Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bhs12
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby bhs12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
albs18 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:I mean, we know that the applicant pool was a little hard to predict this year. And we know it was probably a bit down in volume with smaller decreases in the 165+, 170+ tiers, right? So, why should Michigan need so much time to sort this out and start making decisions?

Asking genuinely, not trying to complain. Do people think Michigan's applicant pool is that far off what they projected? What is going on?!?


I am curious about this too. My best guess is that schools are focusing more on softs now that hard numbers are down. More attention (reading and rereading) is probably being given to the PS, resume, and LORs.


I would actually think it's the opposite. If numbers are down and schools are concerned about maintaining medians, then softs should factor less into the equation than they did previously.


I would imagine that it depends on admission offices' specific philosophies of merit and their institutional priorities. Some schools may care more about maintaining their medians, whereas others may be more concerned with applicants' 'fit' or well-roundedness, or have the liberty to care less about scores anyways (ergo HYS). Presumably, in light of the reduced volume of high scores, schools in the latter category would be spending more time looking at softs per Albs; schools in the former category would be worrying about numbers, as you suggest.

User avatar
Estreetshuffler
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby Estreetshuffler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Anybody hear back who sent in around 1/9?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Estreetshuffler wrote:Anybody hear back who sent in around 1/9?

No shot.

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby Chriz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't understand the delay. I really don't think I have a shot of getting in so why won't they just reject me already and put me out of my misery?

Samsing
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby Samsing » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:15 pm

I applied early October and still haven't heard back yet. I'm above both 75th's and I'm thinking about sending in a why Michigan essay. Does anyone know how I would add it to my application? Do I just email it to admissions?

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby capt_slow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Samsing wrote:I applied early October and still haven't heard back yet. I'm above both 75th's and I'm thinking about sending in a why Michigan essay. Does anyone know how I would add it to my application? Do I just email it to admissions?


Yes, you can email it or snail mail it... I would just email.

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby vivala » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Checking in. Applied today because I got the deadline extension email. I'm in for a very long wait!
Last edited by vivala on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby vuthy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:51 pm

vivala wrote:Checking in. Applied today because I got the deadline extension deadline email. I'm in for a very long wait!


This, along w/ the HLS policy change for Feb LSATs, along w/ a couple anecdotal things, really convince me that schools are now coming face to face with what a third straight year of dramatically declining applicants looks like. And they still can't believe it.

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby vivala » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:00 pm

vuthy wrote:
vivala wrote:Checking in. Applied today because I got the deadline extension deadline email. I'm in for a very long wait!


This, along w/ the HLS policy change for Feb LSATs, along w/ a couple anecdotal things, really convince me that schools are now coming face to face with what a third straight year of dramatically declining applicants looks like. And they still can't believe it.


Agreed. I have decent numbers, but definitely not ones that Michigan should be begging for.

User avatar
lejabberwocky
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby lejabberwocky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 am

JustHawkin wrote:
Estreetshuffler wrote:Anybody hear back who sent in around 1/9?

No shot.


I submitted 1/6 and just got in via status checker today.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby yossarian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 am

lejabberwocky wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
Estreetshuffler wrote:Anybody hear back who sent in around 1/9?

No shot.


I submitted 1/6 and just got in via status checker today.


Congrats!

User avatar
lejabberwocky
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby lejabberwocky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 am

Thank you!

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby redial38 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 am

I'm starting to think my status checker page is just going to say "complete" for forever.

User avatar
albs18
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby albs18 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 am

redial38 wrote:I'm starting to think my status checker page is just going to say "complete" for forever.


+1

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby capt_slow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am

albs18 wrote:
redial38 wrote:I'm starting to think my status checker page is just going to say "complete" for forever.


+1

anonymous092
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby anonymous092 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey, don't lose hope! I applied 1/2 and just got in today via status checker! Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 pm

anonymous092 wrote:Hey, don't lose hope! I applied 1/2 and just got in today via status checker! Good luck to everyone!


lol "don't lose hope"

applied mid-November

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby Chriz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
anonymous092 wrote:Hey, don't lose hope! I applied 1/2 and just got in today via status checker! Good luck to everyone!


lol "don't lose hope"

applied mid-November

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Same here... I applied early November.. I get that they might be holding on to some in case they don't get the numbers that they want but at least officially waitlist me instead of just not saying anything.

BostonFuse51
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby BostonFuse51 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Applied October 10th. Still complete. Over 4 months....I don't know why they just won't ding me.

User avatar
BlackCanary
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby BlackCanary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 pm

At what point is it ok to politely ask where your status checker is?
I probably won't ask just because it keeps me from refreshing it every five seconds, but some info would be much appreciated.
How long did it take for everyone to receive theirs?

User avatar
mes10d
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby mes10d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 pm

vivala wrote:
vuthy wrote:
vivala wrote:Checking in. Applied today because I got the deadline extension deadline email. I'm in for a very long wait!


This, along w/ the HLS policy change for Feb LSATs, along w/ a couple anecdotal things, really convince me that schools are now coming face to face with what a third straight year of dramatically declining applicants looks like. And they still can't believe it.


Agreed. I have decent numbers, but definitely not ones that Michigan should be begging for.


+1 to all of this. I was planning on drafting a "Why Michigan?" today & submitting my app, but the death of a friend is setting me back. Will be submitting as soon as possible.

How is Michigan re: NY big law? I've heard relatively decent things.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 pm

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THE SPREADSHEET TABS ARE LOCKED DOWN THANKS TO A WONDERFUL TROLL. IF YOU NEED ACCESS TO THE SPREADSHEET, PM ME, AND I WILL GRANT IT ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. ALTERNATIVELY, PROVIDE ME WITH A GMAIL ACCOUNT (ANONYMOUS IS FINE) AND I WILL GRANT YOU SPECIFIC ACCESS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION. I APOLOGIZE, BUT YOU CAN THANK THE HEARTLESS, SPINELESS, IDIOTIC, PIECE OF CRAP, LIFELESS, BRAINLESS, SACK-OF-MONKEY-SHIT TROLL THAT CAUSED THIS.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm

IF YOU WANT ACCESS TO THE SPREADSHEET, FILL OUT THIS GOOGLE FORM:


https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ldw-ZoSkeML_oXXxzJt_VIAkme12VHauYSMsuY3YMks/viewform

UndecidedAndy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby UndecidedAndy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

In today via Status Checker. Anyone have any idea regarding scholarships for people accepted this late? I know there was some mention of a late January cutoff or something. Michigan is a top choice but not at sticker.

gadzoom
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Michigan Applicants C/O 2017 (Applicants 2013-2014)

Postby gadzoom » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 am

Congratulations!

Also, do we know if Dean Z's blog has been mothballed? It would be great to get some hints about what is going on with this strange cycle. Thoughts?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”