Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby thenewguy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 pm

I wouldn't look too into the status checker updates. Mine updated literally every single day. I went complete in late September and got in 11/4 RD, every time i checked in between it updated to the current date. I just checked the checker out of habit and it still updates till today's date.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

thenewguy wrote:I wouldn't look too into the status checker updates. Mine updated literally every single day. I went complete in late September and got in 11/4 RD, every time i checked in between it updated to the current date. I just checked the checker out of habit and it still updates till today's date.

Michigan's is known to update everyday. Still important to check regularly though because that's the first place to find out the decision. Congrats!

User avatar
drybowser92
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby drybowser92 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Longtime lurker on this thread since I applied ED 11/6. I've had a pretty speedy process so far, got my status checker on 11/12 and went complete 11/13! Not expecting too fast of a response, but how long does it generally take to go from complete to a decision? Only asking because I'm wondering if it would be prudent to wait with my other apps for a couple weeks or send them ASAP. Congrats to all the admits so far :D

User avatar
dusters
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby dusters » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm

drybowser92 wrote:Longtime lurker on this thread since I applied ED 11/6. I've had a pretty speedy process so far, got my status checker on 11/12 and went complete 11/13! Not expecting too fast of a response, but how long does it generally take to go from complete to a decision? Only asking because I'm wondering if it would be prudent to wait with my other apps for a couple weeks or send them ASAP. Congrats to all the admits so far :D

That depends what you think your chances are of getting in at Michigan, but I'd probably try to have at least your other top options in ASAP. Those few hundred dollars in apps could be 40k in scholarships later. My whole process in ED took 3 weeks.

User avatar
drybowser92
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby drybowser92 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:34 pm

dusters wrote:
drybowser92 wrote:Longtime lurker on this thread since I applied ED 11/6. I've had a pretty speedy process so far, got my status checker on 11/12 and went complete 11/13! Not expecting too fast of a response, but how long does it generally take to go from complete to a decision? Only asking because I'm wondering if it would be prudent to wait with my other apps for a couple weeks or send them ASAP. Congrats to all the admits so far :D

That depends what you think your chances are of getting in at Michigan, but I'd probably try to have at least your other top options in ASAP. Those few hundred dollars in apps could be 40k in scholarships later. My whole process in ED took 3 weeks.


Thanks for the response! I'm all set to go on my other apps. Given how fast my process has been so far, I was hoping to wait it out for a lightning reply from Mich. But since I'm basically a coin toss for Mich it's probably the best move to cover my bases. Going to apply for 9 other schools with only 3 fee waivers so it's time to clear my bank account I guess. Any idea how much waiting a couple weeks longer would disadvantage a T14 applicant? or does it just depend on the school?

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby thechancellor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:50 pm

drybowser92 wrote:
dusters wrote:
drybowser92 wrote:Longtime lurker on this thread since I applied ED 11/6. I've had a pretty speedy process so far, got my status checker on 11/12 and went complete 11/13! Not expecting too fast of a response, but how long does it generally take to go from complete to a decision? Only asking because I'm wondering if it would be prudent to wait with my other apps for a couple weeks or send them ASAP. Congrats to all the admits so far :D

That depends what you think your chances are of getting in at Michigan, but I'd probably try to have at least your other top options in ASAP. Those few hundred dollars in apps could be 40k in scholarships later. My whole process in ED took 3 weeks.


Thanks for the response! I'm all set to go on my other apps. Given how fast my process has been so far, I was hoping to wait it out for a lightning reply from Mich. But since I'm basically a coin toss for Mich it's probably the best move to cover my bases. Going to apply for 9 other schools with only 3 fee waivers so it's time to clear my bank account I guess. Any idea how much waiting a couple weeks longer would disadvantage a T14 applicant? or does it just depend on the school?


My understanding is that most of them are moving forward now with their apps - I definitely think that if I were you I'd submit to at least a few more, though you could perhaps hold on a few. It also may be worth reaching out to the schools directly and inquiring about fee waivers. It sounds like several people have had success with that.

User avatar
drybowser92
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby drybowser92 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Alright, nice. Thanks for the advice, I'll be applying to my fee waiver schools + Berkeley in the next couple days and sending out fee waiver emails in the mean-time. Btw, if anyone has any questions about Ann Arbor let me know! I'm an undergrad here so I know the city really well. I've also been guilty of studying at the law school now and again :lol:

User avatar
The Dark Kite
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby The Dark Kite » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Checking in.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Checking in; do y'all think omitting a Why Michigan? essay would effect scholarship money? With my numbers, LSN has 100% acceptance rate, but I would consider Michigan with the right scholarship.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:21 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Checking in; do y'all think omitting a Why Michigan? essay would effect scholarship money? With my numbers, LSN has 100% acceptance rate, but I would consider Michigan with the right scholarship.


Wont impact scholarship money at all. Michigan has a scholarships structure based purely on #. Aside from the Darrow, which definitely has more holistic factors, you will know what you can get based on gpa/lsat.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby paglababa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Checking in; do y'all think omitting a Why Michigan? essay would effect scholarship money? With my numbers, LSN has 100% acceptance rate, but I would consider Michigan with the right scholarship.


Wont impact scholarship money at all. Michigan has a scholarships structure based purely on #. Aside from the Darrow, which definitely has more holistic factors, you will know what you can get based on gpa/lsat.


Well that's good to know that it will not affect money. But what about admissions? I was wondering if Michigan YPs? I don't want to write ANY WHY essays unless 1. YP 2. affects $ money

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 pm

paglababa wrote:Well that's good to know that it will not affect money. But what about admissions? I was wondering if Michigan YPs? I don't want to write ANY WHY essays unless 1. YP 2. affects $ money

Michigan has tried to dispel the notion of YP, but it still seems prudent to write a Why Mich anyways because it shouldn't take that much time or effort.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 pm

paglababa wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Checking in; do y'all think omitting a Why Michigan? essay would effect scholarship money? With my numbers, LSN has 100% acceptance rate, but I would consider Michigan with the right scholarship.


Wont impact scholarship money at all. Michigan has a scholarships structure based purely on #. Aside from the Darrow, which definitely has more holistic factors, you will know what you can get based on gpa/lsat.


Well that's good to know that it will not affect money. But what about admissions? I was wondering if Michigan YPs? I don't want to write ANY WHY essays unless 1. YP 2. affects $ money


Put your own numbers into mylsn, but compared to VP the yield protect is rather mild. For my numbers 8 of 8 were accepted, but half were WLed at VP.

Image

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh yeah, certainly not anywhere close to UVA. But it would make sense that all schools besides HYS participate in some mild form of YP.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

So is everyone else, if accepted and attending of course, planning on living in the lawyers club? It's obviously the most convenient housing, and I think usually about half of the 1l class ends up living there. Unfortunately it's not open during the summer, but from talking with current students subletting in AA during the summer is super cheap, aka from $300-500 on the low end. Also for during the regular term, it looks like we really lucked out with the recent renovations. I wasn't able to see any of the actual rooms during my tour, but everything else is really nice, and there are a few pictures on the websites of the rooms and they certainly look nice (albeit small).

User avatar
dusters
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby dusters » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:40 pm

scotth724 wrote:So is everyone else, if accepted and attending of course, planning on living in the lawyers club? It's obviously the most convenient housing, and I think usually about half of the 1l class ends up living there. Unfortunately it's not open during the summer, but from talking with current students subletting in AA during the summer is super cheap, aka from $300-500 on the low end. Also for during the regular term, it looks like we really lucked out with the recent renovations. I wasn't able to see any of the actual rooms during my tour, but everything else is really nice, and there are a few pictures on the websites of the rooms and they certainly look nice (albeit small).

I'm leaning toward staying in LC. Having everything right there is really appealing to me, and not having to cook 12 meals a week is pretty nice even if it average food. COL seems to be pretty close either way depending on how much you pay for rent.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:44 pm

dusters wrote:I'm leaning toward staying in LC. Having everything right there is really appealing to me, and not having to cook 12 meals a week is pretty nice even if it average food. COL seems to be pretty close either way depending on how much you pay for rent.

Exactly. And AA in general isn't as cheap as people would think, so many people looking for good housing. I think I'd be sold on LC with all of this alone, but I also really think socially I'd prefer it for the first year. Especially considering how many people end up in the LC.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 pm


rendlelaw
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby rendlelaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Lawyer's Club is a little tight on space for the two little ones. I'll be searching further out.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby Entchen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm

scotth724 wrote:
dusters wrote:I'm leaning toward staying in LC. Having everything right there is really appealing to me, and not having to cook 12 meals a week is pretty nice even if it average food. COL seems to be pretty close either way depending on how much you pay for rent.

Exactly. And AA in general isn't as cheap as people would think, so many people looking for good housing. I think I'd be sold on LC with all of this alone, but I also really think socially I'd prefer it for the first year. Especially considering how many people end up in the LC.

Y'all should consider the Phid House. It is the best housing for law students in Ann Arbor -- super cheap, super close, and best of all, fantastic community. The house is pretty evenly distributed between 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls, plus we always have a few LLMs, and about half men and half women. It's a great way to meet people from different groups in the law school, and the house itself is awesome. All single rooms, huge shared living rooms, big kitchen, multiple porches where we hang out and grill, a maybe-soon-to-be-working? fireplace, projector tv with every channel ever, parking on-site for $50/month, etc. Here's our website: http://phidhouse.org/

PM me or email phidboard@umich.edu if you have questions :)

HOS
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby HOS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Checking in. Finally submitted all my apps, too. Good luck all.

cslouisck
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby cslouisck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 pm

scotth724 wrote:
dusters wrote:I'm leaning toward staying in LC. Having everything right there is really appealing to me, and not having to cook 12 meals a week is pretty nice even if it average food. COL seems to be pretty close either way depending on how much you pay for rent.

Exactly. And AA in general isn't as cheap as people would think, so many people looking for good housing. I think I'd be sold on LC with all of this alone, but I also really think socially I'd prefer it for the first year. Especially considering how many people end up in the LC.


Benefits of living in the Lawyers Club = being around lots of your fellow 1Ls, and you're really close to Rick's.
Drawbacks of living in the Lawyers Club = being around lots of your fellow 1Ls, and you're really close to Rick's.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 am

Well I've definitely heard of Rick's haha.

User avatar
livefromannarbor
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby livefromannarbor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

Surprise admit when I checked my status check as soon as I woke up this morning (neurotic? Sure.)! I'm absolutely stoked because Michigan is my dream.

In case anyone is interested:

RD
Submitted: 10/23
Complete: 10/31
Decision: 11/15
Stats: 168/3.6

I'm also a Michigan UG, and more in love with Ann Arbor than ever! Congrats to everyone who has gotten in, and I hope the wait is short for the rest of you who haven't heard!

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 am

livefromannarbor wrote:Surprise admit when I checked my status check as soon as I woke up this morning (neurotic? Sure.)! I'm absolutely stoked because Michigan is my dream.

In case anyone is interested:

RD
Submitted: 10/23
Complete: 10/31
Decision: 11/15
Stats: 168/3.6

I'm also a Michigan UG, and more in love with Ann Arbor than ever! Congrats to everyone who has gotten in, and I hope the wait is short for the rest of you who haven't heard!

Congrats! That also seems like super fast turn around for RD.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ewan0707, jtg1017, potterotter, premalone, WamBam, whodareswins and 17 guests