luck!

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 am

samoby wrote:Had deposited, but just withdrew. Full ride is back on the table. This was such an incredibly hard decision, but I hope the money goes to one of you! Good luck!
For the love of god. That's not how it works. There isn't some pile of money labeled 'scholarship money' where when someone rejects a scholarship the money goes to someone else.

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 am

Randomnumbers wrote:
For the love of god. That's not how it works. There isn't some pile of money labeled 'scholarship money' where when someone rejects a scholarship the money goes to someone else.
Largely true, but there is an incentive for a school that loses more 1st depositers than it anticipates (Don't know if that is the case here) to bump schollies among the next echelon of candidates to ensure they don't bail as well. Put simply if more people who got full rides ditch than expected, the people who got just below full due to high stats may be seen as a flight risk and schollies adjusted accordingly.

Plus, when you leave a thread filled with TLS'ers you've become friendly (Or sparred verbally) with over a few months it's courteous to leave a goodbye message like the above.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 am

Dredd_2017 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:
Largely true, but there is an incentive for a school that loses more 1st depositers than it anticipates (Don't know if that is the case here) to bump schollies among the next echelon of candidates to ensure they don't bail as well. Put simply if more people who got full rides ditch than expected, the people who got just below full due to high stats may be seen as a flight risk and schollies adjusted accordingly.

Plus, when you leave a thread filled with TLS'ers you've become friendly (Or sparred verbally) with over a few months it's courteous to leave a goodbye message like the above.
Yeah, um, sorry we're trying to be friendly? I think Dredd covered everything, but no need to be a dick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon May 05, 2014 2:49 am

FACT:

There is actually a huge pile of money is a leprechaun-like cauldron under an artificial rainbow in the admissions office. By secret law school by-laws, they have to give away all of it in scholarships. They also constantly yell something about their Lucky Charms, but I don't know what that's all about.

I just wanted you guys to know how financial aid works at Wustl, since it's something of a mystery.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 pm

the adcomm doesn't have some pot of scholly money that they're required to spend. But they do have an idea of how much scholarship they can distribute in relation to the revenue they're bringing in. And they have target GPA/LSAT medians they're trying to hit, which is usually achieved by spending scholarship money.

So maybe they won't be like "oh shit X withdrew, we must give her $ to someone else"

But the withdrawal of one applicant could definitely have an impact on the medians and the scholarship-versus-revenue calculus, which could lead to them increasing someone else's award in order to keep the same median and perhaps admitting another applicant to compensate on the revenue side

Either way, this is clearly a case of an 0L leaving well-wishes to his/her peers who are still in the pool, which i don't think is deserving of snark.

Lets try to keep the sarcasm to a minimum in this thread, we were all 0L's once. And that's not exactly the type of culture that we (or the adcomm) advertise about our school, so lets practice what we preach :D. It's possible to give good advice/insight in a positive way, just like the older WUSTL students did for us
Good luck to wherever you end up!

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Does anyone know if any increases to merit aid will be considered beyond this point? Or is all the money pretty much given out already?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

cusenation wrote: Lets try to keep the sarcasm to a minimum in this thread, we were all 0L's once. And that's not exactly the type of culture that we (or the adcomm) advertise about our school, so lets practice what we preach :D. It's possible to give good advice/insight in a positive way, just like the older WUSTL students did for us
beautiful people here. beautiful people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon May 05, 2014 3:18 pm

rahulg91 wrote:Does anyone know if any increases to merit aid will be considered beyond this point? Or is all the money pretty much given out already?
I'm still waiting to hear back, while other people have been told that they wouldn't be getting more money.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm

rahulg91 wrote:Does anyone know if any increases to merit aid will be considered beyond this point? Or is all the money pretty much given out already?
It's not over. But we are coming to the end.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
It's not over. But we are coming to the end.
They're not done giving out money until they've locked in a class with satisfactory medians. The class (and therefore the medians) fluctuate well into the summer because people defect for schools after getting off WL's or they just withdraw completely, so they're not done until they're done lol

(of course that doesn't mean i'm saying you should wait until August to make a final decision...just saying that it's possible to get more money haha)

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:56 pm

I tried to negotiate for more scholly the last few days and ultimately was rebuffed (Politely) although my exploding offer deadline was extended by a few days. I'm now trying to decide between WUSTL at near full vs Illinois with full + stipend, gahhhh.

Hope they just magically change their minds and throw me a little more cash before I have to make a call.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon May 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:I tried to negotiate for more scholly the last few days and ultimately was rebuffed (Politely) although my exploding offer deadline was extended by a few days. I'm now trying to decide between WUSTL at near full vs Illinois with full + stipend, gahhhh.

Hope they just magically change their minds and throw me a little more cash before I have to make a call.
oooh..yeah that's a tough call. But it's a win-win situation. Good problem to have. Can't really make a wrong decision here..just a "less-good" one

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 pm

cusenation wrote:
Dredd_2017 wrote:I tried to negotiate for more scholly the last few days and ultimately was rebuffed (Politely) although my exploding offer deadline was extended by a few days. I'm now trying to decide between WUSTL at near full vs Illinois with full + stipend, gahhhh.

oooh..yeah that's a tough call. But it's a win-win situation. Good problem to have. Can't really make a wrong decision here..just a "less-good" one
Actually you're one of the few 1L wustluts I've seen about the place being all friendly (Sublime, where you at), do you have any thoughts? Even though my answer will ultimately come down to how much I'm willing to pay for a slightly better clerk rate / preftige, having been at WUSTL for a year what do you think of the place? My "Ideal" is Biglaw (lol I know), and the two are fairly close in that regard with Illinois having a slight edge. Having said that I have 0 ties to the Midwest I could put on a resume and I know that's something that comes up a lot for WUSTL whereas I assume Chicago is used to transplants.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon May 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Actually you're one of the few 1L wustluts I've seen about the place being all friendly (Sublime, where you at), do you have any thoughts? Even though my answer will ultimately come down to how much I'm willing to pay for a slightly better clerk rate / preftige, having been at WUSTL for a year what do you think of the place? My "Ideal" is Biglaw (lol I know), and the two are fairly close in that regard with Illinois having a slight edge. Having said that I have 0 ties to the Midwest I could put on a resume and I know that's something that comes up a lot for WUSTL whereas I assume Chicago is used to transplants.
Do you mind if i post here in the thread? or do you want a PM?

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 pm

cusenation wrote:
Dredd_2017 wrote:Actually you're one of the few 1L wustluts I've seen about the place being all friendly (Sublime, where you at), do you have any thoughts? Even though my answer will ultimately come down to how much I'm willing to pay for a slightly better clerk rate / preftige, having been at WUSTL for a year what do you think of the place? My "Ideal" is Biglaw (lol I know), and the two are fairly close in that regard with Illinois having a slight edge. Having said that I have 0 ties to the Midwest I could put on a resume and I know that's something that comes up a lot for WUSTL whereas I assume Chicago is used to transplants.
Do you mind if i post here in the thread? or do you want a PM?
In the thread is fine, from the fact I just got a few PM's within ten minutes of my last post I can see that this topic is clearly a hot one!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”