Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2014entering2014
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 2014entering2014 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 am

is anyone a current UVA Law student/willing to talk to help me sort out options? :D

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 am

2014entering2014 wrote:is anyone a current UVA Law student/willing to talk to help me sort out options? :D


Check the Ask a Student forum - lots of help there for what you're looking for. Also, you can post your options (once you have your total COA) in the Choosing forum.

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ejan1621 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Got an email to talk about my app. Submitted in early November, I think?

User avatar
MnM22
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MnM22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 pm

ejan1621 wrote:Got an email to talk about my app. Submitted in early November, I think?


What are your stats? Are they YP territory?

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I don't understand why I haven't gotten at least an interview invitation. I submitted in late November, LSAT>75th & GPA>median. I would have thought I would have heard at least something by now.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:58 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:I don't understand why I haven't gotten at least an interview invitation. I submitted in late November, LSAT>75th & GPA>median. I would have thought I would have heard at least something by now.


you aren't alone

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kershka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:01 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:I don't understand why I haven't gotten at least an interview invitation. I submitted in late November, LSAT>75th & GPA>median. I would have thought I would have heard at least something by now.

Yeah, UVA is really inconsistent with their timing. Don't stress yet, however. I submitted in early October and didn't receive any communication from UVA until mid-to-late December. There doesn't seem to be a clear reason why some people get really fast responses and others of us have to wait for months. It doesn't have any bearing on your chance of admittance though!

User avatar
ObviousAlias
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ObviousAlias » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Waitlisted. FML.

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BerkeleyMan5
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 1:33 am

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BerkeleyMan5 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 pm

.
Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cocoblues » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
ObviousAlias wrote:Waitlisted. FML.


Sorry to hear it, but great avatar.


+1

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby riverwater » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:21 am

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Checking in. I submitted early January but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with writing a why UVA after turning in their application? Or would it be better to save that for a LOCI considering how many waitlists seem to be going out right now? Thanks!


If I were you I would submit one as soon as possible. It would seem to me that you could find enough to write about for both a Why UVA and a LOCI. Why resign yourself to the waitlist when a great Why UVA may be able to get you an acceptance?

BerkeleyMan5
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 1:33 am

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BerkeleyMan5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 am

.
Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby riverwater » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:01 am

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Thanks for the advice. You don't think they'd care that I was sending it after turning in my app? I've been to UVA a handful of times so I think I'd have some good stuff to right about.


That I don't know, although I believe some people sent in their Why Duke late and still got in.

Edit: Submitting a Why X essay late may not be as good as submitting one with the original application, but I still think it's better than not submitting one at all.

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Carter1901 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:52 pm

This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?

Blitzwire
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Blitzwire » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Carter1901 wrote:This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?


Had mine last thursday, got accepted yesterday. Was super casual, seemed very much the antithesis of a Northwestern/JS1 interview. We chatted real quick about where I'm studying for undergrad, and then dove pretty much into application specific material (aka specific aspects of my personal statement/resume). It's fairly informal, but do wear a suit anyway. Really looking for whether or not you're a personable character, if you can interact in an engaging manner, less so than what your actual interests are, such as why you want to go to law school, why UVA, standard questions etc. (at least it appeared that way for me).

Cool guy, interview was over in a flash. Good luck!

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Carter1901 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Blitzwire wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?


Had mine last thursday, got accepted yesterday. Was super casual, seemed very much the antithesis of a Northwestern/JS1 interview. We chatted real quick about where I'm studying for undergrad, and then dove pretty much into application specific material (aka specific aspects of my personal statement/resume). It's fairly informal, but do wear a suit anyway. Really looking for whether or not you're a personable character, if you can interact in an engaging manner, less so than what your actual interests are, such as why you want to go to law school, why UVA, standard questions etc. (at least it appeared that way for me).

Cool guy, interview was over in a flash. Good luck!


Awesome - thanks. Definitely great to hear.

lowdmouse
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lowdmouse » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Carter1901 wrote:
Blitzwire wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?


Had mine last thursday, got accepted yesterday. Was super casual, seemed very much the antithesis of a Northwestern/JS1 interview. We chatted real quick about where I'm studying for undergrad, and then dove pretty much into application specific material (aka specific aspects of my personal statement/resume). It's fairly informal, but do wear a suit anyway. Really looking for whether or not you're a personable character, if you can interact in an engaging manner, less so than what your actual interests are, such as why you want to go to law school, why UVA, standard questions etc. (at least it appeared that way for me).

Cool guy, interview was over in a flash. Good luck!


Awesome - thanks. Definitely great to hear.


This was my experience too. Mine was over in 8 minutes, three of which were JD telling me how often they get people to come down from DC to lecture. It was a very casual conversation (but I would wear a suit) about my application. I wouldn't stress about it, just know your own app and you'll be fine. Good luck!

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby RCO2012 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

lowdmouse wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:
Blitzwire wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:This may've been mentioned earlier here, but anyone have any insights for the skype/phone interview with Dean Dugas? Mine's slated for next week. Should I be thinking essentially on par with a JS1?


Had mine last thursday, got accepted yesterday. Was super casual, seemed very much the antithesis of a Northwestern/JS1 interview. We chatted real quick about where I'm studying for undergrad, and then dove pretty much into application specific material (aka specific aspects of my personal statement/resume). It's fairly informal, but do wear a suit anyway. Really looking for whether or not you're a personable character, if you can interact in an engaging manner, less so than what your actual interests are, such as why you want to go to law school, why UVA, standard questions etc. (at least it appeared that way for me).

Cool guy, interview was over in a flash. Good luck!


Awesome - thanks. Definitely great to hear.


This was my experience too. Mine was over in 8 minutes, three of which were JD telling me how often they get people to come down from DC to lecture. It was a very casual conversation (but I would wear a suit) about my application. I wouldn't stress about it, just know your own app and you'll be fine. Good luck!


Knowing your application is the key to an interview with JD, because he will know it well when speaking with you. Also, make sure to have well-rounded questions lined up for the end of the interview. Just a note that may help in the future - Dugas is not a dean, he is the Director of Admissions (just to save you when responding to emails and what not). Good luck!

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 pm

I wonder if all three interviewers do the interviews pretty much the same

User avatar
a.sleepyhead
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby a.sleepyhead » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Just got into UVA! Received an email asking me to call, which I did. We talked about the weather, etc., and she asked me if I was interested in UVA. Said yes, then she said she was sending me an acceptance email, which I received soon after. I hadn't interviewed or anything prior to this phone call.

:D and :?:

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:35 pm

a.sleepyhead wrote:Just got into UVA! Received an email asking me to call, which I did. We talked about the weather, etc., and she asked me if I was interested in UVA. Said yes, then she said she was sending me an acceptance email, which I received soon after. I hadn't interviewed or anything prior to this phone call.

:D and :?:


YAY congrats!!

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 pm

a.sleepyhead wrote:Just got into UVA! Received an email asking me to call, which I did. We talked about the weather, etc., and she asked me if I was interested in UVA. Said yes, then she said she was sending me an acceptance email, which I received soon after. I hadn't interviewed or anything prior to this phone call.

:D and :?:


Holy shit! Congrats!

Date complete?

User avatar
a.sleepyhead
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby a.sleepyhead » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
a.sleepyhead wrote:Just got into UVA! Received an email asking me to call, which I did. We talked about the weather, etc., and she asked me if I was interested in UVA. Said yes, then she said she was sending me an acceptance email, which I received soon after. I hadn't interviewed or anything prior to this phone call.

:D and :?:


Holy shit! Congrats!

Date complete?


Thanks! 11/30 - stats in the spreadsheet.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm

a.sleepyhead wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
a.sleepyhead wrote:Just got into UVA! Received an email asking me to call, which I did. We talked about the weather, etc., and she asked me if I was interested in UVA. Said yes, then she said she was sending me an acceptance email, which I received soon after. I hadn't interviewed or anything prior to this phone call.

:D and :?:


Holy shit! Congrats!

Date complete?


Thanks! 11/30 - stats in the spreadsheet.


Resident status?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”