Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool22

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Waitlisted. Applied late Nov/Early Dec Above both 75ths. No Why UVA? No interview

I guess I can't say I'm surprised.

We have completed review of your application for fall 2014 admission to University of Virginia School of Law.

To date, we have reviewed thousands of applications and are seeing incredibly strong candidates in our applicant pool. You are one of those very strong candidates and we commend you for your extraordinary accomplishments. As we try to manage our enrollment and avoid bringing in a class that is too large, we are proceeding cautiously and are inviting you, along with a number of other outstanding candidates, to be on our wait list. The wait list is a very important part of our admissions process.

As in last year’s admissions cycle, we expect to make a number of offers of admission to wait-listed candidates during May, June, and July. We believe that you would excel at Virginia Law and we hope to be able to offer you admission. We will do our best to have a final decision for you as soon as possible.

If you wish to supplement your application with additional information at any point, please feel free to do so. And please note that we do not rank our wait list. When we are able to make offers of admission to wait-listed candidates, we will review the entire list.

Thinking about withdrawing but I don't really see a point in it

:( Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. I'm not withdrawing either. I'll make them reject me, no need to self-reject.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
:( Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. I'm not withdrawing either. I'll make them reject me, no need to self-reject.

My sentiments exactly.

MnM22

Postby MnM22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Waitlisted as well. (Second year in a row.)

I'm assuming this was a wave?

username201

Postby username201 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Waitlisted.......... i dont get it :(

LSAT >75%
GPA >50%

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:40 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

Does UVA rank their waitlist? If so wouldn't withdrawing help those sitting on the waitlist, possibly with lower numbers, who genuinely want UVA?

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

Does UVA rank their waitlist? If so wouldn't withdrawing help those sitting on the waitlist, possibly with lower numbers, who genuinely want UVA?

According to the email quoted on the last page they don't rank the waitlist. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't help those with lower numbers.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

According to the email quoted on the last page they don't rank the waitlist. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't help those with lower numbers.

I mean if there's a 0% chance you would attend then sure, withdraw. But even then I don't know why you wouldn't wait and see if you get some $$ that you could negotiate with.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

I mean if there's a 0% chance you would attend then sure, withdraw. But even then I don't know why you wouldn't wait and see if you get some $$ that you could negotiate with.

I understand trying to come off the waitlist in hopes to get some money to negotiate with, hell I would too.

But, from your tone, and T14orbust's tone, it seems as if you have no interest of coming off the waitlist, and would rather just sit there for months with no LOCI in hopes they eventually reject you. To me that would be dumb and selfish for those who aren't YP WLs.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

I understand trying to come off the waitlist in hopes to get some money to negotiate with, hell I would too.

But, from your tone, and T14orbust's tone, it seems as if you have no interest of coming off the waitlist, and would rather just sit there for months with no LOCI in hopes they eventually reject you. To me that would be dumb and selfish for those who aren't YP WLs.

That is definitely not my intention, though I can understand why you may have come to that conclusion. I'm all for helping out the other applicants and TLSers, and if that means withdrawing then so be it. For now I will be doing more research into UVA to see whether or not I REALLY want it, and if a large sum of money would convince me to attend there. If I don't decide to LOCI in the next month or so then I will withdraw. If anyone knows whether or not YPers withdrawing helps other applicants out, and what the timeline would be to help them out most is, then please let me know. It's been fun.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

If you read my posts when I first talked about being WL'd, you will see that UVA was one of my very top choices, considering I am gunning for DC. I also talked about how I plan to visit, as well as write a LOCI.

Sorry if the way I phrased that made it sound like I was just going to hog a spot on the waitlist. I really was meaning it as a "fight to the death, don't surrender, make them be the ones to reject you" sort of thing." So I'm definitely not doing what you're describing.

However, I will take issue with your stance though. I have no problem with someone sitting on the waitlist, even if he or she really has very little intention of attending, in order to see what kind of scholarship offer they get. They paid the app fee (or possibly just the LSAC fee), took the time to apply, earned anLSAT score and GPA, etc., just like everyone else. They are perfectly welcome to sit on that waitlist forever if they want. I mean, that's a big reason people apply to half the schools they do, for scholly negotiation purposes. I wasn't saying they are "hoping" to get rejected, just that there's no point in giving up early without waiting to see what happens.

Now, once you have chosen a school, put in your seat deposit, secured housing, etc., then yes, you should withdraw.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

lawschool22 wrote:If you read my posts when I first talked about being WL'd, you will see that UVA was one of my very top choices, considering I am gunning for DC. I also talked about how I plan to visit, as well as write a LOCI.

Sorry if the way I phrased that made it sound like I was just going to hog a spot on the waitlist. I really was meaning it as a "fight to the death, don't surrender, make them be the ones to reject you" sort of thing." So I'm definitely not doing what you're describing.

However, I will take issue with your stance though. I have no problem with someone sitting on the waitlist, even if he or she really has very little intention of attending, in order to see what kind of scholarship offer they get. They paid the app fee (or possibly just the LSAC fee), took the time to apply, earned anLSAT score and GPA, etc., just like everyone else. They are perfectly welcome to sit on that waitlist forever if they want. I mean, that's a big reason people apply to half the schools they do, for scholly negotiation purposes. I wasn't saying they are "hoping" to get rejected, just that there's no point in giving up early without waiting to see what happens.

Now, once you have chosen a school, put in your seat deposit, secured housing, etc., then yes, you should withdraw.

t-14orbust wrote:That is definitely not my intention, though I can understand why you may have come to that conclusion. I'm all for helping out the other applicants and TLSers, and if that means withdrawing then so be it. For now I will be doing more research into UVA to see whether or not I REALLY want it, and if a large sum of money would convince me to attend there. If I don't decide to LOCI in the next month or so then I will withdraw. If anyone knows whether or not YPers withdrawing helps other applicants out, and what the timeline would be to help them out most is, then please let me know. It's been fun.

Fair points that, I think, cleared the air. I may have taken your comments out of context to your own personal situations, and for that I apologize. Like I said, I defintely don't have a problem with a genuine interest, or atleast in an interest in using the school as leverage and maybe developing an interest. Carry on!

samoby

Postby samoby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

IN!!! (via email)

Applied 10/28, complete 10/29
Interviewed via Skype 1/17 (roughly 40 min. long) and felt like it went really well

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 pm

samoby wrote:IN!!! (via email)

Interviewed via Skype 1/17 (roughly 40 min. long) and felt like it went really well

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

Congrats! Why such a long interview? Most people were quoting around 8-10mins, right?

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 pm

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

Congrats!!!!

samoby

Postby samoby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:04 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

Congrats! Why such a long interview? Most people were quoting around 8-10mins, right?

Thank you! I'm not sure why it was so long but it was very relaxed. I'm not sure how long other interviews have been.

kershka

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

40 min seems on the long side but who do you know who only had an 8 minute interview? FWIW, mine was about 30 minutes though it only ended because I ran out of time; he was fine with continuing for longer so I could ask more questions.)

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:27 pm

kershka wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

40 min seems on the long side but who do you know who only had an 8 minute interview? FWIW, mine was about 30 minutes though it only ended because I ran out of time; he was fine with continuing for longer so I could ask more questions.)

I don't know. I thought I remembered reading it earlier in the thread. Honestly though, I've been checking these threads so much, I wouldn't be surprised if I dreamed it.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

lowdmouse wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:
Blitzwire wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?

Had mine last thursday, got accepted yesterday. Was super casual, seemed very much the antithesis of a Northwestern/JS1 interview. We chatted real quick about where I'm studying for undergrad, and then dove pretty much into application specific material (aka specific aspects of my personal statement/resume). It's fairly informal, but do wear a suit anyway. Really looking for whether or not you're a personable character, if you can interact in an engaging manner, less so than what your actual interests are, such as why you want to go to law school, why UVA, standard questions etc. (at least it appeared that way for me).

Cool guy, interview was over in a flash. Good luck!

Awesome - thanks. Definitely great to hear.

This was my experience too. Mine was over in 8 minutes, three of which were JD telling me how often they get people to come down from DC to lecture. It was a very casual conversation (but I would wear a suit) about my application. I wouldn't stress about it, just know your own app and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Nope, definitely stated by lowdmouse. Good to know I'm not dreaming about these threads.

emmybee

Postby emmybee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:30 pm

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

Congrats!! :D

kershka

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Nope, definitely stated by lowdmouse. Good to know I'm not dreaming about these threads.

Huh, weird. Every UVA interview is so different *shrugs*

samoby

Postby samoby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:12 pm

emmybee wrote:

LSAT at 75th, GPA <25th
PM for specifics/details

So, SO excited!!!

Congrats!! :D

Thank you! :D

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 pm

How am I already under review?! Is it supposed to be this fast? I'm so nervous. :(

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm

wealtheow wrote:How am I already under review?! Is it supposed to be this fast? I'm so nervous. :(

UVA applications go complete pretty quickly…decisions after that can take a lonnnnggg time. Best of luck.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:04 pm

wealtheow wrote:How am I already under review?! Is it supposed to be this fast? I'm so nervous. :(

UVA's status checker only has a "complete and under review," which is essentially just a complete and they won't update it again.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”