Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RCO2012

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:35 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Very excited to say that I was accepted earlier today!!!!!

UVA totally wooed me, and I'm really pumped to have such an amazing option for next fall!

PM me for stats or if you have questions about the interview. RD, submitted around a month ago

Yay! I was waiting for this one :D. I hope they wooed you enough to get you to come down here! :D

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:38 pm

paglababa wrote:Regarding optional essays, did everyone write a why UVA essay? I hear they YP otherwise? Also hows the scholarship process work? Do you apply for them or is merit $ simply awarded with acceptances?

Why UVA essays are helpful, but this year it seems that if they are concerned about your desire to attend UVA (for YP reasons) they will interview to get a sense of your interest. Regarding scholarships, this cycle is a little different. Admissions is saying most scholarship decisions will not start coming out until February or March. Last year they were awarded with the admissions offer. There is no separate application, all applicants are considered. HTH

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:45 pm

in at UVA today!!! I had my interview yesterday. RD, no why uva, not a VA resident, 3.75/171
Went complete probably about a month ago.

EzraFitz

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 pm

paglababa wrote:Regarding optional essays, did everyone write a why UVA essay? I hear they YP otherwise? Also hows the scholarship process work? Do you apply for them or is merit $ simply awarded with acceptances?

I did not write one

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

RCO2012 wrote:

Why UVA essays are helpful, but this year it seems that if they are concerned about your desire to attend UVA (for YP reasons) they will interview to get a sense of your interest. Regarding scholarships, this cycle is a little different. Admissions is saying most scholarship decisions will not start coming out until February or March. Last year they were awarded with the admissions offer. There is no separate application, all applicants are considered. HTH

So they will reach out to people and ask if they want to interview? Is this a phone interview like Harvards? Or is it an alumnai interview?

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm

paglababa wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

So they will reach out to people and ask if they want to interview? Is this a phone interview like Harvards? Or is it an alumnai interview?

Yes, they will request an interview with you if they are interested very similar to Harvard (except it is a one step interview rather than several). It is not an alumni interview it is with the Director of Admissions most frequently. In past cycles it has been with the Dean of Admissions, I have not heard of her conducting interview this cycle, but my sample size on that information is limited.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 pm

For those of you using the applicant Google Doc - if you choose to filter the data, please remember to set it back to show all data points before you leave. Thanks!

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:26 pm

I applied ED a little more than 2 weeks ago. My status checker has shown COMPLETE since at least 10/30, but I have yet to heard anything yet. As of today, it will have been 15 days since going COMPLETE. This is what it shows on my status checker: "We have received all the required pieces of your application, so it is now COMPLETE and will move into the review stage." For what it's worth, I received two initial emails indicating they have received my application, as well as my ED application, but that is it. I understand that the 15 day interval is when your application is determined as COMPLETE and when your residency status is determined. However, I did not apply as an in-state Virginia applicant.

How long does it take for residency to be determined, if you are out-of-state? Is my application process normal? Should I call and/or email them?

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm

meegee wrote:I applied ED a little more than 2 weeks ago. My status checker has shown COMPLETE since at least 10/30, but I have yet to heard anything yet. As of today, it will have been 15 days since going COMPLETE. This is what it shows on my status checker: "We have received all the required pieces of your application, so it is now COMPLETE and will move into the review stage." For what it's worth, I received two initial emails indicating they have received my application, as well as my ED application, but that is it. I understand that the 15 day interval is when your application is determined as COMPLETE and when your residency status is determined. However, I did not apply as an in-state Virginia applicant.

How long does it take for residency to be determined, if you are out-of-state? Is my application process normal? Should I call and/or email them?

1) If you did not apply as in-state they will not be determining your residency status, so your date will be from the date you went complete.

2) No, that is not normal, but I would give them until COB today EST. After that, you may want to try to call tomorrow to see what's up. However, be mindful that they are hosting a reception for VA residents tomorrow, and be largely unavailable to take calls.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:35 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
meegee wrote:I applied ED a little more than 2 weeks ago. My status checker has shown COMPLETE since at least 10/30, but I have yet to heard anything yet. As of today, it will have been 15 days since going COMPLETE. This is what it shows on my status checker: "We have received all the required pieces of your application, so it is now COMPLETE and will move into the review stage." For what it's worth, I received two initial emails indicating they have received my application, as well as my ED application, but that is it. I understand that the 15 day interval is when your application is determined as COMPLETE and when your residency status is determined. However, I did not apply as an in-state Virginia applicant.

1) If you did not apply as in-state they will not be determining your residency status, so your date will be from the date you went complete.

2) No, that is not normal, but I would give them until COB today EST. After that, you may want to try to call tomorrow to see what's up. However, be mindful that they are hosting a reception for VA residents tomorrow, and be largely unavailable to take calls.

Also, I saw one of your earlier posts. Did you end up writing a Why UVA? With your numbers, even though you ED'd, it wouldn't hurt to write a Why essay. Applying ED let's them know that they are your #1 choice, but a Why UVA essay can give them a reason to want to admit you. Admissions officers that know that their school is your dream school are looking for a reason to consider you, and if you convince them of why they are your top choice, and not just well "you are the highest school that my numbers will let me get into," you can definitely score some points. If you didn't do this, and you end up on WL (hopefully not), I would sincerely consider working this into your LOCI and keeping in touch with admissions officials to express specific reasons as to why you applied ED to UVA. Best of luck to you!

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 pm

RCO2012 wrote:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your prompt response and input. Really helped to calm me a bit. What does COB mean? I assume it mean's Closing of Business? AKA 17:00 eastern time?

But yeah, I'll probably be checking my status checker and email crazy today. If I don't hear anything, I'll call them tomorrow. If no luck, I'll shoot them an email.

I saw quite a few posts regarding interviews. Were most of the admitted applicants interviewed? Was it more so for those that applied RD, or have they also been interviewing most ED applicants? I just feel like it's a bad sign since I haven't received an interview request yet...

I did not write a "Why UVA" because I thought the fact that I EDed was enough on its own. I will def write a "Why UVA" after reading what you said. Even though it'll probably sound like most other "Why UVAs" (since I never actually visited the place, nor do I know anyone who attened UVA law, although I know people who attended UVA for undergrad), I guess it at least shows effort.

Once again, thanks for the input!

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm

meegee wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your prompt response and input. Really helped to calm me a bit. What does COB mean? I assume it mean's Closing of Business? AKA 17:00 eastern time?

But yeah, I'll probably be checking my status checker and email crazy today. If I don't hear anything, I'll call them tomorrow. If no luck, I'll shoot them an email.

I saw quite a few posts regarding interviews. Were most of the admitted applicants interviewed? Was it more so for those that applied RD, or have they also been interviewing most ED applicants? I just feel like it's a bad sign since I haven't received an interview request yet...

I did not write a "Why UVA" because I thought the fact that I EDed was enough on its own. I will def write a "Why UVA" after reading what you said. Even though it'll probably sound like most other "Why UVAs" (since I never actually visited the place, nor do I know anyone who attened UVA law, although I know people who attended UVA for undergrad), I guess it at least shows effort.

Once again, thanks for the input!

1) COB = close of business, so yes around 5:00 p.m. EST
2) I'll save you the headache and tell you that your status checker won't update for at least 24 hours (more often a couple of days) after you have been accepted, so I would focus more on your email and phone. :D
3) It is definitely safe to say that most applicants are being interviewed, and yes this includes everyone from low number, out of state, RD applicants to high number, in-state, ED applicants. I wouldn't stress too much about the lack of an interview request - a couple of applicants have been offered admissions with no interview, and in addition to that fact, the admissions office has been extremely overwhelmed since October LSAT scores were released. Also, with 5-6,000 applications I wouldn't be surprised if something fell off the normal routine every once in awhile, so that could also be a factor (which is a good reason to contact them if you don't hear back).
4) I would work the Why UVA into a LOCI, so don't make it completely revolve around the Why UVA but a paragraph or so about specific reasons will definitely help if in fact you do get wait listed. The rest of the LOCI can revolve around any thing you have accomplished since you submitted your application or anything you may have left out that you think the adcomm would benefit from knowing. There is a ton of information on TLS from previous cycles about great reasons to attend UVA. You may also want to read through the Class of 2016 thread for UVA and get some ideas as to what current students were excited about as they entered their 1L year. Also, UVA has student ambassadors that you may contact and speak with regarding UVA, and they are a wealth of information to include into that paragraph about Why UVA. In the instance that you need further information beyond those sources, feel free to PM me and I can discuss with you some thing based off of your interests that will fit into your LOCI (it's important to make sure the things that you state as reasons for wanting UVA match up closely with the rest of your interests in your application).

HTH

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Check out:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219901#top

Just added UVA to the list of spreadsheet trackers.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:59 pm

I've been complete over a month, in the YP range, haven't heard a word. Probably a bad sign right?

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 pm

HarvardHopeful wrote:I've been complete over a month, in the YP range, haven't heard a word. Probably a bad sign right?

Definitely not. Like I said earlier, the admissions office has been overwhelmed since October scores came out. Next week will probably be a big week for RD, and then a couple more waves until mid-December, when decisions will increase substantially.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
HarvardHopeful wrote:I've been complete over a month, in the YP range, haven't heard a word. Probably a bad sign right?

Definitely not. Like I said earlier, the admissions office has been overwhelmed since October scores came out. Next week will probably be a big week for RD, and then a couple more waves until mid-December, when decisions will increase substantially.

I hope so!!

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Is anyone getting in without an interview? what type of stats do they have?

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 pm

phillywc wrote:Is anyone getting in without an interview? what type of stats do they have?

Some earlier applicants have, but nobody recently that I know of. One was a splitter, and the other one I can't recall their stats. Seems random.

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Just got an email asking me to call them to talk about my application. Had a very short interview. Then she said "congratulations on your acceptance"

OMG WOW. She said to expect some package on Monday and whatnot. I still can't believe it's real. I'm wondering if this is a hallucination or something.

For people applying: I'm a splitter, applied ED, and I did not receive an email asking for an interview until today. I applied on 10/29, went complete on 10/30. So if you've been waiting and there has been no word, wait a little more, there's always hope!

LEPWU

Postby LEPWU » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Congratulations meegee, that's wonderful!!!

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:28 pm

meegee wrote:Just got an email asking me to call them to talk about my application. Had a very short interview. Then she said "congratulations on your acceptance"

OMG WOW. She said to expect some package on Monday and whatnot. I still can't believe it's real. I'm wondering if this is a hallucination or something.

For people applying: I'm a splitter, applied ED, and I did not receive an email asking for an interview until today. I applied on 10/29, went complete on 10/30. So if you've been waiting and there has been no word, wait a little more, there's always hope!

Congrats! Strange they went past the 15 days. Your post made me super excited though, you'll love UVA I'm sure! Have you visited?

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for the congrats all! I haven't visited before. I've been to DC though, really liked it. But then again, I like museums. Had a couple of friends who went for undergrad. Said they liked it. So I'm really stoked.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm

meegee wrote:Thanks for the congrats all! I haven't visited before. I've been to DC though, really liked it. But then again, I like museums. Had a couple of friends who went for undergrad. Said they liked it. So I'm really stoked.

It's beautiful. Great environment!

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

That is awesome meegee congratulations!!!
I am hoping I will get a similar call soon as well, although it is a bit of a reach for me. I applied around the same time as you.

samoby

Postby samoby » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:33 pm

meegee wrote:Just got an email asking me to call them to talk about my application. Had a very short interview. Then she said "congratulations on your acceptance"

That's fantastic!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”