meegee wrote: RCO2012 wrote:
meegee wrote:I applied ED a little more than 2 weeks ago. My status checker has shown COMPLETE since at least 10/30, but I have yet to heard anything yet. As of today, it will have been 15 days since going COMPLETE. This is what it shows on my status checker: "We have received all the required pieces of your application, so it is now COMPLETE and will move into the review stage." For what it's worth, I received two initial emails indicating they have received my application, as well as my ED application, but that is it. I understand that the 15 day interval is when your application is determined as COMPLETE and when your residency status is determined. However, I did not apply as an in-state Virginia applicant.
How long does it take for residency to be determined, if you are out-of-state? Is my application process normal? Should I call and/or email them?
1) If you did not apply as in-state they will not be determining your residency status, so your date will be from the date you went complete.
2) No, that is not normal, but I would give them until COB today EST. After that, you may want to try to call tomorrow to see what's up. However, be mindful that they are hosting a reception for VA residents tomorrow, and be largely unavailable to take calls.
Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your prompt response and input. Really helped to calm me a bit. What does COB mean? I assume it mean's Closing of Business? AKA 17:00 eastern time?
But yeah, I'll probably be checking my status checker and email crazy today. If I don't hear anything, I'll call them tomorrow. If no luck, I'll shoot them an email.
I saw quite a few posts regarding interviews. Were most of the admitted applicants interviewed? Was it more so for those that applied RD, or have they also been interviewing most ED applicants? I just feel like it's a bad sign since I haven't received an interview request yet...
I did not write a "Why UVA" because I thought the fact that I EDed was enough on its own. I will def write a "Why UVA" after reading what you said. Even though it'll probably sound like most other "Why UVAs" (since I never actually visited the place, nor do I know anyone who attened UVA law, although I know people who attended UVA for undergrad), I guess it at least shows effort.
Once again, thanks for the input!
1) COB = close of business, so yes around 5:00 p.m. EST
2) I'll save you the headache and tell you that your status checker won't update for at least 24 hours (more often a couple of days) after you have been accepted, so I would focus more on your email and phone.
3) It is definitely safe to say that most applicants are being interviewed, and yes this includes everyone from low number, out of state, RD applicants to high number, in-state, ED applicants. I wouldn't stress too much about the lack of an interview request - a couple of applicants have been offered admissions with no interview, and in addition to that fact, the admissions office has been extremely overwhelmed since October LSAT scores were released. Also, with 5-6,000 applications I wouldn't be surprised if something fell off the normal routine every once in awhile, so that could also be a factor (which is a good reason to contact them if you don't hear back).
4) I would work the Why UVA into a LOCI, so don't make it completely revolve around the Why UVA but a paragraph or so about specific reasons will definitely help if in fact you do get wait listed. The rest of the LOCI can revolve around any thing you have accomplished since you submitted your application or anything you may have left out that you think the adcomm would benefit from knowing. There is a ton of information on TLS from previous cycles about great reasons to attend UVA. You may also want to read through the Class of 2016 thread for UVA and get some ideas as to what current students were excited about as they entered their 1L year. Also, UVA has student ambassadors that you may contact and speak with regarding UVA, and they are a wealth of information to include into that paragraph about Why UVA. In the instance that you need further information beyond those sources, feel free to PM me and I can discuss with you some thing based off of your interests that will fit into your LOCI (it's important to make sure the things that you state as reasons for wanting UVA match up closely with the rest of your interests in your application).