Post removed.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emmybee

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby emmybee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Anyone still waiting who applied mid-end of October ?

Still waiting here. Hoping that surviving the WL wave was a good sign.

I was thinking the same thing... but in my case it's just wishful thinking

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:32 pm

RCO2012 wrote:Woah. I guess I better hop in the discussion now that I'm caught up. I think the interview process was covered as far as how it happens, so if there is more clarification needed there, ask. A couple of things to keep in mind now that the first wave has gone out, and people are kind of up in the air wondering. UVA reportedly did accept close to 20% of its entering class from the wait list last year. I do not expect that to be the case this year. First, overall there is about a 15% decrease in applications to schools in general. This is making UVA take a holistic approach to reviewing applications. This is also why we've seen some really low scores get accepted, and some really high scorers rejected/WL'd. Second, I would not count on the YP theory this cycle. UVA is interviewing those that were in the YP area if they met the other qualifications (this goes back to the holistic approach). So, overall, I would say that if you were near YP stats and a candidate that they were considering you would have most likely received an interview request that would have been utilized to get a sense of your desire to attend UVA vs. your hope to use them as a safety school, and if they decided to offer admissions they would have most likely attempted to gain a verbal understanding that you will attend before offering admission. Third, UVA is lowering its class size for the second year in a row, so this is giving them the ability to be more selective in those that they offer admissions to. For those of you still waiting, I wouldn't be too startled by this, it is rather common for a large batch of WL/rejections to come out around this time. If you did not submit a Why UVA, now may be the time. Also, I cleaned up my inbox again this afternoon, so feel free to throw more at me if you're still nervous and have questions. Best of luck to everyone.

I've been wondering: are T14 apps actually down or is it the overall count to all law schools that is down? My impression has been that many of T14 schools are still receiving a consistent number of apps each year.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:Woah. I guess I better hop in the discussion now that I'm caught up. I think the interview process was covered as far as how it happens, so if there is more clarification needed there, ask. A couple of things to keep in mind now that the first wave has gone out, and people are kind of up in the air wondering. UVA reportedly did accept close to 20% of its entering class from the wait list last year. I do not expect that to be the case this year. First, overall there is about a 15% decrease in applications to schools in general. This is making UVA take a holistic approach to reviewing applications. This is also why we've seen some really low scores get accepted, and some really high scorers rejected/WL'd. Second, I would not count on the YP theory this cycle. UVA is interviewing those that were in the YP area if they met the other qualifications (this goes back to the holistic approach). So, overall, I would say that if you were near YP stats and a candidate that they were considering you would have most likely received an interview request that would have been utilized to get a sense of your desire to attend UVA vs. your hope to use them as a safety school, and if they decided to offer admissions they would have most likely attempted to gain a verbal understanding that you will attend before offering admission. Third, UVA is lowering its class size for the second year in a row, so this is giving them the ability to be more selective in those that they offer admissions to. For those of you still waiting, I wouldn't be too startled by this, it is rather common for a large batch of WL/rejections to come out around this time. If you did not submit a Why UVA, now may be the time. Also, I cleaned up my inbox again this afternoon, so feel free to throw more at me if you're still nervous and have questions. Best of luck to everyone.

I've been wondering: are T14 apps actually down or is it the overall count to all law schools that is down? My impression has been that many of T14 schools are still receiving a consistent number of apps each year.

Overall count to all schools. I would say T14 have remained relatively consistent. I mean T6 probably won't be affected much, but below that I think will be hit slightly (maybe more than slightly). Last year's decrease for UVA was less than 1%, but the year prior was around 18%.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 pm

emmybee wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Anyone still waiting who applied mid-end of October ?

Still waiting here. Hoping that surviving the WL wave was a good sign.

I was thinking the same thing... but in my case it's just wishful thinking

Eh, you're medians. I think you SHOULD be okay, provided UVA hasn't completely lost it.

emmybee

Postby emmybee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Question for RCO and others:

What does this person getting waitlisted suggest?

Nailed both their c/o 2016 medians right on the head, still waitlisted today via email.

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

Is UVA trying to raise their medians (I suppose schools are always trying to)? Or am I being silly trying to extrapolate from one data point 8)

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm

emmybee wrote:Question for RCO and others:

Nailed both their c/o 2016 medians right on the head, still waitlisted today via email.

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

Is UVA trying to raise their medians (I suppose schools are always trying to)? Or am I being silly trying to extrapolate from one data point 8)

I do not think it means anything in the big picture. There are a lot of variables that could explain why one person at the medians would be rejected. I do not think admissions are based entirely on numbers.

No offense towards the person who was waitlisted.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

lol go back and read the paragraph. UVA is truly being holistic this year and picky I might add. I wouldn't think much of it. Not everything is numbers this cycle for uva. I'm sure they're aiming to get back to 170 though.

emmybee

Postby emmybee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 pm

RCO2012 wrote:

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

lol go back and read the paragraph. UVA is truly being holistic this year and picky I might add. I wouldn't think much of it. Not everything is numbers this cycle for uva. I'm sure they're aiming to get back to 170 though.

Thanks! I did read your paragraph, thank you for the detailed explanations :D

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Last edited by JustHawkin on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:51 pm

emmybee wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

Thanks! I did read your paragraph, thank you for the detailed explanations :D

Lol didn't mean that to sound rude. Was typing on my phone quickly before leaving work. No problem!

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:51 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Complete with December score. My top school.

Congrats! Good luck!

emmybee

Postby emmybee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Lol no worries RCO, I didn't think it sounded rude. You seriously are really helpful!

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:57 pm

emmybee wrote:Lol no worries RCO, I didn't think it sounded rude. You seriously are really helpful!

Good. :D

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm

While this is fresh in my mind - there was someone earlier looking for info on the townhomes at arlington park. I can't remember if it was here or on the class of thread, but if you're still reading I have some new info.

joshringu

Postby joshringu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 pm

REJECTED!! Unfortunate, but was expected.

kershka

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Wow, I miss one day of TLS and suddenly the UVA thread explodes. I wasn't expecting this much movement on the day after New Year's and that makes me very nervous for my upcoming interview. Some very qualified people were waitlisted today; out of curiosity, how many of the WL people wrote "Why UVAs"?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Gooner91 wrote:

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

I do not think it means anything in the big picture. There are a lot of variables that could explain why one person at the medians would be rejected. I do not think admissions are based entirely on numbers.

None taken, everybody.

For the record, I did not write a Why UVA essay or have a connection to the east coast. And I am a K-JD who is also graduating UG early. They might think it's a maturity risk. Also I'm from pretty far away in the Midwest, and go to a solid but not well known college.

I was under the impression that softs wouldn't matter but I suppose I have relatively weak ones. I still don't think softs matter for the high majority of people. Bottom line, I would still say almost no one gets a boost, but some (perhaps myself included) get slightly decreased chances.

UVA was just a "pride application" for me, and while my pride may have taken a slight hit, it's nbd really. I got a good scholarship to my #1 choice already, so there's no way for me to be disappointed with the rest of my cycle.

Good luck to you all!

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

Submitted 11/12/13
No interview invite

None taken, everybody.

For the record, I did not write a Why UVA essay or have a connection to the east coast. And I am a K-JD who is also graduating UG early. They might think it's a maturity risk. Also I'm from pretty far away in the Midwest, and go to a solid but not well known college.

I was under the impression that softs wouldn't matter but I suppose I have relatively weak ones. I still don't think softs matter for the high majority of people. Bottom line, I would still say almost no one gets a boost, but some (perhaps myself included) get slightly decreased chances.

UVA was just a "pride application" for me, and while my pride may have taken a slight hit, it's nbd really. I got a good scholarship to my #1 choice already, so there's no way for me to be disappointed with the rest of my cycle.

Good luck to you all!

Glad to hear your cycle worked out for you.

Pyromancer

Postby Pyromancer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Having a hard time deciding if it's worth it to use my early binding decision to UVA. 3.7 and just got back a 169 from December. It's definitely my number one choice but unsure if it's wasting my one binding application with a GPA under the median. Thoughts?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:24 pm

LoganFL wrote:Having a hard time deciding if it's worth it to use my early binding decision to UVA. 3.7 and just got back a 169 from December. It's definitely my number one choice but unsure if it's wasting my one binding application with a GPA under the median. Thoughts?

Where would you rather go? Applying ED will probably help your chances a bit.

Serett

Postby Serett » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:25 pm

LoganFL wrote:Having a hard time deciding if it's worth it to use my early binding decision to UVA. 3.7 and just got back a 169 from December. It's definitely my number one choice but unsure if it's wasting my one binding application with a GPA under the median. Thoughts?

If money is an object, I wouldn't do it. Your numbers should get you into at least one if not a couple lower T14, and I'd personally want to play the scholarship game between them. If money doesn't matter or you want UVA enough that you would go for sticker, then go for it.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Serett wrote:

If money is an object, I wouldn't do it. Your numbers should get you into at least one if not a couple lower T14, and I'd personally want to play the scholarship game between them. If money doesn't matter or you want UVA enough that you would go for sticker, then go for it.

ED will help your chances, and if you scroll through the UVA applicants thread from last cycle you'll find a few people who noted that they received more money than they thought they would have after applying ED. So, I wouldn't let money affect your decision beyond the ability to negotiate between schools. UVA/Penn are good targets, but as you can see UVA WL'd people at the medians today (again, don't know their whole application), so any boost counts. If you would be happy at UVA, and it's your #1 then go for it. I also think the ED boost helps a little bit more at this stage in the cycle. RD applicants are probably going to be waiting until February/March if they apply in January with the pace of UVA this cycle, so that puts them in after many people will have received decisions. For those of you applying RD in January, don't take this as me saying your chances are slim lol! That's not what I'm saying at all, just that chances begin to decline the later your application is viewed.

mont4620

Postby mont4620 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Is UVA a school that's been know to waitlist or deny applicants to protect their yield? I ask because I'm above the 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA and have gotten into higher ranked schools, but was waitlisted by them today. Is that a possible motivation? Especially if I did not write a "why UVA" essay?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 pm

mont4620 wrote:Is UVA a school that's been know to waitlist or deny applicants to protect their yield? I ask because I'm above the 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA and have gotten into higher ranked schools, but was waitlisted by them today. Is that a possible motivation? Especially if I did not write a "why UVA" essay?

some people might disagree about what it means this year, but UVA is very known for yield protecting.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Did anyone apply mid-November and get a response?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”